Author Topic: Mbaye Diagne  (Read 81799 times)

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

Re: Mbaye Diange
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2021, 02:05:58 PM »
Waste of money now. Wont save us. £1.5 million or whatever it is.

Well done Dowling, Pearce and whoever. Absolute waste of whatever we paid for him. Wont keep us up so why?

My beloved club is an absolute mess at the moment.

We need a striker, weve signed one.

Who would you sign instead?
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2021, 02:09:30 PM »
Waste of money now. Wont save us. £1.5 million or whatever it is.

Well done Dowling, Pearce and whoever. Absolute waste of whatever we paid for him. Wont keep us up so why?

My beloved club is an absolute mess at the moment.

totally agree with you. lets put all our resources into next season now. get rid of sam giving him the money instead. at least we can start planning for next season in the championship with eddie howe :)
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2021, 02:13:27 PM »

totally agree with you. lets put all our resources into next season now. get rid of sam giving him the money instead. at least we can start planning for next season in the championship with eddie howe :)

maybe Mbaye is one for next season as well?

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2021, 02:28:19 PM »
he's definitely missed 2 in Turkey so that would suggest that we would miss Fulham but that depends on whether suspensions in one league carry over to another league or from Association to Association. I can't find anything online for a definite answer.

Yes a 3-match plan covers all governing bodies, which rules him out of the Fulham game as the 3rd match of that ban

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2021, 02:29:22 PM »
One journo has said €800,000 loan fee, another has said €1.5m.

Not sure he is what we need from the write ups. It sounds like he is a decent finisher who gets about the box and will score a couple of goals, but in an Allardyce side the strikers are very isolated and need an all round game- something that both journalists and galatasaray fans alike seem to feel is a weakness. Oh well, atleast It's only a loan.

As for the Galatasaray fans comments after the Masi tweets, the cynical part of me is finding it all a bit....odd. A lot of it seems weirdly co-ordinated with almost sarcastic comments and stock phrases. If you read the Turkish replies to those tweets and run them through the twitter translator, suspicions arise as there is a very "nudge nudge, wink wink" feel to what is being said while other reply to say "they are joking around, we think he is trash". The only genuine annoyance I can see seems to be from fans saying they have no strikers left and a loan fee is no good.

Regardless, a Defnesive Midfielder is key for me. That's the only way we can stem the average of 3 goals conceded every game.
Boing Boing

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2021, 02:39:38 PM »
A bit bemused with the 'waste of money' comments, we wanted a striker and we have got one. Only time will tell if he is any good or not, but I am sure Sam will be modelling the play around him and his strengths. Hopefully Sam is sorting the DM position out as well as we speak.... 
MAGA!

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2021, 02:43:58 PM »
I'm looking forward to seeing if  Diagne can help us score goals.
I still firmly believe that we can achieve 17th position at season end.
Why are so many people happy to see us relegated with such certainty?
As I've said before I'm not a Sam fan but let's give him a chance to succeed eh?

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2021, 02:47:20 PM »
One journo has said €800,000 loan fee, another has said €1.5m.

Not sure he is what we need from the write ups. It sounds like he is a decent finisher who gets about the box and will score a couple of goals, but in an Allardyce side the strikers are very isolated and need an all round game- something that both journalists and galatasaray fans alike seem to feel is a weakness. Oh well, atleast It's only a loan.

As for the Galatasaray fans comments after the Masi tweets, the cynical part of me is finding it all a bit....odd. A lot of it seems weirdly co-ordinated with almost sarcastic comments and stock phrases. If you read the Turkish replies to those tweets and run them through the twitter translator, suspicions arise as there is a very "nudge nudge, wink wink" feel to what is being said while other reply to say "they are joking around, we think he is trash". The only genuine annoyance I can see seems to be from fans saying they have no strikers left and a loan fee is no good.

Regardless, a Defnesive Midfielder is key for me. That's the only way we can stem the average of 3 goals conceded every game.

Think something is getting lost in translation regards sarcasm, often comes across that way in none native tongues.

The posts in Turkish decrying him seem to be Fenerbahce fans rubbing it in.

On the face of it this is a good signing for little outlay. It isn't a high bar to be a better option than Robinson.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2021, 03:03:41 PM »

Too late! Dice thrown and landed on BS.  That's it!  Lai doesn't care about next year he wants survival.   He wants the business to retain value so he can sell.   He has given instructions for money to be released for loans and wages and Diange is the first in.   In the Board's eyes they are maximising our chances rather than throwing money down the drain.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2021, 03:10:31 PM »
Too late! Dice thrown and landed on BS.  That's it!  Lai doesn't care about next year he wants survival.   He wants the business to retain value so he can sell.   He has given instructions for money to be released for loans and wages and Diange is the first in.   In the Board's eyes they are maximising our chances rather than throwing money down the drain.

This.

I appreciate why people are saying save the money, but the die has already been cast, so it's a pretty pointless take at this stage.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2021, 03:27:49 PM »
Apparently he grabbed the ball to take a penalty against his managers instructions whilst at Club Brugge, and missed.  Doesn't sound like an 'after you Claude' type, which may be what's needed in the penalty box. Otherwise no idea about him apart from what's out in the media. 
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2021, 03:30:33 PM »
Apparently he grabbed the ball to take a penalty against his managers instructions whilst at Club Brugge, and missed.  Doesn't sound like an 'after you Claude' type, which may be what's needed in the penalty box. Otherwise no idea about him apart from what's out in the media.

Yes that is true. Even though he scored 4 in 6 games they never played him after that. Someone with some fight about them. What we need a few more of.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2021, 03:35:04 PM »
At 29 he is right at the top of the age range I would look at, However, at @1.5m with a @4m signing fee, he seems to represent excellent value. 
Can we play to his strengths, maybe, if we can get Robinson or grant in and about him in an Allardyce big man / lil man style who knows?
We stand more chance of doing that if we can shore up midfield and give our defence some protection.
Is Gallagher fit / covid / going back?? If he is fit and staying pair him with a Scharner / Yacob type and we stand a chance of picking up a few points IMO.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2021, 04:24:45 PM »
At least we are trying to sign a striker with a decent goal scoring record, which makes a change.

Too little too late mind.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2021, 06:42:32 PM »
I don't get people saying to not try. Habe they not seen the gaps that have been closed over the years. Wolves in our first promotion? Big Dave after Pardew? The Great Escape?

It's great that we're signing what appears to be a good striker. Well chuffed!

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #65 on: January 27, 2021, 07:02:20 PM »
The next 7 games have us playing the bottom 5 with us - win most of those and we're right back in it.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #66 on: January 27, 2021, 07:10:42 PM »
The next 7 games have us playing the bottom 5 with us - win most of those and we're right back in it.

Do you really believe that when we're halfway through the season?
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #67 on: January 27, 2021, 07:15:20 PM »
Do you really believe that when we're halfway through the season?

Well, if by some miracle we win all 5, then yeah.  Not only have we collected points but we'd be taking them off those around us.  In fact, I'd say there's a good chance if we won all 5 that we'd be out of the bottom 3.  Then it's all to play for.

Odds of us winning all 5 are 0.000001% though.

SC_Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #68 on: January 27, 2021, 08:04:26 PM »
I am excited for this signing

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #69 on: January 27, 2021, 10:51:43 PM »
I've got a feeling he's going to be nowhere near good enough all-round, but that's just a gut feeling based on the very little I've read and watched. Superb goals to game record though and I've been banging on for years about us ignoring the European market so I'm happy we're giving him a try.

I wonder if he'd be up for a season in the Championship though? Realistically, even if he comes in and looks decent there's very little chance of staying up so I'm hoping we've got the option to buy regardless of the division.

DevonInStripes

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2021, 12:18:30 AM »
Has to be better than any of the  central striker options  currently at the club  !

graka

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #71 on: January 28, 2021, 12:42:13 AM »
Yes, this is the next most important position for me closely followed by a CB who can defend.
a defensive midfielder is needed but rather than a centre half I'd say 2 full backs who can defend
Furlong is ok going forward and reasonably quick he just switches off
Gibbs is a typical arsenal defender not good at defending , weak aerialy and made of biscuits.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2021, 08:43:21 AM »
a defensive midfielder is needed but rather than a centre half I'd say 2 full backs who can defend
Furlong is ok going forward and reasonably quick he just switches off
Gibbs is a typical arsenal defender not good at defending , weak aerialy and made of biscuits.
Or a typical arsenal defender ....comfortable on the ball, pace,and premier league experience?
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #73 on: January 28, 2021, 08:47:11 AM »
Or a typical arsenal defender ....comfortable on the ball, pace,and premier league experience?

to be honest he is a typical Arsenal defender, is comfortable on the ball, has pace, premier league experience but he can't defend, is weak in the air and is prone to injury.

Anyway back to Diagne...there is no mention in any press I've seen of him being banned for the Fulham game if we sign him, so hopefully he'll be able to play.

Just read (on Sportsmole...I know) that the deal is supposed to be finalised tomorrow night which would mean that Diagne is free from suspension when he signs for us (Gala play tomorrow)...although he won't be available for the Fulham game.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 12:03:00 PM by Hull Baggie »

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #74 on: January 28, 2021, 12:06:18 PM »
Lyall Thomas
@SkySportsLyall
Replying to
@SkySportsLyall
Mbaye Diagne having a medical in Turkey today ahead of his loan to #WestBrom from #Galatasaray #WBA https://skysports.com/transfer-centre