Author Topic: Guochuan Lai  (Read 2362456 times)

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

Re: Guochuan Lai
« Reply #725 on: June 28, 2015, 09:57:02 AM »
To all those peace lovers, the man has always put his own interests firsts the mighty pound. How can a club which is an established Prem club still be in the bottom three when it comes to player recruitment and wages

sammyg

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #726 on: June 28, 2015, 10:03:37 AM »
I know someone at the club and even the people itk in the club know nothing.
The only thing they would say to me about it all was 'money' and that albion have a lot of money. But I suppose it is relative

Sounds positive! Hopefully will hear something this week

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #727 on: June 28, 2015, 10:31:22 AM »
To all those peace lovers, the man has always put his own interests firsts the mighty pound. How can a club which is an established Prem club still be in the bottom three when it comes to player recruitment and wages

It could also be argued that while JP has been, as you suggest, looking after himself and his money, he has also found the time to lead Albion to becoming an established Prem club.

It hasn't happened by accident you know, he must be doing something right.
Born Baggie. Die disheartened.

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #728 on: June 28, 2015, 10:35:11 AM »

What you've done there is prove that you don't need to spend money to be an established Premier League club and that Peace is good at what he does. You've proven there is no correlation between needing to spend big to become established. I feel you've struggled to get to grips with your own argument.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #729 on: June 28, 2015, 11:07:33 AM »
We are one of the least wealthiest clubs in the division and we have managed to stay in the division for 5 straight years. We spend a bigger proportion of our income on wages than any other club in the division to enable us to compete with teams that have £20m to £30m a year coming in without the need to be underwritten by a wealthy backer (a very mixed blessing). We are not in debt and should the worse happen and we are relegated we would not be teetering on the brink of administration.

Do I love Peace? No because he is not that loveable wealthy businessmen generally aren't but you have to respect that as an achievement. I sincerely hope if there are new owners they can build on that legacy and in five years time we are not looking back at the Peace era as a golden age.

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Adamstv

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #730 on: June 28, 2015, 11:51:39 AM »
We are one of the least wealthiest clubs in the division and we have managed to stay in the division for 5 straight years. We spend a bigger proportion of our income on wages than any other club in the division to enable us to compete with teams that have £20m to £30m a year coming in without the need to be underwritten by a wealthy backer (a very mixed blessing). We are not in debt and should the worse happen and we are relegated we would not be teetering on the brink of administration.

Do I love Peace? No because he is not that loveable wealthy businessmen generally aren't but you have to respect that as an achievement. I sincerely hope if there are new owners they can build on that legacy and in five years time we are not looking back at the Peace era as a golden age.

That is an excellent post. What we and Peace has achieved on the budgets we have is a tremendous compliment to the powers that be. We have not chased the impossible dream(top6position) but have stabilised ourselves. Yes he has made mistakes  and he has admitted as such ( don't see Mike Ashley doing that) and he has tried to correct them. It will again be another tough season in the Prem but whatever happens we are on a stronger platform than we have been for many years.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 03:40:17 PM by LiamTheBaggie »

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #731 on: June 28, 2015, 12:06:50 PM »
What you've done there is prove that you don't need to spend money to be an established Premier League club and that Peace is good at what he does. You've proven there is no correlation between needing to spend big to become established. I feel you've struggled to get to grips with your own argument.

I think what he is saying is that despite us being an established premiership team, we can go no further under Jeremy.
Yes Jeremy made us a wealthy club, but we all know and so does Jeremy himself, that under his continued leadership we will be having relegation battles every season and one of these season's our luck will run out.
Even little clubs like Bournemouth are spending more money than us, because they know they are in the best league in the world.

We aren't moving on, player/playing wise. Having money is no guarantee the future is going to be rosy.

We should all be grateful for what Mr Peace has made us, but he has not the power to move us that one step further.
I am not talking about winning the league or champions league stuff, but being a good mid table side and having some decent cup runs. At the moment we have neither the quality or depth of squad to do either.

A change of owner is always a big big gamble, and we could just as easily be worse off than better off. But sometimes you have to take a gamble to progress.

Mr Peace has said he will only sell to someone who has the club's interests and traditions a a priority.
If he does that then we can all look back at our tranformation as a success, and acknowledge the remarkable job Mr Peace has done for us.

Should Mr Peace tay and we eventually go back to the chapionhip, then he will poil the great picture he has painted.

I for one am hoping for a new dawn.

Apologies for the grammar, sticky key problem.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 12:09:29 PM by divinewind »

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #732 on: June 28, 2015, 12:17:43 PM »
And the problem with that?
If you don't like him , buy him out its that simple.
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #733 on: June 28, 2015, 12:37:47 PM »
And the problem with that?
If you don't like him , buy him out its that simple.
what with my own money not like peace

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #734 on: June 28, 2015, 12:40:20 PM »
It could also be argued that while JP has been, as you suggest, looking after himself and his money, he has also found the time to lead Albion to becoming an established Prem club.

It hasn't happened by accident you know, he must be doing something right.
no your history mate peace didn't get us into Prem Paul Thompson did

ian66

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #735 on: June 28, 2015, 12:42:43 PM »
Chipperfan said established.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #736 on: June 28, 2015, 12:48:40 PM »
Chipperfan said established.
took us along time to become established as a relegation candidate ever season under your friend.

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #737 on: June 28, 2015, 12:49:42 PM »

Know your grammar mate. As Ian said, I didn't say JP led us to the Prem, I said he had led us to being established.

ian66

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #738 on: June 28, 2015, 12:59:46 PM »
took us along time to become established as a relegation candidate ever season under your friend.
Whether it took a long time or not, we are where we are, about to start our 6th consecutive season in the top flight.

That's with JP as chairman, you can't give credit to Paul Thompson for that his been gone 14 years!

Mo

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #739 on: June 28, 2015, 01:01:16 PM »
I think what he is saying is that despite us being an established premiership team, we can go no further under Jeremy.
Yes Jeremy made us a wealthy club, but we all know and so does Jeremy himself, that under his continued leadership we will be having relegation battles every season and one of these season's our luck will run out.
Even little clubs like Bournemouth are spending more money than us, because they know they are in the best league in the world.

We aren't moving on, player/playing wise. Having money is no guarantee the future is going to be rosy.

We should all be grateful for what Mr Peace has made us, but he has not the power to move us that one step further.
I am not talking about winning the league or champions league stuff, but being a good mid table side and having some decent cup runs. At the moment we have neither the quality or depth of squad to do either.

A change of owner is always a big big gamble, and we could just as easily be worse off than better off. But sometimes you have to take a gamble to progress.

Mr Peace has said he will only sell to someone who has the club's interests and traditions a a priority.
If he does that then we can all look back at our tranformation as a success, and acknowledge the remarkable job Mr Peace has done for us.

Should Mr Peace tay and we eventually go back to the chapionhip, then he will poil the great picture he has painted.

I for one am hoping for a new dawn.

Apologies for the grammar, sticky key problem.

Well said , an excellent post .

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #740 on: June 28, 2015, 01:01:20 PM »
Know your grammar mate. As Ian said, I didn't say JP led us to the Prem, I said he had led us to being established.
Your mate told us when he took us over that we would be a top ten team with in five years

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #741 on: June 28, 2015, 01:06:25 PM »
Where's this relegation candidate rubbish come from. Unless people mean we're on of 13 teams that could go down we've only been in real danger one of the five seasons. We're a solid midtable club now and without looking I imagine we're 7th or 8th favourites for the drop. This is as good as it gets. Accept it.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

ian66

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #742 on: June 28, 2015, 01:11:35 PM »
Where's this relegation candidate rubbish come from. Unless people mean we're on of 13 teams that could go down we've only been in real danger one of the five seasons. We're a solid midtable club now and without looking I imagine we're 7th or 8th favourites for the drop. This is as good as it gets. Accept it.
I agree, we are in a far healthier position than what we were all them years ago when we first got promoted.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #743 on: June 28, 2015, 01:25:27 PM »
"No" your spelling?
Couldn't care less who's money he used or wether he is making himself a tidy profit, how many times does anybody phone up Richard Branson and tell him that they don't agree with his business principles?
Fact is that Peace has done very well by the club and made himself some money on the process , I think you should all be grateful but that is , of course, just my opinion.
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #744 on: June 28, 2015, 01:26:50 PM »
We would have gone down last season if we had kept Irvine, another Peace appointment. It took fan pressure to get rid of Irvine and Downing and Keily.
We were bloody lucky to stay up last season, and without TP we would have gone.
Yes Mr Peace got  Pulis but why oh why did he have Irvine in the first place? What qualifications drew him to him?
We can't keep riding our luck like this.

Mr Peace is great at balancing the books, but has too much say in team matters of which he knows little. Dan Ashworth helped him  a great deal in that respect, but he is long gone.

Jeff Astle said in his book, Striker, that a football chairman should be like children, seen, but never heard, i agree.

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #745 on: June 28, 2015, 01:28:04 PM »
Your mate told us when he took us over that we would be a top ten team with in five years

Is that you admitting you were wrong about what I said? You know, changing the subject.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #746 on: June 28, 2015, 01:32:36 PM »
"No" your spelling?
Couldn't care less who's money he used or wether he is making himself a tidy profit, how many times does anybody phone up Richard Branson and tell him that they don't agree with his business principles?
Fact is that Peace has done very well by the club and made himself some money on the process , I think you should all be grateful but that is , of course, just my opinion.
you have got one fact right Peace has done bloody well out of this club as compering him to Branson you let yourself down

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #747 on: June 28, 2015, 01:37:19 PM »
Is that you admitting you were wrong about what I said? You know, changing the subject.
your great friends words not mine TOP TEN TEAM IN FIVE YEARS

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #748 on: June 28, 2015, 01:59:14 PM »
We would have gone down last season if we had kept Irvine, another Peace appointment. It took fan pressure to get rid of Irvine and Downing and Keily.
We were bloody lucky to stay up last season, and without TP we would have gone.
Yes Mr Peace got  Pulis but why oh why did he have Irvine in the first place? What qualifications drew him to him?
We can't keep riding our luck like this.

Mr Peace is great at balancing the books, but has too much say in team matters of which he knows little. Dan Ashworth helped him  a great deal in that respect, but he is long gone.

Jeff Astle said in his book, Striker, that a football chairman should be like children, seen, but never heard, i agree.
Couple of points.
1. We can only speculate whether we would have gone down under Irvine.
2. Point 1 is irrelevant because to not allow that to be in question Irvine was sacked and replaced by Pulis.

Fan pressure?  You're having a laugh.
.COM, allowing everyone the opportunity to have an opinion.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #749 on: June 28, 2015, 02:14:43 PM »
your great friends words not mine TOP TEN TEAM IN FIVE YEARS

Well if his friend said it that must prove you right that JP is a no good chairman!!

JP has been brilliant for us and that's provable by where we are now as a club compared to what we were as a club 10-12 years ago
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts