Author Topic: Callum Robinson  (Read 170091 times)

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

Re: Callum Robinson (on loan from Sheff. Utd.)
« Reply #200 on: July 23, 2020, 02:23:04 PM »
Just looks a poor player to me. No real pace, not got a trick and can't finish. There is much, much better out there.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Webby

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #201 on: July 23, 2020, 02:48:26 PM »
When he missed that 1 on 1 I wanted to literally cry
Love, Live, Life, and I'm dead. - "Weezy F. Baby"

miggybaggy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #202 on: July 23, 2020, 04:40:38 PM »
I agree with that Webby, he should have scored, but my argument in his favour would be that our alternative strikers don't have the natural footballing intelligence or quality of off-the-ball movement to find themselves in that situation in the first place.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #203 on: July 23, 2020, 08:25:39 PM »
Hal would have been tackled and Austin would have shot as soon as he got it.

He should have scored but I wouldn't take that miss as indicative of his shooting skills. Austin took the **** right out of Robinson for that miss, you don't do that if it was as well as could be expected.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 10:24:05 PM by LiamTheBaggie »

glosterbaggie

• WBA Coach

« Reply #204 on: July 23, 2020, 08:31:18 PM »
Hal would have been tackled and Austin would have shot as soon as he got it.

He should have scored but I wouldn't take that miss as indicative of his shooting skills. Austin took the **** right out of Robinson for that miss, you don't do that if it was as well as could be expected.
Austin would be getting there about now!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 10:24:16 PM by LiamTheBaggie »
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell"
"You can't put a price on being able too live with yourself"As I said to a tory MP

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #205 on: July 23, 2020, 08:35:48 PM »
I like him as a character and I thought that was one of the more mobile and offered better options that any of our other forwards this season. Loved his celebrations last night.

However as I said a week or two ago, I don’t really know what his game is. It’s not really pace, it’s not really as a finisher, or a back to goal player, no 10, or a winger. I think he is intelligent, has a good touch and is very mobile though, and would be a worthwhile addition as a squad player next year but I’m not sure he’s what we need as a starter in our team next season.

I guess in the end if he’s available and it’s not a huge chunk of our budget then he could be worth a punt. We do need to remember that we have a weak squad in his kind of position if you were to assume that Phillips isn’t good enough, Diangana is gone and Grosicki is best used on the bench. 

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #206 on: July 23, 2020, 08:42:57 PM »
I think he's currently better than our other 3 options up front in HRK, Austin and Zohore, with that in mind I would buy him at the quoted price of £8 million which is fairly reasonable for today's market. He's only 24 too so has good resale value if needed in the future.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #207 on: July 23, 2020, 08:48:24 PM »
I’d take him, but not for the £6 - 8m Sheffield United paid for him, at most, the lower end of that valuation
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #208 on: July 23, 2020, 10:29:32 PM »
I think he's currently better than our other 3 options up front in HRK, Austin and Zohore,

That’s not very hard to be honest.

We also shouldn’t use that as a barometer for our recruitment.

He’s been an ok addition with no stand out attributes to his game. Nor has he succeeded in nailing down a particular position.

Given the money quoted, we should put that to use elsewhere IMO
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

KingKoren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #209 on: July 23, 2020, 10:36:44 PM »
I wouldn't pay any more money than Sheffield United paid for him but at around that price or marginally less he'd be a useful addition to the squad. I don't think that is likely to happen so I'd move on personally and wish him well, he'll probably end up back at Villa.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #210 on: July 24, 2020, 09:27:50 PM »
Just posted a picture on Instagram and he’s still in his match shirt  ;D ;D

TheBaggieMan

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #211 on: July 24, 2020, 09:45:59 PM »
Just looks a poor player to me. No real pace, not got a trick and can't finish. There is much, much better out there.

Seems a nice bloke but isn’t there as a Premiership player more like a bucket full of parrot droppings.

West Brom 2023/24
Has Sticky the Stick Insect finally got unstuck from that sticky bun?
Great stuff under Corberan - keep it up Baggies!

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #212 on: July 25, 2020, 06:50:03 AM »
It's been fun watching him celebrate and seeing his passion but we need to cut any emotion out of this and be realistic. Is he a premier league player? Probably not Sheffield United were quick to give him to us on loan and Wilder doesn't sound to bothered about losing him this summer based off of what he said yesterday. It was more of a come and get him as opposed to a hands off. I'd wish him luck and both parties go separate ways.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #213 on: July 25, 2020, 10:19:31 AM »
I like him, get the deal done and convert him to a striker

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #214 on: July 25, 2020, 10:31:10 AM »
Just £6m on Robinson...
Just £6m on Krovinoivc...
Just £15 on Grady...

Suddenly we’ve spent just 80% of our transfer budget on just getting the same side out on the pitch.

We need to do better than that.

cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #215 on: July 25, 2020, 10:49:42 AM »
We have a lot to do just to stand still due to all of the loans we had.

Makes you wonder how many loans we will have this year, which would be a concern..
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #216 on: July 25, 2020, 10:53:18 AM »
And that's why we need to spend as it's always the result of having good quality on loan players.

Another way to look at it is...

We don't sign any of those players, but we still need to replace them else we go into the season with a worse team.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #217 on: July 25, 2020, 12:15:32 PM »
Just £6m on Robinson...
Just £15 on Grady...

Suddenly we’ve spent just 80% of our transfer budget on just getting the same side out on the pitch.

Ferguson should cover Krov. Consider it a swop in essence.

The club will have made a healthy profit last season even after losing some money on Covid19 it just hasn't been announced. It was said there was around 15m of the transfer budget not touched. Take off a few million for Covid19 so I'd guess we have 10m plus PL TV money to come. I think it will be more than 30m. I'd hope around 50m but it's all just gues work.

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #218 on: July 25, 2020, 12:16:10 PM »
Just £6m on Robinson...
Just £15 on Grady...

This would be purchasing some of the key elements to a promotion winning squad, three players at the right age with potential to improve.   Rather this than blowing the money on wages for players coming towards the end of their careers with "experience".   For me, our priority should be to build a squad with players that will either increase in value due to having a decent Prem season or be ready for another crack at the Champ should we not survive.   We don't yet know if COVID has effected the market and it will be interesting to see the £££ values that start getting bandied about.   Gut instinct is that these would be good players to make permanent at these prices.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 12:19:02 PM by Oldbury24 »

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #219 on: July 25, 2020, 12:37:59 PM »
Just posted a picture on Instagram and he’s still in his match shirt  ;D ;D

I admire his excitement and his eagerness to continue his celebrations but I still would not be signing him on a permanent deal
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #220 on: July 25, 2020, 01:37:24 PM »
This would be purchasing some of the key elements to a promotion winning squad, three players at the right age with potential to improve.   Rather this than blowing the money on wages for players coming towards the end of their careers with "experience".   For me, our priority should be to build a squad with players that will either increase in value due to having a decent Prem season or be ready for another crack at the Champ should we not survive.   We don't yet know if COVID has effected the market and it will be interesting to see the £££ values that start getting bandied about.   Gut instinct is that these would be good players to make permanent at these prices.

Ok, so let’s say you now have the squad that finished the season. What positions need to then be strengthened and how much money is left to do it, £10m or so?

The best you thought we could find for £12m of the money you’ve already spent  included CR and naughty word. That doesn’t inspire much confidence youll fill the other 5 gaps with any great quality with the money left.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #221 on: July 25, 2020, 02:51:50 PM »
But let's say we refuse to resign Robinson, Krov and Diangana, combined with losing Brunt and Barry.  We've now got 5 players, minimum, to replace, just to get us back to the numbers we had this season.  And we've not even started to replace the front 3, the keeper, defenders, any CM's.

So what's the plan for that?  We've just managed to 'save' £20m by not signing those players, but you've still got to replace them, so you've still got to spend *some* money.

The problem can only be solved by spending some money or taking more players on loan (which just kicks the can further down the road).

£8-£9m gets you nothing in the Premiership these days, it barely gets you top 6 championship quality.

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #222 on: July 25, 2020, 02:55:41 PM »
But let's say we refuse to resign Robinson, Krov and Diangana, combined with losing Brunt and Barry.  We've now got 5 players, minimum, to replace, just to get us back to the numbers we had this season.  And we've not even started to replace the front 3, the keeper, defenders, any CM's.

So what's the plan for that?  We've just managed to 'save' £20m by not signing those players, but you've still got to replace them, so you've still got to spend *some* money.

The problem can only be solved by spending some money or taking more players on loan (which just kicks the can further down the road).

£8-£9m gets you nothing in the Premiership these days, it barely gets you top 6 championship quality.

Why do we need to replace Brunt and Barry? They barely played at all. Particularly Barry was an irrelevance.

We have 8 less games too, the need for a large squad for us in the premier is overstated. We'll very rarely have more than one game a week.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #223 on: July 25, 2020, 03:01:14 PM »
Why do we need to replace Brunt and Barry? They barely played at all. Particularly Barry was an irrelevance.

We have 8 less games too, the need for a large squad for us in the premier is overstated. We'll very rarely have more than one game a week.

Yeah theres still too many people in the squad who are non-contributors. Would rather have quality not quantity.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #224 on: July 25, 2020, 03:13:36 PM »

Fair point, and I don't think we'd need to replace like for like (as in aging and experienced), but it would still mean we're down on numbers in midfield.  Our CM options would be Livermore, Sawyers and Harper and that's it?  If we sign a new CM for competition or first choice, then we are actually replacing Brunt\Barry.