Author Topic: 28 Nov 2023 Cardiff City 0 Albion 1  (Read 9591 times)

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #250 on: November 28, 2023, 10:32:53 PM »
A really good win. And boy was that some goal. Its incredible to see what Carlos has done with this team. So many injuries he has to contend with and the points tally is one of the best around. Another clean sheet too.

Saturday feels like a free hit now.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

nybaggie10

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #251 on: November 28, 2023, 10:33:45 PM »
Go back to the summer and we all just hoped we’d survive and not get relegated. We were bringing back Kipre and Mowatt both loaned out last season under Bruce. Expectations were low.

Fast forward to late November. We’re 3rd in the league and have just restricted the 2nd and 7th placed teams to maybe one shot on target in 180 minutes. Kipre and Mowatt are mainstays and playing as well as anyone in the league in their respective positions.

We have a great squad, the bench tonight was strong. Carlos is not afraid to make changes game by game. He trusts everyone in the squad and they all see that.

Take a bow, Carlos, your coaching skills are on another level.

In a strange but different way, this is beginning to remind me of the Megson 2001/02 season. No one expected much other than the manager and players until the momentum kept on building and we became an unstoppable force.

Enjoy it, folks. These are great times when we didn’t expect them. Bring on Leicester.

Adamstv

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #252 on: November 28, 2023, 10:35:58 PM »
We have played two highly placed teams in the last 2 matches and effectively limited them to one shot on target in 180+ minutes. Whilst some have said Ipswich and Cardiff played poorly I think tremendous credit has to go to CC and the back room team for drilling our players so well and allowing very little to get through the lines. I still skip a beat with the old ticker when Bartley tries to play football out of defence but my word he and Kipre get in the way of everything.

Fellows was tremendous tonight when he came on in his cameo role and I thought he was more effective than Diangana tonight. Let’s hope we can secure his services before his contract runs out in the summer. Great use of the subs tonight by CC.

superkev

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #253 on: November 28, 2023, 10:37:33 PM »
Great comments
"

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #254 on: November 29, 2023, 12:18:25 AM »
Got clattered into right from the start by their CB, went off holding his arm about 15 mins later i think. Not sure if relates back to that

Shoulder injury apparently.  Hopefully something that a cortisone will clear up for Saturday!

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #255 on: November 29, 2023, 12:54:04 AM »
Not vintage but a superb away performance we defended well as a unit and the last 2 games the opposition haven't really laid a glove on us. Townsend and Furlong have both been better of late it helps having competition so people have to play for their place.

Good rotation of the team. Minutes in saramiento and swift. Shame about Wallace. Phillips only had to play 25 minutes which bodes well for him to start Saturday. Up top is still where we look weaker- Maja had some nice touches and got some minutes wonder if he will start Saturday?

The run of ipswich Cardiff lecister and Sunderland I would have taken 7 points. Leicester should suit us as they will attack us. Hopefully another positive result
O Albion we love you

Baggiee_Boyy_Benn

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #256 on: November 29, 2023, 02:44:58 AM »
After almost all our early season victories people would say "a good win against a average xxx team".

People are realising now this is what CC does to teams.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #257 on: November 29, 2023, 07:08:25 AM »
Alex Mowatt vs Cardiff:

1 Assist
73 Passes ⭐️
91% Pass accuracy
91 Touches
8 Passes into the final 3rd
8 Recoveries
6/8 Duels won
1 Foul drawn

................ and some of the in game posters were saying get him off .............embarassed ???????
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

tegga

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #258 on: November 29, 2023, 07:53:31 AM »
For me, that was a difficult watch last night, and you would have thought a neutral football fan would have switched the television off. Both sides struggled at times, and this business of slowing the ball down and playing out from the back isn't everybody's cup of tea. But you have to admire what Carlos and his staff have done with this squad, and that is why we won last night. Mind you I thought they were going to score but for a terrific save from Palmer. But then again it took a wonder goal from Sarmiento to win the game.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #259 on: November 29, 2023, 08:05:37 AM »
Well done to KC and the Sunshine Band. "That's the way I like it".

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #260 on: November 29, 2023, 08:36:16 AM »
They didn't quite get it down tonight but got the three points and that's the way I like it.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #261 on: November 29, 2023, 08:50:01 AM »
Seemed to be some words between Carlos and the Cardiff manager during their handshake, it ended with Carlos shaking his finger at the guy. I wonder what the beef was.

I'm not sure whether this has anything to do with the finger waving but I skim read an article on the BBC earlier and the Cardiff boss Bulut was bemoaning the lack of VAR in the Championship.

He feels they've been hard done by over a number of decisions this season and should have had a penalty for handball last night. The only incident I can think of was when the ball ricocheted onto Townsend I think it was at close range.

I've no idea how many decisions he feels have gone the wrong way for them but if that was one then he has a very low threshold for what constitutes a penalty because that would have been extremely harsh. I think he was grasping at straws personally.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Adamstv

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #262 on: November 29, 2023, 09:43:38 AM »
“ Leicester should suit us as they will attack us. Hopefully another positive result”

I’ve seen Leicester a few times and to be honest they play a similar game as we did last night. Lots of possession in their own half and midfield and then wait for an opening. I watched them against Watford and tbh until Vardy came on they were huffing and puffing but couldn’t get passed a disciplined Watford midfield. /defence. He changed the game.

I think Saturdays games will be like a game of chess - 2 extremely good coaches, 2 well drilled teams and it could come down to how clinical the strikers are with a half chance. On that score Vardy v Asante isn’t a contest.

baggiemart

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #263 on: November 29, 2023, 09:48:48 AM »
Carlos Corbrean is performing miracles with this team. Not the best squad of players but the manager has got them playing to the best of their abilities and the players are responding well. A bit like cloughie did with very ordinary players.  Carry on playing like this and I can see us getting promoted automatically and not bothering with the play offs.  I just hope that the ***** who are running the club don't make a mess of everything in January and start selling our best players to raise money to pay their own inflated wages. On the pitch the players are 1st class, running the club we are 4th class at best !!!

BaggieBoy04

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #264 on: November 29, 2023, 11:20:18 AM »
It is hard to believe this is the same team that Bruce had the less said the better. We saw what Carlos could do Last Season so had we sacked Bruce eairler who knows. This Season didn't start great selling O'Shea our best defender and Kipre was locking shaky. Honestly Carlos is incredible their is a buzz on the field Bring on Leicester. Last night wasn't Vintage but it is what need to do and something we haven't really done since Slav is keep Plugging away picking up Points finding ways to win. COYB UTFA
Albion Pride Of The Black Country

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #265 on: November 29, 2023, 12:23:58 PM »
Great result which has turned the Leicester game into a free hit. Mowatt MOTM. Thought we were sloppy in possession first half and Cardiff looked a bit more aggressive than us. Second half we controlled the game without creating much but always looked comfortable, he made a tactical switch at HT to play Townsend inverted in the midfield which gave us more control of the game and allowed us to play out of defence a bit easier.

CC has us organised so well off the ball, and you can see exactly what every players role is, fantastic head coach

I think I prefer one of Wallace/Phillips alongside one of Diangana/Sarmiento, and last night after Wallace went off was a good example of why. Playing both of the former leaves us a bit one-dimensional, and playing both of the latter leaves us a bit powderpuff. Although Fellows is looking a good option as well with another great cameo.

TheBaggieMan

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #266 on: November 29, 2023, 01:27:46 PM »

Third in the League
Am I only dreaming?
Is this burning,  an eternal flame?
(The Bangles)
West Brom 2023/24
Has Sticky the Stick Insect finally got unstuck from that sticky bun?
Great stuff under Corberan - keep it up Baggies!

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #267 on: November 29, 2023, 02:11:11 PM »
Excellent result - we're not going to be brilliant every week but we know how to grind out results.

Cardiff didn't look like scoring at any point during that game to be honest. Had we been more clinical then we really could have had a couple more.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #268 on: November 30, 2023, 07:58:55 AM »
Their manager's making himself look like an utter clump with some of his post match comments  :-X .

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #269 on: November 30, 2023, 09:03:12 AM »
Their manager's making himself look like an utter clump with some of his post match comments  :-X .

What’s he said? Not seen anything as yet

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #270 on: November 30, 2023, 09:29:35 AM »
the usual “I wanted a penalty so VAR must be implemented in my favour”. you know the normal type of sour grapes, probably what the argument after the game was about with him and Carlos.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #271 on: November 30, 2023, 09:32:36 AM »

Complimentary towards us on one hand regarding defence and organisation and on the other he's suggesting they only lost because there's no VAR in the Championship, they should have had two penalties and the officials have been against them for much of the season.

He's also suggested the rules/laws over here must be different to those in Germany and Turkey. I've no idea how many or what decisions have gone against them in previous games but if the two penalties he's referring to in our game are anything to go by he's a very sore loser and a bag of wind.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #272 on: November 30, 2023, 12:03:50 PM »
I'm struggling to think what their penalty claims are!
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

tegga

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #273 on: November 30, 2023, 12:44:29 PM »
It's bad if you have to depend on getting penalties to get a result.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #274 on: November 30, 2023, 12:48:24 PM »
I'm struggling to think what their penalty claims are!

Handballs against Townsend and Bartley. Apparently. Townsend's was a really short range nothing he can do about it and I think the ball hit the back of Bartley's arm when he and his arm were over the line from memory. I only saw them in real time but neither looked like a penalty to me. Interesting that he never passed comment on McGuinnes going straight through Jed Wallace's back which probably led to his injury and early substitution though.