Author Topic: Next manager...  (Read 724860 times)

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

Re: Next manager...
« Reply #2150 on: May 17, 2019, 08:54:42 AM »
At the end of the day does it really matter who we want or who we don't want? We have no say whatsoever in it so whoever it is we will have to get behind anyway
12/02/12 - wo1ve5 #weshouldhavehadten

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2151 on: May 17, 2019, 09:01:51 AM »
At the end of the day does it really matter who we want or who we don't want? We have no say whatsoever in it so whoever it is we will have to get behind anyway
I think it matters certainly. It matters to people who are undecided about buying or renewing a season ticket for example. Should the new coach be perceived to be Pulisesque then many undecideds probably wouldn't get one should we appoint Bob Taylor for example the tkt office staff would get killed in the rush to buy so yes it matters !! ;D ;D
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2152 on: May 17, 2019, 09:32:37 AM »

It matters to me ph, I feel as though I was forced into buying my two season tickets early without knowing what I was actually signing up to. I did not know what division we would be in, or who the manager will be. Football is in the entertainment business, and I want to be entertained. Having scoffed at many who said that they would not set foot in the ground whilst Pulis was there, I can now see their point. When I purchased my tickets over the phone I made a point of asking the lady if I can claim a full refund if they appoint Allardyce as the next manager. She did not say but did indicate that Mr Bung would not be at our club.

So it does matter, as I have no intention of sitting through dire Pulis type tactics again... life is too short for that. 
MAGA!

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #2153 on: May 17, 2019, 09:36:55 AM »
It matters to me ph, I feel as though I was forced into buying my two season tickets early without knowing what I was actually signing up to. I did not know what division we would be in, or who the manager will be. Football is in the entertainment business, and I want to be entertained. Having scoffed at many who said that they would not set foot in the ground whilst Pulis was there, I can now see their point. When I purchased my tickets over the phone I made a point of asking the lady if I can claim a full refund if they appoint Allardyce as the next manager. She did not say but did indicate that Mr Bung would not be at our club.

So it does matter, as I have no intention of sitting through dire Pulis type tactics again... life is too short for that.

My point is we can all say we want Joe Bloggs because of his style of football or we dont want John Bloggs because of his type of football but we dont get a say in it, the club chooses and we have to deal with it. The choice then is do we go week in week out and support the stripes or do we stay away because we dont like a manager? I will go regardless and I will have a season ticket regardless

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2154 on: May 17, 2019, 10:08:49 AM »
My point is we can all say we want Joe Bloggs because of his style of football or we dont want John Bloggs because of his type of football but we dont get a say in it, the club chooses and we have to deal with it. The choice then is do we go week in week out and support the stripes or do we stay away because we dont like a manager? I will go regardless and I will have a season ticket regardless
Good on you mate, totally agree
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

NathWBA

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2155 on: May 17, 2019, 10:23:52 AM »

The refund policy on stilecards states it’s the clubs discretion, so it would be a case by case basis, would they refund because someone doesn’t like a manager? Doubtful.
I doubt the ticket office lady would be able to confirm that allardyce will not be manager of the club, I doubt she’s privy to that sort of info.
Whilst I do like to be entertained the brand of football wouldn’t be enough to stop me going to support the team, managers come and go, it’s not the manager I support it’s the club.
The Lord's My Sheperd I'll Not Want
He Makes Me Down To Lie,
In Pastures Green,He Leadeth Me,
The Quiet Waters By.

baggiemart

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2156 on: May 17, 2019, 10:35:53 AM »
Whoever we get as manager not everyone is going to be happy.

I'm a fan of route one football. It gets results and it puts the opponents defence under increased pressure and we don't get into trouble passing it around at the back.  A tactic that has cost us many points this season.  So a manager who brings that is okay with me.

Other people like the passing out from the back. But if a manager brings that game you have got to have the players to play that game. Two managers that have been mentioned on here, Alex Neal and Graham Potter employ this tactic and look what we did to them at the Hawthorns.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #2157 on: May 17, 2019, 10:48:50 AM »
Whoever we get as manager not everyone is going to be happy.

I'm a fan of route one football. It gets results and it puts the opponents defence under increased pressure and we don't get into trouble passing it around at the back.  A tactic that has cost us many points this season.  So a manager who brings that is okay with me.

Other people like the passing out from the back. But if a manager brings that game you have got to have the players to play that game. Two managers that have been mentioned on here, Alex Neal and Graham Potter employ this tactic and look what we did to them at the Hawthorns.
It's not as simple as saying 'look what we did to them at the Hawthorns' though. Potter has been introducing his style and using a lot of younger players....it doesn't work instantly or 100% of the time. They still caused us plenty of problems at the Hawthorns and were without their main goal scorer.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

baggiemart

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2158 on: May 17, 2019, 11:04:19 AM »
It's not as simple as saying 'look what we did to them at the Hawthorns' though. Potter has been introducing his style and using a lot of younger players....it doesn't work instantly or 100% of the time. They still caused us plenty of problems at the Hawthorns and were without their main goal scorer.

You get nothing for causing problems, it was 3 - 0  !!! .  So you would be happy with us playing that type of football and losing 3 - 0 .  Football is a results game.  We have been  a better side since Darren Moore and Graeme Jones have left the club. I am sure the mood on these boards would be more positive if we had gained promotion with a more direct approach.  Sometimes you have to live in the real world. There are only 2 sides in the country who play attractive football and get results and they both finished miles ahead of the rest at the top of the premier league after spending Millions.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2159 on: May 17, 2019, 11:08:49 AM »
After all is said and done I don't care who comes in and how they play as long as they sort this mess out, clearout the dead weight and get us back up.

Retaiined playing list going up today apparently. Dread to see who is retained.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2160 on: May 17, 2019, 11:20:04 AM »

Many did when Pulis was there, that was obvious from this forum.

I am likely to go regardless because I too have a season ticket [two actually]. I think some are taking my comments a bit too seriously about the refund - I am aware that it is at the clubs discretion, and my comment to the ticket lady was tongue in cheek. I seriously do not think that she is connected any more than the journalist who said that we were interested in speaking to Hughton. However, should we appoint Allardyce, for devilment I will write to the club..... :)

As a hypothetical situation, if Pulis leaves Middlesborough tomorrow and we appoint him on a 3 year contract, what would you do? Its all a matter of choice, I am a no bigger fan than you or anyone else, but the thought of watching that rubbish again for 3 years completely turns me off, and yes I probably would give it a miss. There are no prizes handed out for never missing a match or going home and away, I have done all of that myself in the past. I do not think for one second that Jake Livermore [or many other players] in his fancy Lamborghini is bothered whether you go or not to be honest.

At the moment the club has no ambition and we seem to be bimbling from one disaster to another. There is a bloke in Jersey who is absolutely laughing all the way to the bank at our clubs expense [and some on here want him back!! WTF] and we are now owned by a chap who does not seem to care and has not given any indication that he is going to put a penny back into the club. Regardless of what division we were going to be in next year our current team will be broken up due to age, end of contracts, loanees returning to their parent clubs, and some players wanting to leave etc and there is no indication that we are going to be in a position to replace them with the quality of player required to get out of this division. With the reduction in the parachute payment this year [which I believe has already been borrowed against] I seriously worry about where we are going. 

My personal view is that we are in serious trouble. I am seeing no evidence to the contrary. The appointment of the next manager is essential, but we have got it wrong so many times before, so what are the chances that the board will get this one right? I am not hopeful and given their frugality you know that it is going to be a cheap and cheerful appointment. I would not be at all surprised in the slighest that it is Shan [and again, no disrespect to him].

I want to see a young, hungry Albion team managed by an up and coming manager who has ambition and wants to win. At this moment we have none of that, and no sign that this will be the case in the future. As someone else said, if you go week in week out regardless then 'good on you'. I will probably do the same in all honesty, but to get back to the original point, it does matter who we appoint and I would like to think that the club will take notice of how the supporters feel. However, with the Albion I do not think that this is the case. Their appointment will be based on cost, not long term ambition or capability.

Rant over.
MAGA!

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2161 on: May 17, 2019, 11:41:33 AM »
Pulis has left Boro.
Be afraid, be very afraid  :-X

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2162 on: May 17, 2019, 11:46:51 AM »
Pulis has left Boro.

Just seen it.
Lightening doesn't strike twice..............does it?
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2163 on: May 17, 2019, 11:53:11 AM »
Pulis has left Boro.

The board wouldnt be that stupid would they??

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2164 on: May 17, 2019, 11:53:29 AM »
Forget it, they would.

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #2165 on: May 17, 2019, 11:54:50 AM »
Skyclad I can't disagree with the points you make, but the point remains - the powers that be at the Albion aren't reading forums and Twitter to get our expert advise on who should be next manager or not, for a start we cant even agree on a way forward (managerial wise) on a forum anyway! :)
They will choose who they think is right based on their 'strategy', we can then go with it and support the manager or sit at home and be keyboard warriors having one man stay at home protests.
Even under the dinosaur I still went to matches, being at the bottom of the greed league was painful under all managers, I went to most matches thinking if we get a draw it will be a decent result so I was glad to get relegated and now the dust has settled im glad we didnt go up (yet) as I have enjoyed this season.
As for the next manager, if its Hughton, Shan, Jokanovic, Cowley or whoever, they start with my backing. See you next season!!

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #2166 on: May 17, 2019, 12:21:45 PM »
Pulis has left Boro.

i am afraid your winding a few up
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

baggiemart

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2167 on: May 17, 2019, 12:30:42 PM »
Skyclad I can't disagree with the points you make, but the point remains - the powers that be at the Albion aren't reading forums and Twitter to get our expert advise on who should be next manager or not, for a start we cant even agree on a way forward (managerial wise) on a forum anyway! :)
They will choose who they think is right based on their 'strategy', we can then go with it and support the manager or sit at home and be keyboard warriors having one man stay at home protests.
Even under the dinosaur I still went to matches, being at the bottom of the greed league was painful under all managers, I went to most matches thinking if we get a draw it will be a decent result so I was glad to get relegated and now the dust has settled im glad we didnt go up (yet) as I have enjoyed this season.
As for the next manager, if its Hughton, Shan, Jokanovic, Cowley or whoever, they start with my backing. See you next season!!

They will choose whoever decides they want it.  Lets face it , we are not the most attractive proposition !!

Neal turned us down, I think Jokanovic has probably turned us down, even Shan is probably pleased about going back to his coaching post.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2168 on: May 17, 2019, 12:43:14 PM »

I believe that they actively monitor all social media feeds to gauge the opinion of the fanbase, it would be gross incompetence of the press and media director if he/she/they didn't. Whether they take a blind bit of notice though is another matter all together!

See you there unless we recruit Mr Bung ;)

MAGA!

lindenbaggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2169 on: May 17, 2019, 12:59:05 PM »

I wonder how much Swansea would want for McBurney.

wbastrollers

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2170 on: May 17, 2019, 01:05:56 PM »

i am afraid your winding a few up

We couldn’t afford him!!

lindenbaggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2171 on: May 17, 2019, 01:35:12 PM »
They will choose whoever decides they want it.  Lets face it , we are not the most attractive proposition !!

Neal turned us down, I think Jokanovic has probably turned us down, even Shan is probably pleased about going back to his coaching post.

Shan has had a taste of more responsibility without having much authority, and hasn't disgraced himself at all. Will a potential manager be put off knowing that the club have a trusted coach already in place should things falter? I'd prefer Moyes, but don't know if he's actively looking for an opening anywhere.
-

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2172 on: May 17, 2019, 01:56:16 PM »
As a hypothetical situation, if Pulis leaves Middlesborough tomorrow and we appoint him on a 3 year contract, what would you do?

The plan is I attend the first game of the season break up my seat throw it on the pitch and get banned just to make sure I'm not tempted to return to the Hawthorns during his second time around.

I never thought I would ever not want to go to the Hawthorns. I have been going for thick and thin but I couldn't stand watching his football. It is by some distance the most depressing I have ever witnessed on a regular basis. I don't want him or any mini version of him.

I will give almost any appointment a chance that is only fair but obviously I will feel more optimistic about some than others. For me it is all about the style of play the new Head Coach brings with him the further removed from Pulisball the better. 
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2173 on: May 17, 2019, 02:03:57 PM »
The plan is I attend the first game of the season break up my seat throw it on the pitch and get banned just to make sure I'm not tempted to return to the Hawthorns during his second time around.

I never thought I would ever not want to go to the Hawthorns. I have been going for thick and thin but I couldn't stand watching his football. It is by some distance the most depressing I have ever witnessed on a regular basis. I don't want him or any mini version of him.

I will give almost any appointment a chance that is only fair but obviously I will feel more optimistic about some than others. For me it is all about the style of play the new Head Coach brings with him the further removed from Pulisball the better.

Not so long ago when he was with us I could not understand why so many were coming on here saying the same, and the fact that they would not return until he was gone.

I now fully understand.

I think that there will be quite a few seats broken on the first game if this were to happen.....
MAGA!

NathWBA

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2174 on: May 17, 2019, 02:23:52 PM »
I see Alan Nixon is saying on twitter the cowley brothers aren’t keen on the job and that the wages on offer to anyone aren’t great which is putting people off.
The Lord's My Sheperd I'll Not Want
He Makes Me Down To Lie,
In Pastures Green,He Leadeth Me,
The Quiet Waters By.