Author Topic: Slaven Bilic  (Read 670594 times)

letmereadposts

• Junior Baggie

Re: Slaven Bilic
« Reply #1450 on: July 23, 2020, 05:51:16 PM »
For the first time we are in a position where we are promoted with a manager who has previous success in the premier league.

It might be a struggle but on the other hand..
- We have a midfield that will enjoy this much more than the championship.
-We struggle against hassling sides who park the bus and counter. Not many team will do that against us next year.

Recruit in the right areas and it could be an exciting season. Alternatively, we go down rebuild with a warchest and compete again similar to Burnley.

Can't wait to see Bilic lead the Baggies in the Premier League. Very proud right now.

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1451 on: July 27, 2020, 11:25:18 AM »
Just seen a couple of Twitter references to Slaven and Partizan and hints at a problem or issue have I missed something?
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1452 on: July 27, 2020, 11:30:58 AM »

It might be a struggle but on the other hand..
- We have a midfield that will enjoy this much more than the championship.

We don't have a midfield. We have Livermore and Sawyers. That's it. They are not going to keep us going all season.

I will be amazed if Harper is even considered for the Premier League, a loan away surely likely?

Krovinovic's loan has ended. We may get him back, we may not. By no means certain.

Field will return from his Charlton loan. Considering Bilic was quick to loan him out in the first place, I'd be surprised if he figures next season. Another loan? Maybe a move permanently?

Barry is out of contract and wont get another one and Brunty as we know is leaving.

Midfield is a problem area.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1453 on: July 27, 2020, 11:38:11 AM »
Just seen a couple of Twitter references to Slaven and Partizan and hints at a problem or issue have I missed something?
not finding anything, you got a linky?

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1454 on: July 27, 2020, 11:41:04 AM »

Are you referencing the member on here, Partisan Baggie, who suggested we get rid of Bilic as he won't get us up?
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

TAFKATMNo1Fan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1455 on: July 27, 2020, 07:22:47 PM »
Surprise surprise Slav overlooked for manager of the season by his fellow managers in favour of Bielsa  :(

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1456 on: July 27, 2020, 07:24:48 PM »
Surprise surprise Slav overlooked for manager of the season by his fellow managers in favour of Bielsa  :(

Clearly the correct decision 😂
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1457 on: July 27, 2020, 08:10:39 PM »
I don’t dislike Slav

This is a forum for opinions and having one shouldn’t mean that you must take sides....

I know it’s been a very VERY long season, we played some good stuff, we had games when we were woeful.
Whilst I honestly have got the buzz back, I feel it’s also fair to point out a couple of things.
Man manager YES....master tactician NO, he still doesn’t know his best 11...
JOHNSTONE ......?

Napoleon said don’t bring me a good general, bring me a lucky one ....and without knocking the achievement of promotion, we have had some fortune upon the way ..
It’s great to win....but it almost feels like we have just took the prize for how many burgers you can eat...and been presented with a huge rack of ribs ....we had to go up ££££....but I’ll miss championship 19/20.

If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1458 on: July 27, 2020, 08:42:06 PM »
Personally i am chuffed we have him and looking forward to seeing what he does next season.

My last memories of the premier league are three years of boredom and just grinding results, there is more to football than that to me.

I have no doubt we will be predicted as one of the strugglers and there is every chance that will be the case but i think under Bilic we will approach games in a positive manner.

He picked up a club that had lost to one of its local rivals who then went to go up via Wembley, he lost 40+ goals, he inherited a goalkeeper and defence that was shaky to say the least and then had to stamp some sort of identity on a team that had losts its way for months prior to it.

I think we also have to take into account the COVID, yes it was the same for everyone but Bielsas teams are usually known for running out of steam (not just Leeds last season, its happened prior with other teams of his) yet as we were approaching the last two months of the season, COVID strikes.

Bielsas team playing a unique high tempo of football and with the COVID they get a three month break and i think they came back refreshed and able to play the football he wanted and rightly won the league as the best team, i think it may of been different with no COVID.

Same with Brentford, they were the little fairytale story, everyone loved them, they had a free hit because nobody had Brentford to be doing so well, yet they gelled, played great football and put an amazing run together, the pressure was off most of the time, yet when the pressure fell on them, they bottled it losing 2 games against struggling teams.

Fulham have arguably the best individuals yet finished 4th, so i think all things considering Slav has done great.

I think he has made some errors as we all do, there were times we could of tried a different approach (prime example, when we were playing teams who came to defend, we usually had lots of pace on our wings anyway, i think he could of played Brunty at left back in those games, we already had enough pace, but try something different who has more quality on the ball) but all managers have their hinderances.

I think the biggest issue Bilic may have next season is he seems a very intense coach, towards the end at West Ham he looked a broken man because i think he is an all or nothing man so when things arent going well, it gets to him, if we are struggling next season, have a run of defeats, thats when then the test will be, not necessarily the team as i think its expected but how he personally reacts to it.

But i look forward to seeing what happens with him in charge.

Pretty much Bob on, we will be expected to struggle and rightly so.  The PL is a beast and guaranteed success comes at a price we could never afford.   

Slav bought a delightful brand of football at times, at times it was laboured when teams defended against us.  Not too many PL teams will come to us and shut up shop, with the right players we will score goals.

All I know is that TTITC nearly destroyed my club by taking away the pride and identity.  Big Dave for all his faults began the rebuilding job but his sacking and Pardews appointment left me lost again.

Thank goodness for Slav!!  For Perreira and Diagana.  For bossing possession, for exhilarating attacking play and for getting lucky when it was needed.   For being a top bloke, engaging, passionate and a bit bonkers.

He's got one year, let's get behind him.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 08:44:18 PM by Oldbury24 »

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1459 on: July 27, 2020, 08:48:47 PM »
I don’t dislike Slav

This is a forum for opinions and having one shouldn’t mean that you must take sides....

I know it’s been a very VERY long season, we played some good stuff, we had games when we were woeful.
Whilst I honestly have got the buzz back, I feel it’s also fair to point out a couple of things.
JOHNSTONE ......?

Napoleon said don’t bring me a good general, bring me a lucky one ....and without knocking the achievement of promotion, we have had some fortune upon the way ..
It’s great to win....but it almost feels like we have just took the prize for how many burgers you can eat...and been presented with a huge rack of ribs ....we had to go up ££££....but I’ll miss championship 19/20.

I don't understand why Slav gets criticised for Johnstone (or the forwards) Slav inherited them (except Zohore) and will be as fed up as we are when balls bounce off SJ's knees or our 6 yard box seems to have been vacated by the keeper, he will be doing all he can to get the club to improve the obviously weakest areas of the squad BUT at the end of the process who the club signs is outside of his control.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1460 on: July 27, 2020, 08:50:19 PM »

Right decision though

Bielsa is impressive

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

glosterbaggie

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1461 on: July 27, 2020, 08:52:24 PM »
I don’t dislike Slav

JOHNSTONE ......?

He was stuck with Johnstone. Other options worse.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell"
"You can't put a price on being able too live with yourself"As I said to a tory MP

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1462 on: July 27, 2020, 09:10:43 PM »
Even I don’t blame Bilic for Johnstone! 

12 month in though, he has to make it known to those in power that a 1st choice keeper is needed. Unless Palmer is ready of course but that might be tough for him to judge until they are back for pre season as I don’t know how much they will have seen of each other.

My gut feeling Is Bilic will stick with Johnstone initially though.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1463 on: July 27, 2020, 10:07:38 PM »
We don't have a midfield. We have Livermore and Sawyers. That's it. They are not going to keep us going all season.

I will be amazed if Harper is even considered for the Premier League, a loan away surely likely?

Krovinovic's loan has ended. We may get him back, we may not. By no means certain.

Field will return from his Charlton loan. Considering Bilic was quick to loan him out in the first place, I'd be surprised if he figures next season. Another loan? Maybe a move permanently?

Barry is out of contract and wont get another one and Brunty as we know is leaving.

One of the most interesting sights in the on-pitch celebrations last week was the sight of Slaven having a word with Harper and Edwards away from the main celebrations. I don't think he'll have been telling them they are going out on loan, probably that they have a chance to pitch for a squad and team place in the prem. I think he rates them both but expects players to impose themselves on games which both can do but not often enough.
I hope we certainly sign one genuine starting CM but I don't think we'll sign more for midfield than that - especially if we sign Krov. With Barry and Brunt gone I think Harper will have every chance to compete for a place if he produces more consistently.
Unfortunately Field had a bit of a treading water year at Charlton with further injury difficulties disrupting his year....difficult to judge where he's at for now.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1464 on: July 27, 2020, 10:49:39 PM »
I don't understand why Slav gets criticised for Johnstone (or the forwards) Slav inherited them (except Zohore) and will be as fed up as we are when balls bounce off SJ's knees or our 6 yard box seems to have been vacated by the keeper, he will be doing all he can to get the club to improve the obviously weakest areas of the squad BUT at the end of the process who the club signs is outside of his control.
Because he had January.....and he had bond
If you really belive that all signings are beyond his control, why are Pererira / Krov being hailed has his signings?
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1465 on: July 27, 2020, 11:17:53 PM »
If you really belive that all signings are beyond his control, why are Pererira / Krov being hailed has his signings?

Mainly down to media reports at the time of their signings. Krov, a fellow Croatian, came in the day after he was named manager with reports saying he has been identified by Bilic’s team but came with the clubs approval.

Later, it was reported that Pereira was also somebody Bilic wanted while the club were looking at other options. Eventually, when he arrived it was again reported as being a Bilic led signing.

When you look at the profile of Dowling’s signings in the last 3 windows, they have near enough all been English based players from the Championship or Premier League so it is fair to assume it was Bilic’s intervention that resulted in the foreign buys.

The likes of Sawyers and Ajayi were name checked by Bilic as players he had not see play before he was given the scouting packages by the club which convinced him of their worth.

Boing Boing

PartisanBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1466 on: July 27, 2020, 11:48:51 PM »
Are you referencing the member on here, Partisan Baggie, who suggested we get rid of Bilic as he won't get us up?

I prefer the phrase ‘amicable parting of company’ than “get rid”. It sounds much more civilised. Anyway, I’m not even on twitter so I don’t know what you’re referring to.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1467 on: July 28, 2020, 09:00:40 AM »

I feel sure he has to rubber stamp them, but he will not do the identification, selection, interviewing, contract negotiation ...... The club has done a lot of good in the last 12 months and made some mistakes (in my opinion) BUT you cannot lay everything at Slav's door. (Good or Bad).

A well run club will change over a few transfer windows, not try to change wholesale in one January window.  It sounds like you are in the "splash the cash, be super-ambishush and damn the consequenses camp, which this club is not, thank god
Albion Family !!!

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1468 on: July 28, 2020, 06:04:56 PM »
I feel sure he has to rubber stamp them, but he will not do the identification, selection, interviewing, contract negotiation ...... The club has done a lot of good in the last 12 months and made some mistakes (in my opinion) BUT you cannot lay everything at Slav's door. (Good or Bad).

A well run club will change over a few transfer windows, not try to change wholesale in one January window.  It sounds like you are in the "splash the cash, be super-ambishush and damn the consequenses camp, which this club is not, thank god
If you read my original post I was being balanced and was not laying everything at Slavs door....but a great manager would not just put up with that keeper surely?

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1469 on: July 28, 2020, 06:17:12 PM »

Bilic, a Croat, managing Partizan Belgrade? 
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1470 on: July 28, 2020, 06:24:42 PM »
If you read my original post I was being balanced and was not laying everything at Slavs door....but a great manager would not just put up with that keeper surely?

maybe he won't ? I personally think a replacement for SJ is as important as new strikers, as it will be a major plus for defensive confidence which will be sorely tested next season, but will Dowling & the recruitment team see it that way?
Albion Family !!!

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1471 on: July 29, 2020, 07:39:19 AM »

I would point out that Sam Field has played Premier League football, he deserves a chance like others, a squad player maybe, but he is a West Brom player and an option.
Baggie in Southampton

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1472 on: July 29, 2020, 08:01:42 AM »
I would point out that Sam Field has played Premier League football, he deserves a chance like others, a squad player maybe, but he is a West Brom player and an option.

A valid point but, in my personal opinion, he will not make it as a premier league player.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1473 on: July 29, 2020, 08:51:13 PM »
Why “deserved”?

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1474 on: July 30, 2020, 09:14:27 AM »
A valid point but, in my personal opinion, he will not make it as a premier league player.
Yep, think it will be a story of what could have been. Obviously talented but never really commanded any specific position or style.
Injuries obviously haven't helped but think this ship has sailed and he'll be sold.
If he can stay injury free though, he will still have a decent career, just not at the top level.