Author Topic: Guochuan Lai  (Read 2363220 times)

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

Re: Guochuan Lai
« Reply #6700 on: January 14, 2021, 07:43:07 AM »
Not sure about this Campbell fella, his background seems to be more in property than sport.
He's said to 'be leading a consortium' so seems to be playing with other peoples money.
Whoever takes us over won't want to pay what Lai wants.
I think we're in for a bumpy few years.

His background is highly suspect to me, a 'very successful' business man with no UK business footprint to speak of. This is the sort of individual we do not want at the club.
MAGA!

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6701 on: January 14, 2021, 07:50:32 AM »
I worst part about it all for me is that Lai won’t give a hoot to who he sells it too, as long as he gets as much of his money back as possible then he will be happy.

Can’t say I trust the premier league to do the appropriate checks either.

Could be a bumpy few years ahead.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #6702 on: January 14, 2021, 09:19:30 AM »
West Brom owner Guochuan Lai's loan interest hits £1million

Source: https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2021/01/14/west-brom-owner-guochuan-lais-loan-interest-hits-1million/

That's £5m now, but who is going to repay it? The current owner or the anticipated new owner?
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #6703 on: January 14, 2021, 09:20:08 AM »
I worst part about it all for me is that Lai won’t give a hoot to who he sells it too, as long as he gets as much of his money back as possible then he will be happy.

Neither did Peace.

We just have to cross our fingers that if he does sell, the people who buy the club aren't simply chances, but instead are a consortium who have a clear plan.
Boing Boing

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6704 on: January 14, 2021, 09:25:32 AM »

Source: https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2021/01/14/west-brom-owner-guochuan-lais-loan-interest-hits-1million/

That's £5m now, but who is going to repay it? The current owner or the anticipated new owner?

Depends if the liability is transferred over. I would hazard a guess it is wiped out one way or another upon a sale.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6705 on: January 14, 2021, 09:26:40 AM »

Exactly the same as Mr Peace, Lai will sell to the first person who dumps a big bag of silver on his desk.....

MAGA!

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #6706 on: January 14, 2021, 09:40:03 AM »
Only speed read this but the article linked below is worth bearing in mind.....

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/rokerreport.sbnation.com/platform/amp/2020/7/15/21324189/the-key-players-linked-with-mark-campbells-alleged-sunderland-takeover

I didn't necessarily mean good when I said interesting  ;D, he does seem to be associated with a couple of decent football people though.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

victor mature

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #6707 on: January 14, 2021, 10:20:13 AM »
I know we can't do any
thing about it but I'd rather stick with our present owner than enter into a Wolves type spiral with dodgy owners. My worry is that we don't know long term the effect Covid will have on the viability of football.   it's more likely that the potential buyers in this current climate will be leveraged buy out merchants and asset strippers.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6708 on: January 14, 2021, 10:47:59 AM »
Usually these media hungry want to be football owners are all mouth and no trousers, hoping Lia is desperate for cash upfront which should be a problem for this consortium.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6709 on: January 14, 2021, 10:52:12 AM »
Do we know the identity of other two bids? Read a while back that American sports company had tentative talks that went no where, don't believe it was this bloke as it would be all over the media.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6710 on: January 14, 2021, 11:31:20 AM »

As I understand it, WBAFC have a debt of £23 million to WBA Holdings (wholly owned by GL). This £23 million is not subject to interest charges & is not expected to be called in

It's also the holding company who have the debt of a £3.7 million loan to WBAFC (subject to an annual interest charge of 5% above BoE base rate.). The value of the loan is now around £4.5 million.

If that's the case, then there is still a balance of circa £18.5 million in the holding companies favour.

In effect, the interest on the loan is reducing the value of the £23 million debt.

If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #6711 on: January 14, 2021, 11:32:31 AM »
Chris Lepowski said JP did sell us for well over £200m and that the premier league are still investigating our ownership, i wondered who raised the concern to the premier league about ownership? Surely its not just a fan messaged them and told them to look into it else you could have time wasters doing that all the time!

Its all cloak and dagger, as somebody said previous i wonder if Campbells media team (or probably himself!) put this in the media, his is the only bidder named and i wonder if he is trying to add credence by saying there are two others.

As for Lai, i dont think he has done much wrong money wise, he said business as normal and it has been, we got relegated and he cut costs which is quite normal, he is an investor not a cash point. I think had we stayed in the premier league it would of been very similar to the JP years, nothing team just trying to stave off relegation, however for him financially he took one hell of a hit within a year!

I think they probably did have some sort of rough plan when we went down by getting a director of football in, appointing younger managers, better football, etc but i think with us being promoted, covid affect, etc it seems maybe they have just decided to sell now rather than wait, hence the plan going out the window and Big Sam coming in.

I think where he messed up was his appointments, on the face of it John Williams and somebody Goodman i think it was (not Don!) should of been decent, football men, had similar roles but it went badly wrong, we had that Terraneo bloke as well, and i am not sure what this Ken bloke does.

Mark Jenkins seems to be crucial to Albion, when he left under JP we went downhill, Lai got him back, we got promoted, he left again and this season we seem a shambles, i know Jenkins is disliked by some but at least we seemed pretty efficient and knew where we stood, i havent a clue with Ken.

As for new owners, i dont see a west bromwich ambramovic coming in, we are more likely to get a Lai -  an investor. In many ways for the new investor we may be better being taken over in the championship as they can buy for less and have the scope to make money if we got back to the premier league, there is always a big IF that will happen though!

Problem with being taken over as a premier league club, the profits you make are i assume not huge, for clubs like Albion who are pretty much maxed out you just small but regular profit which is okay when your in the premier league, the issue is your one bad season from that all changing as Lai can vouch for.

I would be sceptical about Burnleys takeover, borrowing large amounts of money to acquire clubs of that size (and ours) is a worry, its different if your one of the big boys, at least Lai brought us outright even with the £4m loan which is minimal in football terms. Also Derby are supposedly being taken over, its mean to of gone through start of December, it still hasnt  and staff (including players) were paid late for December and still now have only received 50% and also been told Januarys wages wont arrive on time.

There seems doubt about the Arab buyer, he still owes money for fees owed when attempting to takeover Newcastle, ideally you want like Leicesters owners, wealthy but who buy into not just the club, but the whole area, community and genuinely seem to care about the club.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 11:35:10 AM by Albion79 »

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6712 on: January 14, 2021, 11:42:40 AM »
Chris Lepowski said JP did sell us for well over £200m and that the premier league are still investigating our ownership, i wondered who raised the concern to the premier league about ownership? Surely its not just a fan messaged them and told them to look into it else you could have time wasters doing that all the time!

I believe it is the shareholder group 79, there was discussion about this a few weeks ago. From memory there was a suggestion that ownership had been 'transferred' to a Chinese businesswoman. Her name escapes me at the moment but I think it has proven to be unfounded.
MAGA!

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6713 on: January 14, 2021, 12:01:23 PM »
I believe it is the shareholder group 79, there was discussion about this a few weeks ago. From memory there was a suggestion that ownership had been 'transferred' to a Chinese businesswoman. Her name escapes me at the moment but I think it has proven to be unfounded.

Is Lepkowski still banging that drum? I thought he had swiftly dropped it.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6714 on: January 14, 2021, 12:10:39 PM »

As others have said, I believe it's S4A that's raised the issue.

What I find strange is CL's comments about JP selling us for well over £200 million & then insisting that Lai is not a (pound sterling) billionaire.

As far as the ownership of the business in concerned Lai's name is still shown as the "person with significant control" on the companies house website.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

baggies_24

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #6715 on: January 14, 2021, 12:21:12 PM »

Its all cloak and dagger, as somebody said previous i wonder if Campbells media team (or probably himself!) put this in the media, his is the only bidder named and i wonder if he is trying to add credence by saying there are two others.

As for Lai, i dont think he has done much wrong money wise, he said business as normal and it has been, we got relegated and he cut costs which is quite normal, he is an investor not a cash point. I think had we stayed in the premier league it would of been very similar to the JP years, nothing team just trying to stave off relegation, however for him financially he took one hell of a hit within a year!

I think they probably did have some sort of rough plan when we went down by getting a director of football in, appointing younger managers, better football, etc but i think with us being promoted, covid affect, etc it seems maybe they have just decided to sell now rather than wait, hence the plan going out the window and Big Sam coming in.

I think where he messed up was his appointments, on the face of it John Williams and somebody Goodman i think it was (not Don!) should of been decent, football men, had similar roles but it went badly wrong, we had that Terraneo bloke as well, and i am not sure what this Ken bloke does.

Mark Jenkins seems to be crucial to Albion, when he left under JP we went downhill, Lai got him back, we got promoted, he left again and this season we seem a shambles, i know Jenkins is disliked by some but at least we seemed pretty efficient and knew where we stood, i havent a clue with Ken.

As for new owners, i dont see a west bromwich ambramovic coming in, we are more likely to get a Lai -  an investor. In many ways for the new investor we may be better being taken over in the championship as they can buy for less and have the scope to make money if we got back to the premier league, there is always a big IF that will happen though!

Problem with being taken over as a premier league club, the profits you make are i assume not huge, for clubs like Albion who are pretty much maxed out you just small but regular profit which is okay when your in the premier league, the issue is your one bad season from that all changing as Lai can vouch for.

I would be sceptical about Burnleys takeover, borrowing large amounts of money to acquire clubs of that size (and ours) is a worry, its different if your one of the big boys, at least Lai brought us outright even with the £4m loan which is minimal in football terms. Also Derby are supposedly being taken over, its mean to of gone through start of December, it still hasnt  and staff (including players) were paid late for December and still now have only received 50% and also been told Januarys wages wont arrive on time.

There seems doubt about the Arab buyer, he still owes money for fees owed when attempting to takeover Newcastle, ideally you want like Leicesters owners, wealthy but who buy into not just the club, but the whole area, community and genuinely seem to care about the club.

This is where my serious issue with Lai is I’m not expecting him to come in & plough money into the club but as an investor I do expect him to make smart decisions, put smart people in key positions & strategies in place. Southampton are a huge case in point Chinese ownership who can’t / won’t invest in the club however they are miles ahead of us in terms of recruitment & long term strategy.

Every hire Lai has made he’s got horribly wrong, I have no problem with him maintaining that the club should be self sufficient that’s almost a relief that it is & we’re not hugely risking our financial future as the likes of Leeds, Everton, Villa etc. are if the owner one day decides to turn off the money tap. What I do expect is Lai to be smart, he doesn’t have to know a lot about football but as an investor he should be surrounding himself with smart people who do know how to run a club & can put strategies & systems in place to give the club some direction which is exactly what the likes of Southampton have done.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #6716 on: January 14, 2021, 12:24:51 PM »
Yeah it's not the fact he hasn't pumped millions in, it's the fact he came in and switched off and plunged us into relative disaster.

This is a club that needs someone hands on. We all get things wrong from time to time but he's resided over failure after failure all because he's the embodiment of hands off.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6717 on: January 14, 2021, 12:26:11 PM »
This is where my serious issue with Lai is I’m not expecting him to come in & plough money into the club but as an investor I do expect him to make smart decisions, put smart people in key positions & strategies in place. Southampton are a huge case in point Chinese ownership who can’t / won’t invest in the club however they are miles ahead of us in terms of recruitment & long term strategy.

Every hire Lai has made he’s got horribly wrong, I have no problem with him maintaining that the club should be self sufficient that’s almost a relief that it is & we’re not hugely risking our financial future as the likes of Leeds, Everton, Villa etc. are if the owner one day decides to turn off the money tap. What I do expect is Lai to be smart, he doesn’t have to know a lot about football but as an investor he should be surrounding himself with smart people who do know how to run a club & can put strategies & systems in place to give the club some direction which is exactly what the likes of Southampton have done.

That's way too sensible for this club 24, but I like your thinking......
MAGA!

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6718 on: January 14, 2021, 12:27:13 PM »
.......There are clubs out there who I would love us to emulate. The obvious example is Leicester City, where the King Power group have been excellent (not so much for their fortuitous league title, but more what has followed since).........

It would appear that even Leicester's owners need a little helping hand every now and again.......

https://mobile.twitter.com/mjshrimper/status/1349017760802754560

........ Macquarie are getting about a bit.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #6719 on: January 14, 2021, 12:50:13 PM »
Football ownership seems like a murky world. Whatever we think of Lai the idea of a new owner seems more scary than exciting these days. Man City, Chelsea, Wolves etc have benefitted but there are so many horror stories (Blackburn, Charlton, Blues, Leeds etc). There is no talk of an investor who will plough millions into Albion the same way Man City did.
I would love someone to take us forward and bring a sense of ambition to Albion. The idea that we exist get 17th in the prem is a sad state of affairs. The trouble is reading the reports it actually could be a lot worse.

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6720 on: January 14, 2021, 01:08:58 PM »
Football ownership seems like a murky world. Whatever we think of Lai the idea of a new owner seems more scary than exciting these days. Man City, Chelsea, Wolves etc have benefitted but there are so many horror stories (Blackburn, Charlton, Blues, Leeds etc). There is no talk of an investor who will plough millions into Albion the same way Man City did.
I would love someone to take us forward and bring a sense of ambition to Albion. The idea that we exist get 17th in the prem is a sad state of affairs. The trouble is reading the reports it actually could be a lot worse.

I would think if you were an investor and had £200m to spunk then there are better deals than the Albion. I'd take a punt on Bristol City, nice ground, huge catchment area (not landlocked with clubs like other areas) or Norwich/Ipswich.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6721 on: January 14, 2021, 01:35:26 PM »
Its probably too much to hope that a new owner would have any genuine affinity to West Brom or the region, but at least it must be someone who is willing to think long-term. The very last thing we need is some fly-by-night operator who thinks he can get in and out making a big profit on the way. Nearly all property developers fall into that category.
We need someone who can give the club stability investing for the long term.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Baggie79

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6722 on: January 14, 2021, 01:36:57 PM »
Come back Jeremy all is forgiven. At least he had a plan and stuck to it whether you liked the plan is a personal decision.
Gera, Gera, Gera

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6723 on: January 14, 2021, 01:38:29 PM »
As others have said, I believe it's S4A that's raised the issue.

What I find strange is CL's comments about JP selling us for well over £200 million & then insisting that Lai is not a (pound sterling) billionaire.

As far as the ownership of the business in concerned Lai's name is still shown as the "person with significant control" on the companies house website.

I don’t believe it was “well over £200m”.  Somewhere in the £175-200m range.

Lai was openly part of a consortium, not the sole owner, but he was the confirmed front person of the consortium so is named as the controller.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6724 on: January 14, 2021, 01:39:41 PM »
I would think if you were an investor and had £200m to spunk then there are better deals than the Albion. I'd take a punt on Bristol City, nice ground, huge catchment area (not landlocked with clubs like other areas) or Norwich/Ipswich.

Bristol City ironically have a billionaire owner and a superb one too, Steve Lansdown.