Author Topic: Slaven Bilic  (Read 676482 times)

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

Re: Slaven Bilic
« Reply #1525 on: August 19, 2020, 03:40:31 PM »

Alternatively we could just accept the fact that your top League 1 strikers are being touted around at £10 million and top Championship/decent Euro league strikers are being touted around at £20 million

Of course they are, Championship & League 1 clubs have had no revenue since March, the one way they might stop in business is to sell their best players.

Doesn't mean to say anyone's going to pay that money though.

I believe most buying clubs are playing a brinkmanship game, & we'll see most of the business done in the final week of the transfer window.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1526 on: August 19, 2020, 07:27:33 PM »

Of course they are, Championship & League 1 clubs have had no revenue since March, the one way they might stop in business is to sell their best players.

Doesn't mean to say anyone's going to pay that money though.

I believe most buying clubs are playing a brinkmanship game, & we'll see most of the business done in the final week of the transfer window.

I agree regarding the size of fees, guess the point I was making is that wherever the going rate ends up that's what we need to pay to get a decent striker. 

baggiemart

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1527 on: August 19, 2020, 07:46:04 PM »
If we're skint now, what will change for us to be able to compete in the Prem?  (In, not 'for', lol).  We've made steps to bring young players through and they get poached away by the bigger clubs.  We could keep trying to find Periera's and selling them on - but that gets us nowhere.

Like it or not, our board need to step up and sanction some signings else we'll end up back to square 1.  If we can't afford top championship quality players where does that leave us?

To me, it's small club mentality to think we're just 'lil old Albion, not got a pot to pee in".  We've had the club tell us how important promotion is, the media tell us how much it's worth, to suddenly find ourselves no better off financially than the end of last season seems crazy.

I seem to be getting the impression from the club that getting promotion was just a financial achievement to get money into the club or should I say the owners back pocket !!

I don't think the club ever had any intention of trying to compete in the premier league are are expecting to be relegated. They will then have the premiership money from this season and 2 seasons of parachute payments and they wouldn't have had to pay out big money on transfers. My point can be proven by the lack of activity in the transfer market.

The end of last season it was so evident that we were lacking strikers. in fact is was so bad it was embarrassing.  If I was at the club that would have been number 1 priority and I would have at least got one half decent striker in by now.

If this is the case I don't think Bilic will put up with that attitude for long !

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1528 on: August 19, 2020, 07:55:12 PM »
I seem to be getting the impression from the club that getting promotion was just a financial achievement to get money into the club or should I say the owners back pocket !!

I don't think the club ever had any intention of trying to compete in the premier league are are expecting to be relegated. They will then have the premiership money from this season and 2 seasons of parachute payments and they wouldn't have had to pay out big money on transfers. My point can be proven by the lack of activity in the transfer market.

The end of last season it was so evident that we were lacking strikers. in fact is was so bad it was embarrassing.  If I was at the club that would have been number 1 priority and I would have at least got one half decent striker in by now.

If this is the case I don't think Bilic will put up with that attitude for long !
This is spot on. We have to prioritise a goalscoring striker. That means if there are limited funds, forget about bringing in a centre back. Unless we want to end up with a slight upgrade on Zohore, who apparently cost £8 million.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1529 on: August 20, 2020, 06:26:04 PM »
Good job that he is back here now. Croatia has been added to the quaranteen list.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1532 on: August 21, 2020, 08:50:25 AM »
If every time the media reported that manger x is frustrated by lack of transfer activity at club y and they walked out they would be going at a rate of 2 a week. They don't it is standard transfer window narrative. Rogers, Moyes, Smith, Bruce and all the poor sods in the Championship except a couple are probably frustrated are they going to walk? No they are not. Is Bilic? Probably not.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1533 on: August 21, 2020, 08:58:05 AM »
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8648859/amp/Frustrated-West-Brom-manager-Slaven-Bilic-wants-signings-ahead-new-Premier-League-season.html?__twitter_impression=true

Anyone think he might walk ?

Not now. But if we start badly, don't get any reinforcements, and aren't looking like doing anything in January he might.

I don't think he's a man who suffers fools gladly, and that is not a characteristic that goes well with our place.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1534 on: August 21, 2020, 09:03:14 AM »
If every time the media reported that manger x is frustrated by lack of transfer activity at club y and they walked out they would be going at a rate of 2 a week. They don't it is standard transfer window narrative. Rogers, Moyes, Smith, Bruce and all the poor sods in the Championship except a couple are probably frustrated are they going to walk? No they are not. Is Bilic? Probably not.

it is worth noting that SB doesn't need our money as he got a mega payout from the Saudi's, I would think (based on nothing) that he is a man who puts a lot of store in loyalty though. 
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1535 on: August 21, 2020, 09:06:50 AM »

Exactly this.
Most of the managers we've ever had is supposed to be considering his position when we drag our feet making signings.
Discounting Roy who left for the England job, the last manager to walk out on us was Mowbray.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1536 on: August 21, 2020, 09:09:06 AM »
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1537 on: August 21, 2020, 09:21:32 AM »
Good job that he is back here now. Croatia has been added to the quaranteen list.
Which will make it more difficult to bring in any signings he may have identified!
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

we8seals

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1538 on: August 21, 2020, 09:43:43 AM »

So you would have got at least one decent striker in by now would you! Is this using your magic wand or rubbing your magic lamp. This is not football manager!

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1539 on: August 21, 2020, 09:56:54 AM »
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8648859/amp/Frustrated-West-Brom-manager-Slaven-Bilic-wants-signings-ahead-new-Premier-League-season.html?__twitter_impression=true

Anyone think he might walk ?
Nothing in that article to suggest so. In fact there is just nothing in the article at all really, you could spend 5 minutes on this forum and pick up all the information stated. Lazy journalism at it's worst.
This year's budget will be no shock whatsoever to Slaven and, IMO, the only way he goes anywhere is if we have a terrible start, and we part company or, we have a great start and he gets a better offer.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1540 on: August 21, 2020, 10:13:11 AM »
Ridiculous we haven't already secured Krovinovic.  Slaven wants him as a high priority signing, £8m is a steal.  We paid £15m for Burke, £11m for Livermore, £8m for Zohore.  What are we hanging around for?  Unless the board pull their finger out, I think there's serious threat of Bilic walking out during mid Winter.

Krov should be signed then we need a striker ASAP.

cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1541 on: August 21, 2020, 10:43:23 AM »
Livermore was £11m?  :o

Said weeks ago, we would see in the transfer window the reason why Jenkins retired.

If we buy cheaply or noone, Jenkins left in order for the blame to be placed squarely at the owner's door.

I cannot see Slav going, think he has a genuine bond. He just went sign a new contract. Number one priority should be a three year deal with Slav. I wouldnt leave it until after the window, as he might be utterly drunk off.
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son

baggiemart

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1542 on: August 21, 2020, 11:35:13 AM »
So you would have got at least one decent striker in by now would you! Is this using your magic wand or rubbing your magic lamp. This is not football manager!

There are plenty of championship strikers around to have took a punt on. 

Listen to these hard facts, HRK, Austin and Zohore  will not score goals in the premier league. No goals means certain relegation.

Someone we could have took a punt on, Callum Morton is going out on loan again.

If Slav doesn't get the funds to buy a striker I can see him walking. Nothing worse in trying to do a job without the support from the powers above .

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1543 on: August 21, 2020, 11:54:14 AM »
We won't stay up without a proper first choice stiker and preferably a second for competition.

Simple as that. 

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1544 on: August 21, 2020, 05:37:31 PM »
If he walks he walks....there will always B32, managers that want our job and the world will carry on.
I quite like him, I don’t get carried away with the hype and I also wouldn’t want any manager trying to hold 5he club over a transfer fund barrel.
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1545 on: August 21, 2020, 06:15:02 PM »
Slaven knew exactly what he was signing up for and recently praised the board for their handling of the club.

Additionally, he doesn't appear to me, to be the type of individual who would sanction journalists to do his talking for him. If he has something to say the board and the fans will be the first to know with an open letter or a statement from the club, in my opinion.

Jurno's sniff and sometimes its not roses they want to tell us about, but the material that makes them grow, ask any horse!
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1546 on: August 21, 2020, 06:29:58 PM »
Ridiculous we haven't already secured Krovinovic.  Slaven wants him as a high priority signing, £8m is a steal.  We paid £15m for Burke, £11m for Livermore, £8m for Zohore.  What are we hanging around for?  Unless the board pull their finger out, I think there's serious threat of Bilic walking out during mid Winter.

Krov should be signed then we need a striker ASAP.

Two of the worst transfers in our history (Zohore and Burke) do not make Krovinovic a steel. Krovinovic did not make a position his own in one of the best sides in a lower division. The fact a Bilic is so set on him is a concern. If he insists we blow £8m of a limited budget on him it’s even more concerning.

Krovinovic on loan with an option to buy (or obligation only if he makes so many So  many appearances) is the only sensible way to secure him if they want more than £5m.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1547 on: August 21, 2020, 06:37:35 PM »
Livermore was £11m?  :o

Said weeks ago, we would see in the transfer window the reason why Jenkins retired.

If we buy cheaply or noone, Jenkins left in order for the blame to be placed squarely at the owner's door.

I cannot see Slav going, think he has a genuine bond. He just went sign a new contract. Number one priority should be a three year deal with Slav. I wouldnt leave it until after the window, as he might be utterly **** off.

Don't forget it was Pulis who signed him, and you know what his maths are like  ;)
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1548 on: August 21, 2020, 07:19:08 PM »
I’d disagree there are even plenty to punt on.

Look at last seasons championship top scorers
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/championship/top-scorers

Watkins - looks like we can’t afford him
Grabban - his ships sailed
Grant - Yes (should have been in two years ago)
Wells - another who’s time has gone / not good enough

Obviously not going to do them all, but you get into punt territory with Armstrong, Puscas and Woodrow, the last of which would probably at least represent good value if you can get him for a few mill. Not really an out and out striker.

Get in to league two and it’s even slimmer.

That’s hardly an abundance of strikers to even ‘punt’ on.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 08:46:22 PM by MarkW »

PartisanBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1549 on: August 21, 2020, 07:58:31 PM »
Two of the worst transfers in our history (Zohore and Burke) do not make Krovinovic a steel. Krovinovic did not make a position his own in one of the best sides in a lower division. The fact a Bilic is so set on him is a concern. If he insists we blow £8m of a limited budget on him it’s even more concerning.

Krovinovic on loan with an option to buy (or obligation only if he makes so many So  many appearances) is the only sensible way to secure him if they want more than £5m.

I don’t really understand all this love Krovinovic gets?! I found him underwhelming when he did play.

The £8million must go towards a better striker in the first instance before we look at revisiting inconsistent luxury squad players with little end product.