Author Topic: Footballers Collapsing on the Pitch  (Read 2787 times)

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

Footballers Collapsing on the Pitch
« on: November 25, 2021, 10:14:35 AM »
Whilst there are not vast numbers, there does appear to me to be an increase in the incidents of footballers collapsing on the pitch, John Fleck being the latest.

This needs investigating by the the footballing authorities as for elite athletes, who you would think are being constantly monitored health wise, to be subject to this type of incident, well it isn't normal I would suggest.

Players that have collapsed on the pitch

Christian Eriksen
Nnamdi Ofoborh
Sergio Aguerro
John Fleck
Marc-Vivien Foe
Iker Casillas
Miklos Feher
Antonio Puerta
Bruno Boban
Daniel Jarque
Davide Astori
Fabrice Muamba
Eri Irianto

« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 11:19:13 AM by AlbionFan »
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

BB74

• Senior Baggie

Re: Footballers Collapsing on the Pitch
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2021, 10:44:06 AM »
Here come the ant-vaxxers who will blame the vaccine.

Sergio Ageuro and Sherrif Tiraspol player Adama Traroe can be put on that list too.

It's not restricted to football, it is happening across the entire sporting spectrum.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 12:10:46 PM by BB74 »

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2021, 11:00:22 AM »
It's been happening forever, its just that social media means things can be reported quicker and gain more traction.

A lad who played at my cricket team collapsed at his school sports day and died, back in 2005-ish. Don't think it made the news, as tragic as it was.

Then recently a 15 year old died at a local club (West Bridgford Colts) and it's on the BBC website.

Just different times.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2021, 11:36:11 AM »
There was a quote on Twitter yesterday that there are over 100 footballers/coaches in the last six months who have collapsed. Cant find it now to share to check it authenticity.

We’ll amend the swear filter as for some reason John’s surname is abbreviating to *

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2021, 03:15:29 PM »
Make it another one and three within the week - Charlie Wyke has collapsed in training. Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2021, 03:19:25 PM »
Crazy really. Hopefully they do some thorough investigation into it. See if there is some correlation between recent developments or not.

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2021, 03:26:44 PM »
Crazy really. Hopefully they do some thorough investigation into it. See if there is some correlation between recent developments or not.
Isn’t the reason they wear those black bra tops to monitor stuff? Surely that must give some clue
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2021, 03:29:27 PM »
Isn’t the reason they wear those black bra tops to monitor stuff? Surely that must give some clue

You would think/hope so. A full investigation should be launched.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2021, 05:43:04 PM »
I think it's the case that fitness levels in football have gone through the roof in the last 3-4 years with triple sessions pre season under some coaches. It's also the age of pressing and wing backs bombing up and down the pitch. Footballers are generally much fitter these days but that seems to raise the danger of these sudden collapses.

I remember reading some time ago about a spate of sudden deaths in endurance athletes like triathletes.

Yes questions do need to be asked. Do players train too hard when they have some sort of ailment which then has some serious implications at a later date ? I doubt it would be a simple thing to uncover the reasons for these episodes especially when most top level players will have had heart screening.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2021, 06:37:53 PM »
I’ve been having tests because an irregularity was found with my heart during a routine test.

Im sure that has made me more aware of these stories, but even with that said, there does seem to be more of them and I’m not sure the availability of news is the answer.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2021, 09:38:11 PM »
My nephew collapsed whilst playing on the rugby field several years ago.
His name was Luke.
There were no facilities at all, he died aged 15.
Our family have been sending money to charities ever since.

Cardiaccarol

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2021, 11:18:16 PM »
Sadly this happens. Sorry to hear about Luke Liverbaggie.

I would recommend all of you with sporty kids / who are sporty to get themselves checked out. Cardiac risk in the young do routine screening days all over the country. It’s free and starts with non-invasive testing which can be escalated if an abnormality is found. Just look up your local event c-r-y.org.uk

Generally people in amateur sport are more at risk because of the lack of facilities. Support your local campaign for defibrillators and go and do a basic life support course. Hopefully you will never need it but that basic support is crucial in the first few minutes.

I’m not sure how professional sportsmen fall through these gaps. I’ve never understood how clubs who spend millions on their “assets “ and examine knees and hips in minute detail miss significant cardiac abnormalities.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2021, 06:28:25 PM »
Thank you Carol, most kind.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2021, 08:49:38 PM »
Another few incidents in the stands tonight. It really does seem to be happening far more often.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2021, 08:57:18 PM »
Is it happening more often, or  did games just continue regardless of medical emergencies in the stand prior to this year.
Boing Boing

smosher34

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2021, 11:40:25 PM »
Here come the ant-vaxxers who will blame the vaccine.

Sergio Ageuro and Sherrif Tiraspol player Adama Traroe can be put on that list too.

It's not restricted to football, it is happening across the entire sporting spectrum.
what would you blame then

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Dudleylad

• WBA Chairman

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2021, 08:57:20 AM »
I think it's the case that fitness levels in football have gone through the roof in the last 3-4 years with triple sessions pre season under some coaches. It's also the age of pressing and wing backs bombing up and down the pitch. Footballers are generally much fitter these days but that seems to raise the danger of these sudden collapses.

I fully agree with this, ive said for quite a while that my belief is the fitness levels and amount players are expected to play now with no real break causes as much pressure on the heart that being morbidly obese does.

People complain about how much many of these players earn but they are also treated as commodities by the clubs and authorities.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2021, 12:56:06 PM »
Collapses up over 500 percent over last few years. Doubtful any kind of investigation willl be launched of course.

bosh

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2021, 01:23:18 PM »
How many games stopped due to people needing medical help in the stands?  Used to be a rarity or was attention not called to it to the same degree?

BaggieBoy04

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2021, 03:27:28 PM »
I remember a report a few years ago that highlighted a Young lad who died of a Heart attack or something and his Parents were saying he was healthy and he had complained of Chest Pain once maybe and we got it checked it was fine, he was very active and played Football. Then when he was 19 or 20 or an older Teen he died suddenly due to a Heart problem whilst playing Football. The report said many athletes may have had this but known until like Augero for example they were in there 30's. Furthermore they said it was very rare but could occur in Healthy Kids. I can't remember fully why but I remember it as I was like the lad and still am Happy, Healthy and active probably not as Active as I was as I've matured and am busy. But this could be why so many conditions come up now. Also add Victor Lindelof to the list he got subbed due to Breathing issues. I also discussed with a teacher after Cyrille died because his death was of a Heart attack and Cheich Toite had not long died before Cyrille of Heart Problems we said why is it so many Footballers or in Cyrille's case ex Footballers why do they die young you think they be healthy. The idea we raised was maybe Cyrille was just a freak event, but when we mentioned Toite, Foe, Fabrice that maybe it was the stress there Heart had to go through in the modern Game, a fixture every other day due to Sky or Cup's and then Training plus running around it takes it toll. Things now after all these cancellations need to be looked at. Is it going to be good for the players hearts if they plan 2-3 games every week plus Training, Plus Covid, Plus Stress and anxiety. I have anxiety not diagnosed but when I get it My heart beats faster and then I get chest pain. Then when I calm down It dissapears
Albion Pride Of The Black Country

baggie53

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2021, 08:54:15 PM »
Didn't Terry Yorath's son (Gabby's brother) die suddenly of an undetected heart condition while playing some form of sport a good few years ago
Vorwärts die Breiten Hosen !

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2021, 09:09:06 PM »
Didn't Terry Yorath's son (Gabby's brother) die suddenly of an undetected heart condition while playing some form of sport a good few years ago
Yes but I'm pretty sure he was just having a kick about in the garden when he collapsed.