Author Topic: Dwight Gayle (at Newcastle)  (Read 234995 times)

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

Re: Dwight Gayle (on loan swap from Newcastle)
« Reply #600 on: May 20, 2019, 10:21:31 AM »

Like Pukki at Norwich you mean?

Youve picked one example of recent

Can you name another?

I get that there are bargains to be had elsewhere but absolutely no guarantee they will give the same quality Pukki has
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #601 on: May 20, 2019, 10:26:02 AM »
Nobody would complain about not signing Gayle if we signed another striker who was just as lethal and scored 20+ goals. 

The risk is our board finding the player and actually signing him.  We didn't end up with HRK on the books because our board have an eye for a quality bargain striker.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #602 on: May 20, 2019, 10:26:58 AM »
Youve picked one example of recent

Can you name another?

I get that there are bargains to be had elsewhere but abcolutely no guarantee they will give the same quality Pukki has

Billy Sharp
Jack Marriott

Neither would be on the wages Gayle is on.

Of course there is no guarantee that's where the quality of the recruitment comes in.

We might bring in absolute rubbish. On the other hand we might not. Let's wait and see.

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #603 on: May 20, 2019, 10:31:24 AM »
Lets be honest anyone that truly believed we could afford to sign him on a permanent deal were nothing short of deluded. Once we missed out on promotion this summer was going to be all about cutting costs as much as possible and one of the reasons they blackmailed fans into renewing their tickets earlier as they knew what was coming.

Gayle has had a good season so we would have had real competition to get him back anyway.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #604 on: May 20, 2019, 10:33:34 AM »

Billy Sharp
Jack Marriott

Neither would be on the wages Gayle is on.

Of course there is no guarantee that's where the quality of the recruitment comes in.

We might bring in absolute rubbish. On the other hand we might not. Let's wait and see.

Jack Marriot scored 7 goals

Billy Sharp is 33 and had a season he will never match again at this level or above.

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #605 on: May 20, 2019, 10:34:40 AM »
Jack Marriot scored 7 goals

Billy Sharp is 33 and had a season he will never match again at this level or above.

But one won promotion and the other still might. We didn't With Gayle.

TiptonThrostle

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #606 on: May 20, 2019, 10:39:01 AM »
sometimes you have to gamble a bit to get back into the greed league unfortunately. if you are not prepared to do that, then you have to be very very clever with your player recruitment and looking at how well we have done in that particular department over the last few years is nothing short of abysmal.

find it absolutely shocking that Lai's investment is decreasing constantly yet he refuses to put any money in to at least try and get it back to what it was.

wouldnt surprise me if someone like Leeds sign Gayle.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #607 on: May 20, 2019, 10:44:01 AM »

But one won promotion and the other still might. We didn't With Gayle.

So you're judging a player's worth on whether they won promotion?  And you think we should sign a 33 year old forward?  Or one that got 7 goals as a replacement for someone who scored 20+?

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #608 on: May 20, 2019, 10:45:32 AM »
sometimes you have to gamble a bit to get back into the greed league unfortunately. if you are not prepared to do that, then you have to be very very clever with your player recruitment and looking at how well we have done in that particular department over the last few years is nothing short of abysmal.

find it absolutely shocking that Lai's investment is decreasing constantly yet he refuses to put any money in to at least try and get it back to what it was.

wouldnt surprise me if someone like Leeds sign Gayle.

How many times?

Chinese law prohibits Lai from putting any money into the club for three years. The three years are up in September.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #609 on: May 20, 2019, 10:47:35 AM »
I'm sure we could have sorted a 'payment plan' out if we had thought it through.
£25k a week and a £1.5m bonus if we get promoted.
The Rondon money alone would more than cover that.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #610 on: May 20, 2019, 10:50:22 AM »
Looks like the dye is set for a complete rebuild from top to bottom & its going to be a long haul guys & gals.
The appointment of our next manager has now moved on to the highest level.
COYB   

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #611 on: May 20, 2019, 10:50:55 AM »
This is a massive blow to our hopes of scoring enough goals next season. Whilst I understand we have to, broadly speaking, balance our books, why cannot we at least loan Gayle for a season? That may be our best hope of getting promotion again. We should have alot of extra funds flowing in from the sale of Rondon. We still have Rondon to use as a bargaining chip with Newcastle. 
If our attack next season consists of HRK and one from the academy, it will be a case of being grateful for 0-0 draws at places like Barnsley. Before you know it we'll be looking over our shoulder at League 1.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

sing on our own

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #612 on: May 20, 2019, 10:56:32 AM »

How many times?

Chinese law prohibits Lai from putting any money into the club for three years. The three years are up in September.
If you think Lai will spend if any restrictions are lifted you may be in for a shock. He said when he bought the club it would continue to be self funding and he wouldn’t put his money in. One of the few statements he’s ever made but he made that clear, so why do you or others who cling onto this notion of when September comes he’s suddenly going to splash the cash?

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #613 on: May 20, 2019, 11:00:28 AM »
If you don't value a guaranteed 20-30 goals at this level as well as plenty of assists (including winning penalties), at 55k/week, then we are really just accepting our Championship status. If it means running lighter on numbers in other areas by utilising utility players then so be it. Without Gayle this season, we would have been well down the table from 4th.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #614 on: May 20, 2019, 11:06:00 AM »
I'm sure we could have sorted a 'payment plan' out if we had thought it through.
£25k a week and a £1.5m bonus if we get promoted.
The Rondon money alone would more than cover that.

So a £30k a week wage reduction with the promise of a bonus if we get promoted? And how much do we have to pay the other players bonuswise?

I wish it was as simple as that. As much as Dwight likes us as a club I dont think for one second that he is prepared to lose £120,000 a month to live here..... 
MAGA!

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #615 on: May 20, 2019, 11:07:47 AM »
If you think Lai will spend if any restrictions are lifted you may be in for a shock. He said when he bought the club it would continue to be self funding and he wouldn’t put his money in. One of the few statements he’s ever made but he made that clear, so why do you or others who cling onto this notion of when September comes he’s suddenly going to splash the cash?

I can't ever remember him saying that, but if you can find a quote I'm happy to be proved wrong.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #616 on: May 20, 2019, 11:11:41 AM »
Gayle has no affiliation to this club so is not going to take a wage cut to come to us, yeah he probably enjoyed most of his loan spell but his next move will be his last big one, he's 28 and there will be clubs that are prepared to pay for him and give him the wages he's currently on or maybe better depending where he goes so no way will he take a pay cut.

He's also still got 2 years left at Newcastle so any fee will be more than we realistically can be spending at this stage.

It did also say we cannot sign him permanently so there is still hope that we can do something to get him back on loan depending on what happens with Rondon going there and then maybe next Summer if a miracle happens and we do go back up we can look at a perm deal but if someone else comes in he will go there if its right for him.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #617 on: May 20, 2019, 11:18:29 AM »

I didn't say he would I was answering another post.

sing on our own

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #618 on: May 20, 2019, 11:19:06 AM »

I can't ever remember him saying that, but if you can find a quote I'm happy to be proved wrong.
it was one of the first things he said in his statement the day he took over. Pretty sure it was even in the programme. If not use the power of google my friend or ask any Albion fan who has a memory of facts and  not what they hope for.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #619 on: May 20, 2019, 11:26:15 AM »
it was one of the first things he said in his statement the day he took over. Pretty sure it was even in the programme. If not use the power of google my friend or ask any Albion fan who has a memory of facts and  not what they hope for.

There you go! Done your homework for you

Guochuan Lai commented: “I am excited and privileged to have the chance to become the new owner of this great Club. We have a strong squad, loyal fans and a unique culture. My immediate priorities will be to maintain the Club’s stable structure, respecting its well-run nature and its heritage. I have no intention of changing the Club’s ethos.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #620 on: May 20, 2019, 11:31:34 AM »
55k week is about £3m once tax taken into account. Rondon is going for 16.5m. 3 year deal for Gayle cost £9m on wages. Leaves £7.5m towards his transfer fee, plus money to come in from other sales. The club as basically committing to a conservative agenda and championship wages across the board. The squad is going to be ripped apart. No idea how they expect to get promotion with this plan. Back to 1990s and mid table mediocrity.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #621 on: May 20, 2019, 11:32:00 AM »
If anyone was in any doubt, then welcome to the harsh realities of the Championship and there's more to come
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

TiptonThrostle

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #622 on: May 20, 2019, 11:45:14 AM »

Exactly. its not going to happen. he has no intention what so ever of putting his own money into the club. just find it bizarre when he purchased WBA for top end value and is now probably worth 25-30% of what he paid for it.

like others have said, why cant we loan gayle for another season and use it as part of selling rondon ?

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #623 on: May 20, 2019, 11:49:28 AM »
55k week is about £3m once tax taken into account. Rondon is going for 16.5m. 3 year deal for Gayle cost £9m on wages. Leaves £7.5m towards his transfer fee, plus money to come in from other sales. The club as basically committing to a conservative agenda and championship wages across the board. The squad is going to be ripped apart. No idea how they expect to get promotion with this plan. Back to 1990s and mid table mediocrity.

Have you looked at our squad without last seasons loanees? We need to bring in half a dozen just to replace those players let alone replacing players that may leave. That is going to cost money. If we spend it all on Gayle who else we going to be able to bring in? We have no right back, only 3 CH's, two strikers there's six players just to balance the squad.

TiptonThrostle

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #624 on: May 20, 2019, 11:53:44 AM »

Have you looked at our squad without last seasons loanees? We need to bring in half a dozen just to replace those players let alone replacing players that may leave. That is going to cost money. If we spend it all on Gayle who else we going to be able to bring in? We have no right back, only 3 CH's, two strikers there's six players just to balance the squad.

from the clubs POV with Gayle, i think we may replace those players and still be financially better off  and will cost us nothing.

players like Dawson, Hegazi, Gibbs, Rodriguez and Rondon will all definitely go and all fetch transfer fees.

Rondon has a £16.5m release clause which someone will pay. the other 4 combined will fetch at least £20-25m.

so does anyone think we  are going to spend £40m plus on replacing those players???

we will replace them with players of the same calibre like Townsend. players doing well at league 1 & 2 and bottom end of the championship, yes who will cost money but will cost a lot less wages than those 5 players mentioned and transfer fees too.

we will have a mid table squad next year at best and will actually make money IMO.