Author Topic: Jake Livermore  (Read 462975 times)

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

Re: Jake Livermore
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2017, 09:54:22 PM »
In a British to British context £10m is probably okay it is totally outrageous if we look outside the Premier League bubble but what the heck every piece of stupidity can be used justify the next

If I'm being picky Livermore at 27 doesn't have many more "peak" years in him and whatever we pay is probably going to be last big fee he moves for. In terms of what we might be getting not the absolute top draw we might have been hoping for but he will improve us.

In terms of passing he has a greater pass volume and completion rate than Fletcher.

I am puzzled as to why Hull would let him go but apparently they need to raise funds to strengthen other areas

I think they've got considerable debt issues (not quite on the scale of Sunderland's £210m) and Allam isn't prepared to convert more debt into equity.

Seems like they have to sell to strengthen especially in defence. Questions is which ones to they sell? Hernandez might score enough to keep them up. Snodgrass or Livermore seems the likeliest, possibly even both.

Raymond John

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2017, 10:59:22 PM »
It is alleged we aspire to being an established top ten club.   Accepting the first six positions are well beyond our capabilities/resources, to achieve or at least have some realistic expectation of achieving our aspired level, we will have to become an established member of a group likely comprised in most if not all seasons, of Everton, Southampton, Stoke, Leicester and possibly West Ham.

Whenever we are reportedly, seriously interested in signing a first team player - rather than a squad player - I ask myself would these other clubs likely be interested in signing the player for their first team.   

Regarding Sneiderlin the answer was an unequivocal yes and although I doubted the likelihood of us ultimately getting him I did think that at least it showed the powers to be realised the quality of player we needed to get us to the aspired level.

But having failed to get Sneiderlin with a £18m+ bid, who do we come up with as the alternative; someone at least close to if not equal to the quality of Sneiderlin?    Unfortunately not but Livermore at an inflated £10m which is likely to be even more in this transfer window if we are to get him.  In my opinion Livermore is no more than another journeyman midfielder who arguably might be a little better than what we already have but is no where near the quality we need if we are to get to that higher level.

As others have said, this smacks very much of a Pulis driven signing, signifying that he is still very much in control of our transfer policy with all the risk-adverse limitations, that entails.

In today's market £10m may not be viewed as a great deal but £10m spent on Livermore is £10m less available to help fund the purchase of the quality of player who really would make a difference.   

There is not much risk of us being relegated this season - for which Pulis's approach, whether one likes it or not, is a significant factor - so I do not think there is an urgent need to spend much in this window unless of course the quality of player we need does become available at a realistic price.  As regards Livermore, if such a player is now deemed necessary we surely can find a loan signing at least his equal who would get us through to the summer when much better options are almost certainly to become available.

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2017, 11:14:39 PM »
What!! Is this a joke? He is no better than what we have. Why buy a bang average premier league player, we might as well play field and leko. Do you really think he will replace Fletcher? Already 'he has played for England well so did Mike Phelan. No better than Gerdner
100% agree exactly what i just said to my mates in the,pub! Not for me thanks.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2017, 12:26:09 AM »
Of the three players we've been strongly linked with l honestly don't see the pattern.
Schneiderlin, Livermore, Schlupp.
we missed out on Schneiderlin so is Livermore the alternative?
Does it suggest that Pulis still wants a left sided player.ie someone like Schlupp?
Three very different players in Quality and position.
I think there's a few more pieces to this jigsaw yet.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2017, 05:34:04 AM »
What!! Is this a joke? He is no better than what we have. Why buy a bang average premier league player, we might as well play field and leko. Do you really think he will replace Fletcher? Already 'he has played for England well so did Mike Phelan. No better than Gerdner
Totally different to what we have , Livermore can pick a pass and more importantly drive on with the ball. Yacob is a stopper sadly with one pace , Field a passer but a bit young yet and Fletcher well once was an all rounder but fading now.
I for one believe he would add something positive to our side , I do share your view on Fletcher being dropped though..........
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2017, 06:24:40 AM »
Of the three players we've been strongly linked with l honestly don't see the pattern.
Schneiderlin, Livermore, Schlupp.
we missed out on Schneiderlin so is Livermore the alternative?
Does it suggest that Pulis still wants a left sided player.ie someone like Schlupp?
Three very different players in Quality and position.
I think there's a few more pieces to this jigsaw yet.

I think the clue here is the phrase "linked with" I don't think we were actively pursuing Schlupp in the window a lot of press speculation based on our previous interest no doubt fueled by Schlupp's agent trying to get him a move.

Pulis has said the priority is the central areas. In that respect Livermore is the next taxi off the rank after Schniederlin. 
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2017, 08:39:51 AM »

A defensive midfielder who is currently playing as a CB for Hull this season. Maybe he is being bought in to replace Mcauley/olsson and offer cover for the midfield two?
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2017, 09:03:26 AM »
for me and eddy hes no better than gardner, he doesnt even start for Hull

He's played 21 games so far (in all comps) and been a sub once (last league game against Bournemouth as he was returning from illness). He has been subbed off in 4 league matches. Not sure where you get the idea "he doesn't even start for Hull".

Much better than Gardner, can play a pass and make a tackle.

As others have said he can also play at centre half. Talking to friends he has been good at the back too, didn't look out of place.

This from today's Hull Daily Mail:

http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/opinion-hull-city-s-jake-livermore-cannot-be-allowed-to-leave/story-30061018-detail/story.html
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 09:07:02 AM by Hull Baggie »

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2017, 09:53:01 AM »
I can't believe we're hoping to improve our midfield with Livermore. Regardless if he's better than Gardner, we could really do with players that can improve the starting 11 as the club have been saying for the past few windows. Signing an average midfielder just because he can play centre back?? Why not just sign another centre back?

If we're signing him to start ahead of Fletcher, he's only got 1 goal and 1 assist all season so can't really see the point. We've already got Yacob to hold and really need a more expansive box-to-box type.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2017, 09:58:59 AM »
I can't believe we're hoping to improve our midfield with Livermore. Regardless if he's better than Gardner, we could really do with players that can improve the starting 11 as the club have been saying for the past few windows. Signing an average midfielder just because he can play centre back?? Why not just sign another centre back?

If we're signing him to start ahead of Fletcher, he's only got 1 goal and 1 assist all season so can't really see the point. We've already got Yacob to hold and really need a more expansive box-to-box type.

for me Gardner is the better bet and i agree with you that he is no improvement, just desperation now with 2 weeks left is how i see it having let Gardner go. 15 million was he who demanded wearing a mask and a striped jumper
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 10:05:04 AM by WBAinDEVON »
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2017, 09:59:29 AM »
Now being reported that Hull want £15m. I really hope that we do not spend that amount on him. If we cannot do better than him for that amount, then give Sam Field his opportunity.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2017, 10:05:23 AM »
Does he work hard and can he play centre back?

His playing CB for Hull this season  ;D
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

barnestormer

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2017, 10:17:36 AM »
Lots of reports saying a club record transfer fee in if we want him,a big no thank you if so and get back in for
Carvahalo money spent better
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 10:19:09 AM by barnestormer »

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2017, 10:22:20 AM »
Please don't break a club transfer record on a bloke who won't be much of a step up from Gardner. Stupid transfer. Hope it's just paper talk
O Albion we love you

wba13

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2017, 10:36:55 AM »
Some of you Albion fans must also be hull fans having given Livermore so much stick you must watch him every week. Iv`e been around a long time and I cannot form a proper opinion on the player having only seen him in the odd live match and MOTD If and I mean If he does sign I will be right behind the player like I am with all our player`s [except one ]

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2017, 11:00:31 AM »
Some of you Albion fans must also be hull fans having given Livermore so much stick you must watch him every week. Iv`e been around a long time and I cannot form a proper opinion on the player having only seen him in the odd live match and MOTD If and I mean If he does sign I will be right behind the player like I am with all our player`s [except one ]

of course he will get grace from supporters if he signs.i keep forgetting we have a billionaire owner now and getting a little carried away slightly. just expecting a little better than someone whos no better thats all
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 11:02:36 AM by WBAinDEVON »
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2017, 11:02:53 AM »
Would be extremely disappointed in the club if we went to £15m for him. Would smack of desperation.

kie the baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2017, 11:09:37 AM »
Save the money for the summer

Mr Cynical

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2017, 11:12:56 AM »
If the choice is:
Livermore at £10m (or more) who is ready to play and tuned in for PL football
or
Camacho at £18m who may take a while to settle in an become completely effective

Its a no brainer, with only 3 more wins needed this season...  But there is silence regarding Camacho - and whether that is a good or bad thing as far as West Brom is concerned is another matter.

One has reached his peak, will not increase in value and will put in workman-like appearances.  The other could shine brightly, attract a profit and draw other players to our club.  (When was the last time we sold a player for a decent profit?)

I think it's one of the downsides with having Pulis in charge.  Proven, steady, players who you can rely on, but you'll never make money on.  The recruitment should mix this with younger players who are going to come in, make and impact and significantly increase in value.  (Not that Camacho is much younger than Livermore, just that he could prove himself in the PL and become an attractive target for a bigger club - like the Southampton production line.)

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2017, 11:14:44 AM »

Fletcher also has 1 goal and 1 assist this season too. Livermore has a pass success rate of 85% over Fletchers' 77%. That extra 8% could be the difference between starting attacks off and losing possession in dangerous positions.

Having said that £15m is too much for him.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #70 on: January 17, 2017, 12:02:02 PM »
If the choice is:
Livermore at £10m (or more) who is ready to play and tuned in for PL football
or
Camacho at £18m who may take a while to settle in an become completely effective

Its a no brainer, with only 3 more wins needed this season...  But there is silence regarding Camacho - and whether that is a good or bad thing as far as West Brom is concerned is another matter.

One has reached his peak, will not increase in value and will put in workman-like appearances.  The other could shine brightly, attract a profit and draw other players to our club.  (When was the last time we sold a player for a decent profit?)

I think it's one of the downsides with having Pulis in charge.  Proven, steady, players who you can rely on, but you'll never make money on.  The recruitment should mix this with younger players who are going to come in, make and impact and significantly increase in value.  (Not that Camacho is much younger than Livermore, just that he could prove himself in the PL and become an attractive target for a bigger club - like the Southampton production line.)

I agree with this, but at the same time there's no given that Camacho comes and performs. There's been a history of Italian/Spanish midfielders who look excellent domestically yet struggle with the English game. Personally I'd still try Camacho by the sounds of things but I can kind of see where Pulis is coming from, I just wish sometimes he'd take more risks in the transfer market.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2017, 12:21:29 PM »

Livermore and Huddleston both left Spurs for Hull.
Not Man u, not Liverpool not Arsenal.
Hull.
So whilst some of us are trying to big this transfer up all you have to do is ask yourself a couple of questions
Would he improve our starting 11? Barely
Who would he play instead of? G Mac, Fletcher Yacob? Maybe but not a great improvement bearing in mind as fans we're looking to push on to hold onto 8th and above.
It looks to me as if its buying a player for buyings sake, if thats the case we can carry on until the end of the season then buy what we really want
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

wba13

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #72 on: January 17, 2017, 12:31:03 PM »
Do you really think our manager and scouts don`t know what Livermore is about I would rather trust there judgment  than any everyday fan. As for improving our starting eleven you cannot judge that until he plays for whoever he signs for .

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #73 on: January 17, 2017, 12:41:59 PM »

A defensive midfielder who is currently playing as a CB for Hull this season. Maybe he is being bought in to replace Mcauley/olsson and offer cover for the midfield two?

He played at centre back earlier in the season while Dawson was injured. Hull play a back 3 of Dawson, Maguire and Davies.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #74 on: January 17, 2017, 12:47:14 PM »
He played at centre back earlier in the season while Dawson was injured. Hull play a back 3 of Dawson, Maguire and Davies.

Very true sir.

CB for the first seven games of the season.

CM/DM for the rest.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/jake-livermore/leistungsdaten/spieler/61832
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.