Author Topic: Director of Football  (Read 77218 times)

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

Re: Director of Football
« Reply #100 on: January 18, 2019, 01:12:22 PM »
Was he not the one who sold the players down the river about funding some free coaches?

Yep, he was the one. Puts the players in a no win situation
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #101 on: January 18, 2019, 01:23:00 PM »
Yes, strange isn't it ,The Assembly, a forum for fans, but no feedback on what appears to be the only thing of real interest on the Agenda.

Spot on!  :o
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #102 on: January 30, 2019, 12:02:02 AM »
Is part of this blokes job to find player's we can sign?

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #103 on: February 01, 2019, 12:26:30 AM »
Not impressed with the job this bloke is doing or is he being hamstrung by Jenkins and owner? Albion used to find a few gems which didn't cost the earth from around the lower leagues and in far flung places, Dorrans, Mulumbu, Yacob, Koren to name a few.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #104 on: February 01, 2019, 12:29:13 AM »
Not impressed with the job this bloke is doing or is he being hamstrung by Jenkins and owner? Albion used to find a few gems which didn't cost the earth from around the lower leagues and in far flung places, Dorrans, Mulumbu, Yacob, Koren to name a few.

What are you on about? We also signed Slusarski, Thievy, El Ghanassy, Cox, Beattie. Some absolute sh1te has come through the Albion as well as the successes. This has been a good window, you must be on the wind up. Who did you want in?

bradleysrocket

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #105 on: February 01, 2019, 12:29:46 AM »
I don’t care if a player is little known or world famous I only really care if they are capable of improving our match day squad. I’m confident the 4 players recruited this window will do exactly that. That’ll do for me. Furthermore I don’t think any other club in the division has had a better January.

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #106 on: February 01, 2019, 12:31:26 AM »

I don't really see the benefit of doing that in our position, if you can get people of proven top quality in this division why wouldn't you? Holgate is too good for this division, Gayle is along with Abraham the best striker in the division, Murphy earned a 12m pound move due to his performances in this division, Johansen was a key player for a team that won automatic promotion last year from this division, Montero proven ability as an impact player this season.....

All shrewd signings with little risk.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 12:33:09 AM by Dan »

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #107 on: February 01, 2019, 12:34:40 AM »
I don't really see the benefit of doing that in our position, if you can get people of proven top quality in this division why wouldn't you? Holgate is too good for this division, Gayle is along with Abraham the best striker in the division, Murphy earned a 12m pound move due to his performances in this division, Johansen was a key player for a team that won automatic promotion last year from this division.....

All shrewd signings with little risk.
all loan signings, that's my point haven't backed the manager with permanent deals.

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #108 on: February 01, 2019, 12:41:16 AM »
all loan signings, that's my point haven't backed the manager with permanent deals.

But most those players would be either too expensive or not available for permanent deals at all.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #109 on: February 01, 2019, 12:42:05 AM »

We wont be in this division next year, we dont want to be lumbered with anymore Championship players than absolutely necessary.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #110 on: February 01, 2019, 12:50:58 AM »

We wont be in this division next year, we dont want to be lumbered with anymore Championship players than absolutely necessary.
with the squad of players on the books tonight if we go up we would need a minimum of 8 players to fill the positions of all our loans and short term deals great foresight by Jenkins and board.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #111 on: February 01, 2019, 01:01:27 AM »
with the squad of players on the books tonight if we go up we would need a minimum of 8 players to fill the positions of all our loans and short term deals great foresight by Jenkins and board.

8 players who if signed permanently now would not be good enough for the Premier League and need replacing anyway but we couldn't because much like Livermore and HRK would have multiple year deals.

You are way off the mark about the merits of our current strategy.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #112 on: February 01, 2019, 01:30:32 AM »
News flash:

West Bromwich Albion strengthen their promotion chasing squad by signing four players during the transfer window.

'P. S': In other news, DivineWind's got a fishing partner.........
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #113 on: February 01, 2019, 06:27:32 AM »

This is a comment written by someone who fundamentally doesn’t get the bigger picture at all.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #114 on: February 01, 2019, 07:10:19 AM »
While I don’t entirely agree with paulosull, he does actually touch on a good point, despite the many comments stating he doesn’t Know what he is talking about.

The role of the director of football/technical director, as established out in Europe, is to be in control of the medium to long term planning for a club, which mitigates what a manager would want to do (ie, Harry Redknapp style short termism, whatever suits for the one season ahead).

Now can we say this has been achieved by Dowling this January?

The signings we have made all make us stronger than we were before January. Even taking for the loss of Harvey Barnes, this team now has more balance, better options, a better defence and arguably more goals and assists in the team than before January (we have also potentially countered our over reliance on certain players).

There are also arguments to be made that Dowling has proved his worth in negotiation, getting 3 really useful players over the line yesterday, dealing with last minute curveballs, and avoiding the pitfalls sides like Leeds encountered with the James deal and Villa had with the Fer deal.

This morning, fans at Leeds, Norwich, Sheffield Utd and Boro are looking at us and the majority will likely feel threatened.

But that doesn’t mean this is the perfect window - far from it.

For starters, the best run clubs do not do their business on the final day of the window. They get in earlier and navigate what does seem to be an increasingly more difficult transfer market. Doing everything last minute suggests panic and unpreparedness. Some of the stories coming out of yesterday suggest we were trying to sign anyone and everyone - Sterling, Bojan, Sawyers, Oviedo. Looks scattergun.

There is a question also around the long term planning. Dowling shouldn’t be judged on this window alone because he needs to have a full summer to start thinking about longer term plans, coming in a few months into the season isn’t giving him enough time to really start deeper planning. I did however want to see some evidence of it in his thought process, but there is barely any from what we have done in his 1st window here. If we don’t go up, then maybe a few of these loans can be turned into permanent deals, but if we do go up, the rebuilding job will have to start from scratch this summer, having had 2 consecutive windows where no signing we have made has come in with a view to the future. That is a huge job considering what we already had was ageing, and while i’m now more confident of getting promotion, i’d say we are odds on to come straight back down unless Dowling can have an incredible summer and Moore can work wonders.

I would have hoped for evidence he is prepared to look past our borders as well, instead of limiting ourselves to one market. Brexit might be the concern, but i’ve Seen other clubs this month sign players who are young and up and coming, and in some cases loan them back to their old club. These signings show a club planning for the season after the one they are in, and so I was hoping for one of those to prove our longer term strategy, but that didn’t happen.

Player development wise, we managed to get Burke out on loan, but the majority of our other youngsters have also fell victim to the short term planning. Leko, Edwards and Field all needed loan moves in the summer and all needed loan moves in January. They might play in the FA cup replay, but i’d bank on that being their final appearances of the season. One or two of them may have came back in the summer as genuine options but now you feel they are just stagnating.

If all that matters is this promotion, then yes, it is a good window. But if you scratch the surface, it has added some question marks to Dowling as well. Question marks i’m Just hoping he answers in the summer once he has more time.
Boing Boing

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #115 on: February 01, 2019, 08:35:12 AM »
Stating what is pretty obvious. It's difficult to buy players who will definitely be good enough for the prem in the event of promotion, for the wages that we can afford to pay while in the Championship - if we don't go up we have to keep paying permanent signings.
Maybe we are not now looking as much at the underbelly of the squad i.e. signing young players, loaning them out and hoping they are ready in two years time...maybe we are not doing that because we have faith in what the academy lads are going to turn into ....Field, Harper, Edwards, Leko, Tulloch, Rogers, Louie Barry. As these players progress and hopefully earn better contracts with us to ward off interest elsewhere, this will all cost money. Can we also afford to sign young players from elsewhere (unless something smacks us in the face as a must do) ?
It's a complicated picture these days - the standard of the prem has gone up, you only have to look at some of the players that the likes of Leicester, Bournemouth, Watford have. It's difficult for a club like ours to get away from an annual policy fitting the situation we are in that year. i.e. keep improving our youngsters and do the best with the rest of the squad (not keeping players too long unless they obviously deserve it). It's a good window for us in the here and now.

stoxman

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #116 on: February 01, 2019, 08:40:25 AM »

8 players who if signed permanently now would not be good enough for the Premier League and need replacing anyway but we couldn't because much like Livermore and HRK would have multiple year deals.

You are way off the mark about the merits of our current strategy.

I fully agree with Jacko.  It’s a bit like hiring a car on holiday.  You are in a place you don’t want to be long term so why buy a car that isn’t really to your taste and will be hard to get rid of later.   A loan just gets the job done in the short term.  Great window Albion

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #117 on: February 01, 2019, 08:42:30 AM »
While I don’t entirely agree with paulosull, he does actually touch on a good point, despite the many comments stating he doesn’t Know what he is talking about.

The role of the director of football/technical director, as established out in Europe, is to be in control of the medium to long term planning for a club, which mitigates what a manager would want to do (ie, Harry Redknapp style short termism, whatever suits for the one season ahead).

Now can we say this has been achieved by Dowling this January?

The signings we have made all make us stronger than we were before January. Even taking for the loss of Harvey Barnes, this team now has more balance, better options, a better defence and arguably more goals and assists in the team than before January (we have also potentially countered our over reliance on certain players).

There are also arguments to be made that Dowling has proved his worth in negotiation, getting 3 really useful players over the line yesterday, dealing with last minute curveballs, and avoiding the pitfalls sides like Leeds encountered with the James deal and Villa had with the Fer deal.

This morning, fans at Leeds, Norwich, Sheffield Utd and Boro are looking at us and the majority will likely feel threatened.

But that doesn’t mean this is the perfect window - far from it.

For starters, the best run clubs do not do their business on the final day of the window. They get in earlier and navigate what does seem to be an increasingly more difficult transfer market. Doing everything last minute suggests panic and unpreparedness. Some of the stories coming out of yesterday suggest we were trying to sign anyone and everyone - Sterling, Bojan, Sawyers, Oviedo. Looks scattergun.

There is a question also around the long term planning. Dowling shouldn’t be judged on this window alone because he needs to have a full summer to start thinking about longer term plans, coming in a few months into the season isn’t giving him enough time to really start deeper planning. I did however want to see some evidence of it in his thought process, but there is barely any from what we have done in his 1st window here. If we don’t go up, then maybe a few of these loans can be turned into permanent deals, but if we do go up, the rebuilding job will have to start from scratch this summer, having had 2 consecutive windows where no signing we have made has come in with a view to the future. That is a huge job considering what we already had was ageing, and while i’m now more confident of getting promotion, i’d say we are odds on to come straight back down unless Dowling can have an incredible summer and Moore can work wonders.

I would have hoped for evidence he is prepared to look past our borders as well, instead of limiting ourselves to one market. Brexit might be the concern, but i’ve Seen other clubs this month sign players who are young and up and coming, and in some cases loan them back to their old club. These signings show a club planning for the season after the one they are in, and so I was hoping for one of those to prove our longer term strategy, but that didn’t happen.

Player development wise, we managed to get Burke out on loan, but the majority of our other youngsters have also fell victim to the short term planning. Leko, Edwards and Field all needed loan moves in the summer and all needed loan moves in January. They might play in the FA cup replay, but i’d bank on that being their final appearances of the season. One or two of them may have came back in the summer as genuine options but now you feel they are just stagnating.

If all that matters is this promotion, then yes, it is a good window. But if you scratch the surface, it has added some question marks to Dowling as well. Question marks i’m Just hoping he answers in the summer once he has more time.

A really interesting post.
However stories about players we are interested in signing are usually just that "stories" so I'm not sure you can say the club had a scattergun/panic approach to signings when we don't know if there was any truth in the stories.
Secondly maybe Murphy, Johansen and Montero were our targets all along but we had to wait for their parent clubs to make their own signings before they would release our targets? That certainly seems to have been the case with Murphy.
 The fact that we got Holgate in early as he was available would suggest that we had to wait to make the signings we did rather than panicking at the end.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #118 on: February 01, 2019, 09:04:30 AM »
I fail to understand why people expect

a Premier league quality player would join WBA in the championship, on championship wages and terms including a permanent contract !   When the prospect of promotion is most certainly not guaranteed.

Its just illogical and definitely not a stick to beat the club or club officers with. (there are enough other sticks to choose from)
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #119 on: February 01, 2019, 09:14:54 AM »
I hope he's remembered to tell the new blokes he expects them to stump up their share for the supporters coaches to an away game?
COYB SOTV
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #120 on: February 01, 2019, 09:23:37 AM »
A really interesting post.
However stories about players we are interested in signing are usually just that "stories" so I'm not sure you can say the club had a scattergun/panic approach to signings when we don't know if there was any truth in the stories.
Secondly maybe Murphy, Johansen and Montero were our targets all along but we had to wait for their parent clubs to make their own signings before they would release our targets? That certainly seems to have been the case with Murphy.
 The fact that we got Holgate in early as he was available would suggest that we had to wait to make the signings we did rather than panicking at the end.

From memory Murphy was on our radar when he elected to go to Newcastle. I remember reading posts about him and the fact that we would probably not get him because he was a Newcastle supporter, which turned out to be true. So I do not believe that Murphy was a scattergun/panic signing, its seems that the club have done their homework with this lad.   
MAGA!

miggybaggy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #121 on: February 01, 2019, 09:28:11 AM »
Well I for one am 100% more optimistic about our future now than this time last year.

Great window, well done to all concerned. Its all part of the big re-build following the disastrous reign of Pulis.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #122 on: February 01, 2019, 09:58:45 AM »
Some people just seem incapable of positivity.
We were in a strong position anyway, 4th, top scorers, on a good run etc. so, even without signings, we would have competed for auto. The fact that we have brought in 3 players that not only improve our squad, but most likely our starting 11, is beyond my expectations.
To complain that  they are "only" on loan, is simply looking for a negative in a positive situation. It's almost as if their pre-deadline cynicism has been dashed so they just have to find something else to moan about.
We are in a very precocious position, whereby promotion is very important, but by no means guaranteed, so buying players on long term contracts and wages, could hamstring us should we fail to go up. By choosing to loan, it allows us to cut our cloth accordingly, whether we get promoted or not.
Good job by all concerned, Moore, Dowling and Jenkins.

buzzingbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #123 on: February 01, 2019, 11:47:36 AM »
Some people just seem incapable of positivity.
We were in a strong position anyway, 4th, top scorers, on a good run etc. so, even without signings, we would have competed for auto. The fact that we have brought in 3 players that not only improve our squad, but most likely our starting 11, is beyond my expectations.
To complain that  they are "only" on loan, is simply looking for a negative in a positive situation. It's almost as if their pre-deadline cynicism has been dashed so they just have to find something else to moan about.
We are in a very precocious position, whereby promotion is very important, but by no means guaranteed, so buying players on long term contracts and wages, could hamstring us should we fail to go up. By choosing to loan, it allows us to cut our cloth accordingly, whether we get promoted or not.
Good job by all concerned, Moore, Dowling and Jenkins.

Can you like on here, spot on.

Exciting times until t he season end, we'll be there or there about.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #124 on: February 01, 2019, 11:58:39 AM »
Yes, in the ideal world you buy rather than loan to build continuity in the squad. But I'm not at all criticising the current strategy, as we are not a particularly rich club that can just chuck money around. If permanent signings don't come off, we've tied our hands, preventing funds being available for the next windows.
Also, with loan players we get an opportunity to see if they perform and how they blend into the squad. In many cases the club can then decide to turn the loan into a permanaent deal.

Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure