West Brom Dot Com

Author Topic: Assistant Head Coach  (Read 17003 times)

Offline AidantheBaggies

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie
Re: Assistant Head Coach
« Reply #150 on: June 12, 2018, 10:21:37 AM »
The club have always been slow in getting things done, whether its be signing players, appointing an assistant head coach or even having the training ground painted.

Contract negotiations are holding things up.....no doubt Jenkins wants the cheapest possible option.
Lee Probert's Barmy Army!!!

Offline Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #151 on: June 12, 2018, 10:41:29 AM »
So, if we had signed Afobe to replace Kanu, would you think we would win the league?

Stoke were as rubbish as we were last year, don't see how signing a striker who failed in the Prem suddenly makes them world beaters.

There is an awful lot more business to be done before the season even kicks off, no way that signing Benik Afobe will be the Championship's defining moment of this summer!

Whilst I agree with your general sentiment about Stoke, Afobe has a good goal scoring record in the Championship  with 28 goals in 62 games or roughly a goal every 2.2 games. The fact that he failed in the premier league is irrelevant as he'll be in the Championship next season. He's never scored more than 15 in a season though.

The original poster is, IMO, being overly negative and is assuming that we will start the season with HRK, even though we are in talks to sign Bobby Reid from Bristol city and the club have apparently said that we will only sell Rodriguez if we don't sell Rondon (so chances are Rodriguez will be here next season). We are looking at getting in attacking players as evidenced by the recent links.

Getting back to the topic in question as I said in an earlier post we need a coach with experience (of the Championship?) Phillips has this but so do plenty of others. I think going into the new season with an inexperienced head Coach, inexperienced assistant head coach and a new team that they are trying to gel enough to compete for promotion would lead to nothing but disappointment.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 10:53:03 AM by Hull Baggie »
B_H_Baggie : Dexy : Dudleylad : kris_boing : OldburyWBA
Hull Baggie : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : Political Cake : tommcneill : WBArgo

Offline DaveWBA

• WBA Coach
« Reply #152 on: June 12, 2018, 10:52:50 AM »
Whilst I agree with your general sentiment about Stoke, Afobe has a good goal scoring record in the Championship  with 28 goals in 62 games or roughly a goal every 2.2 games. The fact that he failed in the premier league is irrelevant as he'll be in the Championship next season. He's never scored more than 15 in a season though.

Roughly the same record as Bobby Reid then, goal every two and a bit games.

Offline TheJacko2000

• WBA Coach
« Reply #153 on: June 12, 2018, 11:00:00 AM »
Not entirely sure what Stoke's bad transfer business has do do with any prospective Albion Asst. HC?
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Offline SmethDan

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #154 on: June 12, 2018, 02:10:59 PM »
Not entirely sure what Stoke's bad transfer business has do do with any prospective Albion Asst. HC?

Getting back on topic's often over rated and in this instance appears to have been a real thread killer  ;D .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Offline baggie38

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #155 on: June 12, 2018, 02:42:59 PM »
Has it not crossed anyones mind that the person we want as assistant head coach may be under contract elsewhere? It will have no bearing on our transfer business or anything else for that matter. Its mid June people seriously need to relax.

Offline leeiswba

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #156 on: June 12, 2018, 02:55:02 PM »
Has it not crossed anyones mind that the person we want as assistant head coach may be under contract elsewhere? It will have no bearing on our transfer business or anything else for that matter. Its mid June people seriously need to relax.

You know by now mate that there always has to be something for people to panic/moan about.

As long as he is here for the first day of pre season I can't see how it is a problem at all.

Offline SmethDan

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #157 on: June 12, 2018, 03:12:17 PM »
You know by now mate that there always has to be something for people to panic/moan about.

As long as he is here for the first day of pre season I can't see how it is a problem at all.

Fair enough.

They report back for pre season two weeks yesterday.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Offline baggiejohn

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #158 on: June 12, 2018, 03:40:10 PM »

This statement is from the official web site about Darren Moore's appointment & dated 18 May 2018

He will set about assembling his backroom team as a priority before finalising plans for pre-season and working closely with Technical Consultant Giuliano Terraneo over player recruitment.

I'm pretty sure he'll want his "backroom team" to be part of the recruitment process, & they're not in place yet.

As others have said, pre-season starts in about 2 weeks

It's now 12 June, in a very tight close season where WBA is almost uniquely different to any other club, in that we're not only changing our football management team, but also our business management team, think some of us are entitled to hear alarm bells ringing

If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

Offline WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #159 on: June 13, 2018, 01:52:06 PM »
You don't think it would be useful for Darren to have an experienced sounding board at this point in time regarding which players to go after and also the general style of play strategy which will form the basis for who we sign?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 06:00:27 PM by WorcsWBA »

Offline Mr Cynical

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #160 on: June 13, 2018, 02:52:36 PM »
DM appointed 4 weeks ago on Friday.  This assistant manager had better be really special!

Offline VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #161 on: June 13, 2018, 04:31:01 PM »
DM appointed 4 weeks ago on Friday.  This assistant manager had better be really special!

Hopefully not "Special" special.

Offline OllieTheBaggie

• Junior Baggie
« Reply #162 on: June 13, 2018, 05:23:42 PM »
What on earth is going on at this club at the moment, we had about 10 extra weeks to plan for our summer compared to every other team in the championship and we sit here, getting on for a month after our manager is announced, without an assistant manager. As the last comment said, unless this is a pretty special assistant manager, this summer's got off to yet another ridiculously slow start, something that's cost us in the past.

We've had masses of time to prepare for this summer window, the board had accepted our fate before the end of January. So how have we not got any new players in, not got a number 2 and not scratched the surface of the squad overhaul with just two weeks until pre season begins. (And in a summer with an early window closure).

Sorry if this is an overreaction, but these sort of drawn out processes are part of the small time approach thats got us into this mess. For once why haven't we planned well ahead, taken advantage of our situation and hit the ground running. We've got a good chance of being champions next year if we do our business right, why don't we act like it.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 05:25:38 PM by OllieTheBaggie »
"Look at tha' concorde"  "Nan, that's Mick McCarthy's nose..."

Offline Mo

• Junior Baggie
« Reply #163 on: June 13, 2018, 05:30:07 PM »
You don't think it would be useful for Darren to have an experienced sounding board at this point in time regarding which players to go after and also the general style of play strategy which will for the basis for who we sign?

If it were me in DM position I would want my staff in there on the front foot assessing everything .

Offline HampshireBaggie

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #164 on: June 13, 2018, 05:53:06 PM »
I don’t get all the hype and hysteria around the delay in the appointment. It’s a member of the back room staff. There is still Jenkins, Terraneo, Moore and Shan/Cutler around the place to work on whatever is so critical in mid June.

Chill out.

If anything i’d be more concerned about the DoF position. AHC will happen when it happens.

Offline WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #165 on: June 13, 2018, 06:08:15 PM »
I don’t get all the hype and hysteria around the delay in the appointment. It’s a member of the back room staff. There is still Jenkins, Terraneo, Moore and Shan/Cutler around the place to work on whatever is so critical in mid June.
I think the blasé (arrogant?) attitude that you and some others have won't serve us well in the slightest during the coming season if shared at the club. It's the same as the historical "I'm not worried about the transfer window until August 31st" mentality that some have had in the past and how often has that worked out well?

Offline baggiejohn

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #166 on: June 13, 2018, 06:12:39 PM »
Won't be Robbo then. he's just got the job of U23 Development coach at BCFC
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

Offline Hayward1984

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #167 on: June 13, 2018, 06:14:30 PM »
Is it not highly likely that it's all sorted baring some kind of contract expiring and that the person coming in will actually be doing their homework anyway?  It's not like he's missing anything on the training field - I don't suppose the groundsmen are really even up to much right at this very moment.
"Time to show how big our balls are." - Paul Schnarer 14th Janurary.

Offline Mr Cynical

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #168 on: June 13, 2018, 06:45:20 PM »

You mean the team whose only visible impact since the end of the season is to permanently appoint the people that were temporarily in place.  That must have really stretched their dithering capabilities...  Jenkins and Terraneo really scoured world football for the best available.  (Not that DM couldn't possibly be the best man for the job, but if the short list was DM and Smith then what was Teraneo's input?)

Honestly... if you compare our recruitment opportunity to the rest of the championship... 6 weeks have passed since the end of the season and there's 7 to go (with a world cup taking up 4 of those weeks).  However, as Jenkins gave up on PL survival in March we've had a further 4-6 weeks to prepare.  The only players that we've been 'seriously' linked with are obvious, English-based, ones (again, what is Terraneo's input?)  and so far there is no return on that 'interest'.  Even those with the smallest appetite for change must be expecting at least 3 more departures from the first team (meaning we have 5 of the first XI to replace).  Nearly half the time available has gone (or about 70% if you include that time in March and April) and we've made no progress whilst, for (relevant) example Stoke - where Rowett has been in place for less than 3 weeks - have made a couple of signings in the last week.  We are hardly dynamic!

On top of that the scouting department are 2 bodies down and Garlick leaves at the end of the month.  I'm sure they'll have some alternative in place for Garlick (who I don't have a positive perspective on) but his experience - in a very specific role - will be hard to replace and will probably take a few different people bolted together, which won't streamline the process.

Meanwhile us lemmings have spent our money and renewed our tickets.  We can't get enough.  No one knows what it is, but we can't get enough of it...

Offline CL3MO

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #169 on: June 13, 2018, 07:06:22 PM »
I've got a feeling that it's taking a while because it is somebody recently put on gardening leave by a previous club...

Offline leeiswba

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #170 on: June 13, 2018, 07:20:30 PM »
I think the blasé (arrogant?) attitude that you and some others have won't serve us well in the slightest during the coming season if shared at the club. It's the same as the historical "I'm not worried about the transfer window until August 31st" mentality that some have had in the past and how often has that worked out well?

It worked quite well to be honest, 8 years in the premierleague and a few top half finishes. The only time everyone has been happy with transfer dealings on 1st September and bringing people in early was last year and look what happened then!

Not saying it’s the best thing to do is hang about but by what I’ve seen last 10 years I don’t think it makes a difference when our dealings are done.

Offline Sted1990

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie
« Reply #171 on: June 13, 2018, 07:28:59 PM »
Ive never known fans to care so much about an assistant manager  8)

Offline beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #172 on: June 13, 2018, 07:40:48 PM »
Maybe big Dave has decoded he doesn't want an assistant now
Maybe the assistant has a contract until July 1st and we're being cheap
Maybe the assistant is involved with one of the World Cup teams.
Maybe the assistant will be a player assistant ala McAuley for example.

I am more worried that we haven't brought any bodies in. We know Rondon chadli are going. Evans the pole and strurridge have gone. It's very likely Barry yacob McAuley Morrison myhill (some if not all could be released) so that's potentially 10 players we need to find and that's not including Dawson and Rodriquez interest. What happens if hegazi has a good World Cup?

As a poster before said only been linked with uk players so our temporary dof hasn't brought much to the table. Or is this a requisite of the new manager he might only want British players?
O Albion we love you

Offline HampshireBaggie

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #173 on: June 13, 2018, 08:09:44 PM »
Ive never known fans to care so much about an assistant manager  8)

This is my point. It’s the ‘assistant’ head coach. Mostly does work on the training ground. I think people are over reacting personally. And I don’t think that is an arrogant comment to make.

Offline Mister AT

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #174 on: June 13, 2018, 08:49:48 PM »
Not too sure what the assistant head coach would have done by now if he had been appointed weeks ago?

Big Dave is in charge of the team, he has Shan and cutler here for advice, he will have his targets in mind already.