Author Topic: Dwight Gayle (at Newcastle)  (Read 236778 times)

alex1

• WBA Coach

Re: Dwight Gayle (on loan swap from Newcastle)
« Reply #750 on: May 31, 2019, 02:29:33 PM »
A striker who can anticipate and convert goal chances is worth vastly more than a target man, however hard he might work his socks off. Instinctive goalscorers are like gold dust, physical target men are ten a pennny. 
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #751 on: May 31, 2019, 02:43:13 PM »
I'd have more sympathy with the view if Rondon had comprehensively outscored his season in the Prem when we were relegated this year, but he got, what, two goals more?  Despite playing consistantly, in a team that is way more attack minded than the one under Pulis.  Rondon is guilty of missing absolute gilt edged chances and that's not what you need in a striker. 

Let's not also forget that Gayle's run in the Prem was broken up and more a bit part than Rondon's.

This chance here was typical of the type he was missing for us.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laSEB5rrUv4
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 02:45:50 PM by boinging_along »

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #752 on: May 31, 2019, 03:12:20 PM »

I'd be very cautious about using stats as any sort of barometer. Rondon, for example, spent a number of those games playing for us isolated and having the ball banged at him from sixty yards.

I was using the stats as a way of proving that Gayle has cut it in the Prem despite a lot of people saying that he hasn't. A goal every 2.5 games is very good. Rondon is seen by many as a proven Premiership striker but has an inferior goalscoring record. I agree playing under Pulis was difficult but he still missed a lot of chances here.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #753 on: May 31, 2019, 03:47:19 PM »
I was using the stats as a way of proving that Gayle has cut it in the Prem despite a lot of people saying that he hasn't. A goal every 2.5 games is very good. Rondon is seen by many as a proven Premiership striker but has an inferior goalscoring record. I agree playing under Pulis was difficult but he still missed a lot of chances here.

I wouldn’t even bother. Tried saying the same thing when he was with us in the prem.

Apparently we can’t compare players because they’re different, or use stats, or look at how many goals strikers scored. Seemed to do well for us bringing in other players or whatever else he apparently did as we got relegated though, before jumping ship as soon as he could afterwards  :-\

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #754 on: May 31, 2019, 03:49:06 PM »
I wouldn’t even bother. Tried saying the same thing when he was with us in the prem.

Apparently we can’t compare players because they’re different, or use stats, or look at how many goals strikers scored. Seemed to do well for us bringing in other players or whatever else he apparently did as we got relegated though, before jumping ship as soon as he could afterwards  :-\

Apparently he didn't have a relegation clause in his contract so club wanted him out just as much. Foster was the one who bailed as quick as his backside could get out of here.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

TiptonThrostle

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #755 on: May 31, 2019, 03:54:55 PM »
This talk of rondon was isolated at WBA and had balls banged up to him from 50 yards is nonsense.

he had service and used to miss chances on a regular basis.

and in my opinion, that was proved when so many people said in the summer last year he will score way more in a newcastle team that play more attacking and open and he will have more support.

he scored 2 more last season than he did with us in his best season in the prem for us scoring 9. £16.5m for a player who has scored double figures once in 4 prem seasons and whos best attribute is working hard. his first touch is average, for a big lad is average in the air too.

Gayle all day IMO.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #756 on: May 31, 2019, 05:38:37 PM »
I thought I'd look up some PL stats in the Rondon v Gayle debate.

Rondon

10845 mins - 35 goals
309 mins / goal

Gayle

4704 mins - 21 goals
224 mins / goal

Gayle has only started 50 PL games whereas Rondon has started 124.

I've never rated Rondon and would still take Gayle ahead of him.

I'd take Gayle from corrie over ronfon.

Terrible player joining a list of bad strikers from rosenberg to Brown to him.

But, you will always get people defending them. That you don't do this for them nor that and therefore don't play to their strengths.

When in all honesty there strength should be be banging them in.

Good strikers bang em in others have excuses made up for them.

I never trust a striker not chomping at the bit to take a pen. The fact he is so bad at them shows his laziness to improve.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #757 on: June 02, 2019, 04:35:16 PM »
I'd take Rondon over Gayle. He is able to contribute more that just goals, whereas Gayle is a poacher who looks fantastic in the Championship, but we can't afford to carry in the Prem.

I'd take a partnership of the two of them over any involving Rodridguez though.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #758 on: June 02, 2019, 05:35:03 PM »
I'd take Rondon over Gayle. He is able to contribute more that just goals, whereas Gayle is a poacher who looks fantastic in the Championship, but we can't afford to carry in the Prem.

I'd take a partnership of the two of them over any involving Rodridguez though.
Gayle & Rondon will both be retired by the time we appear in the Premier League again.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #759 on: June 02, 2019, 06:01:03 PM »
Gayle & Rondon will both be retired by the time we appear in the Premier League again.

And Sam Field.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #760 on: June 02, 2019, 06:09:43 PM »
And Sam Field.
And Dwight Rondon, the son, of the son and daughter, of Gayle and Rondon.
Chris Brunt, will still, however, be in centre midfield, with his wand of a zimmer frame.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #761 on: June 02, 2019, 06:14:45 PM »
Chris Brunt, will still, however, be in centre midfield, with his wand of a zimmer frame.
It's a good job we can see the funny side ain't it . Mind you most of the time, I'm not laughing.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #762 on: June 02, 2019, 06:30:16 PM »

Brilliant. And sadly on target.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

Pie

• Youth Baggie

baggiemart

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #764 on: June 16, 2019, 12:08:09 PM »

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #765 on: June 16, 2019, 12:10:01 PM »
Could the Gayle / Rondon deal still be on the table  !!!

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/dwight-gayle-wba-newcastle-united-16436628

I think it would be a real signal of intent but also could be one that plays out through the window but it would lift the place.

I can still see it being loan with view to permanent with a price knocked down for Rondon.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #766 on: June 16, 2019, 12:13:55 PM »
We’ve been here before with Lukaku

I’m not getting my hopes up in the slightest

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #767 on: June 16, 2019, 12:15:23 PM »
Controversial opinion but I don't want us to sign Gayle. Turns 30 this year, and I'm not entirely sure he's a pure poacher who can carry on well into his thirties like Kevin Phillips could.

As Standaman said in another thread, he doesn't fit the role that Bilic is likely to want to play.

Thanks for a good season Dwight, but let's look elsewhere.

He/him

baggiemart

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #768 on: June 16, 2019, 12:15:36 PM »
Without Gayle we need 2 strikers. If we get Gayle back we only need another back up striker.

baggiemart

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #769 on: June 16, 2019, 12:18:10 PM »
Controversial opinion but I don't want us to sign Gayle. Turns 30 this year, and I'm not entirely sure he's a pure poacher who can carry on well into his thirties like Kevin Phillips could.

As Standaman said in another thread, he doesn't fit the role that Bilic is likely to want to play.

Thanks for a good season Dwight, but let's look elsewhere.

He would still deliver 20+ goals next season. Where we going to find those goals from ?

Without him last season we would never have made the play offs !!!

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #770 on: June 16, 2019, 12:20:31 PM »
He would still deliver 20+ goals next season. Where we going to find those goals from ?

Without him last season we would never have made the play offs !!!

I'm not just thinking about next season. It's that kind of short term planning that got us into this mess.

People are suggesting 3 year contracts, so we're going to have a 32 year old striker with no real resale value on probably the largest wages at the club.

If we don't get promoted then he will be a major burden on this club.

Fans won't like it but if I were Dowling I wouldn't sanction a permanent move for him. A loan would be acceptable so long as there's no guarantee we have to sign him

He/him

baggiemart

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #771 on: June 16, 2019, 12:29:06 PM »
I'm not just thinking about next season. It's that kind of short term planning that got us into this mess.

People are suggesting 3 year contracts, so we're going to have a 32 year old striker with no real resale value on probably the largest wages at the club.

Fans won't like it but if I were Dowling I wouldn't sanction a permanent move for him. A loan would be acceptable so long as there's no guarantee we have to sign him

If we get promoted next season , his wages will be a pittance compared to the revenue we would generate in the premier league.

To get promoted we still need to score the same level of goals we scored last season.

The last thing we want is to see him go to Leeds or Middlesbrough and for him to score a hat trick against us.  I'm sure Dowling would be more wary of that happening.

He is guaranteed 20+ goals in this league , without him we are 20+ goals short next season.  That could mean no promotion.   Is it worth taking that risk !!!!

We need to start thinking about next season not 3 years away.  3 years away Bilic might not be with us !!!

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #772 on: June 16, 2019, 12:43:06 PM »

Think of all those lovely goals he would score in 3 years though...

Windmill Baggy

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #773 on: June 16, 2019, 01:02:47 PM »

I'm with you on this. Signing Gayle permanently would be a mistake considering his age, wages and the need to get promoted for it to not be a financial burden on the club.

However I think a second loan next season would be a good move. Rondon to Newcastle for £14.5m + Gayle on loan for the year would be an acceptable deal.

Windmill Baggy

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #774 on: June 16, 2019, 01:10:00 PM »
If we get promoted next season , his wages will be a pittance compared to the revenue we would generate in the premier league.

To get promoted we still need to score the same level of goals we scored last season.

The last thing we want is to see him go to Leeds or Middlesbrough and for him to score a hat trick against us.  I'm sure Dowling would be more wary of that happening.

He is guaranteed 20+ goals in this league , without him we are 20+ goals short next season.  That could mean no promotion.   Is it worth taking that risk !!!!

We need to start thinking about next season not 3 years away.  3 years away Bilic might not be with us !!!

It doesn't work that way. Without him we will only be short on goals by as much as any replacement fails to match his goal rate. If we (purely hypothetically) signed nobody and just played Rogers up front all next season and he got 10-12 goals then you could argue we were 'technically' 8-10 goals short.