Author Topic: Boxing Thread  (Read 267204 times)

wbako

• Senior Baggie

Re: Boxing Thread
« Reply #725 on: September 16, 2018, 02:38:42 PM »
Did anyone see the GGG V Canelo fight?. Sounds like the judging was as controversial as the first one. Have not seen the fight myself.

It was a hard fight to score. I had GGG winning but only by a round or two. I had him a clear winner in the first fight. 
All time favourite player: Jan Kozak

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #726 on: September 16, 2018, 11:14:31 PM »
Triple G won it for me.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #727 on: September 17, 2018, 08:18:23 AM »
Enjoyed it , great fight .
Thought it was a draw though !
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #728 on: September 17, 2018, 09:42:45 AM »
Personally I think GGG has won both the fights.

Saturdays fight was a lot closer, Canelo landed the 'bigger' punches overall, but GGG landed far more shots and did enough to win that fight by 1/2 rounds.

Would like to see a 3rd fight, but I would like to see it in a venue like Wembley for example, somewhere more 'neutral'.

Black Country Pride

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #729 on: September 22, 2018, 10:18:49 PM »
Come on AJ!

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #730 on: September 22, 2018, 10:53:54 PM »
Great finish as usual - didn't let him off the hook at all.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #731 on: September 22, 2018, 11:16:35 PM »
Great finish as usual - didn't let him off the hook at all.

The slomo of the first knockdown was superb. The left didn't hurt Povetkin, but it stunned him enough so he didn't get the gloves back up, the follow up right was absolutely brutal and debateable the fight should have continued after a 9 count.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #732 on: September 23, 2018, 10:14:23 PM »

The slomo of the first knockdown was superb. The left didn't hurt Povetkin, but it stunned him enough so he didn't get the gloves back up, the follow up right was absolutely brutal and debateable the fight should have continued after a 9 count.

Definitely should have been called off. When he nearly went through the ropes the ref should've waved it.

When Joshua lets his hands go, he is simply frightening. Against Klitschko he had too do it, did it and made it look easy and did it yesterday against Povetkin. However his weaknesses have certainly been shown up in both fights and against leggy opponents too. But you simply can't defend against him when he comes forward with the precision and power he has displayed.

On a side note... Lawrence Okolie... Joke of a fight last night and my word does he have some redemption to find!

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #733 on: September 24, 2018, 12:37:45 AM »
I'll be perfectly honest here, I've only seen highlights and they were from a Russian source online. But from those I have to say that superb finish aside Joshua was wide open and looked very awkward at times. While I realise he's not the finished article (and has never claimed to be) he really needs to pick his game up and quick. When looking through some of his previous fights some time ago, I was quite impressed with his shot variety. Comparing those highlights to the ones I saw last night left me feeling he's actually gone backwards slightly, if so then I just hope it's temporary.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

barnestormer

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #734 on: September 24, 2018, 09:09:19 AM »
Fury if up for it will tie Joshua up in knots and box his ears off,same goes for his fight with Wilder,all wilder has for me is the punchers chance.will he be able to walk Tyson down enough to land his big windmill right hand?

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #735 on: September 24, 2018, 11:10:51 AM »
Fury if up for it will tie Joshua up in knots and box his ears off,same goes for his fight with Wilder,all wilder has for me is the punchers chance.will he be able to walk Tyson down enough to land his big windmill right hand?

Three years is a long time out the game. The Fury of 2015 was the best heavyweight, I worry that the Wilder fight is too soon. If he loses he's even further away from a fight with Joshua. Can't see Matchroom going for Wilder either, fully expect Joshua v Whyte II in April.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #736 on: September 24, 2018, 11:24:41 AM »
Tyson Fury at peak beats Joshua and Wilder. The trouble is we don't know how close to his best Fury is and we won't really know until he is in the ring with one of them.

Inactivity can be a killer especially in Fury's case as he bungs on weight, doesn't train, doesn't look after himself etc. 

kie the baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #737 on: September 24, 2018, 01:23:07 PM »
On Joshua's early round performance wilder will knock him out with ease

silver surfer

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #738 on: September 24, 2018, 05:06:46 PM »
On a side note... Lawrence Okolie... Joke of a fight last night and my word does he have some redemption to find!
Should have been disqualified and absolute garbage to watch.

silver surfer

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #739 on: September 24, 2018, 05:16:10 PM »
On Joshua's early round performance wilder will knock him out with ease
Being honest, I'm not particularly a Joshua fan, but I thought he did well against what was probably his most aggressive opponent so far.
Joshua V Wilder if it ever happens will be a spectacle, and I hope it will be a 2 fight deal.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #740 on: September 24, 2018, 10:18:05 PM »
Joshua's camp will modify the tactics for Wilder as they did for this one. Wilder is dangerous with his very fast right hand but he will also struggle to handle any decent attack from Joshua. Despite being younger, Joshua has more experience against top 10 fighters than Wilder.

barnestormer

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #741 on: September 28, 2018, 10:48:12 PM »
That was some finish by callum smith over groves after a quiet start,got very quick hands and is relentless once he nails his opponent. Wanna see him fight jnr next

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #742 on: September 29, 2018, 02:56:50 AM »
The punch that did it Groves knew straight away

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #743 on: September 29, 2018, 06:31:28 PM »
Glad Smith has finally got there. I remember years ago when he was on the cusp of being the next big thing in British boxing, 1 fight away from a world title fight and then he just seemed to disappear from the spotlight. He has had far too many prep fights to get to where he is today but i’m excited to see him in some big fights from this point forward.
Boing Boing

Black Country Pride

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #744 on: November 11, 2018, 12:10:46 AM »
Bridge too far for Bellew.

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #745 on: November 11, 2018, 08:34:01 PM »
Didn't understand his tactics last night. Baffling. He invited the pressure from the get go and let Usyk dictate. Mystifying in my opinion. That in spite of him being up on two cards I think the Ukranian sat off the opening rounds and then when he realised he could take the power took control.

Bellew always irked me. His interviews were very big headed in my opinion. Thought he was made light work of in the end. One hell of a gulf in class.

silver surfer

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #746 on: November 11, 2018, 09:59:45 PM »
I don't think Bellew really believed he could win this and would have been happy to have gone the distance with one of the current pound for pound best.
Bellew always knew how to sell a fight and to be fair he can fight.
It will interesting to see if Usyk can compete with the best heavies if he decides to move up.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #747 on: November 11, 2018, 10:49:33 PM »
Bellew's a character and deserves what he's got out of the game. Let's face it not everyone can be polite and modest all the time in the boxing world.

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #748 on: November 12, 2018, 09:18:30 AM »
Bellew's a character and deserves what he's got out of the game. Let's face it not everyone can be polite and modest all the time in the boxing world.

They don't have to literally be me, me, me either which is what he tends to turn every interview into.

Loved watching him, hated listening to him. Takes the edge off.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #749 on: November 12, 2018, 09:50:13 AM »
I think deep down he knew he wasn't going to beat Usyk.

Nevertheless he's earned another nice little pay packet and can retire.

Be interested to see if Usyk moves up a level now he has been opened up to the british public.