Author Topic: Next manager...  (Read 718376 times)

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

Re: Next manager...
« Reply #2100 on: May 16, 2019, 01:22:14 PM »
I'm not bothered about 'a name'
Vierra and Henry ?  ;D
Fantastic footballers but neither have done anything in management to warrant any serious attention.
I wan't somebody that can assemble a team of footballers that can play football the way we did when Mowbray was here. If Mowbray was interested I'd have him back.
I'm sick of managers being appointed that 'know the club' That means they are basically mates with the players. I want a manager that manages his way not one that cowers to player pressure.
Get a manager in that can build a side then give him the tools to do the job
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2101 on: May 16, 2019, 02:04:24 PM »
Surprised there are no takers for Dyche.

I would love him here.

I just don't think the panacea of this Barca style football on our budget is possible is possible long term.

You may get it to work in the short term in the prem but then your cultured players will be sold and you won't be able to replace them so easily as there is not a conveyor belt of them as everyone wants that type of player.

A bit like Southampton played some good stuff when they came up and then sold the best ones to Liverpool and who despite having a massive catchment area to produce players from their excellent academy, sell them and find it hard to replace them and then suffer, whilst the likes of puel are driven out whilst do relatively well because they all want champagne football.

Personally, I would take winning football anyway it came, I loved the god Megson era and some of the pulis reign when we battering, ironically, Burnley.

Imo it is the pep's of this world who have hundreds of millions to spend that created this entertainment business.

To me it has always been a sport and winning was what mattered and everything else is a bonus.

Mr Cynical

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2102 on: May 16, 2019, 02:15:00 PM »
Has anyone got faith in the executives of this club to appoint a decent manager?  I have none.  I have no idea of the criteria they use to select a manager... and if they're sticking to them them?  I have no confidence in them picking the 'right' man.

I think you have to go back to 2011 and Roy Hodgson sinc they picked a good one, and that was down to Ashton rather than anyone else.  Steve Clarke (a coach right under their nose). Pepe Mel (didn't have the right players). Alan Irvine (not sure what he bought to the party). Pulis (did a good rescue job, but it should have ended there). Pardew (just no idea). Moore (could be a good manager with some experience).  And the last 2 months where they couldn't be bothered to appoint anyone.  This is not including Dowling, Kelly, Megson and Shan (as space fillers).

I think that if we're going to try to hang on to some of the more well know players we have then Hughton is a good choice.  If we're going to sell the better known players then Jokanovic would be a good choice.  So the strategy of the club is important... and I'm not sure we have one of those either.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #2103 on: May 16, 2019, 03:17:25 PM »
Does anyone know anything?
It just seems a lot of guess work to me..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48296049

Danny Cowley & Chris Hughton under consideration for manager's job.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2104 on: May 16, 2019, 03:25:26 PM »

Strikes me as speculative journalism to be honest. I would suggest that Simon Stone has been reading this forum and made a story out of it.

Even a chimp can work out that Hughton is available and may be on the Albion radar.

No 'a spokesperson from the club has confirmed....'etc, just his take on a blindingly obvious story.
MAGA!

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2105 on: May 16, 2019, 03:30:26 PM »

If all the rumours are true then there seems little in the way of cohesive planning.

Hughton - Out of work, so technically free although wage expectations would be fairly high. Good record of promotion from this league. Plays ok football in Champ, not overly expansive or defensive, fairly mainstream

Cowley - In work but in lower leagues so compensation not excessive nor would his wage expectations be. Plays god awful football and makes no apologies for it.

Viera - In work in Ligue 1 so compensation would be high as would wage demands. Little experience to go on so no real idea of his style of play but record average at best.

I hope these are all just paper talk as they just seem far too different. I would like us to have an idea of what we are looking for and interviewing managers that fit the model rather than just a scattergun approach. Smacks of an accountant pulling the strings and testing the various waters from a financial stand point.
If Dowling has any sway (if indeed he exists at all. Have him and Jenkins ever been seen in the same room) he should be laying down a blueprint of how the playing side of things should move forward and identifying managers that fit the model.

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2106 on: May 16, 2019, 03:34:47 PM »

I was just about to post very similar.

Let's just appoint a name eh?

Due diligence anyone?

No not just because he's a name. But he's young, ambitious, plays attractive high tempo football and is used to being a winner. Isn't that the criteria fans are asking for?
I wanted Dean Smith last season for exactly the same reasons , and he isn't a name.

BAGGIE5

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2107 on: May 16, 2019, 03:36:38 PM »
Is biesla too far fetched?

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2108 on: May 16, 2019, 03:39:31 PM »
No not just because he's a name. But he's young, ambitious, plays attractive high tempo football and is used to being a winner. Isn't that the criteria fans are asking for?
I wanted Dean Smith last season for exactly the same reasons , and he isn't a name.

He doesn't play high tempo or attractive football. If he does given his stats he's not just bad at it he's bloody awful.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 03:42:01 PM by Atomic »

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2109 on: May 16, 2019, 03:40:34 PM »
Strikes me as speculative journalism to be honest. I would suggest that Simon Stone has been reading this forum and made a story out of it.

Even a chimp can work out that Hughton is available and may be on the Albion radar.

No 'a spokesperson from the club has confirmed....'etc, just his take on a blindingly obvious story.

The Telegraphs John Percy, who is normally reliable and the nearest to a club spokesperson we have  ;) has written that the board will be meeting with Hughton next week, but as for the other names,  I suspect you are right,lazy journalism!
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2110 on: May 16, 2019, 04:23:53 PM »
Is biesla too far fetched?

I would say so, why would he leave Leeds and come here?

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2111 on: May 16, 2019, 04:25:57 PM »
I would say so, why would he leave Leeds and come here?

because he has been sacked ?  It wouldn't surprise me at leeds.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Maresca Was A Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2112 on: May 16, 2019, 04:38:32 PM »
The boards Criteria will be as per always.

The guy needs to be out of work. Needs to be Cheap. Mustn't demand too much of the club in way of money to spend. Must be a Yes man for the board.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2113 on: May 16, 2019, 05:36:19 PM »
The Telegraphs John Percy, who is normally reliable and the nearest to a club spokesperson we have  ;) has written that the board will be meeting with Hughton next week, but as for the other names,  I suspect you are right,lazy journalism!

To be fair Percy has name checked Vieira and Jokanović in the same article.

Cowley seems to be being mentioned by the Express & Star and BBC but who is reporting whom there is anyones guess.

If I had to bet on anyone my money would be Hughton. Frankly anyone else seems a long shot.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2114 on: May 16, 2019, 05:44:24 PM »
I think it’s obvious that if Hughton wants it, he will get it. Cowley apparently plays Pulis esque football and is extremely unproven at this level - that would be a huge gamble.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2115 on: May 16, 2019, 05:53:10 PM »
I think it’s obvious that if Hughton wants it, he will get it. Cowley apparently plays Pulis esque football and is extremely unproven at this level - that would be a huge gamble.

I only hope it is true and that he is not on any gardening leave and is actually free to join us.

Having him at the helm would make more positive than I have been in a long time our manager.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2116 on: May 16, 2019, 06:12:45 PM »
I like the sound of Cowley, he is clearly a great manager at the lower levels...whether that can be translated to the Championship is unknown, but he is somewhat experienced with a good track record. I know the Sheffield United manager started under similar lower-league circumstances.

In terms of ugly football, Hughton isn't too far off Pulis anyway.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #2117 on: May 16, 2019, 06:31:42 PM »
£500K compensation for Cowley, cannot see us paying it when other freebies are available, still expecting Appleton personally

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7037771/Lincoln-boss-Danny-Cowley-cost-West-Brom-just-500-000.html
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2118 on: May 16, 2019, 06:52:19 PM »
£500K compensation for Cowley, cannot see us paying it when other freebies are available, still expecting Appleton personally

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7037771/Lincoln-boss-Danny-Cowley-cost-West-Brom-just-500-000.html

If we pay this then we are mad, we might as well go for Mickey Mellon.

If we aren't going to get CH then we could look at Paul Cook at Wigan, he can bring nick Powell with him.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2119 on: May 16, 2019, 06:52:52 PM »
£500k for a pound shop Pulis!!

Hughton is looking like a more exciting proposition by the minute.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2120 on: May 16, 2019, 07:08:52 PM »
If we go with another hit and hope negative manager then I’m done with the club.

ranvir wba90

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2121 on: May 16, 2019, 07:30:36 PM »
Aitor Karanka would be a good appointment.

section5

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2122 on: May 16, 2019, 07:39:55 PM »
Think id rather Hughton. Karanka has a history of spitting his dummy out and aren't too dissimilar in style to each other 

wbako

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2123 on: May 16, 2019, 07:40:24 PM »
I mentioned Cowley a month or two ago.

I didn't realise so many of our fans watched Lincoln regularly, as many have a good knowledge of his playing style. Personally, I am immensely impressed with his record and he obviously has something about him. Give him a chance, I say.

Hughton hardly plays Guardiola style football, does he?
All time favourite player: Jan Kozak

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2124 on: May 16, 2019, 07:41:50 PM »
Aitor Karanka would be a good appointment.

We've had pound shop Pulis and now Foreign Pulis is mooted...

I didn't sit through the Pulis years to go back to that. If only we hadn't sacked TP, he could have gone at the end of the season while we were still a PL club and we could have built from there.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.