Author Topic: Next manager...  (Read 725241 times)

gazberg

• WBA Manager

Re: Next manager...
« Reply #3450 on: June 11, 2019, 09:52:27 PM »
Agreed. A fresh start. Will hopefully give everyone a kick up the backside.

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3451 on: June 11, 2019, 09:54:20 PM »
I haven't read the board have agreed to pay his wages. I have read that they've made an offer and lawyers are scrutinising the offer. Hopefully it'll be a done deal this week though.

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3452 on: June 11, 2019, 09:55:28 PM »
Great news, something completely fresh. No history of the club so should bring in something completely new. Also seen a few comments over his recruitment at West Ham; one - that won’t be completely down to him and two - were they that bad? He got in lanzini, Antonio, Adrian and arnautovic to name a few.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3453 on: June 11, 2019, 09:58:57 PM »
I haven't read the board have agreed to pay his wages. I have read that they've made an offer and lawyers are scrutinising the offer. Hopefully it'll be a done deal this week though.

One of the Sky Sports guys said they were miles apart on wages but it's been sorted. I'd guess Bilic dropped his demands a little and the board agreed to it. Also said he's had reassurances on other issues.

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3454 on: June 11, 2019, 10:06:19 PM »

One of the Sky Sports guys said they were miles apart on wages but it's been sorted. I'd guess Bilic dropped his demands a little and the board agreed to it. Also said he's had reassurances on other issues.

Superb if true. I still feel (if he does get the job) that there will one day be a fall out regarding promises made and broken...

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3455 on: June 11, 2019, 10:10:37 PM »
Agreed. I wouldn't trust Jenkins as far as I could throw him.

Nathan

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3456 on: June 11, 2019, 10:28:22 PM »
Out of all the names linked with the job, Bilic is the only one that has really appealed to me and got me remotely excited and thinking positively. If anyone can stand up to Jenkins and attempt to influence and challenge his mindset over any issues that arise, then a character such as Bilic will do it. This might have already happened. Lets hope we can get this over the line by the end of the week.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3457 on: June 11, 2019, 10:33:10 PM »
Well he's not a yes man, that's for sure and i think that's why Adkins didn't appeal.

I'm behind this 100% and it brings some character to the club. We've been a little beige for a while!
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3458 on: June 11, 2019, 11:25:39 PM »
Good news if true.
I like his passion and the fans will be right behind him,let's hope he gets his style over to the players also he will have contacts in Europe so let's give the guy a chance.

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3459 on: June 11, 2019, 11:50:56 PM »
Let's hope we get this done. Under the circumstances, I'm very happy with Bilic

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3460 on: June 12, 2019, 01:26:38 AM »
Have just read all over Twitter that Slaven Bilic has agreed a 3 year deal. Nothing from official sources, but haven't seen anything that seems to have such weight to it before.

EDIT the Daily Mail are reporting he has agreed a 3 year deal. Just awaiting confirmation from the OS.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 01:32:07 AM by 17GD »

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3461 on: June 12, 2019, 01:48:25 AM »
Looks like it is almost there with Bilic Daily Mail reporting 3 year contract agreed.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7130755/Slaven-Bilic-set-named-West-Brom-boss-agreeing-three-year-deal-Championship-club.html

Overall I am cautiously optimistic with the proviso that he gets time to work.

Generally he plays progressive football. His record at West Ham was 1 very good season (West Ham's best in the PL era) one mixed and a very poor start to 17/18 season.

Deeply sceptical about who did what with regard transfers at West Ham the whole place is a bit of a soap opera and once Bilic was gone it was very clear that the board was actively briefing against him and running stories about which players he had turned down etc..

With regard to backroom staff he had a group of coaches he had worked with since his spell in charge of the Croatian national team.  That group has now broken up and working elsewhere whether he can get the band back together is debatable but it will be interesting to see who he appoints.

Interesting times and it won't be dull

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

kanu

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #3462 on: June 12, 2019, 06:30:20 AM »
Delighted if this happens. Just who we need. I was dreading Adkins, Hughton or Appleton. The first two of those three may actually have managed a top six finish but I wouldn’t feel excited like I do now. And anyway if Slav is a disaster then one, if not all of those three, plus their type will always be out there  and available to bring in. We needed charismatic, invigorating, unpredictable, attacking and not steady Eddie, does what it says on the tin. We’re bored of that...bring on the Slav era! Please don’t lose him now Jenkins.

victor mature

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #3463 on: June 12, 2019, 08:03:30 AM »
Although I was cautiously behind appointing Hughton/Adkins/Pearson, I think Bilic would be a great coup for us.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3464 on: June 12, 2019, 08:13:46 AM »
I wanted Jokanovic, but am equally as happy with Bilic. He is an intelligent man, a good speaker and talks a lot of common sense about football from what I’ve seen and heard of him as a pundit on TV.

Fingers crossed!
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3465 on: June 12, 2019, 08:16:58 AM »
West Brom enter final stages of Slaven Bilic talks as contract sent to lawyers

It’s all looking positive

Source: https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2019/06/11/west-brom-enter-final-stages-of-slaven-bilic-talks-as-contract-sent-to-lawyers/
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

section5

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3466 on: June 12, 2019, 08:26:23 AM »
Begs the question why we didnt just go for a proper manager in this time last year while fitting in big dave as joint assistant. Will be a coup for us and I think will bring back a bit of positivity backnto the club

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3467 on: June 12, 2019, 08:31:39 AM »
Begs the question why we didnt just go for a proper manager in this time last year while fitting in big dave as joint assistant. Will be a coup for us and I think will bring back a bit of positivity backnto the club

My personal belief is that we've delayed the appointment to have a payment break. Despite all the warranted criticism of the board. If this course of action made it possible to go for a more expensive target, then we have to give Jenkins props. I can only think that Bilic will get backing or don't think he would have agreed to sign on for 3 years

TiptonThrostle

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3468 on: June 12, 2019, 08:48:24 AM »
My personal belief is that we've delayed the appointment to have a payment break. Despite all the warranted criticism of the board. If this course of action made it possible to go for a more expensive target, then we have to give Jenkins props. I can only think that Bilic will get backing or don't think he would have agreed to sign on for 3 years

Agree with this. Bilic is quite an outspoken character and not afraid to say what he thinks and certainly is not a yes man. Because of that and the length of contract which is surprising he must have been told or promised he will be backed financially.

no way in this world would he have taken the job on the basis he would have to sign players on free or prioritise the loan market.

i think Albion have had to change their budgets and initial plans to get Bilic in to be honest.

i just hope the fans, board etc give him the 3 years and time to re-build the team. the fans must have patience this season.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #3469 on: June 12, 2019, 08:51:57 AM »
if hes appointed then i will renew my season ticket all being well by xmas
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3470 on: June 12, 2019, 09:05:18 AM »
Very happy with this, and not just because he is a very good manager, but also because it puts to bed the "cheap option" rhetoric. I was actually starting to buy into it myself that we were on an, asset stripping, downward spiral, whereas this appointment suggests the club still has serious ambitions. I know he is out of work but I can't imagine he was at the cheaper end of the scale compared to others mentioned.
Glad when it is finally confirmed so that I can get some positive vibes back.

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3471 on: June 12, 2019, 09:05:50 AM »
Agreed Tipton, he needs to be given 2 seasons minimum.

webral

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #3472 on: June 12, 2019, 09:14:30 AM »
I like Bilic and hope I'm wrong but don't think it's a good appointment.

Talk that he had lost the dressing room at West Ham and was a poor tactician.

Sacked again at Ittihad who were probably well backed with a poor win ratio.

Limited knowledge of the championship.

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3473 on: June 12, 2019, 09:21:37 AM »
I like Bilic and hope I'm wrong but don't think it's a good appointment.

Talk that he had lost the dressing room at West Ham and was a poor tactician.

Sacked again at Ittihad who were probably well backed with a poor win ratio.

Limited knowledge of the championship.

How do you figure that? He's had loads of experience of english football.

TiptonThrostle

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3474 on: June 12, 2019, 09:48:35 AM »
agree with the previous comment about that no way would bilic be near the cheaper options what we had to go for for the next manager so if we can get it all finalised then it is a good move.

BUT, like i have said on an earlier comment. the fans MUST back the team and manager next season and may be times we are bottom half of the table. This is all part of the rebuilding process and we must give Bilic an absolute minimum of 2 years. For far too long we have appointed the wrong manager but even so within weeks or several months the pressure is on immediately to provide success. however, i would say this is the first manager we have appointed since Hodgson where there feels to be optimism amongst majority of Albion fans and that tells us a lot considering how many people have been in the hot seat after Roy. The ground needs to back the team next season as there may be times it may not  be great as Bilic builds his own team and ships out the dead wood.

COYB.