Author Topic: Away Following  (Read 21640 times)

Yam Yam Baggie

Re: Away Following
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2011, 12:10:49 PM »
You make a good point Yam Yam Baggie.
There are several reasons why we don't have as many away fans; chief amongst these is cost ::)
All of a sudden fans have been faced with a price hike (West Ham £42.00)?
Without wanting to be patronising in any way at all not all of us are 19...sadly those that haven't had their wings clipped by mortgages, children and nagging wives have other equally demanding responsibilties :(

Yes mate i totally agree. When i am as old as you lot i understand there are other financial commitments. I understand this but only two seasons ago when we were last in the premierleague our away support was better both in numbers and volume.

But like a few people have commented its not just Away games. Home games our average gate is less but i do understand that people wont and cant afford £40 for a game and i do not blame them. But my point is for home games the actual fans that pay the money to get in the ground. If you want to eat sandwiches and bring your packed lunch and watch the game then that is fine by me... but dont sit in the Smethwick end then ! There are several fans that sit in there that dont want to sing and stand up which baffles me. If you want to just watch the game etc then sit in the Halfords Lane or East Stand.

Bu anyway, my point was i understand people dont wish to pay that much for away games and cant afford it but i want to know what has happened to our away support since last time we were in the premier league. The prices havent changed that much. I know our support away is still good but i just dont think its as good as it has been in previous years and just wanted to know why !

Thanks for your replies !

dangerman

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2011, 12:21:03 PM »
Bu anyway, my point was i understand people dont wish to pay that much for away games and cant afford it but i want to know what has happened to our away support since last time we were in the premier league. The prices havent changed that much. I know our support away is still good but i just dont think its as good as it has been in previous years and just wanted to know why !

Prices for tickets may not of changed 'that much' but neither have peoples wages. People are now trying to survive on the same wage as 2/3 years ago while food, and utlities are going up.

That disposible income that used to be used for the Albion is now being used to pay the gas bill that 'used to be' £50 and is now £100 for example.

BaggieboiBear

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2011, 12:21:35 PM »
How many HOME games have sold out then ?

As for the flasks, blankets, packed lunches !!

Yet to see any of that this season away from home so if people do take those (as they are entitled to do regardless of what other think) then it will be the odd one or two.

Monday at Stoke, I'm not surprised there wasn't many of us, Monday night, a ground where we never usually do we,, Premier league prices and on TV, not to mention the fact we have Blues tomorrow and the tickets went on sale around the same time.

As said people have responsibilities away from football and money is an issue for many with families these days, its not the same as years ago when everyone has money to waste.

mate, its beyond a joke how many people fit into the category of a flask or blanket.

another thing i find as well with our support is the fact there is only very small pockets of people scattered all over the place who want to have any fun at all.

Its so sad to see how our away support has gone, used to be the best now i would say one of the worst.

wbadazza

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2011, 12:24:24 PM »
Prices for tickets may not of changed 'that much' but neither have peoples wages. People are now trying to survive on the same wage as 2/3 years ago while food, and utlities are going up.

That disposible income that used to be used for the Albion is now being used to pay the gas bill that 'used to be' £50 and is now £100 for example.

Spot on my friend!!!!

Inflation rises, wages don't!!

I'm know married with a bigger house etc, simply can't justify the amount of money that is being asked. It guts me but it's a fact!!
cut me in half you'll find blue and white stripes

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2011, 12:24:29 PM »
mate, its beyond a joke how many people fit into the category of a flask or blanket.

another thing i find as well with our support is the fact there is only very small pockets of people scattered all over the place who want to have any fun at all.

Its so sad to see how our away support has gone, used to be the best now i would say one of the worst.

So its not people 'with' a flask or blanket ? its just older people you have a problem with ?

What is 'the category of a flask or blanket.'

Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

BaggieboiBear

« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2011, 12:29:30 PM »
So its not people 'with' a flask or blanket ? its just older people you have a problem with ?

I do have a problem with people no matter what age who go and simply just sit there.

I no its there right to do as they please, but surely as an Albion fan going away from home you would want to get behind the team, try your best to inspire the boys to a win.

Your opinion is obviously different to mine which your entitled to, but i find it frustrating as hell to see.

Yam Yam Baggie

« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2011, 12:31:20 PM »

True, good point.

But we have had clubs of a smilar size to albion come down the hawthorns this season and have sold out or near enough.

We played Blues at home charging them £40 a ticket yet they sold out but they charge us £24 and we cant sell out. Bolton brought a good following. Stoke sold out ( I understand we played them on a monday night but i still dont think we would of sold out at their place on asaturday 3pmKO.)

I understand the financial side. But the atmosphere at home games the past 12 months has had the odd game where it actually has been loud and lively.

Yam Yam Baggie

« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2011, 12:38:37 PM »

Baggie boi bear. I agree with you in a way. I dont think its the "Older" generation of fans that sit there with the flask and blanket. The ages vary !! Some of the fans that i see going mad and having the fun the most are between the ages of 30-45 of my experiences !!! haha. I just think for home games if you want to sit there with a flask and blanket then sit in the Halfords lane. But these people pay their money and are entitled to do what they want !

BaggieboiBear

« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2011, 12:44:46 PM »

Baggie boi bear. I agree with you in a way. I dint think its the "Older" generation of fans that sit there with the flask and blanket. The ages vary !! Some of the fans that i see going mad and having the fun the most are between the ages of 30-45 of my experiences !!! ha ha. I just think for home games if you want to sit there with a flask and blanket then sit in the Halfords lane. But these people pay their money and are entitled to do what they want !

this is another can of worms now because another thing i find the most annoying thing when i go away..

Is that you get little children with parents and older people who get tickets right at the back, then have a heart attack when they cant see if you stand.

IF YOU SIT AT THE BACK OF THE STAND SURELY EXPECT PEOPLE TO STAND??

and I'm talking about the last 3 rows.

When my daughter is old enough i will have the brain power to think she will want to sit right at the front like i used to when i was a kid.

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2011, 12:52:15 PM »
With the standing issue it doesn't really matter where you are in the stand if someone wants to sit down, you are always going to be in the wrong if you stand up and they complain. The rules/laws are there for all to see that at all seater stadiums you are supposed to sit down so those that complain about people standing are in the right whether any of us like it or not.

Of course they can ask to be put at the front but then again why should they get a rubbish view at the front just so some can stand up? They are after all paying for a seat that they want to see the game from. It is an issue that simply wont be sorted as legally you literally don't have a leg to stand on so there isn't much point complaining about it too much as there is nothing you can do to be fair as the rules wont be changed any time soon if at all.

TaffieBaggie

« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2011, 12:54:05 PM »
Every game for is an Away Game for me, except when we play Cardiff.  ;D

I was not surprised our support at Stoke was low. I know of many fans who would normally go away have given up on Stoke matches due to our poor showing against them in the past.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 12:55:53 PM by TaffieBaggie »

RowleyBaggie2

• WBA Manager

« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2011, 12:57:08 PM »
What is it with certain young fans and the misguided belief that they invented supporting a football team?

The disrespect shown on here is a disgrace.
I only go for the beer.

baggieboyjop

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2011, 01:20:02 PM »
I dont know whether its just me but i think the atmosphere at away games is generally picking up again, last year there was only a few games where i could honestly say the atmosphere was quality but this year i have throughly enjoyed most away days. I still believe that many of our fans underestimate our support as it is genuinely one of the best in the country home and away. I have a mate who's a forest fan, he's come to the odd game when i've had no-one else to go with and he absolutely loves it, he prefers it to their games anyway.

So lets continue to improve and show how we are the loudest and proudest the country has to offer ;D
I hate stoke, i hate newcastle more than i hate stoke, i hate andy carrol more than i hate newcastle, i hate v*lla more than i hate andy carrol but i hate the dingles most of all. Albion till i die

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2011, 01:27:36 PM »
What is it with certain young fans and the misguided belief that they invented supporting a football team?The disrespect shown on here is a disgrace.

Did you know they also invented sex.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

BaggieboiBear

« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2011, 01:29:30 PM »
What is it with certain young fans and the misguided belief that they invented supporting a football team?

The disrespect shown on here is a disgrace.

LETS ALL SIT DOWN ON OUR HANDS FOR 90 MINUTES THEN... and sit in silence.

RowleyBaggie2

• WBA Manager

« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2011, 01:30:44 PM »
LETS ALL SIT DOWN ON OUR HANDS FOR 90 MINUTES THEN... and sit in silence.

Or grow up and realise people have differing opinions, views and ways of supporting their team. I know it's a novel idea but some actually want to concentrate on the match thats going on.

Stop making yourself look silly.
I only go for the beer.

BaggieboiBear

« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2011, 01:33:22 PM »
Or grow up and realise people have differing opinions, views and ways of supporting their team. I know it's a novel idea but some actually want to concentrate on the match thats going on.

Stop making yourself look silly.

what a total an utter joke.. i suggest trying to create a louder atmosphere and im deemed " making myself look stupid "

what a club we are now a days.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2011, 01:45:43 PM »
what a total an utter joke.. i suggest trying to create a louder atmosphere and im deemed " making myself look stupid "what a club we are now a days.

No.
Just the way your going about it
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2011, 01:53:04 PM »
what a total an utter joke.. i suggest trying to create a louder atmosphere and im deemed " making myself look stupid "

Its the way your going about doing it mate, I'm with you I'd love the whole section to be rocking but the way your disrepecting people who have probably spent more money on following Albion than you have ever earnt in your life is making you look silly and disrespectful

dangerman

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2011, 01:55:28 PM »
To be honest I only blame one person.

And that's Scott Carson  :D

There are ways and means of getting points across without being disrespectful.

Anyway, who said people with flasks and blankets can't have fun?  :o

RowleyBaggie2

• WBA Manager

« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2011, 02:02:19 PM »

I think your the joke my friend, there is a way to get people on your side - it seems it is alien to you.

People pay the same price so are entitled to watch the game how they please and within the rules of the stadium, if everyones happy to stand, i stand - if someone behind me wants to sit, i'll sit.

How old are you by the way?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 02:04:37 PM by RowleyBaggie2 »
I only go for the beer.

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2011, 02:10:48 PM »
if everyones happy to stand, i stand - if someone behind me wants to sit, i'll sit.

Exactly the way I see it. People can make a positive atmosphere without the issue of standing coming into it, I make enough noise if I'm sat down so I don't see why some seem to have to stand to do the same. If I had the choice then like many others I would stand but the choice isn't there legally so there is nothing that can be done unless everyone is happy to stand, I would rather sit down than make people who have supported this football club for a hell of a lot longer than I have that can't stand for long periods feel as though they aren't welcome to go and follow the team because some younger people want to stand up.

The only issue I have with people that want to sit down behind me is their attitude, if they grab me by the shirt and try to pull me down or be disrespectful to me in the way they ask me to sit down when there is a group standing in front of me impeding my view if I sit then I will be disrespectful back. It is all about showing respect for me and it works both ways.

garry

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2011, 02:31:40 PM »
Football supporting isn't ageist they have much right to sit and watch the game, if that's what they want to do, as the the dipsticks who want to throw beer in the concourse.
They're probably the same people that have been handing money over for years through the Gould, Buckley, and Little years, so what gives you the right to tell them how they should support the Baggies?
I'm writing as an old fart who went to his first Baggies game in the early 60's with my grandad.
I think it's just about ok to sit and watch quietly at HOME games if that's what you want to do (I don't).
But at AWAY games it's your DUTY to sing, shout, cheer, scream etc (but never boo).  Supporters who go to away are generally very passionate and fanatical. We must make as much noise as possible at away games to show how fanatical we are; to say 'WE ARE ALBION', supporters 'til we die.

BaggieboiBear

« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2011, 02:41:58 PM »
I think your the joke my friend, there is a way to get people on your side - it seems it is alien to you.

People pay the same price so are entitled to watch the game how they please and within the rules of the stadium, if everyones happy to stand, i stand - if someone behind me wants to sit, i'll sit.

How old are you by the way?

BaggieboiBear

« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2011, 02:43:57 PM »
how have i been disrespectful? i haven't called people names or swore.. I'm just being honest.

I didn't expect the abuse iv received back.

least i know not to post an opinion again huh.