Author Topic: Tyrone Mears  (Read 60896 times)

Atomic

• WBA Coach

Re: Tyrone Mears
« Reply #250 on: January 27, 2019, 09:14:11 AM »
He defended well today to his credit

My only problem is that he does not possess the forward ability that Townsend and Gibbs offer - it was noticeable that when our midfield was narrow and Harper was looking for the option wide, Mears was often hanging back on half way

That might be to save us being caught on the counter but if you’re overloading the middle and playing narrow then you ideally need some width from somewhere

He doesn't have the legs to do that mate. To be fair to him he's a good, honest pro who came in as sort of an emergency because we didn't have a right back. We are wrong to expect too much of him.

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #251 on: January 27, 2019, 09:20:28 AM »
Thats what I mean really, not saying he should be starting or anything but I think he can actually do a job if needed to.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #252 on: January 27, 2019, 11:54:50 AM »
If we don't get any more defenders in, and especially if Toisin goes, I think he will be perfectly OK bench/backup.

baggie_liam

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #253 on: January 27, 2019, 12:35:23 PM »
He defended well today to his credit

My only problem is that he does not possess the forward ability that Townsend and Gibbs offer - it was noticeable that when our midfield was narrow and Harper was looking for the option wide, Mears was often hanging back on half way

That might be to save us being caught on the counter but if you’re overloading the middle and playing narrow then you ideally need some width from somewhere

Tbf to him he, is probably 15 years older than both of those two players

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #254 on: January 27, 2019, 05:04:31 PM »
Have to give bloke credit for his performance yesterday, seemed solid in a back four.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #255 on: January 28, 2019, 01:07:10 PM »

Tbf to him he, is probably 15 years older than both of those two players

I don't disagree - it highlights the failings of our recruitment and management team not to address this issue in the summer, rather than relying on a mate of Moore's to carry us through.

To have started the season with no recognised right back was insane.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Wigmore

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #256 on: January 28, 2019, 03:53:47 PM »
I don't disagree - it highlights the failings of our recruitment and management team not to address this issue in the summer, rather than relying on a mate of Moore's to carry us through.

To have started the season with no recognised right back was insane.
Your criticism would be wholly justified if the club had made no effort to find a long term RB.
But, unless you can prove that the club sat on their hands, and did not try to recruit, I think you should moderate your language.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #257 on: January 29, 2019, 06:23:24 PM »
Your criticism would be wholly justified if the club had made no effort to find a long term RB.
But, unless you can prove that the club sat on their hands, and did not try to recruit, I think you should moderate your language.

Thank you - but I will not be moderating my language.

I never accused the club of sitting on their hands - I accused them of failing to address the issue - which is correct

And to start the season with no recognised right back was insane.

You leave the moderating advice to me..

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #258 on: January 29, 2019, 07:07:47 PM »

Meanwhile back on topic, I have to think that Mears has been a “success “ in as much that we had no alternative and he (and Tosin) have plugged the hole for 6 months without the club having to find a transfer fee or a long term contract
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 07:13:31 PM by Dexy »
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Wigmore

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #259 on: January 29, 2019, 08:08:30 PM »
Thank you - but I will not be moderating my language.

I never accused the club of sitting on their hands - I accused them of failing to address the issue - which is correct

And to start the season with no recognised right back was insane.

You leave the moderating advice to me..
If you wish to insult the club (that you purport to support) with inane slurs such as 'insane', carry on. Rather diminishes the thrust of your argument imo.
And, I repeat, just how do you know what efforts were made to recruit, and where the failures lie??

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #260 on: January 29, 2019, 08:37:32 PM »
If you wish to insult the club (that you purport to support) with inane slurs such as 'insane', carry on. Rather diminishes the thrust of your argument imo.
And, I repeat, just how do you know what efforts were made to recruit, and where the failures lie??

Can we cut the "purport to support" type comments please, similar to those earlier about "true" fans or "happy clapper", "doom monger" etc, this is not the forum for comments such as those, keep them to Facebook and other social media outlets

Wigmore

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #261 on: January 30, 2019, 12:23:55 AM »
Can we cut the "purport to support" type comments please, similar to those earlier about "true" fans or "happy clapper", "doom monger" etc, this is not the forum for comments such as those, keep them to Facebook and other social media outlets
But we can call our club 'insane'??

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #262 on: January 30, 2019, 01:50:05 AM »
in fairness he didn't say the club was insane, he said it was insane to start the season without a RB. which it was.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #263 on: January 30, 2019, 08:35:32 AM »
Overreaction/10.

I see no issue whatsoever in what Liam wrote, it was utterly absurd to let Nyom go and fail to replace him, instead bringing in one of Darren's pals who is clearly no longer up to it.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #264 on: January 30, 2019, 08:49:21 AM »
To be pedantic we did start the season with a recognised RB, Nyom played the first 3 games as a right back in a back 4.
We brought in Mears who is a RB and played him as a RWB  (which he couldn't do). On Saturday Mears played as a RB and looked okay.
Overreaction/10.

I see no issue whatsoever in what Liam wrote, it was utterly absurd to let Nyom go and fail to replace him, instead bringing in one of Darren's pals who is clearly no longer up to it.

that's a contradiction.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #265 on: January 30, 2019, 08:51:51 AM »

As pointed out he didn't call the club insane, he said it was insane, big difference and I also don't see that as abusing or insulting the club.

People are allowed to criticise the club, we pay our money and so are allowed to comment on it both good, bad, positive or negative, that will not change on this forum as long as it is within the forum rules.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #266 on: January 30, 2019, 09:18:42 AM »
To be pedantic we did start the season with a recognised RB, Nyom played the first 3 games as a right back in a back 4.
We brought in Mears who is a RB and played him as a RWB  (which he couldn't do). On Saturday Mears played as a RB and looked okay.
that's a contradiction.

Not really, bringing in someone who is no longer a footballer is hardly a replacement, as bad as Nyom was/is.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #267 on: January 30, 2019, 09:23:51 AM »
Not really, bringing in someone who is no longer a footballer is hardly a replacement, as bad as Nyom was/is.

You stated that we didn't bring in a replacement, then said the person we did bring in as a replacement wasn't very good.

Agree that Mears was poor as a RWB but I think he did okay on Saturday as a RB.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #268 on: January 30, 2019, 09:25:31 AM »
If you wish to insult the club (that you purport to support) with inane slurs such as 'insane', carry on.......

Wow, you must have some serious meltdowns behind that screen of yours regarding a lot of the absolute tripe which passes for opinion on here at times  ;D  ;) ......
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #269 on: January 30, 2019, 09:40:34 AM »
You stated that we didn't bring in a replacement, then said the person we did bring in as a replacement wasn't very good.

Agree that Mears was poor as a RWB but I think he did okay on Saturday as a RB.

Semantics  8)

I said we failed to replace a right back. We brought someone in who we then opted to play in that position...or as a wing back in the nonsensical 5 at the back we persisted with for far too long, but we did not replace Nyom.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #270 on: January 30, 2019, 10:05:50 AM »
Semantics  8)

I said we failed to replace a right back. We brought someone in who we then opted to play in that position...or as a wing back in the nonsensical 5 at the back we persisted with for far too long, but we did not replace Nyom.

We shipped out a RB and brought in a RB....in that sense we replaced Nyom

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #271 on: January 30, 2019, 11:06:51 AM »
Semantics  8)

That's semantics!
We replaced a right back with a right back but didn't replace Alan Nyom (a right back) is essentially what you are saying.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #272 on: January 30, 2019, 11:12:31 AM »
That's semantics!
We replaced a right back with a right back but didn't replace Alan Nyom (a right back) is essentially what you are saying.

We got rid of a semi-functioning footballer and then did some pro bono charity work by electing to pay someone a wage and claim that they were a replacement  ;D

We could be here all day so I shall end it there.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #273 on: January 30, 2019, 11:15:22 AM »
We got rid of a semi-functioning footballer and then did some pro bono charity work by electing to pay someone a wage and claim that they were a replacement  ;D

We could be here all day so I shall end it there.

I was about to post the same thing! What we both can agree on (I think) is that we need a better right back!

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #274 on: January 30, 2019, 11:27:25 AM »
I was about to post the same thing! What we both can agree on (I think) is that we need a better right back!

Come the summer, regardless of what division we are in, most definitely. Would like to dream that we could keep Holgate, but other than a season long loan were we to get promoted I imagine he will be back at Everton next season.