Author Topic: Kieran Gibbs  (Read 165839 times)

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

Re: Kieran Gibbs
« Reply #150 on: August 30, 2017, 03:55:11 PM »
Welcome Kieron, hope you enjoy a great career here, you have an opportunity to be a real fans favorite as we have not seen a "quality" left back since Derek Statham and that is a long, long time ago.

Good luck mate. (BTW when we kicking towards the brummy (the home end), you may need some ear defenders!)
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #151 on: August 30, 2017, 04:23:05 PM »
Is a quality addition who has had some incredibly bad luck with injuries which have been the only reason he hasn't established himself as Arsenal first choice LB and potentially England's. Interesting regarding the comment regarding his final ball, how many left backs can say they've notched up a hat trick assists in a Champions League game? Only thing that concerns me is his injury record, but he's a player of great quality.

orville

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #152 on: August 30, 2017, 04:33:31 PM »
A left back and wearing the No3 shirt been waiting a long time to see that  ;D ;D ;D

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #153 on: August 30, 2017, 04:37:39 PM »
Durham on Talksport talking this signing and west brom after 6
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

smosher34

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #154 on: August 30, 2017, 04:43:46 PM »
This is more like it young players who could be worth alot more in a few years 😊 well happy

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #155 on: August 30, 2017, 04:48:53 PM »
Welcome to the Albion Kieran, Happy Days

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #156 on: August 30, 2017, 05:13:11 PM »
This is more like it young players who could be worth alot more in a few years 😊 well happy

He's 27! Not that young!
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

vrabbit

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #157 on: August 30, 2017, 05:18:37 PM »
overjoyed with this signing and hopeful he'll be a regular in the XI sooner than later, although I hope TP still find a way to keep Brunty on the field. His crosses and ability on dead balls is too valuable.

wardy65

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #158 on: August 30, 2017, 06:05:07 PM »
Welcome to this great club Kieran!

Amazing bit of business by the Albion, very good player imo.

I do agree that Brunty will still play a big part for us though, as we score so many goals from set pieces & he takes most of them. Pulis & Megson aren't stupid & know the stats on Brunts assist record.

Pulisisabaggie

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #159 on: August 30, 2017, 06:11:31 PM »
Another good signing we need 4 more quality signings COYB.

Bigrob80

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #160 on: August 30, 2017, 06:52:47 PM »
Welcome Kieron hope you get on well! Boing boing

graka

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #161 on: August 30, 2017, 09:14:47 PM »
Another good signing at the right price and I'm sure tone will teach you how to defend properly

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #162 on: August 30, 2017, 09:17:32 PM »
13 years of Wenger - Pulis might be a culture shock but also might be exactly what he needs.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #163 on: August 30, 2017, 09:25:05 PM »
I can't be the only one who doesnt think we'll see much of Gibbs this side of Christmas?

:-[
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #164 on: August 30, 2017, 09:26:28 PM »
I can't be the only one who doesnt think we'll see much of Gibbs this side of Christmas?

:-[

The ominous line of being able to work on the defensive side of his game in Pulis' interview gave that away.

I'd also be surprised to see Pulis throw more than two new signings into the team for Brighton.

KingKoren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #165 on: August 30, 2017, 09:30:30 PM »
He doesn't seem the Pulis type but you never know.

I feel it would more likely he'd play in a back 5 then a 4 but who knows. He certainly has quality and far stranger things have happened. Can't pretend I'm convinced it'll work out.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #166 on: August 30, 2017, 10:59:26 PM »
I'm very encouraged by the fact he has quality on the ball going forward. I'll say it again, it is daft putting a classic central defender at full back as it is unnatural for them to overlap forward with the ball. Just hope his final crosses are decent. I'm sure Pulis will see to it that he is well coached on the defensive side of his game.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Baggie79

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #167 on: August 30, 2017, 11:13:54 PM »
I think his only issue has been that he is not brilliant defensively but apart from that he is very very good. When Pulis, Mego and Co are finished with him he could be a real player.
Gera, Gera, Gera

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #168 on: August 31, 2017, 07:09:43 AM »
Sorry this is bizarre. We have just signed a 27 year old full back who has over 200 appearances for Arsenal many of which were in the Champions League and he pretty much admits that he can't defend and is talking in a manner that would be more appropriate for a 20 year old loanee than an established pro.

Now some might call that refreshing humility but I don't think it is particularly auspicious. At 27 he is nearing the veteran stage of his career as a full back and to think Pulis/Megson will teach him to defend at this point of time is a touch optimistic.   Either we won't start him or we will and he will be dropped when he has his first defensive nightmare probably after we play City in the league cup.

I want to be wrong I really do but this doesn't feel right. 
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

bry

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #169 on: August 31, 2017, 08:09:55 AM »
Sorry this is bizarre. We have just signed a 27 year old full back who has over 200 appearances for Arsenal many of which were in the Champions League and he pretty much admits that he can't defend and is talking in a manner that would be more appropriate for a 20 year old loanee than an established pro.

Now some might call that refreshing humility but I don't think it is particularly auspicious. At 27 he is nearing the veteran stage of his career as a full back and to think Pulis/Megson will teach him to defend at this point of time is a touch optimistic.   Either we won't start him or we will and he will be dropped when he has his first defensive nightmare probably after we play City in the league cup.

I want to be wrong I really do but this doesn't feel right.
I'm sorry I can't agree with you analysis. Where I do agree is that it is bizare. Where does he admit he can't defend? If he played many of the 200 appearances for Arsenal in the Champions League if he couldn't defend how did he play so many? And by this logic Hegazi is now finished at the club.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #170 on: September 02, 2017, 12:21:07 AM »
Being crying out for recognised left back for years and I'm delighted to get Gibbs. He can defend and he's got pace which should come in handy when counter attacking, like a lot of gooners players he's lost his way a little bit in last few years

vrabbit

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #171 on: September 12, 2017, 03:39:43 PM »
there's no other true LB on the roster that can do what Gibbs did on the only goal against Brighton, one-timing a through pass from Krychowiak to put in a perfect cross into the box. Start him at LB with Brunt also on his side to aid defensively.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #172 on: September 12, 2017, 06:29:19 PM »
so we only paid £5m for him. unbelievable figure in todays market for someone of his quality and experience.

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/901664140?-11200:789:0

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #173 on: September 12, 2017, 07:05:36 PM »
Yes it was a bit of a strange saga. Pulis saying that he spoke to Steve Bould and Gerry Peyton (GK coach) before signing him.....not sure where the story of dodgy character references came from.

barnestormer

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #174 on: September 12, 2017, 07:57:20 PM »
so we only paid £5m for him. unbelievable figure in todays market for someone of his quality and experience.

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/901664140?-11200:789:0
Will be if Pulis plays him as he's already making noises and excuses saying he isn't up to scratch fitness wise or drilled enough yet,then that 5M will be another chunk of wasted money again ala macnananan