Author Topic: Harvey Barnes (recalled to Leicester)  (Read 163203 times)

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

Re: Harvey Barnes (on loan from Leicester)
« Reply #450 on: January 11, 2019, 01:59:42 PM »
We have to be realistic here, we all knew that this day would come, and if we knew it then I am sure that Darren & co knew it as well, and have contingency plans. Harvey is a great player and one of the best we have seen for some time. But he occasionally had quiet games, or has been marked out of games. Don't get me wrong, he's very good but there are 11 players on the pitch last time I looked, and he wasn't winning games on his own.
It may be that he goes back to Leicester, does not have the same impact there, comes up for sale in the summer and we buy him. However, I think that stating that automatic promotion is now gone because of the recall is a bit over the top........
Great player, pleasure to see him and I hope he wears the Albion shirt again, but if he doesnt then I can only wish him all the very best.   
MAGA!

Mikkyk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #451 on: January 11, 2019, 02:17:47 PM »
Gutted, but in the longer term there is little point getting promoted if its mainly due to players who are on loan to us.
If they have a great season they're likely to be recalled and we'd need to fill the gaps in the close season, so would end up going into the prem with a new/unproven team. We need to sign players of Harvey's calibre as our own and be in control of the squad; time to invest Mr Chairman.

This is the one positive (/silver lining) in this. As a wider problem we have a lot of old, short term contract, on loan players which is an issue to address.

We can start by purchasing a sub 30 year old winger.

crazedwbafan18

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #452 on: January 11, 2019, 02:48:29 PM »
Bad outcome but we can't lick our wounds, the club knows what it has to do. We still have time and can make this right. He's not irreplaceable, but that's not me being ungrateful, I'm thankful for what he has done. That said, there will be a lot of anger back towards the club if we go down the cheap route, so im hopeful we can make a statement by signing us someone who will solidify our top 6 spot. Im not expecting autos now this has happened, i think playoffs has to be our aim realistically.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #453 on: January 11, 2019, 03:06:06 PM »
At least it stops those moaning about our best two players being on loan. I’m not convinced we need to replace him - in Sako we have the potential replacement. Or we move Phillips and bring Harper or Edwards in to midfield.

He is a big loss though and it does make you wonder if we could end up changing formation.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #454 on: January 11, 2019, 03:14:17 PM »
Won't get game time at Leicester as he has no interest in the dirty side of the game.

Disappointing news but certainly not the end of the world.
Bit harsh....he's obviously played to the remit he's been given with us. He doesn't hide when he's clattered. If you're thinking of the tracking back stuff, who says he won't do it if that's what is asked of him ?
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

gavinrussell

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #455 on: January 11, 2019, 03:38:03 PM »
If Gray is getting into the Leicester side I'm sure Harvey will get some game time....he was useless against Newport..but then they all were...

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #456 on: January 11, 2019, 03:44:24 PM »
i think he'll be missed a lot more than some think. said it before if you take Barnes and Gayle out we have a very average first 11. can he be replaced with someone equally as good? now Moore needs the club's backing to give us a shot of automatic promotion.
Barnes is the last player we needed to lose, he's played a major role in bringing the excitement back up the Hawthornes and wish him a great future.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #457 on: January 11, 2019, 03:56:01 PM »
If anything Barnes has done a bit too well which made his recall happen. If we had Leko or Edwards out on loan at a top league 1 side and they had the collection of outstanding goals and assists that Barnes has we would be screaming for them to be recalled and put in the team.

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #458 on: January 11, 2019, 04:12:03 PM »
Disasterous. I can't see us replacing what he brought to the team. Gutted is not the word.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #459 on: January 11, 2019, 04:21:15 PM »
Well that's a huge blow for our assault on promotion. We have been over reliant on Barnes and Gayle. What a signing he was.

I wonder if we will change our shape as a result of this or will we actually give some game time to leko or Edwards?

Most obvious replacement would be matt Phillips which would allow manager to play Harper alongside Barry/Brunt & Morrison/Livermore. Or alternatively sako and hoolahan are going to play.

O Albion we love you

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #460 on: January 11, 2019, 04:45:14 PM »
At least it stops those moaning about our best two players being on loan. I’m not convinced we need to replace him - in Sako we have the potential replacement. Or we move Phillips and bring Harper or Edwards in to midfield.

He is a big loss though and it does make you wonder if we could end up changing formation.

In my opinion Sako is awful and no where near the quality of Barnes.

I think we're going to struggle now. Hope I'm proved wrong of course.

At least we have time in this window to bring someone in. Problem is we rarely do business in January and anyone who does come in is likely to be another loan. If the club is serious about getting back up we need to invest and not keep relying on loans.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #461 on: January 11, 2019, 04:50:19 PM »
Big, big blow here. Arguably our  best ever Championship player, surely they could have recalled him on Monday and not the day before our biggest game of the season.

I think at times he's carried us this season and single handedly turned games for us, I would say he's the difference between automatic and play-off spots and can't be replaced  :'(

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #462 on: January 11, 2019, 04:56:23 PM »
Just like to wish Harvey all the best for the future. Thanks for your effort, performances and goals the time we have had you, I hope you go on and have  great success  in the game. A very good player who will be missed once again good luck and thank you.

halifax_baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #463 on: January 11, 2019, 05:00:18 PM »
I honestly believe we are in a better position now than at the start of the season, the club ownership and management did not know how the team and Big Dave and staff would perform and would therefor not take any risks.

We are now in the promotion playoffs positions and have the experience of how our opponents play, their strengths and weaknesses, we know what we need and based on the first half of the year also know what players will fit the bill to strengthen our squad.

So we have lost a loan player, an unknown who probably exceeded expectations,  yes we need to replace him, I believe that as a well run club (the Baggies are) we would have planned for losing Barnes and will have already approached clubs to sound out a possible replacement.

Panic not  8)

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #464 on: January 11, 2019, 05:07:55 PM »
I honestly believe we are in a better position now than at the start of the season, the club ownership and management did not know how the team and Big Dave and staff would perform and would therefor not take any risks.

We are now in the promotion playoffs positions and have the experience of how our opponents play, their strengths and weaknesses, we know what we need and based on the first half of the year also know what players will fit the bill to strengthen our squad.

So we have lost a loan player, an unknown who probably exceeded expectations,  yes we need to replace him, I believe that as a well run club (the Baggies are) we would have planned for losing Barnes and will have already approached clubs to sound out a possible replacement.

Panic not  8)

Love it. An uplifting post on this form. Love it.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #465 on: January 11, 2019, 05:11:37 PM »
Just like to wish Harvey all the best for the future. Thanks for your effort, performances and goals the time we have had you, I hope you go on and have  great success  in the game. A very good player who will be missed once again good luck and thank you.
Seconded - thanks for everything Harvey
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #466 on: January 11, 2019, 05:18:57 PM »
Just watched DM's pre-match interview on the OS.

1 - He says "we spoke to Harvey this morning", which would suggest that Leicester didn't tell us until this morning. Bearing in mind there is a condition in FA protocol that clubs should respect each other, I can't see much respect there from Leicester.

2 - He also says that there are some very good players (on the fringes of our first team) in our football club. & Barnes leaving gives them an opportunity to step up.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

alwaysbilly

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #467 on: January 11, 2019, 05:24:12 PM »
So Cheque book likely to stay closed and we use what we have

Might as well throw Leko and edwards at it to back up Phillips who should play that role now

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #468 on: January 11, 2019, 05:26:53 PM »
For now I'd prefer throwing Leko or Edwards at the Barnes role and keep Phillips where he is.

we8seals

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #469 on: January 11, 2019, 05:34:53 PM »

We dont need to replace him - but he is a big loss???  Hmmmm.... makes no sense - however the second part of that is almost right he will be a HUGE LOSS! He is a player who creates something from nothing and despite periods in games where he can appear annonymous he has been the most influential player for us accross the season as a whole. Not to mention being a player who can get the crowd buzzing. He does not get injured, he does not complain and despite comments about lack of physicality seems largely unfased by the treatment dished out by opposition players who regularly take turns to kick him.
We have no one remotely like him and without the chaos he causes i very much doubt that either Gayle or JRod will be anything like as prolific.
Its a lesson in what can happen when you are reliant on loan signings and are unable to secure season long deals - i accept its not always possible as the cards are stacked against the club doing the loaning.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #470 on: January 11, 2019, 05:37:56 PM »
Thanks for your efforts and good luck Harvey!. Mr Lai the ball is in your court now.

we8seals

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #471 on: January 11, 2019, 05:40:11 PM »
Just watched DM's pre-match interview on the OS.

1 - He says "we spoke to Harvey this morning", which would suggest that Leicester didn't tell us until this morning. Bearing in mind there is a condition in FA protocol that clubs should respect each other, I can't see much respect there from Leicester.

2 - He also says that there are some very good players (on the fringes of our first team) in our football club. & Barnes leaving gives them an opportunity to step up.

If they were that bloody good they would be in the team or coming off the bench - and if he is talking about his usual suspect subs then whether they are very good players or not they are certainly not as good as Barnes. Now i realise that you can be glass half full or glass half empty about how good a job Big Dave has done - but im afraid some of his press conference and post game utterances are embarassing!
Mid table mediocrity here we come (which to be fair is exactly where my expectations were)

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #472 on: January 11, 2019, 05:58:19 PM »
Big, big blow here. Arguably our  best ever Championship player, surely they could have recalled him on Monday and not the day before our biggest game of the season.

I think at times he's carried us this season and single handedly turned games for us, I would say he's the difference between automatic and play-off spots and can't be replaced  :'(
Him and Dorrans.

Dudleylad

• WBA Chairman

« Reply #473 on: January 11, 2019, 06:10:43 PM »
I have a feeling he will be back soon enough.

As much as he is good at this level hes not at the level in my view Leicester would require for him to be a starter at this level.

He may have to return to Leicester but he wont be happy if hes not going to feature and may request a move before the end of the window.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #474 on: January 11, 2019, 06:11:22 PM »
Agreed, I can see him back here before the end of the window.