0 (0%)
Adam Reach
0 (0%)
Jayson Molumby
0 (0%)
Grady Diangana
1 (5%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: 2 Jan 2022 Albion 1 Cardiff City 1  (Read 26099 times)

Tony Goddens Gloves

• Youth Baggie

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #300 on: January 02, 2022, 05:57:49 PM »
Don’t disagree with the set up of the team but the issues all started with Peace selling to the Chinese been on a downward slope since then

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #301 on: January 02, 2022, 06:01:20 PM »
Just watching two superb teams Chelsea and Liverpool and thought it’s just as well that we are not competing at this level. We would be absolutely slaughtered every week because we’d never have the funds to buy the 7 or 8 players we would need to compete in the Premier League.

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #302 on: January 02, 2022, 06:02:34 PM »
Penalty is a shocker, just blatantly pulls Townsend back. So strange from the defender as Townsend is going away from goal.
I hope Dike is Ronaldo, Pele, Messi and Maradona rolled into one...we are just not very good. Or he is sat there thinking "what have I done?" They are rubbish and I left Orlando for this  :D
Oh and Slav, Klopp, Ferguson etc. have all run on the pitch and remonstrated with the ref (Klopp does it all the time and he's not bad).

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #303 on: January 02, 2022, 06:07:49 PM »
Disappointing afternoon again. Not helped by truly awful officials.

Cardiff were big, organised and physical and to beat teams like that you have to use the width and move the ball quickly  we can't afford our players taking 3 or 4 seconds on the ball all the time. That's what happened first half.

Second half was a bit better but still pretty uninspiring.

I was right by the Mowatt incident and was amazed when the ref gave a red.

The penalty was absolutely stonewall, a referee shouldn't need VAR to see that. Shocking, bottleless decision.

Our goal looked offside. Just summed up the officiating.

Dike had better be some striker because he needs to be.

TGH his worst performance in an Albion shirt. Fellows had little impact. Johnstone, Bartley both tried to give the game away. Diangana spent more time on his backside than his feet.

Poor!

ttree30

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #304 on: January 02, 2022, 06:27:33 PM »
Just watching two superb teams Chelsea and Liverpool and thought it’s just as well that we are not competing at this level. We would be absolutely slaughtered every week because we’d never have the funds to buy the 7 or 8 players we would need to compete in the Premier League.

We have certainly slipped a very long way in the past five years or so. We have nowhere near the quality of player we had then. I know people will make a case for perhaps Johnstone and Townsend, but I cant see a single position where there’s been anything other than a significant downgrade.

So not surprisingly we are not as successful a team as we used to be, and that will remain the case unless we are somehow able to recruit better players.

Which doesn’t seem too likely at the moment.

It’s tough to admit the reality because we all want a winning team we can enjoy watching, but any club replacing better players with inferior ones is only going one way.

BaggieBoy04

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #305 on: January 02, 2022, 07:58:18 PM »
Awful ay even going to get involved in Val in or Out it's rips the fantasy apart.

Referee was trying to be Bobo The Clown Blatant Penalty, The Scenes at the end weren't good, but understandable. Apparently it kicked off between the fans to, Cardiff were apparently being racist, and then something after the game during the handbags to. I had a mate there he said he was told it was due Cardiff Fans being racist but he and his family didn't stick around as in his words it felt like It was going to get Ugly. All in all a bloody brilliant start to my 18th Albion drawing nothing new there.
Albion Pride Of The Black Country

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

Re: match officials
« Reply #306 on: January 02, 2022, 08:24:56 PM »
Cardiff were sh1thousing from the fist minute and he constantly fell for their shenanigans and play acting
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #307 on: January 02, 2022, 09:03:16 PM »
What was going on in the East/Rainbow stand at the end there? Fighting amongst ourselves?
Cardiff openly giving it racist chants/songs
Spent the game waiting for a football match to break out to discuss here but alas it wasn't to be
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #308 on: January 02, 2022, 09:10:32 PM »
I couldn't get to the game today, but I watched it on Sky Red Button.

At the time, I couldn't really understand the Mowatt sending off.

I've now watched it about 6 times on the video highlights & still don't get it, doesn't look dangerous.

Could somebody explain please.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #309 on: January 02, 2022, 09:12:39 PM »

I've now watched it about 6 times on the video highlights & still don't get it, doesn't look dangerous.

I think it's going in with his studs up. More or less automatic red.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #310 on: January 02, 2022, 09:14:23 PM »

Just watched it back on Quest. Its a yellow card, it's not a red. In fact Mowatt shouldve had a free kick first.

Johnstone and Flint also both yellows, no hands raised that I could see.

Our goal clearly offside.

Penalty cast iron certainty.

Ref was abysmal.

Johnstone shouldve saved their goal.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #311 on: January 02, 2022, 09:15:57 PM »
Johnstone shouldve saved their goal.

Watching it live I thought that he could definitely had done better.  The ball hardly had enough power to reach the back of the net - Sam just doesn't get any distance on his dives.  His feet end up in the same place as they started - he doesn't get any horizontal distance.

baggies_24

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #312 on: January 02, 2022, 09:17:23 PM »
1st half was utter tripe, 2nd better. I thought Cardiff were one of the better teams we’ve played at home this year they played some good stuff & committed men forwards which is more than can be said about Boro, Forrest etc. they bizarrely went defensive as soon as we went down to 10.

Again we’ve created the better chances & should have won the game, the quality of our crossing, final ball & decision making really is bloody awful, Robbo had Grady in acres of space down the left had he played him in would have been a 1 on 1 but made the wrong decision. Brainless from Mowatt really stupid tackle that he didn’t need to make. Thought Livermore was superb 2nd half & was brilliant when we went down to 10 really stood up, won pretty much every 50/50.

Less said about the ref the better had an absolute mare, don’t forget the penalty he didn’t give Diangana also, got every big decision wrong including our goal which looked miles off. I don’t mind the passion from Val but it needs to be done in a controlled manner, rightly so our disciplinary record needs to be bought into question & he’s not done himself any favours the way he steamed onto the pitch & subsequent mele that stemmed from it. Love the passion but needs to channel it, shake hands with the opposite manager, let the players cool off do all the handshake thing then remonstrance with the ref not steam straight onto the pitch the minute the whistle goes.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #313 on: January 02, 2022, 09:25:37 PM »
I think it's going in with his studs up. More or less automatic red.

His left leg was extended, he played the ball with his right foot which was tucked in.

I don't think he had studs up.

The Cardiff player nearly kicked him in the tabs.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #314 on: January 02, 2022, 09:28:34 PM »
His left leg was extended, he played the ball with his right foot which was tucked in.

Mowatt's just mistimed his challenge slightly. Its not two footed, it's not out of control. If that's a red we all might as well give up.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #315 on: January 02, 2022, 09:31:40 PM »
Here’s a short clip of the Mowatt tackle

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x7bbvfqlhWI
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #316 on: January 02, 2022, 09:39:07 PM »

It’s not the worst tackle you’ll ever see and I do think you’d get away with that quite a lot. Howeveryou can see why it’s been given. If a Cardiff player had done that, you’d not see many defending the challenge. It was a stupid tackle from Mowatt in the circumstances.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #317 on: January 02, 2022, 09:42:28 PM »
Well over xmas against 3 sides at bottom of league we have taken 2 points and scored 2 goals. 6 goals in 10 games. 14 points out the last 30 available 3 wins 5 draws. Its all gone a little pete tong.

I understand calls for the managers head however i am against it due to the fact we keep chopping and changing and we are getting worse and worse on the downward spiral. Most of the players arent good enough. We were dragged up on billic momentum honeymoon and a talented Brazilian. We werent good enough the last time in reality. And this time we have regressed.

Anyway to the game itself. I thought fellows looked like a young kid and the game passed him by. He needs a loan to league 2 for half a season. Johnstone on another planet; let across sail 6 inches past his shins at near post was horrific, his underhit pass to bartley that almost cost us. Not to mention some pretty naff kicking. Getting sent off at end means hes out for 3 games wont be injured and maybe gets his move.

All 3 of the back 3 made cock ups today which against better sides we would have been punished. Townsend did ok but his crossing was well off. One decent cross nobody got on end of. Mowatt stupid tackle had been alright nothing spectacular. TGH did ok but still raw and unifished but big for him being in team shows furlong hes not untouchable.

Thought Livermore despite giving the ball away and doing alot of fouls didnt hide and was probably the pick of our midfield which is pretty damning.

Robinson and grant were busy and looked like the only way we were ever going to score. I usually think granty hides in games but he was everywhere today and my man of match.

Robinson unfortunate to be hooked but he was never taking grady off having only been on 5 minutes. Sending off killed momentum.

Hopefully DD coming in will help further paper over cracks. However again we had nobody in the middle. We have about 3 on each wing overlapping which is why we are very good at getting crosses in, but nobody ever there to meet it.
O Albion we love you

Bilston Dan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #318 on: January 02, 2022, 09:42:36 PM »

That's never a red! Soft isn't the word.
"I don't get hangovers, I just feel sick and have a headache"

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #319 on: January 02, 2022, 09:48:40 PM »
Well over xmas against 3 sides at bottom of league we have taken 2 points and scored 2 goals. 6 goals in 10 games. 14 points out the last 30 available 3 wins 5 draws. Its all gone a little pete tong.

I understand calls for the managers head however i am against it due to the fact we keep chopping and changing and we are getting worse and worse on the downward spiral. Most of the players arent good enough. We were dragged up on billic momentum honeymoon and a talented Brazilian. We werent good enough the last time in reality. And this time we have regressed.

Anyway to the game itself. I thought fellows looked like a young kid and the game passed him by. He needs a loan to league 2 for half a season. Johnstone on another planet; let across sail 6 inches past his shins at near post was horrific, his underhit pass to bartley that almost cost us. Not to mention some pretty naff kicking. Getting sent off at end means hes out for 3 games wont be injured and maybe gets his move.

All 3 of the back 3 made cock ups today which against better sides we would have been punished. Townsend did ok but his crossing was well off. One decent cross nobody got on end of. Mowatt stupid tackle had been alright nothing spectacular. TGH did ok but still raw and unifished but big for him being in team shows furlong hes not untouchable.

Thought Livermore despite giving the ball away and doing alot of fouls didnt hide and was probably the pick of our midfield which is pretty damning.

Robinson and grant were busy and looked like the only way we were ever going to score. I usually think granty hides in games but he was everywhere today and my man of match.

Robinson unfortunate to be hooked but he was never taking grady off having only been on 5 minutes. Sending off killed momentum.

Hopefully DD coming in will help further paper over cracks. However again we had nobody in the middle. We have about 3 on each wing overlapping which is why we are very good at getting crosses in, but nobody ever there to meet it.

Allegedly it's 2 games for dissent, & both clubs might appeal. Cardiff manager said they would.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #320 on: January 02, 2022, 10:03:35 PM »
It’s not the worst tackle you’ll ever see and I do think you’d get away with that quite a lot. Howeveryou can see why it’s been given. If a Cardiff player had done that, you’d not see many defending the challenge. It was a stupid tackle from Mowatt in the circumstances.

I'd be wanting a red for that if it was a Cardiff player.  Watch Mowatt's right foot - he doesn't make any contact with the ball, is studs up and makes contact squarely on the player's shin.  All born out of frustration at not getting the free kick he should have.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #321 on: January 02, 2022, 10:08:42 PM »

Are we talking about the same tackle?  The Cardiff player kicks it out for a throw and Mowatt studs him on his shins.

https://imgur.com/a/esxEsyH

Don't get me wrong, the still makes it look like it's more 'violent' than it was, but Mowatt has gone to clear the ball out with force, missed and hit the player. 

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #322 on: January 02, 2022, 10:09:40 PM »

Allegedly it's 2 games for dissent, & both clubs might appeal. Cardiff manager said they would.

They should because there wasn't any punches thrown just a grabbing of the shirt.  I don't think the appeal would succeed - I can see the FA wanting to make an example of them.  I fully expect V to get a ban too.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #323 on: January 02, 2022, 10:11:06 PM »
If a Cardiff player made that tackle I'd be expecting a yellow card.

If the ref gives the foul on Mowatt in the first place it doesn't happen.

Ref made a complete mess of the game.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #324 on: January 02, 2022, 10:13:51 PM »
They should because there wasn't any punches thrown just a grabbing of the shirt.  I don't think the appeal would succeed - I can see the FA wanting to make an example of them.  I fully expect V to get a ban too.

I've seen just on social media it claimed Johnstone was sent off for foul and abusive language.