Author Topic: Erik Pieters  (Read 17973 times)

Atomic

• WBA Coach

Re: Erik Pieters
« Reply #75 on: March 10, 2023, 08:18:36 AM »
I think Pieters has been superb considering he's 34 and playing not of position. Not just played out of position for a game or two but for a prolonged spell. The cracks usually start to appear before long but Pieters has continued to perform well ........ at home anyway. We collectively haven't got it right on our travels.

graka

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #76 on: March 10, 2023, 10:22:50 AM »
I think individually Pieters and o shea have done ok. Both comfortable on the ball however I feel we are missing a dominant presence in both boxes.
Bartley found form before the injury but has we all know is prone to shockers, Ajayi has come nowhere near any sort of form.
We also have Taylor and Kipre returning next season so will Pieters be given another year when we have a plethora of cover and other areas need strengthening?

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #77 on: March 10, 2023, 10:40:11 AM »
I disagree with all the comments about him being played out of position. Centre half IS his position now - he just doesn't have the pace to play full back any more. As to whether we give him another year at the end of the season, I certainly wouldn't write off the possibility because he's earned it on his performances so far, but a lot can happen in the next few months. He may not want another year, he may get injured, his form might take a downturn, who knows? It's one of those where I doubt a decision will be made until May.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #78 on: March 10, 2023, 01:15:57 PM »
I disagree with all the comments about him being played out of position. Centre half IS his position now - he just doesn't have the pace to play full back any more. As to whether we give him another year at the end of the season, I certainly wouldn't write off the possibility because he's earned it on his performances so far, but a lot can happen in the next few months. He may not want another year, he may get injured, his form might take a downturn, who knows? It's one of those where I doubt a decision will be made until May.

Agreed. It would be crazy to make a decision on the future on anyone in the squad until the summer.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #79 on: March 11, 2023, 07:43:45 PM »
Back on subject…. Another excellent display from Pieters. He rarely has a bad game and is actually a footballer.

bradleysrocket

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #80 on: March 11, 2023, 08:08:31 PM »
I think for all the fanfare (or lack of) that surrounded his signing he’s performed may above my expectations. Seems to be a good influence on Dara too.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #81 on: March 11, 2023, 09:13:55 PM »
I think for all the fanfare (or lack of) that surrounded his signing he’s performed may above my expectations. Seems to be a good influence on Dara too.

Spot on. His leadership is underrated. One particular attribute I think Dara deserves credit for apart him putting his body on the line is his composure playing the ball out from the back. Corberan shape & tactics have played a big part but you have to give the whole team credit.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #82 on: May 15, 2023, 03:14:48 PM »
While I'm totally against signing players with no value or over 30 I think given our finance and desperate need in other areas I'd offer Pieters another 12 months on a basic deal .
Covers CB / LB / LWB and seems very fit for his age , be interesting to see what happens with him.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

graka

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #83 on: May 15, 2023, 03:38:26 PM »
While I'm totally against signing players with no value or over 30 I think given our finance and desperate need in other areas I'd offer Pieters another 12 months on a basic deal .
Covers CB / LB / LWB and seems very fit for his age , be interesting to see what happens with him.
Overall he has had a reasonable season but his legs have gone, backs off too much and struggled towards the end
Whilst I can’t stand Bartley or rate him,he has another season
Couple that with the fact we have o shea,semi,kipre and Taylor I would release him to use the funds elsewhere

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #84 on: May 15, 2023, 04:46:01 PM »
Overall he has had a reasonable season but his legs have gone, backs off too much and struggled towards the end
Whilst I can’t stand Bartley or rate him,he has another season
Couple that with the fact we have o shea,semi,kipre and Taylor I would release him to use the funds elsewhere
Wouldnt say he backs off as much as Furlong but I take your other points , I guess it comes down to money .
If it meant funds for a much needed forward I'd do it.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #85 on: May 15, 2023, 05:15:17 PM »
He's been ok but i would not offer him another contract.

We have 2 CB's coming back. He can be released, thanks for your efforts but a break is needed.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #86 on: May 15, 2023, 05:35:09 PM »
He can't help his height or his age and playing through injury at the end of the season must have taken quite a bit out him, it certainly detracted from his previous performance levels in my opinion. That said he did well for us on the whole.

My only real gripe is probably the amount of times he passed back when forward options were on slowing our momentum. Given how many times it happened he may have been playing to instructions but it was a concern to me at times.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #87 on: May 15, 2023, 07:46:32 PM »
Backing off = Not diving in and getting beaten (cf TGH) = jockeying the opponent and not letting him cut inside and shoot?
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #88 on: May 15, 2023, 10:20:17 PM »
I would only keep Pieters if DOS is sold, we need to strengthen over areas far more than those where DO provided cover. Pay for play or 1 yr deal
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #89 on: May 15, 2023, 10:33:12 PM »
Id keep him for another season. He can cover two positions, left back and centre back and he's a left footer.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #90 on: May 16, 2023, 07:58:09 AM »
Backing off = Not diving in and getting beaten (cf TGH) = jockeying the opponent and not letting him cut inside and shoot?

That's what Grant and Townsend did between them against Sunderland (I think) only they forgot about the underlined bit.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #91 on: May 16, 2023, 08:43:14 AM »
That's what Grant and Townsend did between them against Sunderland (I think) only they forgot about the underlined bit.

He didn't cut inside, Gooch crossed the ball between the two of them didn't he? Or am I thinking of a different match and a different goal?

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #92 on: May 16, 2023, 09:20:40 AM »
He didn't cut inside, Gooch crossed the ball between the two of them didn't he? Or am I thinking of a different match and a different goal?

Grant dropped off and jockey'd him, Townsend took too long to get there and he got the ball between them. He still had to angle himself and they were both;) ) at fault.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #93 on: May 16, 2023, 10:30:04 AM »
Should we keep a 35 year old whose legs have mostly gone for another season? This would be exactly the sort of decision most of us have been complaining about (ie unimaginative, lazy, signing too many that are overage, and showing too much loyalty to existing players). It's 100% a no from me.

Baggiee_Boyy_Benn

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #94 on: May 16, 2023, 10:47:49 AM »
Done okay this season, but we need to let him go.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #95 on: May 16, 2023, 10:49:51 AM »
Should we keep a 35 year old whose legs have mostly gone for another season? This would be exactly the sort of decision most of us have been complaining about (ie unimaginative, lazy, signing too many that are overage, and showing too much loyalty to existing players). It's 100% a no from me.

Let him go so long as we don't replace him with a 37 year old who's legs have gone, We have history in this field
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #96 on: May 16, 2023, 11:37:06 AM »

Whilst I don't mean to take the thread off track, given your (our general forum) concerns over recruitment Auston Trusty could be worth a shout at left centre back.

24, left footed and 6ft 3in. Just finished his first season on loan from Arsenal in the Championship with Blues and linked in the papers with a £2M move to Rangers.

I know the fee seems beyond our current financial resources but that's the rumoured fee. Deals 'can' be done. We don't always need to go with what's familiar.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #97 on: May 16, 2023, 07:34:08 PM »
I wouldn't be adverse to him staying on very reduced post pp terms and heavily based on him playing and only getting a very small basic wage.

If CC thinks he is worth it then the terms have to be affordable not a 2 year Kelly contract and no option in his favour.

Just because he is older doesn't mean he is finished.

Obviously, CC's opinion of CT and CK will influence what happens to EP.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #98 on: May 16, 2023, 08:57:05 PM »
I really hope that Pieters is released along with the rest of the out of contract players. He’s done reasonably well this season but keeping hold of players like this is why we find ourselves in this position. We should be looking to younger players with Kipre and Taylor returning.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #99 on: May 16, 2023, 11:17:55 PM »
I’m torn on this one.

He did really well this year, missed very few games, had an excellent partnership with Dara throughout our best spell of the season, and proved an excellent signing.

But his age does work against him and it’s inevitable that his legs will go at some point soon.  No sign of it yet but it can happen very quickly.

I wouldn’t be horrified if we gave him another year, but at the same time I’d rather replace him with a much younger player - if that younger player is good enough.