Author Topic: 8 May 2023 Swansea City 3 Albion 2  (Read 21001 times)

Atomic

• WBA Coach

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #325 on: May 09, 2023, 12:57:15 PM »
I saw a statistic in Albion News that Swift has provided the third most assists in the division. Being able to spot and deliver a goal chance is a vital skill to have. Short cut back passes or through passes are more often than not the most effective passes rather  than just whacking it high into the box and hope for the best. It shows an awareness of players and tight spaces in and around the box. I'm not saying Swift is the finished article, but we've had plenty of midfielders who haven't had a clue. When Livermore and Molumby were our midfield there was virtually nothing creative from that area. Molumby is better than Swift at chasing and closing opposition players down, but we need extra quality to open up defences with the final pass which Swift brings.

Aye this is true enough.

It's all very well saying more attacking players will have more goals involvements but Grady hasn't, Grant hasn't, BTA hasn't, Dike hasn't.

I'm not talking about a five yard pass 70 yards from goal, I'm talking significant involvement that isn't actually an assist.

Assist stats are rubbish anyway. A player "A" can run 70 yards, beating four players (not in an Albion shirt obviously  ;)), pass the ball to player "B" who then taps the ball five yards sideways infront of an open goal to player "C" and player "B" gets the assist. It doesn't tell half the story.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #326 on: May 09, 2023, 02:29:41 PM »
Aye this is true enough.

It's all very well saying more attacking players will have more goals involvements but Grady hasn't, Grant hasn't, BTA hasn't, Dike hasn't.

I'm not talking about a five yard pass 70 yards from goal, I'm talking significant involvement that isn't actually an assist.

Assist stats are rubbish anyway. A player "A" can run 70 yards, beating four players (not in an Albion shirt obviously  ;)), pass the ball to player "B" who then taps the ball five yards sideways infront of an open goal to player "C" and player "B" gets the assist. It doesn't tell half the story.

Can you tip the scouting team off as to who player A,B, and C are? Carlos can get them in for next season.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #327 on: May 09, 2023, 02:51:12 PM »
A lot of our players will be involved if you're just going to count a pass that led to a pass that led to an assist.  He's got to be involved seeing as the other two midfielders are defensive and Wallace is involved much more often.

For me, he's average going forward and below average when it comes to defending.  For someone who is meant to be pulling the strings in midfield and dictating play he doesn't really do that.  If you're not going to defend, then you have to be offer something extra when going forward.  When has he ever controlled a game for us?

Agreed. He's nowhere near a Koumas for example. Despite the stats I've been disappointed with him overall. If we got a decent bid for him I'd be happy to see him go personally. You either need grafters or real quality and he has neither IMO.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #328 on: May 09, 2023, 04:15:47 PM »
Agreed. He's nowhere near a Koumas for example. Despite the stats I've been disappointed with him overall. If we got a decent bid for him I'd be happy to see him go personally. You either need grafters or real quality and he has neither IMO.

I think Swift has done ok, was hoping a bit more from him. The problem is I doubt it very much we get anyone better than him, and i dont see a Premiership team taking him either.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #329 on: May 09, 2023, 04:35:16 PM »
John Swift is everything the Reading fans said he is. Wildly inconsistent.

When he's good he's great but when he's not on it then he might as well not bother.

Managed 6 goals and 9 assists in total i believe.

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #330 on: May 09, 2023, 04:43:05 PM »
I am surprised that the Swansea winner wasn’t disallowed. The defender at the end of the wall was blatantly hauled out of the way by a Swansea player allowing Pirloe a clear path to goal. VAR would definitely have ruled it out.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #331 on: May 09, 2023, 05:02:01 PM »
I saw a statistic in Albion News that Swift has provided the third most assists in the division. Being able to spot and deliver a goal chance is a vital skill to have. Short cut back passes or through passes are more often than not the most effective passes rather  than just whacking it high into the box and hope for the best. It shows an awareness of players and tight spaces in and around the box. I'm not saying Swift is the finished article, but we've had plenty of midfielders who haven't had a clue. When Livermore and Molumby were our midfield there was virtually nothing creative from that area. Molumby is better than Swift at chasing and closing opposition players down, but we need extra quality to open up defences with the final pass which Swift brings. 

Joint 7th for assists, but those above him are tied either on 11 or 10 - Swift has 9.

Clarke - 11
Hamer - 11
Giles - 11
Ndiaye - 11
Gyokeres - 10
Manning - 10
Chair - 9
Swift - 9
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

OhBilics

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #332 on: May 09, 2023, 06:44:35 PM »
"B" does still need to be in position and to make that final pass though.
#BOGOLO

PHP developer for hire. Apply within.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #333 on: May 10, 2023, 09:01:37 AM »
John Swift is everything the Reading fans said he is. Wildly inconsistent.

When he's good he's great but when he's not on it then he might as well not bother.

Managed 6 goals and 9 assists in total i believe.

I have no way of proving this but I'd suggest even John Swift's disappointed with his numbers this season. And if he is then I agree with him. Before anyone suggests there's more to his game than goals and assists I am aware of that. I'm also aware he really should have slotted that chance at 2 v 2; and I bet he is too.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #334 on: May 10, 2023, 09:08:48 AM »
I have no way of proving this but I'd suggest even John Swift's disappointed with his numbers this season. And if he is then I agree with him. Before anyone suggests there's more to his game than goals and assists I am aware of that. I'm also aware he really should have slotted that chance at 2 v 2; and I bet he is too.

I think he would be quietly disappointed too. Let's hope for a better season next time around. (We say this every year here in general tbf)

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #335 on: May 10, 2023, 01:43:07 PM »
Joint 7th for assists, but those above him are tied either on 11 or 10 - Swift has 9.

Clarke - 11
Hamer - 11
Giles - 11
Ndiaye - 11
Gyokeres - 10
Manning - 10
Chair - 9
Swift - 9
OK, I got Swift's Assist stats from the Sunderland match programme, so they might have changed since. Not forgetting he made the assist for Yokuslu's goal on Monday.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #336 on: May 10, 2023, 01:54:19 PM »

I only half agree with you here. As you say, a long dribble or a deep through pass can be crucial, but its that final pass or flick to set up the potential goalscorer, which can change the score.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure