Author Topic: 22 Oct 2019 Albion 2 Barnsley 2  (Read 28876 times)

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #150 on: October 22, 2019, 10:07:33 PM »
Very underwhelming performance.

Ferguson caught out for the first goal, then a free header, then in the near post.

2nd goal you've got to look at the keeper. He keeps getting beaten from 30 yards plus. It's not good enough and has cost us 3 points tonight.

Pereira played very well, goal and an assist.

The space Townsend (great cross for the goal, very poor end product every other time) got showed why Gibbs must return  to the team, and I'd get Hegazi in now for the labouring Kyle Bartley. Kanu and Austin missed good late chances to win it.

Think we need a bit of pace upfront late in games.

Still top so need to put this right on Saturday.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #151 on: October 22, 2019, 10:08:39 PM »
One of those nights.  I think we turned up expecting to win, the subs changed the game (as well as the probable hairdryer treatment)

So according to the Jacko school of managing, he got the lineup wrong as we looked better once we changed it.  Maybe there's more to this managing lark eg?

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #152 on: October 22, 2019, 10:10:58 PM »
First below par performance in weeks if not the season , key to remember it's typical of this league and this is still a very new side gelling . I noted one or two moaners not seen for months appeared Tonight ::) .
Krov again looks neat and tidy but lightweight and not quite doing enough , Townsend added something and H.R.K was H.R.K really .
I think these players are going to have to get used to physical stuff and deep blocks now , nobody is going to just let us play around them . As poor as we defended I have to question Johnstone from distance again.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

baggies_24

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #153 on: October 22, 2019, 10:11:23 PM »
2 poor performances on the bounce now thought they looked abit tired tonight especially in midfield, credit to Barnsley should have really won that game. Slav needs to start changing it up abit to keep players fresh.

I must say I’m extremely disappointed by Austin, he looks slow, unfit and he’s missed some glorious chances that you’d expect a striker to put away. Judging by his performances so far he’s not fit to lace Gayle’s boots.

Adamstv

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #154 on: October 22, 2019, 10:11:41 PM »
Real opportunity lost to get away from the rest after tonight’s results. Poor performance throughout tonight. The subs did have an impact but forward line is a concern for me. Another 2 goals conceded at home - it’s becoming a to common occurrence Blackburn Huddersfield Cardiff and now a team who had only scored 1 goal way all season - that is not good enough .

Will be interesting to hear Slaven comments

By the way 5 minutes stoppage time was a joke - should have been at least 7 .

Frustrated but onto Saturday and Charlton will have 1 less day to recover

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #155 on: October 22, 2019, 10:12:00 PM »
Big performance required on Saturday, there are some very tasty fixtures elsewhere and we need to take advantage
Cardiff v swans
Leeds v Wednesday
QPR v Brentford
Preston v Blackburn from Memory
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 10:15:41 PM by Albionic »
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #156 on: October 22, 2019, 10:12:07 PM »
Got to be pleased with a point. Too many players taking it easy first half. Dianga below par. Shows we need a left footer delivering crosses from left. Townsend was an improvement on Ferguson. Krovinovic helped to create more danger with some probing passes, but he does get knocked off the ball too easily.
Barnsley keeper should have been booked for time wasting in first half, but to give them credit, they were still trying to win it at the death. 
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #157 on: October 22, 2019, 10:16:36 PM »
We could have easily lost tonight and when Barnsley hit the bar at 2-0 we looked hopeless without really making many chances either.

I think it proves we've still got bags of character to come back and draw after playing badly but also that we're not invincible. I'm still not convinced with Austin - I've always preferred Zohore in fairness who doesn't score many either but seems to hold the ball up better.
Thankfully the other results helped us again and we're still 3 points above 3rd.

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #158 on: October 22, 2019, 10:16:43 PM »
I'll take the draw after we pretty much threw the game away in 6 minutes. I think we expected to roll them over and they just came to sh*thouse the whole game.

We're the only team rocking at 2 points per game but we really should be 4 points clear tonight.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #159 on: October 22, 2019, 10:17:31 PM »
Not on it tonight, but there will be games like that. Great that we could get a point back so it’s not the end of the world. If we can get three points Saturday it’s another decent week.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #160 on: October 22, 2019, 10:18:56 PM »
With Swansea losing and Leeds drawing it’s not turned into a bad night at all. Still two points clear of second. Shame Austin is useless. We spent £10m on him and Zohore and what have we got for it? Charlton will be difficult on Saturday, big game now. Hopefully they have a tough match tomorrow. Fair play to Barnsley, both of their goals were very clinical and they definitely raised their game first half.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #161 on: October 22, 2019, 10:19:51 PM »
2 poor performances on the bounce now thought they looked abit tired tonight especially in midfield, credit to Barnsley should have really won that game. Slav needs to start changing it up abit to keep players fresh.

I must say I’m extremely disappointed by Austin, he looks slow, unfit and he’s missed some glorious chances that you’d expect a striker to put away. Judging by his performances so far he’s not fit to lace Gayle’s boots.
agree with you with regards to Austin his first touch is poor, looking so lightweight up top.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #162 on: October 22, 2019, 10:25:19 PM »
Basically...
We survived tonight.
The players didn't work.
The plan didn't work.
Initially it is down to the manager/coach.
The rest is up to the work force he employs.
If they are half hearted, it is down to the manager to kick them up the backside and CHANGE.
No ifs or buts.
No resting on pride or laurals.
International player or not.
Play the man who can actually do the job to which he is employed to do.

richjonawba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #163 on: October 22, 2019, 10:29:32 PM »
Frustrating performance tonight, if we had had a final ball tonight we’d have wiped the floor with them

They scored 2 decent goals to be fair and after that set out to frustrate, reminded me of a Pulis side (ugly) but they also played some football further up the pitch, that Woodrow was a handful.

Good come back though, again subs changed the game, Townsend especially.

Still top, but it’s 2 points dropped really. Could and should have made a big statement today.

Fair  play to Barnsley though, when you are where you are you need to do these things.

I really don't agree, yeah fair play putting men behind the ball and playing on the counter attack which they did very well tonight I thought. However wasting time in the first half is beyond ridiculous and in no way fair play, neither is feigning injury which they did countless times. They must've shaved at least 15 minutes off that game wasting time. I will never condone that, I'd be embarrassed doing that playing for a Sunday league side 1-0 up against Barcelona. It's appalling, it was appalling when we did it under Pulis, and it will never be acceptable for me. I hate that it's just part of the game.

We deserved three points tonight, and I'd wager we would have got them if not for their constant time wasting and the lack of stamping it out from the referee

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #164 on: October 22, 2019, 10:30:02 PM »
I'll add that Cavare for them looked very good as well at Right back. If we lost Ferguson in the summer I'd go in for him, he's only 24 too.

Windmill Baggy

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #165 on: October 22, 2019, 10:31:06 PM »
Disappointing result, but I think some people were fooling themselves if they thought there weren't going to be some downs to go with the ups this season.

With how well Edwards and obviously Ferguson especially have played, it's easy to forget that they are both young players in their first season. It may not be realistic for them to be playing every game and they will need breaks from the XI occasionally to keep them fresh. It's good that we have the squad to be able to do that.

It wouldn't surprise me if some of the players thought it was going to be something of an easy game, but got surprised by Barnsley's endeavour. The 8 bookings they received shows how much they were up for a battle. They also fairly recently sacked their manager and drew with Swansea on the weekend as well. Perhaps their having a bit of a bounce under the caretaker boss.

As to Austin and Kanu, I'm sure Slav feels that the current forwards aren't ideal, hence why we tried to sign Ajeti, but I also expect to see us strengthen up front in January.

We're still top, have only lost once in 13 and are on the 2 points per game sweet spot. The squad can take this match as a bit of a wake up call and learning experience and push on from here.

hunsletbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #166 on: October 22, 2019, 10:33:40 PM »
Think we look a lot better with Phillips in the side Middlesboro and tonight we've been poor but still got 4 points!

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #167 on: October 22, 2019, 10:37:24 PM »
Their second was a very clean strike. Haven't seen the behind the goal angle on this but Johnstone won't have had much chance to adjust his feet and save that.

They made it difficult for us no two ways about it. Pereira usually had someone up his backside as soon as he got the ball. They were tight on Diangana also. Austin looked a bit tired, didn't get any clear cut chances ...but as someone else said a bit more pace up front would be handy.

Krovinovic and Townsend did well. Townsend looks a pretty useful footballer going forward though he is prone to the odd bad moment defensively.

Good comeback against a team with a bit of new/temp manager bounce going on.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #168 on: October 22, 2019, 10:44:34 PM »
I think Billic subs did get the subs right. Krovinovic did give us more control in midfield and behind the strikers with his good accurate passing, and Townsend offered more danger than Ferguson with his crosses. Maybe HRK didn't come off, but it didn't look like it would be Dianga's day. 
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #169 on: October 22, 2019, 10:52:02 PM »
very poor parking for their 1st where any of two unmarked players could've scored. thought we was fortunate to get a point but the team never have up which is encouraging.

chipperclark

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #170 on: October 22, 2019, 10:56:31 PM »
 >:( Ferguson thinking about Spurs? perhaps affected his game tonight??

ttree30

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #171 on: October 22, 2019, 10:57:08 PM »
Disappointing result, but I think some people were fooling themselves if they thought there weren't going to be some downs to go with the ups this season.

With how well Edwards and obviously Ferguson especially have played, it's easy to forget that they are both young players in their first season. It may not be realistic for them to be playing every game and they will need breaks from the XI occasionally to keep them fresh. It's good that we have the squad to be able to do that.

It wouldn't surprise me if some of the players thought it was going to be something of an easy game, but got surprised by Barnsley's endeavour. The 8 bookings they received shows how much they were up for a battle. They also fairly recently sacked their manager and drew with Swansea on the weekend as well. Perhaps their having a bit of a bounce under the caretaker boss.

As to Austin and Kanu, I'm sure Slav feels that the current forwards aren't ideal, hence why we tried to sign Ajeti, but I also expect to see us strengthen up front in January.

We're still top, have only lost once in 13 and are on the 2 points per game sweet spot. The squad can take this match as a bit of a wake up call and learning experience and push on from here.

A very fair summary Windmill. Tonight may have been a reminder that we’re not good enough to take the league by the scruff of the neck. We concede too many goals at the moment for that.

But it’s still an excellent start to the season with lots of very good things happening. And we didn’t lose despite a poor display.

Bilic has said we need to stay humble, and tonight showed why. We have a very good Championship-level team with some talented young players, but as fans we all have a tendency to get carried away. Me included - and after almost 50 years I should know a lot better!

This is a relentless league, with bear traps waiting all over the fixture list. We will lose some games we expect to win. But it won’t mean we’re a weak team, just as winning doesn’t make us world beaters about to win the league by 20 points.

It was a below-par night. But it’s still been a very good opening quarter of the season.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #172 on: October 22, 2019, 11:06:15 PM »
One of those nights.  I think we turned up expecting to win, the subs changed the game (as well as the probable hairdryer treatment)

So according to the Jacko school of managing, he got the lineup wrong as we looked better once we changed it.  Maybe there's more to this managing lark eg?

Not to quibble but had we dropped young Nathan Ferguson as I suggested in response to the news he isn't close to signing a new deal we probably wouldn't have conceded that first goal...  ;)
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

graka

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #173 on: October 22, 2019, 11:21:45 PM »
Fair play to their manager. Stopped our fullbacks getting out and let Bartley constantly be the one with the ball knowing he has an accident in him
Livermore hid for the first 60 minutes offered Sawyers no help at all offensively or defensively
We really need a decent left back who can defend aswel. Townsend and Gibbs ok going forward too weak defensively.
Ferguson as been tremendous but had a mare tonight but he is a right back/ centre half.
Furlong was also quite poor and Bartley looked like a nervous kitten all night and lost Woodrow for the first goal.
Austin was attrocious. Doesn't even get into positions to score.
Lambert MK2.
For me hegazi comes back in for Bartley
Krovonovic for Livermore
Hopefully Phillips is fit for Edwards
And I'd give willock a run up top

CL3MO

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #174 on: October 22, 2019, 11:22:58 PM »
I'll add that Cavare for them looked very good as well at Right back. If we lost Ferguson in the summer I'd go in for him, he's only 24 too.

I thought he was fantastic. Pace, power and he really intimidated Diangana. He was actually scared to take him on!