Author Topic: Slaven Bilic  (Read 450143 times)

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

Re: Slaven Bilic
« Reply #1475 on: July 29, 2020, 08:51:13 PM »
I would point out that Sam Field has played Premier League football, he deserves a chance like others, a squad player maybe, but he is a West Brom player and an option.
Why “deserved”?
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1476 on: July 30, 2020, 09:14:27 AM »
A valid point but, in my personal opinion, he will not make it as a premier league player.
Yep, think it will be a story of what could have been. Obviously talented but never really commanded any specific position or style.
Injuries obviously haven't helped but think this ship has sailed and he'll be sold.
If he can stay injury free though, he will still have a decent career, just not at the top level.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1477 on: July 30, 2020, 10:16:04 AM »
Why “deserved”?

Strange reply!
If you put the effort in at work and your managers see's that you are worth trying in a more senior position, have you not earned that chance for a shot in a more senior position?
Same with a footballer, if he's put the effort in in training then the footballer has earned a chance tp perform in the first team.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1478 on: July 30, 2020, 08:07:14 PM »
Strange reply!
If you put the effort in at work and your managers see's that you are worth trying in a more senior position, have you not earned that chance for a shot in a more senior position?
Same with a footballer, if he's put the effort in in training then the footballer has earned a chance tp perform in the first team.
He has spent a large portion of the current championship season injured, I would be more inclined to send him out on loan again.
We can’t afford to rely on someone who hasn’t really played much and certainly has not proven that he can last a whole season
I’d love him to come good, but his career has gone backwards over the last couple of years...I don’t think he will make it with us.
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1479 on: August 18, 2020, 10:22:39 AM »
Jo Masi Twitter Account

A two hour video interview with Slaven Bilic aired in Croatia last night thanks to news outlet Index HR. During it he discussed his interest in signing Filip Krovinovic, Mislav Orsic and Ivo Grbic.

Details here:

Source: https://expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2020/08/18/west-brom-boss-slaven-bilic-talks-grbic-orsic-and-krovinovic/ #wba
Live long and prosper and may the force always be with you!

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1480 on: August 18, 2020, 10:40:31 AM »
Jo Masi Twitter Account

A two hour video interview with Slaven Bilic aired in Croatia last night thanks to news outlet Index HR. During it he discussed his interest in signing Filip Krovinovic, Mislav Orsic and Ivo Grbic.

Details here:

Source: https://expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2020/08/18/west-brom-boss-slaven-bilic-talks-grbic-orsic-and-krovinovic/ #wba

Makes for truly awful reading. Billic wasnt happy within days of joining us last summer. Sounds as though he isn't best pleased now either.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1481 on: August 18, 2020, 11:16:54 AM »
I hope this doesn't lead to panic buys to placate. What am I saying to myself? Panic suggests haste and repentance at financial leisure. Patience is a virtue. Thank the lord for the Monitoring and Stalking Departments, hopefully this time  around they'll find some more hidden gems to prevent us feeling too Zohore or looking like Burkes by the end of the window ;D .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1482 on: August 18, 2020, 11:31:49 AM »
Makes for truly awful reading. Billic wasnt happy within days of joining us last summer. Sounds as though he isn't best pleased now either.5
Can't do a job without decent tools , not good to read .
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

gazberg

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1483 on: August 18, 2020, 11:48:56 AM »
The board strike again.

We are in no worse a position than any other PL club. They have to pay the same as us for the COVID19 knock on effect.

The 10m player bonus was cancelled out by the 8 figure transfer surplus they said themselves that they didn't spend. Seems to have been conveniently forgotten/swept under the carpet so they can plead poverty. Awful.

alex1

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1484 on: August 18, 2020, 12:15:37 PM »
Makes for truly awful reading. Billic wasnt happy within days of joining us last summer. Sounds as though he isn't best pleased now either.
When he signed up, I think Billic would have been realistic enough to know how the club has been run and what sort of financial constraints he would have.  I doubt that the board have had any sudden change of policy or are going back on any promises made. In his position, you would expect Billic to fight his corner and make it known which positions and players are priorities. It doesn't mean that he suddenly feels let down.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 12:18:12 PM by alex1 »
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #1485 on: August 18, 2020, 01:22:29 PM »
The board strike again.

We are in no worse a position than any other PL club. They have to pay the same as us for the COVID19 knock on effect.

The 10m player bonus was cancelled out by the 8 figure transfer surplus they said themselves that they didn't spend. Seems to have been conveniently forgotten/swept under the carpet so they can plead poverty. Awful.

I've seen you quote the £10million player bonus twice now so I've checked it.

“Getting promoted cost the club nearly £20million in bonuses to players and in clauses we had to pay other clubs in transfer agreements,”

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2020/08/08/player-sales-to-boost-west-brom-budget/

They have already accounted for £40million of any funds and we haven't entered pre-season training yet..

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

gazberg

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1486 on: August 18, 2020, 01:23:08 PM »
Quite right Liam, my apologies.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1487 on: August 18, 2020, 01:24:58 PM »
It appears our strategy is to be 20th in the league for budget / investment and pray to finish 17th. Shoestring economics will be the relegation of us.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1488 on: August 18, 2020, 01:26:09 PM »
It appears our strategy is to be 20th in the league for budget / investment and pray to finish 17th. Shoestring economics will be the relegation of us.
that is our financial reality, like it or not
Lovin the championship, just lovin it !

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1489 on: August 18, 2020, 01:43:45 PM »
that is our financial reality, like it or not

How did Sheff Utd spend so much money last season and £18m on a keeper this summer? We would be much better off in my view allocating the PL money AND the first year parachute money to our budget this year. That would immeasurably improve our team and chances of staying up. If we got relegated we’d still have the second year parachute payment to fund the wage bill and a squad with a lot more players that would be sellable if we needed to.

I don’t see how anyone can’t expect us not to finish 20th on the current trajectory - which will mean all that effort to get back up will be wasted, again.

gazberg

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1490 on: August 18, 2020, 01:50:40 PM »
Yes that is what I would be doing. Just going for it. If we go down we go down but we would have a fantasic squad at EFL level.

To be passive makes no sense. We might as well Pereira now because he won't keep us up on his own and once we are relegated he is gone.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #1491 on: August 18, 2020, 02:08:03 PM »
How did Sheff Utd spend so much money last season and £18m on a keeper this summer? We would be much better off in my view allocating the PL money AND the first year parachute money to our budget this year. That would immeasurably improve our team and chances of staying up. If we got relegated we’d still have the second year parachute payment to fund the wage bill and a squad with a lot more players that would be sellable if we needed to.

I don’t see how anyone can’t expect us not to finish 20th on the current trajectory - which will mean all that effort to get back up will be wasted, again.

Not justifying what is happening with us or what happened at SUFC

They spent around £40million last summer - the overall spend increased with the addition of Sander Berge in January, by which point their survival was already more or less confirmed so the risk was not as great - that would largely have been off-set against their prize money which for finishing 9th was £21million.

Their financial position was much different to ours - we are reverting back to Premier League contracts whilst they were operating very much as a club who had been in league one the season before their promotion.

If I recall, I remember reading an article which stated their wage bill was around £19million when they were promoted.

That has given them the wriggle room to spend on fees - I haven't seen their latest accounts, but I think their wage bill is around £45million - ours was that in the championship !

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

NJS

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1492 on: August 18, 2020, 02:24:03 PM »
Yes that is what I would be doing. Just going for it. If we go down we go down but we would have a fantasic squad at EFL level .

To be passive makes no sense. We might as well [sell] Pereira now because he won't keep us up on his own and once we are relegated he is gone.

Don't these two statements kind of contradict each other?
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1493 on: August 18, 2020, 02:28:45 PM »
Not justifying what is happening with us or what happened at SUFC

They spent around £40million last summer - the overall spend increased with the addition of Sander Berge in January, by which point their survival was already more or less confirmed so the risk was not as great - that would largely have been off-set against their prize money which for finishing 9th was £21million.

Their financial position was much different to ours - we are reverting back to Premier League contracts whilst they were operating very much as a club who had been in league one the season before their promotion.

If I recall, I remember reading an article which stated their wage bill was around £19million when they were promoted.

That has given them the wriggle room to spend on fees - I haven't seen their latest accounts, but I think their wage bill is around £45million - ours was that in the championship !

How many of our squad will be reverting to Premier contracts though? HRK, Livermore, Hegazi, Gibbs & Phillips. I wonder how many others have automatic pay rises for promotion in their contracts? At £45m we must be paying some sizable wages to some very average players.

gazberg

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1494 on: August 18, 2020, 02:59:53 PM »
Don't these two statements kind of contradict each other?

Not really, if we are going to have a go keep him. If we are not sell him as he will be sold in 12 months time anyway, at least we know where we are this season and it gives the board this season to prep for next years in the EFL.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 03:14:14 PM by gazberg »

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1495 on: August 18, 2020, 03:57:30 PM »
I've seen you quote the £10million player bonus twice now so I've checked it.

“Getting promoted cost the club nearly £20million in bonuses to players and in clauses we had to pay other clubs in transfer agreements,”

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2020/08/08/player-sales-to-boost-west-brom-budget/

They have already accounted for £40million of any funds and we haven't entered pre-season training yet..

I am fairly sure £10m in player bonuses has been reported elsewhere. So suggests the £20m is probably split £10m for player bonuses and £10m for other promotion commitments., mainly transfer clauses.

It's difficult to discuss those too much without the details , but even in normal circumstances that seems a lot of money so I wonder could we have done better here too.  Maybe we have been a little short sighted with some of those.

Wigmore

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1496 on: August 18, 2020, 04:42:33 PM »
You may wish to think this is truly awful reading, which would be consistent with the unwavering pessimistic tone which is found on this forum.
I would rather believe that SB would have been very well aware of the paucity of money that would be injected by our distant owners, from the first discussions that he would have had with a brutally frank Jenkins. Do you really think that Slav would have stood for being conned over such a crucial issue?
ALL managers want more money/players, so would not regard Bilic as being overly disenchanted with his position at WBA.
Additionally, it would be exceptional for a Croatian interview not to focus on Croatian players irrespective of the practical reality of them signing for the Albion.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1497 on: August 18, 2020, 04:49:13 PM »
You may wish to think this is truly awful reading, which would be consistent with the unwavering pessimistic tone which is found on this forum.
I would rather believe that SB would have been very well aware of the paucity of money that would be injected by our distant owners, from the first discussions that he would have had with a brutally frank Jenkins. Do you really think that Slav would have stood for being conned over such a crucial issue?
ALL managers want more money/players, so would not regard Bilic as being overly disenchanted with his position at WBA.
Additionally, it would be exceptional for a Croatian interview not to focus on Croatian players irrespective of the practical reality of them signing for the Albion.

Spot on, totally agree. Great post.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1498 on: August 18, 2020, 04:51:52 PM »
Spot on, totally agree. Great post.
It should also be considered that SB was challenged to get promotion by the end of next season, by which time we would have been flat broke as parachute payments ran out, he took the job on that basis, so in some respects he is now better equipped than planned
Lovin the championship, just lovin it !

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1499 on: August 18, 2020, 05:04:27 PM »

You and your reasoning, it'll never catch on  ;) .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.