Author Topic: Slaven Bilic  (Read 676410 times)

timdon

• Senior Baggie

Re: Slaven Bilic
« Reply #1500 on: August 18, 2020, 05:37:43 PM »
Slightly off topic, just looked at the done deals on the Beeb website and there has not been a lot of business in the Premier League so far so a lot of coaches along with SB will be frustrated.
The difference is that most of the other premiership teams already have squads capable of being competitive in this league. We don't.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1501 on: August 18, 2020, 05:52:57 PM »
The difference is that most of the other premiership teams already have squads capable of being competitive in this league. We don't.

A very valid comment mate. Just trying to be a bit positive and not really succeeding!

Wigmore

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1502 on: August 18, 2020, 06:07:41 PM »
Chairman promise the earth and moon to managers slash coaches when they try and lure them to club. Think Bilic was genuinely surprised at lack of funds available and I believe Jenkins jumped ship over this development. Slaven is a highly thought of coach around the footballing world and with promotion on his cv should have no problem in getting another appointment. If owner is unwilling or unable to come up with financial backing that gives him a fighting chance then would he stay?
When you have one iota of fact to support your theories of Slav's surprise and Jenkin's abdication, I will start worrying. As I said earlier today, this forum has a steady drumbeat of unyielding pessimism.
As Albionic remarked, SB was given two seasons for promotion and would have been well versed in difficulties attached to WBA finances, and is ahead of the curve.
The  self financing template has been in place for years, so why on earth would that be a valid reason for MK to quit?

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1503 on: August 18, 2020, 07:02:08 PM »
Not really, if we are going to have a go keep him. If we are not sell him as he will be sold in 12 months time anyway, at least we know where we are this season and it gives the board this season to prep for next years in the EFL.

An odd take, he'll be worth about £50 million next summer as opposed to whatever Benrahma is worth now...
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1504 on: August 18, 2020, 07:11:21 PM »
The E&S link isn’t working for me anymore for some reason. Did Bilic say he will do everything to sign Krovinovic again?

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1505 on: August 18, 2020, 07:28:02 PM »
An odd take, he'll be worth about £50 million next summer as opposed to whatever Benrahma is worth now...

Can't see us getting 50m for him unless COVID19 is almost done away with completely and normality is resumed.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1506 on: August 18, 2020, 07:32:10 PM »
The E&S link isn’t working for me anymore for some reason. Did Bilic say he will do everything to sign Krovinovic again?

Along those lines. Also very keen on the keeper and said he will do everything possible to get him if he doesn't sign for Atletico

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1507 on: August 18, 2020, 07:43:20 PM »
When you have one iota of fact to support your theories of Slav's surprise and Jenkin's abdication, I will start worrying. As I said earlier today, this forum has a steady drumbeat of unyielding pessimism.
As Albionic remarked, SB was given two seasons for promotion and would have been well versed in difficulties attached to WBA finances, and is ahead of the curve.
The  self financing template has been in place for years, so why on earth would that be a valid reason for MK to quit?
Don’t hold your breath on an answer....this is what he does ...spouts negativity and runs off.
You do have to wonder why people bother to follow a team if everything is so bad?
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1508 on: August 18, 2020, 09:36:11 PM »
Bilic is working with the clay he's given.

He said promotion meant as much to him as managing the Croatian national side. He also said end of season 'don't expect many changes from the squad we've seen'.

We have Periera. We (I think, at least) will get Krov. We MAY even get Diangana. Of the other irons in the fire we will get more firepower. We are building a squad that takes it forward I believe...

He is frustrated we are denied spending power, as we are. He's still got something significant to prove and I believe he will. He will work with what we end up with. We won't be relegated next season; what happens AFTER that might well be another matter.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1509 on: August 18, 2020, 09:36:52 PM »
Don’t hold your breath on an answer....this is what he does ...spouts negativity and runs off.
You do have to wonder why people bother to follow a team if everything is so bad?

The negativity on here is stifling at times, Z&B.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1510 on: August 18, 2020, 09:52:01 PM »
The negativity on here is stifling at times, Z&B.
It's not negativity as such. I'm sure every single one of us hopes that we have a half decent season and stay up. But realistically we will have one of the weakest squads in the league, even with 2 or 3 good additions. If Slaven manages to keep us up, he will have done a very, very good job.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1511 on: August 18, 2020, 10:01:26 PM »
Last season was a great year. Very good summer transfer window, refreshing brand of football and promotion. More than we could expect. I was delighted. The mood music for this season back in the premiership however is horrific.  We appear to be showing zero ambition to retain our hard fought top flight status. Of course I may change my mind on that as the transfer window plays out but every indication so far is of the white flag being raised in favour of guaranteeing being solvent in the championship for the next two seasons.

As fans - we deserve more. Find me another premiership club who have been as dull, as boring, as pathetic at board room level and I include in that lots of clubs with similar fan bases or small clubs, all without benefactors.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1512 on: August 18, 2020, 10:40:22 PM »
Last season was a great year. Very good summer transfer window, refreshing brand of football and promotion. More than we could expect. I was delighted. The mood music for this season back in the premiership however is horrific.  We appear to be showing zero ambition to retain our hard fought top flight status. Of course I may change my mind on that as the transfer window plays out but every indication so far is of the white flag being raised in favour of guaranteeing being solvent in the championship for the next two seasons.

As fans - we deserve more. Find me another premiership club who have been as dull, as boring, as pathetic at board room level and I include in that lots of clubs with similar fan bases or small clubs, all without benefactors.
OK. Nuff said

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1513 on: August 18, 2020, 10:45:22 PM »
Great post Baggie82.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1514 on: August 18, 2020, 11:25:55 PM »
It's not negativity as such. I'm sure every single one of us hopes that we have a half decent season and stay up. But realistically we will have one of the weakest squads in the league, even with 2 or 3 good additions. If Slaven manages to keep us up, he will have done a very, very good job.
There is a world of difference between understanding our realistic potential
and “wim cor do anything because the chairman woh spend any money and he don’t even bother coming over and we doh know how much we got to spend so it’s a shambles”
There is a lot of negativity on here,I am very aware of our limitations and challenges...I’ve also just enjoyed one of my best seasons following this club.
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1515 on: August 19, 2020, 12:03:34 AM »
If the club is in discussions concerning a number of players with Croatian connections then Bilic is hardly likely to suggest that we have anything other than a limited budget on Croatian TV. It is simple fact that there is plainly less money available now than before the pandemic. This is barely newsworthy.

The club's financial position is well documented and Bilic is an intelligent man who knows exactly what that means in practical terms and absolutely nobody lied to him when he joined. Budgets post promotion might have been discussed but circumstances have changed. The £20m promotion costs were budgeted for but there has been an additional £20m in lost revenue over and above that.

What is slightly more newsworthy is how important he sees Krovinovic going forward.   

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

chipperclark

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1516 on: August 19, 2020, 12:05:52 AM »
 >:( The Premier league is a different "animal". Current squad would be soundly beaten . We need at least 4 players Keeper,centre back,striker,left back
Would love to have Krov back ...Grady I think Slav won't get.

Mo

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1517 on: August 19, 2020, 07:14:56 AM »

Well said

There can’t be too many premier league clubs who would appoint the 32 year old son of one of the owners mates as chief exec either .

baggiemart

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1518 on: August 19, 2020, 12:15:35 PM »
I agree with what Slav said after we got promotion ..............  give the current players the chance. But one thing they cannot get away with is not buying at least 2 strikers.

We know we won't attract the top premier strikers but come on anyone who thinks we can survive with the current strike force is totally deluded.

I think everywhere else in the team some of the players could surprise us and perform in the premier but no way will we score goals with HRK, Austin and Zohore.

For me get 2 decent strikers, top championship strikers if it has to be but get someone in !!

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1519 on: August 19, 2020, 12:31:33 PM »
I agree with what Slav said after we got promotion ..............  give the current players the chance. But one thing they cannot get away with is not buying at least 2 strikers.

We know we won't attract the top premier strikers but come on anyone who thinks we can survive with the current strike force is totally deluded.

I think everywhere else in the team some of the players could surprise us and perform in the premier but no way will we score goals with HRK, Austin and Zohore.

For me get 2 decent strikers, top championship strikers if it has to be but get someone in !!

The top Championship strikers will be out of our price range. (Watkins, Wilson etc). We'd need to look at League 1 and below or ideally abroad.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1520 on: August 19, 2020, 12:42:06 PM »
The top Championship strikers will be out of our price range. (Watkins, Wilson etc). We'd need to look at League 1 and below or ideally abroad.

Or look at why a top championship striker is out of our price range. 

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1521 on: August 19, 2020, 12:52:26 PM »
and do what about it?
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1522 on: August 19, 2020, 01:11:30 PM »

Because we are skint!

We need to be investing in young up and coming players that we can move on for a profit. Something we've not really done before. Even now you look at our squad and Pereira aside we have no one else that we could make a sizeable profit on. During our long stint in the Prem we didn't manage it either. The only players we could have made good money on were Evans and Rondon and we managed to balls that up too.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1523 on: August 19, 2020, 02:56:03 PM »

We might get lucky and find ourselves another Odenwengie!  We might get lucky and loan ourselves another Lukaku!  That's a lot left to luck, although I accept you can make your own luck through work behind the scenes. 

Alternatively we could just accept the fact that your top League 1 strikers are being touted around at £10 million and top Championship/decent Euro league strikers are being touted around at £20 million and join the party we've been invited to.

This isn't even **** or bust, its just paying the going rate and (barring injury) a striker of decent quality will only increase in value after a season in the PL as they will get a lot of game time for us.  In a way it makes business sense. 

So lets hope Slav is working closely with Dowling and they are about to unearth a striking version of Perreira, but if not lets pay the money and give Slav a chance.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 03:19:05 PM by LiamTheBaggie »

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1524 on: August 19, 2020, 03:31:51 PM »
Because we are skint!

We need to be investing in young up and coming players that we can move on for a profit. Something we've not really done before. Even now you look at our squad and Pereira aside we have no one else that we could make a sizeable profit on. During our long stint in the Prem we didn't manage it either. The only players we could have made good money on were Evans and Rondon and we managed to balls that up too.

If we're skint now, what will change for us to be able to compete in the Prem?  (In, not 'for', lol).  We've made steps to bring young players through and they get poached away by the bigger clubs.  We could keep trying to find Periera's and selling them on - but that gets us nowhere.

Like it or not, our board need to step up and sanction some signings else we'll end up back to square 1.  If we can't afford top championship quality players where does that leave us?

To me, it's small club mentality to think we're just 'lil old Albion, not got a pot to pee in".  We've had the club tell us how important promotion is, the media tell us how much it's worth, to suddenly find ourselves no better off financially than the end of last season seems crazy.