Poll

Where do you think we'll end up in the table in 2013-14?

1st
11 (3.8%)
2nd
2 (0.7%)
3rd
1 (0.3%)
4th
1 (0.3%)
5th
5 (1.7%)
6th
6 (2.1%)
7th
17 (5.9%)
8th
18 (6.3%)
9th
24 (8.4%)
10th
34 (11.9%)
11th
18 (6.3%)
12th
37 (12.9%)
13th
23 (8%)
14th
32 (11.2%)
15th
29 (10.1%)
16th
9 (3.1%)
17th
8 (2.8%)
18th
6 (2.1%)
19th
4 (1.4%)
20th
1 (0.3%)

Total Members Voted: 316

Author Topic: How Will WBA Fare In 2013-14?  (Read 14418 times)

gablythe

• WBA Newbie

Re: How Will WBA Fare In 2013-14?
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2013, 12:51:09 AM »
Are you the world's most miserable rainbow or what? :o

wdbroun

« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2013, 05:38:51 AM »
This is a bit of a stupid question to ask at this moment in time ...
If one can't ask stupid questions on online football forums, all hope in this universe is lost, I'm afraid.  ;)

Londonbaggymike

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2013, 08:22:36 AM »
It is a bit early but it's something we all think about. Let's face it we are all wondering about what will happen with Lukaku at the end of the season, so in a way we are already thinking about next season.

This might be a funny topic during the summer as rumours of bids for all of our best players come in and people start to go balistic.

For the record I voted 4th just for the hell of it.

rubyruby

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2013, 10:49:07 PM »
This is a bit of a stupid question to ask at this moment in time but if we do actually replace Lukaku and
Odemwingie with decent quality then I dont see why we cant finish in the top half again although I honestly
think we`ll blow it by not replacing like for like and end up 18th and relegated.

Well last few seasons we have always replaced with better quality and moved forward so why not again? So i would agree with the first part of your post. But nothing is guaranteed in football is it.

Ross

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2013, 11:54:00 PM »
I voted 16th.

Why is everyone so sure Olsson will stay? Ater his spat with the fans, i can see him leaving to go abroad.

Odemwingie and Lukaku gone will lose us nearly half our goals this season, plus teams around us will be spending bucketloads, and we will gamble on not spending - there is a chance our bargain basement signings will flop - so 16th seems realistic
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 11:55:43 PM by Ross »

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2013, 02:32:25 AM »
I voted 16th.

Why is everyone so sure Olsson will stay? Ater his spat with the fans, i can see him leaving to go abroad.

Odemwingie and Lukaku gone will lose us nearly half our goals this season, plus teams around us will be spending bucketloads, and we will gamble on not spending - there is a chance our bargain basement signings will flop - so 16th seems realistic
Olsson:- because in order to get him, the recipient team has to jump through a fair few hoops. He's got the release at 3 million that only 6 clubs can use, seeing that 5 million in the Jan window wasn't enough and he's now on 4 years rather than a few months then a higher fee would be needed. After Pete's fiasco it's unlikely he'll be pulled from beneath us either. There are cheaper and easier to reach players in the world than Olsson right now.

Lukaku+Pete:- Lukaku is a hard one to replace but how do we go about doing it? get a young striker with potential and doing well in their league (eg Vaclav Kadlec, Facundo Ferreyra) or a striker whose proven but will cost much more while also reducing the field of players to pick from. Personally I'd prefer a younger player as no matter who you get there is always the chance they wont work in our system.

Pete is easy, get a right midfielder who can shoot from distance but also cross and take a free kick with a few skills , a tricky right sided Brunt if you will. I vote for Borek Dockal (it's coincidence that two of the players listed are Czech)

Oppostition:- Just because you spend bucket loads doesn't guarantee a good team. Go ask QPR, Sunderland and Stoke about the matter.

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2013, 04:36:00 PM »
Add Liverpool and Villa to the list too. Two reasons why spending big money isn't the answer is that a lot of big money spendings don't deliver and we have a very good habit of picking up hidden gems from all over the world and those players surpass expectations
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

mrvulgarity

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2013, 12:14:56 PM »
Are you guys forgetting something here?

We have Dawson, Thorne (When back from injury), Berahino (if given bench starts) to come in to the first team mix, thats 3 'signings'

IMO we just need a striker that can score 15+

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2013, 07:56:48 PM »
Are you guys forgetting something here?

We have Dawson, Thorne (When back from injury), Berahino (if given bench starts) to come in to the first team mix, thats 3 'signings'

IMO we just need a striker that can score 15+

All unproven, and we've got a striker who can score 15+ and then played him on the wing for the last two seasons.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Londonbaggymike

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #59 on: March 26, 2013, 11:10:02 PM »
All unproven, and we've got a striker who can score 15+ and then played him on the wing for the last two seasons.

You've finally convinced me. Let's build a team around this player. He can be the first name on the team sheet and and choose who he plays with. Let him decide on the tactics as well. This guy is our future and will long live the hearts and minds of all west Brom fans.

Give it a rest. He is finished. Gone. Kaput.

Let it go and get back to moaning about Dorrans who at least stands a chance of being a west Brom player next season.

crazedwbafan18

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2013, 12:43:14 AM »
im so glad we are so level headed as a club, as i am sure many other clubs fans would be looking upwards towards the future given our position. However, we are absolutely doing the right thing, given the uncertainty towards Olsson, Lukaku and Gmac(PO is a certainty to leave but lets be honest we aren't comfortable watching him in our colours). I think what is crucial is that we invest wisely, scout the european leagues especially and take a few more gambles. I feel fairly confident in our midfield, and hope mozza can find his form back. What i see next season is perhaps a little less comfortable, perhaps a 12th-13th placed finish, but i also feel we have a cup run in us.

the rainbow turn east

« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2013, 11:44:36 AM »
What chance of we got next season when we`re still fannying around with new contracts for a couple of
squad players like Tamas and Thomas ?
Cant believe we`re dragging our feet after we`ve known for months we`ll be safe for another season.
Stop messing about and get the likes of Tamas, McAuley, Popov, Fortune, Thomas, and Long on new
deals then move on to more important issues like trying to replace Lukaku and Odemwingie.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 11:52:18 AM by the rainbow turn east »

rubyruby

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #62 on: March 31, 2013, 10:26:53 AM »
What chance of we got next season when we`re still fannying around with new contracts for a couple of
squad players like Tamas and Thomas ?
Cant believe we`re dragging our feet after we`ve known for months we`ll be safe for another season.
Stop messing about and get the likes of Tamas, McAuley, Popov, Fortune, Thomas, and Long on new
deals then move on to more important issues like trying to replace Lukaku and Odemwingie.

Missing the point a bit arnt we rainbow? Contracts are two way things. The player also has to agree before he signs on the dotted line.................its called negotiation just in case..... ::)

the rainbow turn east

« Reply #63 on: April 06, 2013, 11:51:01 AM »
I`d of thought this Richard Garlick bloke would be busting a gut to show us Albion fans that he
means buisness, what has he achieved so far ? No players brought in January and not one single
new contract to anyone. Getting a lawyer to be our new cheif scout is a recipe for disaster.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #64 on: April 06, 2013, 11:53:44 AM »
So you missed the fact that we are in talks with Mulumbu, McAuley (you know the bloke you said will be in League 1 with Walsall) and another player who I can't remember ?

Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #65 on: April 06, 2013, 12:05:48 PM »
Shane Long is the other player we are trying to tie down to a new deal.

Makes me laugh to see Garlick described as our new chief scout, if that is what people think Ashworth was then they are very much mistaken. Ashworth did go and watch players himself but he was a very small cog in the scouting machine, his influence over transfers was so much more than going to watch the odd player after having our actual scouting system recommend them to him in the first place.

It could be a big summer for us but so have the last few, we have managed alright each time so far. Garlick may be new to the job but he worked closely alongside all of the departments he will need to so I'm hopeful that he will continue the good work that Ashworth was doing.

johnthebaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #66 on: April 07, 2013, 09:56:16 AM »
I`d of thought this Richard Garlick bloke would be busting a gut to show us Albion fans that he
means buisness, what has he achieved so far ? No players brought in January and not one single
new contract to anyone. Getting a lawyer to be our new cheif scout is a recipe for disaster.
To be fair to Richard, he will have the same limitations as Dan had regarding money to spend etc, so the fact nothing has happened yet isn't all down to him, give him a chance. We are notoriouly useless in January so see what the summer brings.

lordbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #67 on: April 09, 2013, 12:24:57 AM »
To be fair to Richard, he will have the same limitations as Dan had regarding money to spend etc, so the fact nothing has happened yet isn't all down to him, give him a chance. We are notoriouly useless in January so see what the summer brings.

The word is prudent

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #68 on: April 09, 2013, 09:43:43 AM »
I don't see Richard having extra money to spend in January so hopefully he can make some assured signings in the summer.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

pattayabaggie

« Reply #69 on: April 09, 2013, 11:47:47 AM »
I think we'll struggle next season i really do we need to spend a few quid and sign a number of players of decent quality but i just don't see us doing it, i personally think we will struggle to stay up unless peace gets his cheque book out and i'm not just been a doom and gloom merchant either the stats back up my fears we've only got 18 points out the last 16 matches and that's with Lukaku scoring goals as well without him it could of been a lot worse  :(

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #70 on: April 09, 2013, 11:57:17 AM »
I think we'll struggle next season i really do we need to spend a few quid and sign a number of players of decent quality but i just don't see us doing it, i personally think we will struggle to stay up unless peace gets his cheque book out and i'm not just been a doom and gloom merchant either the stats back up my fears we've only got 18 points out the last 16 matches and that's with Lukaku scoring goals as well without him it could of been a lot worse  :(

I dont think this Garlic is a replacement for Dan.I agrre with you. we will do well not to go down
WOOF WOOF  I always come I always care but sometimes bite

rubyruby

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #71 on: April 09, 2013, 04:22:26 PM »

I dont think this Garlic is a replacement for Dan.I agrre with you. we will do well not to go down

Why not? He has an in depth knowledge of how we work. We ALWAYS do well not to go down. Thats a reflection of our size and financial muscle in a division where money really does talk! Thats the reality.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #72 on: April 09, 2013, 07:57:29 PM »
The notion that Dan was a super scout and without him the whole recruitment process falls over is more than a little flawed. Aside from the man at the top nothing has changed within the recruitment department and what is more given that we operate to a long term plan most of this summer's potential targets would have been identified when Dan was still here.

As Ruby pointed out relegation is always a possibility for pretty much any club in the mid-table mix. Just because a club have had a few seasons sitting comfortably in mid-table does not take that possibility away (e.g. Stoke City).  Given that the top 5 or 6 places are virtually a closed shop there is more scope for Albion to fall than rise from this season regardless of who we sign over the summer.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

the rainbow turn east

« Reply #73 on: April 27, 2013, 09:22:06 AM »
Well last few seasons we have always replaced with better quality and moved forward so why not again? So i would agree with the first part of your post. But nothing is guaranteed in football is it.

Because we havnt got Dan Ashworth anymore and this Richard Garlick bloke doesnt exactly fill me
with confidence when he cant even sort new contracts out for average players like McAuley and Long.
The bloke has been in the job for a few months now so can someone tell me what he`s acheived
so far ? apart from keeping season ticket prices the same season after season like some amateur
football club.

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #74 on: April 27, 2013, 09:26:43 AM »
A summer of transitition methinks.There will be a lot of comings and goings.It will be interesting to see Clarke stamp his own personality on the team next season with HIS players,and it will also be interesting to see how far Jeremy backs him with his ambitition for us.

Clarke has said that we need to spend to push on,that we can't keep relying on bargains.

The last albion manager who said that was Megson.  :-X