Author Topic: Anything Birmingham City  (Read 226834 times)

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

Re: Anything Birmingham City
« Reply #575 on: September 25, 2012, 02:12:52 PM »
Yeah on a one month deal
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 02:31:58 PM by B_H_Baggie »
O Albion we love you

Handsworth Wood Villa

« Reply #576 on: September 25, 2012, 03:38:37 PM »
Only 13,893 at St Andrew's on Saturday.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #577 on: September 25, 2012, 03:41:07 PM »
Noticed the badge kisser has gone grey
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #578 on: December 30, 2012, 01:46:42 PM »
Not looking very good for them:

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/peter-pannu-interview-part-one-389303

Peter Pannu has opened up about the extent of Birmingham City’s financial woes.

And he admitted for the first time that he was prepared to sell Jack Butland and possibly other stars in the January transfer window to stop Blues from going under.

Debts racked up by parent company Birmingham International Holdings Limited (BIHL), loss of revenue due to relegation and Carson Yeung’s assets freeze have contributed to Blues monetary mess.

Despite the sale of some £35 million worth of talent since Blues lost Premier League status in 2011 three months after winning the Carling Cup and swingeing reductions in costs and salaries, the club are in a dire state.

In a frank and forthright interview with the Birmingham Mail, Pannu warned: “If I allow this club to go into administration, I think I will never [be able to] step foot in Birmingham city. Never.

“And I am not going to allow that to happen.

“If I do annoy the fans and I do dispose of players, it will be to keep the club afloat.

“I will be abrogating my responsibility to the club, to the fans if I allow that [administration].

“And that’s not an excuse for me to dispose of players, I just need to do what I have to do.”

England cap Butland is Blues most saleable asset. And Pannu admitted he could go, and the drain of Nikola Zigic’s £50,000-a-week plus wages was too much.

“I can’t say that we are in a very wonderful situation, I would be lying if I said that.

“This is a very tricky question [player sales].

“What I can say is that - and I might be blasted for this by the fans - but no one is for sale and everyone is available. As in any club.

“Give me a £15 million offer for Jack Butland, can I say no?

“I have rejected £6 million from Southampton [in the summer] but I rejected it when our finances were OK.

“As the time is ticking, I might not be able to reject it if I get something similar.”

“I do have a responsibility to keep the club running,” continued Pannu.

“Many eminent managers, players have said it umpteen times, that no one is bigger than the club.

“My top priority now - and if I do offend anyone, I care not - is to make sure this clubs stays afloat.

“I will do what I have to do and buy some time to ensure that I can hand this club over to good people who can take us to the next level.

“Ziggy obviously is earning a lot of money here. He’s a very good guy, a gentleman, a gentle giant and I have got lots of time for him.

“But I can’t shy away from the fact that we are paying a lot of money which I’m sure we can’t [afford to]. He realises that.

“We might have to consider his position in January.

“There are other players who are earning a lot of money, at least four, five players I’d hope weren’t earning that much.

“It might be the case that if opportunities arise I will have to look at that.”

“The principle is to keep the club going.

“I can’t let this club run to the ground. I need some time to ensure I can pass it on to good people who can take us to the next level,” Pannu added.

Pannu, chief of parent company BIHL, who own 96 per cent of Blues, said Lee Clark would not be able to make any cash signings in January, but if finances could be juggled sufficiently - dependent on what offers they received - incoming loans were feasible.

Liverpool, Everton, Spurs and West Ham United have all been eyeing Butland.

Pannu pointed out that a player's head was often also easily turned - citing the raft of knocking on his door that took place after relegation.

“Let’s use Butland as an example," said Pannu.

"I understand there are talks with Liverpool, I understand that Everton might be interested, Southampton gave me an offer in the past, I know not whether they want him.

“His is a phenomenal player and let’s move this from another angle.

“For example, if Liverpool come in for Butland, do you not think Butland wouldn’t want to go there?

“Even if Liverpool came to me with £4 million, I’m sure if his agent is doing a proper job he will blow my door down and say he wants the Liverpool opportunity.

“Remember when we were relegated, I had 50 doors changed.

“We have to look at things from various angles, not just purely the financial side of things.

“We have got players who are human and humans have needs, then we have got their agents on top who want to do the best for their players."

“Now it might not be good for us, but it might not necessarily be bad," Pannu added.

“So using Butland again, if I can translate that into £6 million coming up in front, then the only priority I would have to off-load people would perhaps be Zigic.

“Zigic needs to go out and showcase himself. And if a new club likes him, there might be a chance that they will be permanent transfer.

“And under these circumstances, I might not need to off-load anyone else and then I might have some funds to bring in on-loan strikers for us."
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

BrummieBaggie68

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #579 on: December 30, 2012, 02:24:11 PM »
Bad times. Sad really. There but for the grace...

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #580 on: December 30, 2012, 02:59:52 PM »
Problem they have with Zigic is that yes he is on good money but is the fee they are asking unreasonable ?

They need to decide whats more important, holding out for a big fee which the longer they do that they run the risk of him going for nothing or accept a nominal fee, possibly even nothing just to get him of the wage bill and let him and his new club sort a deal out for him to receive that he's owed on his current contract by Blues.

crazedwbafan18

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #581 on: December 30, 2012, 04:39:28 PM »
think they are destined for league one now. i really do, what is happening with midlands football. we can laugh but really its so mediocre these days, the northwest and london rule supreme.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #582 on: December 30, 2012, 05:18:55 PM »
think they are destined for league one now. i really do, what is happening with midlands football. we can laugh but really its so mediocre these days, the northwest and london rule supreme.

Its not just football where that's true.

London is the Nations capitol, while Manchester is seen as the capitol of the North. No investment has come into the Midlands for years, we don't have the infrastructure of other places, and now we are reaping what has been sown by years of poor management by councils et al. Manchester will soon overtake Birmingham as the UK's second city, while there are others which have stood up to the recession better. We all know what West Brom's like, while Merry Hill has killed Dudley and is having the same effect on Wolverhampton. And Walsall's getting worse.

Sad to hear about Blues, but these things happen, especially when clubs spend stupid money, put players on wages they can't afford, and end up is a worse position than when they started (see also: Portsmouth, Sheffield Wednesday, QPR).

Quakes Fan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #583 on: December 30, 2012, 07:55:00 PM »
It's not sad, it's necessary. In times of economic contraction, oversupply is liquidated and those who managed growth properly acquire the assets (i.e. fans) of those who did not. Otherwise the Matt Millens of the world would be in charge of everything.

It's time for everyone in the WM who loathes the Vile to get behind the Albion.

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #584 on: December 31, 2012, 09:35:34 AM »
Any bones we can pick from?
WOOF WOOF  I always come I always care but sometimes bite

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #585 on: December 31, 2012, 10:57:27 AM »
Any bones we can pick from?

Only youth players I would imagine.
Baggie in Southampton

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #586 on: January 21, 2013, 10:25:09 PM »
Whole squad up for sale, Curtis Davies may be on his way to Reading, anyone we would fancy from their squad?
Baggie in Southampton

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #587 on: January 21, 2013, 10:29:28 PM »
Davies is the one I would take to be honest. Butland is overrated but still very young with massive potential so would be a good addition for us but he is their prized asset so he would still cost a fair bit.

RowleyBaggie2

• WBA Manager

« Reply #588 on: January 21, 2013, 10:31:16 PM »
I'd take Redmond - would be a good option.
I only go for the beer.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #589 on: January 21, 2013, 10:36:23 PM »
Not for me, I don't see anything in that squad which would improve us if I'm honest. The only player I admired was Chris Burke but I do wonder if we could do better. I remember him tearing Marek Cech a new backside when we lost to Cardiff 2-0 in the championship season under RDM. It is worrying signs for Blues, especially if these better players aren't going to be replaced. Five points clear of the relegation zone, they might just need to pray that the teams below them fail to pick up the required points. Gianni Paladini is the name being mentioned but after seeing his antics in that QPR programme I doubt I would want him hovering around my club but if he's the only solution to the clear the club of Pannu and Yeung then that might be their only approach.

I really can't see our club dishing out the money they would require for Jack Butland when we have Ben Foster who has at least another 6 years or so left in himself at a club he seems relatively happy with. To pay for Butland to sit on our bench I don't think would go down well with our hierarchy, especially as that money could go elsewhere in improving our existing squad.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #590 on: January 21, 2013, 10:37:08 PM »
Didn't Birmingham ask for something outlandish (more like outerspace-ish) like £6 million for Redmond?

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #591 on: January 21, 2013, 10:58:46 PM »
Didn't Birmingham ask for something outlandish (more like outerspace-ish) like £6 million for Redmond?

If Davies is going for £1.5 million, its a fire sale, Redmond would be no more than £2million.
Baggie in Southampton

east-stand-nick

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #592 on: January 22, 2013, 01:10:01 AM »
I don't want Davies anywhere near our football club.

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #593 on: January 22, 2013, 09:32:45 AM »
Burke and redman are the only two id take a punt on.

Curtis davies? are you having a laugh?

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #594 on: January 22, 2013, 10:52:05 AM »
If Davies is going for £1.5 million, its a fire sale, Redmond would be no more than £2million.

I think it might depend on the wages they are each on. If Redmond is on a lot less than Davies which is entirely possible then they would want more for him in terms of a fee so its plausible.

Davies made a mistake making the comments he did when he left and the way he went about trying to force a move away will make it difficult for many to accept him back. A player of his ability would be a welcome addition for me but when we have people booing Rosenberg for no real reason I doubt it would work out for Davies.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #595 on: January 22, 2013, 12:01:27 PM »
Sorry state of affairs, looked at their squad and it really is a bit of a mess frankly they would struggle to give most of them away. They have maybe five saleable players Redmond, Davies,Butland,Burke and maybe Ambrose. Those aside the rest are either too old and or too rubbish for anyone to hand money over for them. This was a Premier League side 2 seasons ago last year they were challenging for promotion this year if they unload their few remaining half decent players they could be relegated and Zigic will be the best paid player in the League 1.

If further evidence was required of how badly things can go wrong at a football club when it spends money it does not have we have it in abundance here. 
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

RowleyBaggie2

• WBA Manager

« Reply #596 on: January 22, 2013, 12:17:45 PM »
I'd sooner re sign Tchoyi to partner El Ghanassey at centre half than have him back.
I only go for the beer.

silver surfer

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #597 on: January 23, 2013, 03:59:46 PM »
Curtis "i was a big fish in a small pond at Albion" Davies?

No thanks.

weareblueweare white

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #598 on: January 23, 2013, 09:29:06 PM »
Curtis "i was a big fish in a small pond at Albion" Davies?

No thanks.

Reading were interested but seem to be put off by his £25K a week wages. No wonder Blues are in the sh#t financially when the likes of Cuntis are earning this much.

Ben1983

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #599 on: January 24, 2013, 06:26:42 PM »
He was to busy doing interviews when he was with us, 'the new Rio Ferdinand'.

I'm glad he's found his level.
WestBrom.com FC Number 10