Author Topic: Craig Dawson  (Read 460035 times)

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

Re: Craig Dawson
« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2011, 09:13:57 AM »
Scott Dann not the best example to use as Dawson is coming from League One to the Premiership. If he is good enough then Roy will play him, he gave Chris Smalling his chance when young at Fulham and I think they got him from a non league club.

Dawson was very highly rated and wanted by other Premier League clubs when we signed him so hopefully he will become a success here.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2011, 09:40:42 AM »
I think we will see hiim play a lot mroe games nearer the end of the season, maybe last 10 games.

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2011, 11:33:31 AM »
Really pleased to see Dawson and Thorne start last night, glad they had good games.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

mini gaardsoe

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2011, 05:06:54 PM »
Fantastic for the lad!

No Thorne though  :o

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2011, 05:09:32 PM »
Plays all season for Rochdale - doesnt get called up. Joins up with us and after 1 first team game in the league cup he gets called up.

Surely he could have been called up last season? same goes for Cleverley, Wellbeck and Kelly being considered for England duty after 1 or 2 games for Liverpool and Man Utd.

Players getting call ups based on the club they play for nowadays rather than genuine scouting.
Boing Boing

Mooncat

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2011, 08:08:07 PM »
Hope that Dawson is next on the 'imporved contract' list - whilst it's early days to be saying he'll be the next big thing, the only thing a call up does is raise his profile to other teams (Although anyone with a half decent scouting system should already be aware of him)

Kicking Pigeons

« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2011, 08:10:36 PM »
Well done to him.

How many players we had in England under 21 squads in recent years? Miller was the last one I believe, has there been anyone else?

KingKoren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2011, 08:49:17 PM »
Well done to him.

How many players we had in England under 21 squads in recent years? Miller was the last one I believe, has there been anyone else?

Curtis Davies.

Will be a big boost to his confidence, have very high hopes for this lad.

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2011, 08:52:42 PM »
Luke Moore played for them when he was on loan as well, I think Miller got called up once or twice, but I don't think he ever actually played. I remember the one he was due to against Poland, he was injured for.

bobcracker

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #59 on: August 24, 2011, 09:49:56 PM »
Good stuff, although if you want to play for England anytime soon centre half is just about the hardest place to get in. Smalling, Jones, Cahill are just the young ones, with Jagielka and Lescott just a bit older.

duncan

« Reply #60 on: August 24, 2011, 10:29:20 PM »
Well done to him. Hope to see him stake a claim for a 1st team place

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #61 on: August 24, 2011, 10:54:07 PM »
Hope that Dawson is next on the 'imporved contract' list - whilst it's early days to be saying he'll be the next big thing, the only thing a call up does is raise his profile to other teams (Although anyone with a half decent scouting system should already be aware of him)
I so love contradictions. ;D
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

Kicking Pigeons

« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2011, 03:45:46 AM »
Curtis Davies.
Oh yeah, duh. How did I forget about Davies? ::)

Answering my own question here but I think Richard Chaplow had a few call ups and even won a cap when he was here. He also made his Albion début at 20 and was a regular in season we were relegated with Robson. However he turned out to be pretty rubbish which shows that winning accolades at a young age doesn't mean the player will turn out good. Mattock's another one who got called up. I hope we have good players who'll mature into great players in Dawson and Thorne but it's probably best not to get too excited yet.

WSBaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2011, 10:27:04 AM »
Don't get me wrong but he plays one game for us and gets in the squad? This is what's wrong with our national team.

baggieboyjop

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #64 on: August 25, 2011, 04:47:25 PM »
Very good for dawson, should do his confidence the world of good. Hopefully he can fulfill his potential and become a top player for us. Time will tell
I hate stoke, i hate newcastle more than i hate stoke, i hate andy carrol more than i hate newcastle, i hate v*lla more than i hate andy carrol but i hate the dingles most of all. Albion till i die

wba1993dave

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #65 on: August 26, 2011, 10:23:05 PM »
I bet JP will love it if he breaks into the first team and does fantastic , who's to say he wont be worth 20 million in 2 years time :P :P
BOING BOING

kie the baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #66 on: August 26, 2011, 10:59:02 PM »
i would like to see him parnter jonas right now, 21 isnt to young nowadays.

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #67 on: August 26, 2011, 11:03:51 PM »
Don't get me wrong but he plays one game for us and gets in the squad? This is what's wrong with our national team.

A bit unfair, a lot of the under 21 team from last year are now too old. He's only being selected now due to people like Smalling, Richards, and Mancienne being too old for selection.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 11:06:08 PM by Dan »

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #68 on: August 27, 2011, 12:48:51 AM »
A bit unfair, a lot of the under 21 team from last year are now too old. He's only being selected now due to people like Smalling, Richards, and Mancienne being too old for selection.
spoil sport, the lad has been tracked by a good few clubs before we nipped in so pearce would of had him on his radar for a while. :-*

off_foo_182

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #69 on: August 27, 2011, 09:45:58 AM »
put him in against Stoke. See what he is made of...  ;D

I think he should play this season though, but I'd rather it came through Dawson being amazing in training than waiting for a defensive mess up.

Sussex-Baggie

« Reply #70 on: August 27, 2011, 10:44:49 AM »
Bearing in mind he was playing Non-League football for Radcliffe Borough just three years ago, this is a brilliant achievement for Craig Dawson.

I thought his performance at Bournemouth on Tuesday was okay, but I don't think that he will have been picked just on the back of that. He received rave reviews from the vast majority of Rochdale fans throughout his time there, so I would have thought this call-up has been in the pipeline for a little while now.

Hopefully he will get some time on the pitch for the Under 21's, as it would only boost his confidence ahead of the rest of the season with us.

RowleyBaggie2

• WBA Manager

« Reply #71 on: September 01, 2011, 01:34:14 PM »
Good luck to Craig Dawson.

Let's hope the fans on the international scene have more faith in him than some of ours have.
I only go for the beer.

Lloydy

• WBA Manager

« Reply #72 on: September 01, 2011, 01:36:18 PM »
No one is writing him off but you can't argue against the fact that it is a massive gamble if we have to rely on a player who isn't even proven in the Championship.

Good luck to him tonight, I hope he proves to be a revelation.
No no, no no no no, no no no no, no no shots on target.......

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #73 on: September 01, 2011, 01:36:59 PM »
The guy has had an amazing last 3 years. It must all feel like a dream for him.

He has the potential to do very very well, but we can't put too much pressure on him or lambast any errors he may make at the start.

Good luck Dawson!
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

popbaggie28

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #74 on: September 01, 2011, 01:37:25 PM »
Good luck to Craig Dawson.

Let's hope the fans on the international scene have more faith in him than some of ours have.

Wasn`t aware he had been written off by people?? He hasnt played a prem game so a tad harsh to say he has been written off