Author Topic: Mikey Johnston joins on loan (Official!)  (Read 27198 times)

Standaman

• WBA Coach

Re: Mikey Johnston joins on loan (Official!)
« Reply #150 on: March 15, 2024, 04:26:42 PM »
Interesting quote from the player

"It just feels like I needed a run of games to play in my position and have some trust from my team mates and the manager. I've had that while I've been here and that's what has helped me kick on"

That sounds like a player that is done with Celtic and I think if we could put something together we might have a shot of signing him. Although I suspect there will be wealthier clubs interested in him and I know Fulham have scouted him while he has been here.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #151 on: March 15, 2024, 09:37:35 PM »
Interesting quote from the player

"It just feels like I needed a run of games to play in my position and have some trust from my team mates and the manager. I've had that while I've been here and that's what has helped me kick on"

That sounds like a player that is done with Celtic and I think if we could put something together we might have a shot of signing him. Although I suspect there will be wealthier clubs interested in him and I know Fulham have scouted him while he has been here.

If you read the Celtic forums then you will see that he is 100% done there. Even though he's doing great here, the vast majority still want him gone. It's one of those times in football where the relationship is over, regardless of what happens. The next question is where he ends up and for how much.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #152 on: March 15, 2024, 11:24:03 PM »
I am well aware of the fans opinion of the player. However even at this stage the player could still be trying to get back into the Celtic fold but Johnston isn't even pretending that's a possibility bridges have been burnt here.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #153 on: March 16, 2024, 10:15:34 AM »
The Celtic fan I spoke to about MJ (legendary initials and shirt number) was actually very vicious with his hatred towards him.

I couldn't believe it.

It was nearly akin to my dislike of Reach.

I don't know how vicious they are on the Celtic forums about him, but that shocked me.

He went onto imply he was only doing well because of the level we play at, and I didn't want to remind him about the level they play at, as him and mate were bigger than me.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #154 on: March 16, 2024, 10:21:45 AM »
It does seem quite personal to a fair few of them from their forums from day 1, baffling.

I also think Reach is a terrible signing but do i dislike him in a personal manner? Absolutely not.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #155 on: March 16, 2024, 10:53:51 AM »
The Celtic fan I spoke to about MJ (legendary initials and shirt number) was actually very vicious with his hatred towards him.

I couldn't believe it.

I don't know how vicious they are on the Celtic forums about him, but that shocked me.

He went onto imply he was only doing well because of the level we play at, and I didn't want to remind him about the level they play at, as him and mate were bigger than me.

I would also add that their man Brendan isn't all that he is cracked up to be and that he is at Celtic to rebuild his reputation having crashed and burned twice in England.

Although like you said discretion might have been the better part of valour in this particular instance.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #156 on: March 16, 2024, 11:06:22 AM »
I would also add that their man Brendan isn't all that he is cracked up to be and that he is at Celtic to rebuild his reputation having crashed and burned twice in England.

Although like you said discretion might have been the better part of valour in this particular instance.

No we actually agreed on BR, as I said I couldn't believe how they took him back after he did the dirty on them and went to the foxes and how he messing up this season and he said he didn't want him.

robnewbold

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #157 on: March 16, 2024, 07:15:46 PM »
Rodgers is a fraudster, in the realms of Rooney and Lampard.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2024, 07:47:17 PM by OldburyWBA »

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #158 on: March 16, 2024, 07:59:03 PM »
Rodgers is a fraudster, in the realms of Rooney and Lampard.

Off topic but I really agree. He wasn't a top player and had to build his way up. He won Leicester their first ever FA cup and was generally good there, however they didn't reinvest last season and struggled because of it (a bit like Palace this season but worse off). I would say that he has a tendency to bottle things such as the league with Liverpool and the Champions League with Leicester. Nonetheless, he is clearly capable and has mostly had a good managerial career.

Jeremy Roland Peace

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #159 on: March 18, 2024, 01:01:13 PM »
Off topic but I really agree. He wasn't a top player and had to build his way up. He won Leicester their first ever FA cup and was generally good there, however they didn't reinvest last season and struggled because of it (a bit like Palace this season but worse off). I would say that he has a tendency to bottle things such as the league with Liverpool and the Champions League with Leicester. Nonetheless, he is clearly capable and has mostly had a good managerial career.

the possible points deduction hanging over them is why they couldn't invest. they run the risk of a points deduction now dropping them into playoffs and possibly not gaining promotion or starting next season in the prem on negative points

BaggieBoy04

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #160 on: March 18, 2024, 04:54:41 PM »
It does seem quite personal to a fair few of them from their forums from day 1, baffling.

I also think Reach is a terrible signing but do i dislike him in a personal manner? Absolutely not.
I Don't dislike Reach personally either do I think there are better footballers out there yes I do. But if I was to bump into Adam Reach on the street I would say hello to him and ask him what playing for the Albion is like and I'm sure he would have time to speak to me as a fan.

In Scotland they seem to be a bit more brutal if they don't want a manager they hound them out, if a player is doing poorly he is hated almost to the point you think if they saw MJ in the streets of Glasgow for example they would give him abuse. Hopefully he likes it here as opposed to going to a PL Side and can kick on
Albion Pride Of The Black Country

graka

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #161 on: March 18, 2024, 05:03:32 PM »
After his first couple of appearances I thought he was a bit of a show pony with no end product
It just goes to show with a good coach and structure and some confidence it can transform a player to show his true potential
He now glides his way around the pitch going past players with ease
Whilst money talks I hope we could put something together to at least have a chance of signing him if he looks at his footballing future in terms of being happy and playing every week we might have a chance

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #162 on: March 18, 2024, 11:27:15 PM »
We should be looking to loan again with a fixed price option to buy but no obligation. He's been on fire since arrival. But would like to see him over a long period we cannot afford another expensive grant style transfer on the books hampering recruitment.
O Albion we love you

DevonInStripes

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #163 on: March 18, 2024, 11:37:07 PM »
Any comparison with Karlan Grant is comparing chalk and cheese 🧀 . I hope we never have to see KG in an Albion shirt again .

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #164 on: March 19, 2024, 07:56:41 AM »
I like how quick he can change direction off the mark and leave defenders guessing. I'm hoping he remains injury free for the rest of the season. What's that coming over the hill is it a monster? No. It's an international break with Ireland. Here's to him having better luck than O'Shea and Molumby did with those before him.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #165 on: March 19, 2024, 08:03:13 AM »
Any comparison with Karlan Grant is comparing chalk and cheese 🧀 . I hope we never have to see KG in an Albion shirt again .

It's not when you are comparing buying players that have shown ability over a short period of time before we buy them for inflated fees..and then realise they are actually not as good as thought.
Which was definitely the case with Grant and could be the case with Johnston. The idea of a longer loan with a fixed price but no obligation is a good idea.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #166 on: March 19, 2024, 08:47:22 AM »
+1 for exercising caution in terms of a permanent transfer here.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #167 on: March 19, 2024, 01:05:07 PM »
"The shirt is of a different weight", eh Brendan?  Yes, we are a a founder member of the top league in the world and you are one cheek of a second rate a*** that sits on top of a mickey mouse pyramid of part timers.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #168 on: March 19, 2024, 01:41:06 PM »
"The shirt is of a different weight", eh Brendan?  Yes, we are a a founder member of the top league in the world and you are one cheek of a second rate a*** that sits on top of a mickey mouse pyramid of part timers.

Can we play them in a 'friendly'?
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #169 on: March 19, 2024, 03:24:47 PM »

I couldn't believe it.

Might this not be an effort of disinformation?  They are trying to deter anyone from making an offer for him?  Or maybe he's from the wrong side of town up there.
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #170 on: March 19, 2024, 03:54:54 PM »
Might this not be an effort of disinformation?  They are trying to deter anyone from making an offer for him?  Or maybe he's from the wrong side of town up there.
He plays for the Republic of Ireland, so I don't think it can be that

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #171 on: March 19, 2024, 06:42:49 PM »
Harsh !! I'm assuming he's talking about the weight of expectation which I can understand tbh. I don't think he was comparing the status of the 2 clubs, but even if he was, it's undeniable that Celtic are a much bigger club than we are. And yes, there are a lot of part time clubs in the lower leagues, but I'm pretty sure all the clubs in the SPL are full time.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #172 on: March 19, 2024, 11:13:07 PM »

I couldn't believe it.

I think it's more a case of him never making a solid claim for a first team place at Celtic due to injuries and subsequent inconsistency allied to a deep held and uncomfortable suspicion from some of them that he may not be as pap as some had written him off to be. Never mind. I really couldn't give a monkey's so long as he performs for us. COYB  8) .

the other AJ

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #173 on: March 20, 2024, 06:20:36 AM »

How good would that be?
MJ bangs in the winner.
Celtic arrogance about us and our league get shoved back down their throats ( with some pork scratchings , you can do one with your haggis)
Can but dream..
Baggie Down Under 🙃

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #174 on: March 20, 2024, 12:02:15 PM »

No thank you.