Author Topic: Saido Berahino  (Read 2535194 times)

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

Re: Saido Berahino
« Reply #975 on: October 21, 2014, 01:05:07 PM »
Anybody remember the days when we worried about how we would find a striker to replace the lost goals of Odemwingie or Lukaku?  A 15 goal a season Premiership striker.   

And this one cost us NOTHING!!!

I'm sure all the time and effort the academy have devoted into improving him as a player would love to hear their work described as nothing.

The cost still isn't massive, but it's not as though hes cost us absolutely nothing.

baggie53

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #976 on: October 21, 2014, 01:12:06 PM »
Lots of strikers are anonymous for large parts of the game - but when he was put through for our second goal there was no doubt in my mind that he would put it away.
Vorwärts die Breiten Hosen !

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #977 on: October 21, 2014, 01:21:12 PM »
30 million being touted by sports chat shows, i hope we can hang on to him in Jan
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

cornishbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #978 on: October 21, 2014, 01:38:21 PM »
Berahino is the real deal.  :o

I'd expect to get £25-30m for him. Next Season.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #979 on: October 21, 2014, 01:48:06 PM »
I thought he was excellent last night.

I do agree though with some of the other posters that he held the ball up well but then tried to do too much when a simpler lay off would have been better.

However he is young and is learning the game and this will come with games and experience.

A top top finisher this lad is and I think he will get 15 league goals min this season
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

dont ask me to choose luv

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #980 on: October 21, 2014, 02:20:10 PM »
I completely disagree. I think his anonymity for a big chunk of the game was our inability to get the ball forward via the midfield. Berahino is a striker that will thrive on service, not an Anichebe that will fight for aerial balls then hold the ball up. I don't think it is fair to criticize  SB at all as when provided with the service he needs he finished in world class style. The only criticism I would level at him would have been that he should have went to ground after being blatantly fouled in their area. We would have had a penalty if he hadn't have stayed on his feet, but that is inexperience. All in all, last night would have added value and interest rather than detract from it.

Strangely enough I completely agree with a lot of what you've said, although, I believe nobody is above 'constructive criticism', which is what I've tried to show in my post having watched the game in the flesh last night & again the recording this morning, I've not suggested that Saido becomes an Anichebe, as sadly big Vic doesn't score enough goals, however he needs to add a much higher work ethic to his game & a better awareness of the players around him if he wants to get to the top.

Of course I was delighted with the team performance last night but just like when we win I don't think every player was brilliant & when we lose I don't become manic depressive & exclaim that all the players need to go, problem with many fans is the final result tends to sway their judgement on how the team & individuals have played, as I said, just my opinion.   
Life is about using the whole box of crayons!

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #981 on: October 21, 2014, 03:40:26 PM »
30 million being touted by sports chat shows, i hope we can hang on to him in Jan

Surviving the season is worth more to us. If he doesn't sign a new contract, then he'll only have 2 years to run by that point and maybe he'll be worth selling then (having scored 18+ goals and being in the England team).

It would take a gigantic offer for us to sell in Jan as it would risk our season.
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

heycreative

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #982 on: October 21, 2014, 04:11:24 PM »
I'm expecting Liverpool will be in for him in January. They are struggle up front and he's exactly the type of player Rodgers likes. They've over spent on a lot of players in the summer, imagine they'll do the same for saido.
If not, a swap deal for ballotelli anyone? ;)

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #983 on: October 21, 2014, 04:19:58 PM »
I'm expecting Liverpool will be in for him in January. They are struggle up front and he's exactly the type of player Rodgers likes. They've over spent on a lot of players in the summer, imagine they'll do the same for saido.
If not, a swap deal for ballotelli anyone? ;)

I'd rather have a Telly Tubby.
Born Baggie. Die disheartened.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #984 on: October 21, 2014, 11:08:38 PM »
He seems to strike the ball so cleanly with either foot. He can work the channels for a goal like last night. He can poach goals AND although he hasn't produced one this season yet, he can ping it with either foot from the edge of the box.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #985 on: October 21, 2014, 11:43:37 PM »
I think he's getting physically stronger too and maturing at a rapid rate. We've got a seriously good player here lads. Keeping out our record signing too!

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #986 on: October 22, 2014, 10:19:25 AM »
I completely disagree. I think his anonymity for a big chunk of the game was our inability to get the ball forward via the midfield. Berahino is a striker that will thrive on service, not an Anichebe that will fight for aerial balls then hold the ball up. I don't think it is fair to criticize  SB at all as when provided with the service he needs he finished in world class style. The only criticism I would level at him would have been that he should have went to ground after being blatantly fouled in their area. We would have had a penalty if he hadn't have stayed on his feet, but that is inexperience. All in all, last night would have added value and interest rather than detract from it.
Strange as it may seem, I'm proud that one of our players actually attempted to stay on his feet, when the easier option would've been to cheat.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #987 on: October 22, 2014, 11:04:15 AM »
Strange as it may seem, I'm proud that one of our players actually attempted to stay on his feet, when the easier option would've been to cheat.

Exactly what my son said to me at the time. After years of watching Shane Long collapse when a defender looked at him it was quite refreshing to see Saido stand his ground and try to gain a fair advantage.

And two minutes later he got his reward with the goal.

Silver Thostle

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #988 on: October 22, 2014, 01:18:21 PM »
Good player, good attitude, will be become a massive fans favourite if he keeps this up.

Fell of the rails a little bit last season, but got his act back together, and is showing what he is capable of.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #989 on: October 22, 2014, 01:20:58 PM »
well done Odemwonga for motivating him. By far our biggest name player
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #990 on: October 24, 2014, 07:27:26 PM »
Idiotic comment on the Birmingham mail page. I've left a comment. I get so angry at stupid short term thinking.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/west-bromwich-albion-baggies-need-7993383?
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #991 on: October 24, 2014, 08:27:35 PM »
who the bloody hell is Bill Howell ???
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Downunder Stripes

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #992 on: October 24, 2014, 08:59:50 PM »
who the bloody hell is Bill Howell ???
He is the Dingles correspondent for the mail !!!

Aixelsyd

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #993 on: October 24, 2014, 09:38:19 PM »
Idiotic comment on the Birmingham mail page. I've left a comment. I get so angry at stupid short term thinking.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/west-bromwich-albion-baggies-need-7993383?

then they won.... it is a troll piece just to get responses.
On a roundel paly of thirteen argent and azure a missel thrush perched on a hawthorn branch leaved and fructed proper.

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #994 on: October 24, 2014, 09:41:51 PM »
then they won.... it is a troll piece just to get responses.

You would expect better from a professional newspaper wouldn't you? Just a let down.

Mat15(MH)

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #995 on: October 24, 2014, 10:01:21 PM »
Bit of a strange piece for someone who is actually an Albion fan. I can, kind of, see what he means but he's not really put it the best way.

Floydy

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #996 on: October 25, 2014, 06:42:21 AM »
Alan Irvine is considering asking Ian Wright to give Saido Berahino one-on-one coaching to ensure his finishing gets even better.
The West Bromwich Albion head coach played alongside Wright at Crystal Palace in the late 80s and can see similarities in Berahino.
Wright went on to score nine times in 33 England games and for a period was Arsenal’s recorded scorer with 185 goals.

Berahino, 21, is now tipped to win his first England cap soon after having taken his Premier League tally this season to six with a fine goal against Manchester United last Monday.
Irvine said: ‘I played with Ian at Crystal Palace and Wrighty had that energy and enthusiasm and wanted to run in behind people. Saido needs to keep on doing that.
‘Ian became better as he went on, he was one who stayed behind at the end of training and practised.

‘I have spoken to Saido and said that Ian and I have chatted about him. If I feel Saido could do with a little bit of extra help, I might well (ask Wright to help out). I would be frightened what he might do with him!
'Saido has got great potential and at 21 Ian was raw. But he had real potential, what he did was kept on working at his game.
‘That’s where Saido could be, a top striker. But he needs to maintain this approach he has got at this moment.
‘The big danger would be if he gets distracted by anything else that goes on, or if he just loses that little bit of focus.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2807173/Saido-Berahino-benefit-coached-Ian-Wright-says-Alan-Irvine.html#ixzz3H8GQJas3
Twitter: @floydy1983

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #997 on: October 25, 2014, 07:45:23 AM »
Wright wasn't bad was he? If Saido gets to be as good a finisher he'll be quite a player.

Good to see him making progress this season, last year I did wonder if he had what it takes, but it is looking very much like he does.

Just hope we can hang into him for a couple of seasons.

Floydy

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #998 on: October 25, 2014, 08:25:34 AM »

What a prat.

What is the point of this non-story? Its not even if its from the ususal Albion journalist. Its purely been designed to stir up emotion.

This is the type of rubbish you would expect from the Daily Star, but given its a local paper it is a terribly bad piece of "journalism".
Twitter: @floydy1983

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #999 on: October 25, 2014, 08:51:50 AM »
Wright wasn't bad was he? If Saido gets to be as good a finisher he'll be quite a player.

Good to see him making progress this season, last year I did wonder if he had what it takes, but it is looking very much like he does.

Just hope we can hang into him for a couple of seasons.

I've never wondered if he had what it takes ability wise, the kid is a born goalscorer, however, after the Morrison incident and various rumours about his attitude I did doubt whether he would ever be what his talent dictates he should be. Thankfully (it looks as though the kid is taking on board what he has obviously had drummed into him, Irvine has even been making positive noises about his attitude.

Berahino has that knack that you can't be taught, he gets in the right places by instinct, he was born to score goals.

I don't think he's ready to be leading England in a World Cup finals or a European Championship finals yet but England have about the easiest present qualifying group they'll ever get. Maybe now is the time to introduce the kid to international football. He's a far better centre forward than Welbeck will ever be and I doubt we'll keep him for long as long as he keeps his feet on the ground and keeps doing the right things. It'd be great to see an Albion outfield player playing for England again, the last one was Steve Hunt back in 1984. If this happens maybe I'll even start dreaming that maybe we might have a 30,000 plus home gate again and who knows maybe, just maybe pick up a cup again. Hmmm, perhaps I'm being silly now?  ;) ;)