Author Topic: Anyone else just really fed up with WBA?  (Read 11212 times)

crazedwbafan18

• Senior Baggie

Anyone else just really fed up with WBA?
« on: June 09, 2019, 12:35:37 PM »
I should say I'm not a complete glory hunter but right now it seems like there's a lot of negativity, a lot of our key players seem to be linked or off now this summer and the enormity of the task just seems too much to progress upwards. Meanwhile, our two main rivals are in the premier league and there's not an ounce of me that feels like we will be joining them anytime soon. Poor mismanagement, a dose of reality and a heartbreaking penalty shootout has just left me feeling a bit meh. Next season will probably be a slog, unless we get our act together, and financially we just can't compete anymore meaning we're left with the rest, after a pretty exciting last decade or so. MEH
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 12:49:16 PM by crazedwbafan18 »

gazberg

• WBA Manager

Re: Anyone else just really fed up with WBA?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2019, 12:41:36 PM »
Yep totally fed up of this Jenkins/Lai combo. Said i wont give the club another penny till Jenkins is gone or i see them making a solid effort. They wont miss my money but i cannot give them a penny. Giving them money is like saying i support what they have done and are doing. I just can't do it.

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2019, 01:59:22 PM »
It certainly seems as though simply setting up for next season is a big ask, let alone getting back to the PL.

I do feel very low with the way things have been going. Although part of me feels that losing in the play offs was a blessing in disguise. We would have had our key players suspended for the final and would have no doubt faced another final defeat to Derby. But had we somehow managed to claw a victory, we wouldn't have lasted in the PL because we wouldn't have invested. Anyone who thinks we'd have spent and bought Gayle and others are mistaken. The owner has no aspirations so we'd have had a championship squad in the PL.

It's best that we rebuild from scratch, like we did 15-20 years ago.

The only thing that concerns me at the moment is our delay in appointing a manager. We've made it clear who we want but they're still not in the door. It smacks of a club who doesn't have a plan and simply doesn't know what to do or what style to go with.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2019, 02:25:11 PM »
It certainly seems as though simply setting up for next season is a big ask, let alone getting back to the PL.

I do feel very low with the way things have been going. Although part of me feels that losing in the play offs was a blessing in disguise. We would have had our key players suspended for the final and would have no doubt faced another final defeat to Derby. But had we somehow managed to claw a victory, we wouldn't have lasted in the PL because we wouldn't have invested. Anyone who thinks we'd have spent and bought Gayle and others are mistaken. The owner has no aspirations so we'd have had a championship squad in the PL.

It's best that we rebuild from scratch, like we did 15-20 years ago.

The only thing that concerns me at the moment is our delay in appointing a manager. We've made it clear who we want but they're still not in the door. It smacks of a club who doesn't have a plan and simply doesn't know what to do or what style to go with.

How can you possibly know that?  Surely it would have been his opportunity to sell up and get his money back.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2019, 02:26:39 PM »
Unless we get our act together next season is going to be a culture shock for all of our fans aged 25 and under.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2019, 02:38:54 PM »
How can you possibly know that?  Surely it would have been his opportunity to sell up and get his money back.

Can't see him getting his £200m back, can you? And when owners can't get their money they usually hold on till they get the best price and spend nothing in the meantime.

And with regards bringing in new faces, I can't see these owners spending the required money to bring in the quality needed, even with the big money received from promotion.

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2019, 03:15:41 PM »
Can't see him getting his £200m back, can you? And when owners can't get their money they usually hold on till they get the best price and spend nothing in the meantime.

And with regards bringing in new faces, I can't see these owners spending the required money to bring in the quality needed, even with the big money received from promotion.

Why? We spent more under Lai then we ever did under Peace in a window. Our problem has not been lack of spending, it's been lack of spending wisely.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2019, 03:21:40 PM »

If we get promoted then yes, I’d see him getting his (close to) £200m back.  The alternative for him is never going to see him get more than around £60m back.  And he can’t just sell players and pocket the proceeds as he can only take out dividends if there are distributable profits (which there won’t be if we don’t go up).   The most logical thing for him to do, as a businessman, is to get things right this season and maximize the chances of promotion.

Utterly pointless speculating as to what Lai might or might not spend in players if we go up.  Let’s cross that bridge if we come to it.  My feeling is that at point he would sell up,  but that’s just a guess.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2019, 04:04:00 PM »
I’m absolutely fed up with WBA and not just the clowns running the club . Moore restored my pride in my club and was treated diabolically. So many on here constantly deriding him and look where we are now, no further forward, in fact probably two steps back. Whoever gets the job will be hounded by the know-alls so will have no chance to build.
Our last shred of integrity disappeared when we sacked a club legend whilst sitting 4th in the hardest league in Europe. No wonder we finding it hard to recruit when their job is to do better than Moore with less money and the same rubbish squad.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2019, 04:08:57 PM »
I’m absolutely fed up with WBA and not just the clowns running the club . Moore restored my pride in my club and was treated diabolically. So many on here constantly deriding him and look where we are now, no further forward, in fact probably two steps back. Whoever gets the job will be hounded by the know-alls so will have no chance to build.
Our last shred of integrity disappeared when we sacked a club legend whilst sitting 4th in the hardest league in Europe. No wonder we finding it hard to recruit when their job is to do better than Moore with less money and the same rubbish squad.

Agree with you totally. They're the most indecisive bunch of idiots going.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2019, 04:14:51 PM »
I will never be fed up of the Albion, it's a lifelong love affair, but i get peeved with the people running us.
Owners and players come and go, us the fans are the club.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2019, 04:33:07 PM »
I will never be fed up of the Albion, it's a lifelong love affair, but i get peeved with the people running us.

Bang on the money. The people who run the club are only interested in money not the fans!

Norfolk Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2019, 04:49:45 PM »
I hope to be proved hopelessly wrong, but it is not clear why Mr Lai purchased WBA in the first place.  Peace had maximised the value, growing the club in value over his tenure (albeit on a very conservative basis).  Mr Lai therefore is not able to drive the same return from the asset, he has no natural connection to the club, and  for him it has limited value as a vanity asset.  So where does this leave us? Most likely outcome is that we will drift for quite some time in the middle of the championship with limited resources with no great investment and equally no great fall.  This will change only  if the ownership changes.  It is also possible that the owner will look to pull cash out of the club via other means.  For example selling players and paying sizeable dividends as a way of recouping some of the losses incurred (and in   more useable currencies than some of his other assets).  This could prove to be catastrophic and could leave us in the same state as  Coventry or Blackpool. Alternatively, we could learn to become a well run club again and make the premiership at the second time of asking. 

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2019, 04:57:48 PM »
I only support Albion two days a week "Today" & "Tomorrow" 

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2019, 05:03:45 PM »
Why? We spent more under Lai then we ever did under Peace in a window. Our problem has not been lack of spending, it's been lack of spending wisely.

I was trying to make this point but you've written it better than I did. For me we have wasted a lot of money and have failed to spend wisely.

I suppose it's unfair of me to compare us to another club, but look at Newcastle and Ashley. The man supports the club, is filthy rich and attends games. Yet how much does he put into transfer funds? Not enough for a club the size of Newcastle. Look at us. Lai doesn't support WBA or attend matches. Not even important ones. I guess I can't see him putting any money in even if we had gone up.

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2019, 05:07:06 PM »
Jeremy probably told Lai we are really a mid table championship club, but we have loyal fans who are happy if we go up every few years.

baggiemart

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2019, 05:12:08 PM »

I think sacking Moore was the correct decision even though it hurts to say that.  We were floundering with our performances especially against Ipswich.  I think the wrong decision was sacking him without having a replacement to step in.  Moore's downfall was due to Graeme Jones and his playing out from the back which is a tactic that will never work in this league.

The fans are rightly getting down because of all this indecision about the manager. We have waited longer enough. We need a decision this week  so fans can start looking forward.  Talk will then be about new potential signings coming in and our best players staying. We deserve that off the club . After all we did buy out season tickets early !!

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2019, 05:30:03 PM »
I'm peeved because there was always that 100-1 shot since the prem got going that a middle sized club could come along one year and just go on a fantastic run and upset the applecart, and it was Leicester who did it while we were being Pulised into submission.  Bah.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2019, 05:32:35 PM »
That's the problem though, it's a contradiction. It can only be the correct decision if there was a plan to move forward. As it was we sacked him but changed nowt and in my view it had no positive effect whatsoever. Pointless and clueless.

cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2019, 07:04:15 PM »
Tbh no, not at the moment. I look forward to games again and enjoyed last season.

I struggled to motivate myself under Pulis but we are still light years ahead of the 80s and 90s. Good academy, great training facilities, modern stadium and decent players.

Our owner is learning and doesn't want to make another mistake. He cannot invest due to Chinese rules - whether he would want to is a different matter.

I went to 30+ games last year and I thoroughly enjoy seeing games we go to, hoping to win, as opposed to expecting to lose.
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2019, 07:26:42 PM »
You stated that “many were deriding him”, well usually the masses are correct or at the very least have some sort of reasoning for their standpoint.
He was not and won’t be a club legend, I think to call him so is almost cursory to super bob, Astle ,bomber and co
May also be worth pointing out that if the club had treated Moore (1 home win in 4 months) it would be strange to hear him on the tv wish8ng all at wba the very best ...he could just stay quiet
The board couldn’t win, he was out of his depth but had the swell of support after half a dozen end of season games, if they didn’t appoint him they were stupid, racist and short sighted, if they did it was the cheap option that was always going to end in tears .
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2019, 07:39:15 PM »
Tbh I've been fed up since about 6 months into Pulis' reign, it's just getting more and more obvious that we'll never think outside the box or do anything remotely interesting whilst certain people are here and we keep recruiting the same type of outdated decision-makers. Every time we get rid of a John Williams, McDonut, Irvine, Garlick etc. we just appoint someone equally as rubbish. I dislike pretty much everything about the way club the club has been ran over the past few years and, if I was a neutral, I think West Brom would be one of my least-favorite clubs.

The current head coach farce is the latest in a long line, and I'm confident it will end as badly as it usually does.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2019, 08:04:29 PM »
No, the last 3 years have been a bit indifferent but that can't overshadow the last 10 years that have probably been the best decade since the late 70s. our time will come again and its the downturn that will make the upturn more enjoyable, top flight football isn't everything to me and can honestly say following Albion home and away under Ardiles and Megson was more enjoyable than anything the premiership offered.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2019, 08:19:01 PM »
My heart overrides my head when it comes to Albion
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2019, 10:23:17 PM »
Its one thing being fed up with modern day football , its another seeing our club appear to be falling to bits in front of our eyes under the current regime.
I've haven't felt this angry to the board since the Hale era / 90's , like a sucker I'll still keep going when I can.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.