Author Topic: Dwight Gayle (at Newcastle)  (Read 234976 times)

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

Re: Dwight Gayle (on loan swap from Newcastle)
« Reply #150 on: August 20, 2018, 04:43:15 PM »
Or keep Gayle and Rondon if we get up!

Easier said than done, IF the comments attributed to Rondon when he left and the recently published interview are true he has no intentions of playing for us again.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #151 on: August 20, 2018, 04:47:20 PM »
Unless Newcastle get relegated.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #152 on: August 20, 2018, 04:51:42 PM »
Just seen that bet365 have Gayle at 16/1 to finish as championships highest scorer
Jay R is 6/1

I may have a little dabble on DG at that price

Oh and a certain fat lad at Stoke is 50/1
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #153 on: August 20, 2018, 05:06:29 PM »
Unless Newcastle get relegated.
even if that happened I don't think he'd want to come back. I think he'd prefer to go to an easier league in Europe.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #154 on: August 20, 2018, 05:32:59 PM »
......... I didn't feel the second one was a penalty, as I don't think he could have kept the ball in play, but that isn't his fault at all.

Whether he could keep ball in play or not has nothing to do with it. If you are brought down in the box it's a penalty! Siiiiimples  :D
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 05:38:19 PM by OldburyWBA »

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #155 on: August 20, 2018, 05:42:40 PM »
Just seen that bet365 have Gayle at 16/1 to finish as championships highest scorer
Jay R is 6/1

I may have a little dabble on DG at that price

Oh and a certain fat lad at Stoke is 50/1

Cheers Albionic

Had £10 on it myself. I see that Jay has shorter odds, but we may lose him in January to a struggling Premier club, and Dwight will be with us all season, so it makes sense....
MAGA!

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #156 on: August 21, 2018, 06:52:08 AM »
Looks like he has two cornish pasties on his head.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #157 on: August 21, 2018, 12:03:09 PM »
Looks like he has two cornish pasties on his head.

If he puts the ball in the net he can have a saveloy on his barnet for all I care.
Albion Family !!!

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #158 on: August 21, 2018, 12:22:14 PM »
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #159 on: August 21, 2018, 01:49:16 PM »
Really warmed to Gayle.

Knows where the net is, his workrate is there, seems a nice bloke, have seen numerous posts of him posing for pics with fans etc.

Would love it if we could some how tie him down to a permanent deal but I cant see that happening unless we go up and Newcastle have an amazing season and think they can attract a 'world class' striker.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #160 on: August 21, 2018, 01:52:04 PM »
Really warmed to Gayle.

Knows where the net is, his workrate is there, seems a nice bloke, have seen numerous posts of him posing for pics with fans etc.

Would love it if we could some how tie him down to a permanent deal but I cant see that happening unless we go up and Newcastle have an amazing season and think they can attract a 'world class' striker.

2 things wrong with that
a) the toon fans think they can attract anyone, anytime, as they are a big club whahey man
b) Ashley will not spend big, he has stated they are a selling club.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 11:31:31 PM by OldburyWBA »
Albion Family !!!

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #161 on: August 21, 2018, 01:55:34 PM »
Really warmed to Gayle.

wasn’t part of the loan deal that we will buy Gayle at season’s end no matter what happens? Correct me if I’m wrong.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #162 on: August 21, 2018, 02:02:19 PM »
I really like this chap, wants to play, has a great attitude and is a real menace in the box as QPR found out.

I saw that when Rondon came on in the first game, he missed a clear cut chance from 8 yards........thats the Rondon we know and love!

We have got the better part of this deal by a long way, I only hope that there is no early recall aspect to it......
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 02:18:00 PM by skyclad99 »
MAGA!

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #163 on: August 21, 2018, 02:12:43 PM »
As I've previously stated,stranger things have happened,Newcastle get relegated and we get promoted.
Or Dwight is really happy and appreciated and wants to stay if promoted and hands in a transfer request or he has a buy out clause.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #164 on: August 21, 2018, 02:13:02 PM »
Gayle looks really really good.  He's incredibly quick, works hard, is always making good runs and moving the defence around, that's what has made it easier for the attacking players to find space.  HRK and J-Rod didn't do enough of that.

He should have put away the chance he had for the first goal though, I'd criticise Rondon for missing that so fair's fair.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #165 on: August 21, 2018, 02:44:41 PM »
wasn’t part of the loan deal that we will buy Gayle at season’s end no matter what happens? Correct me if I’m wrong.

I don't believe there is the option to buy him included. Just had a quick look on the official site and nothing mentioned when it was announced we had him on loan.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #166 on: August 21, 2018, 06:46:18 PM »
I don't believe there is the option to buy him included. Just had a quick look on the official site and nothing mentioned when it was announced we had him on loan.

Didn't Wilson tweet when this was all going through the hold up was because both players wanted the options to buy included in terms?
O Albion we love you

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #167 on: September 22, 2018, 06:02:37 PM »
A striker like Dwight is what we’ve been missing the last few seasons. Wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up championship top scorer again. Seems to have a really good attitude as well, always giving 100%

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #168 on: September 22, 2018, 08:31:24 PM »
A striker like Dwight is what we’ve been missing the last few seasons. Wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up championship top scorer again. Seems to have a really good attitude as well, always giving 100%

Agree 100%.
Some strikers anticipate where to be at the right time, and get the timing right. I've always preferred mobile strikers who can turn quickly, such as Kevin Phillips, rather than big physical target men who are less mobile and alot more predictable for defenders.   
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #169 on: September 22, 2018, 09:10:08 PM »
Hope they haven't got a recall clause in loan deal as rumours of Rafa leaving in January if funds aren't made available.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #170 on: September 22, 2018, 09:25:37 PM »
Agree 100%.
Some strikers anticipate where to be at the right time, and get the timing right. I've always preferred mobile strikers who can turn quickly, such as Kevin Phillips, rather than big physical target men who are less mobile and alot more predictable for defenders.
One of each can be good, though

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #171 on: September 22, 2018, 09:38:34 PM »
Disagree with the Super Kev comparisons. Super Kev was a cut above every striker we've had in recent times (including Lukaku) in my opinion. Phillips had so much going for him, was a class act.

What he does have is a great first touch in front of goal and the ability to finish. More Earnshaw-esque in my opinion.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #172 on: September 22, 2018, 11:07:38 PM »
Disagree with the Super Kev comparisons. Super Kev was a cut above every striker we've had in recent times (including Lukaku) in my opinion. Phillips had so much going for him, was a class act.

What he does have is a great first touch in front of goal and the ability to finish. More Earnshaw-esque in my opinion.
Got a little bit of the Ally Brown about him, you don't notice him until he pops up in the right place and scores

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #173 on: September 22, 2018, 11:17:48 PM »
I had my doubts about the signing, not because he couldn't cut it at this level, but because I felt Rondon had a far superior record to Gayle throughout his career so swapping them was a negative move.

In the end though, Moore made the right call. As Rondon struggles to make an impact early on at Newcastle, Gayle is proving unplayable, scoring or setting up goals in every game. A great second tier striker and one who could get us promoted.
Boing Boing

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #174 on: September 23, 2018, 01:39:07 PM »

I agree KP is easily the most effective Albion striker I've seen (and I go back to watching Don Goodman). Super Kev had the lot really, tight ball control, clean strike of the ball, and an instinct to be in the right place at the right time. I'm just saying Gayle's style of play is similar, but clearly he has a long way to go match what KP achieved in his long career.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure