Author Topic: Brentford  (Read 1342 times)

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

Brentford
« on: February 06, 2021, 04:49:39 PM »
So, Brentford are just so good, they make great signings, bring players through and make great profit, they lose managers but always seem to find another one to take over the reigns, but...... they have never got promoted.....yet.
Question is, will it all go to hell once they do get to the "promised land" and are they better off staying where they are, playing great football, winning more than they lose and, generally, loving life?

I can't help thinking that the greed league will crush them and it will be such a shame.

Given how last season finished, and where we both are now, who's really better off?

Have they cracked the system by doing everything right without ever getting relegated to the greed league?

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

Re: Brentford
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2021, 04:56:47 PM »
They have a good set up and a vision for how they want the club to run.

Good recruitment team and a clear way of wanting to play football means they can replace players for profit and the coach has the same style of player to suit the team. If the coach leaves they bring in someone else who will suit the system.

Credit to them. Enjoyed watching them play last couple years. The current manager is an arrogant clown but he’s got them playing some good stuff and they will probably come up automatically this season.

I think they will come up trying to play the same way. Similar to Leeds, they have a way of playing and stick by it.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2021, 04:59:03 PM »
I think they will do well.

May yo-yo a season or too but i see them established.

Good infrastructure. Good scouting. Well ran. A way of playing. Cash in bank etc etc

Magnify that by PL money and i see only relative success.

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2021, 05:04:15 PM »
Similar to Bournemouth who did relatively well for a few years but the spectre of relegation hangs over 50% of the Premier League every year, one bad transfer window and you could be history and the vile proved size is no guarantee.

Adamstv

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2021, 09:01:35 PM »
Think we missed a trick with Toney

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2021, 12:27:06 AM »
I don’t see any reason why, with more money available to play with, they can’t go on to crack the premier league as well.

They seem to have found a unique way to compete with bigger clubs not by trying to beat them at their own game, but by creating their own.

They use statistics to make signings better than any club in Britain, they got rid of their youth set up and replaced it with a “second chance” academy for the best players who had been released by top sides after the age of 16, focussing resources where they can make the most difference. They know when to sell players for maximum profit and have worked out the code for what makes a good striker.

I think if/when they go up, they will spend a few years mid table and make some really exciting signings. The only thing that might make their lives difficult are the new post brexit arrangements, but they haven’t stopped us from signing Yokuslu and Diagne so there will still be players available.
Boing Boing

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2021, 01:03:34 AM »
I want to see them promoted to see how they get on and from a purely selfish point of view I'd rather they weren't in the Championship next season.

I am pretty certain they won't spend heavily to stay in the Premier League. I suspect their approach to promotion will be the same as it was when they were promoted from League 1 to the Championship i.e. fairly cautious but if they stay up will continue to trade at a profit and grow gradually. 

The approach is fairly well documented but it needs to be remembered that Benham has been heavily involved Brentford for over 10 years and their processes have evolved over time and there has been at least 3 fairly major reorganisations behind the scenes to get to where they are today.

They still have one of the smaller budgets in the Championship and while they have frankly embarrassed a lot of Championship clubs in terms of their level of performance with the resources they have available I do fear that the sheer weight of money ranged against them might prove too much in the Premier League.

As an aside Brentford v Brighton might be interesting, Benham used to work for Bloom and the two don't get on. 

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2021, 01:17:18 AM »
I just look at the players they have sold in recent years that they managed to find with a league 1 and championship budget and can’t help but get excited (from a neutral observers perspective) about what they could do with even more money.

Ezra Konsa (currently being talked about as potential England material)
Said Benrahma
Ollie Watkins
Neal Maupay
John Egan
Jack O’Connell

Add in their best players like Ivan Toney, Rico Henry, Christian Norgaard, Mathias Jensen, Bryan Mbuemo and Ethan Pinnock and that’s a seriously impressively recruitment slate - there can’t be another side in England who have found more players from “nowhere “ than that.

Boing Boing

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2021, 01:03:31 PM »
Play great football, scoring for fun of late and I really fancy them to get promoted. I thought they may have struggled a bit this season having lost two great players, but they seem to be doing better than last season.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2021, 01:36:10 PM »
Two Directors of Football running the club smartly. A model of where we should be, given we had the head start with Ashworth.

They do have a competitive advantage in that their Owner owns a sports analytics company, though.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

TAFKATMNo1Fan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2021, 03:23:32 PM »
I just look at the players they have sold in recent years that they managed to find with a league 1 and championship budget and can’t help but get excited (from a neutral observers perspective) about what they could do with even more money.

Ezra Konsa (currently being talked about as potential England material)
Said Benrahma
Ollie Watkins
Neal Maupay
John Egan
Jack O’Connell

Add in their best players like Ivan Toney, Rico Henry, Christian Norgaard, Mathias Jensen, Bryan Mbuemo and Ethan Pinnock and that’s a seriously impressively recruitment slate - there can’t be another side in England who have found more players from “nowhere “ than that.

Plus they sold their captain Sawyers........ ;D