Author Topic: Darren Moore  (Read 843852 times)

Maresca Was A Baggie

• Youth Baggie

Re: Darren Moore
« Reply #525 on: May 21, 2018, 06:05:05 PM »
Just seen the interview. I have never wanted a manager to succeed as much as I do Darren Moore. We have to wait and see about style and how he does but in terms of a person representing our club I have not been as proud in a long time. After the Pulis era and Pardew debacle (taxi gate etc) to have DM in charge Represents a new day.
If people think of the Albion and see Darren Moore then I am proud of that.
What an amazing ambassador.

Hoping he can be successful.

Very well said indeed sir :)

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #526 on: May 21, 2018, 06:06:59 PM »
Dave is also a member of the management committee of the PFA.
He has completed his FA badges,he's been promoted 4 times.
Born in Handsworth as well.
He is certainly no lightweight as some seem to portray him.
A well respected person in football.
I think his time has arrived,he's paid his dues,he will succeed at the Albion, the club he loves.
Well done mate,can't wait to see who we sign and maybe not all will leave.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #527 on: May 21, 2018, 06:18:48 PM »
Was disappointed to see a bit of the negative feedback about Moore getting the job. He's earned it on merit, yes albeit as a Caretaker and the pressure off but we haven't had any momentum in some time now so thought it would be foolish not to be opportunistic and instead appoint someone with so called experience (and look whats thats give us this past 18 months).

Everything is in Big Dave's favour; the players, the coaches, the staff, the board, football people in general really....and hopefully all our supporters! He's been promoted 4 times and knows how it's done and rightly managing everyones expectations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPoBu2ZLLhU

Come on Big Dave and COYB!

in today's world, people make a good living out of having an opposing view, sometime they are right and sometimes they are not, but hindsight is a wonderful vision.

I prefer to go with my initial "gut feeling" and Darren will do for me!!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 06:40:13 PM by OldburyWBA »
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

charlebaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #528 on: May 21, 2018, 06:20:56 PM »
When I first heard it was Darren Moore it didn't really excite me ,but listening to his interview and watching footage when he played for us I'm beginning to warm to his appointment.Wears his heart on his sleeve and a Baggie through and through.Heres a thought to throw around Assistant Head coach to be named.  Gary Megson anyone ?? :o

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #529 on: May 21, 2018, 06:26:45 PM »
I think everyone loves Big Dave, even though there are doubts about whether he is the right bloke for the job (there would be no candidate who everyone wanted)

What comes across though in his interviews is how much this means to him, when he talks about his love of the Albion, he means it, we have had numerous managers previous who say all the right things - famous old club, loyal fanbase, etc, etc and they probably mean it in their own way but Big Dave is one of us and he just gets it.

This isnt just any ex player taking over, i said previous if we wanted the sentiment route we could of got Super Bob, AJ, etc in, but this is Darren Moore, quite possibly the biggest cult hero of the last 20 years, certainly in the top 3, a legend already who has worked his way up, got the qualifications and now has the chance which he probably one day dreamed of he when he first started those badges and on the coaching ladder.

I have never wanted somebody to succeed at the Albion as much as i do Big Dave, a gentle giant, a great man and so far it would seem a very good coach too, i think we will see a team reflecting his values on the pitch and that can only be a good thing, i think every player will be made to earn their corn and play with some pride, hopefully with plenty of entertainment along the way.

charlebaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #530 on: May 21, 2018, 06:32:29 PM »
I think everyone loves Big Dave, even though there are doubts about whether he is the right bloke for the job (there would be no candidate who everyone wanted)

What comes across though in his interviews is how much this means to him, when he talks about his love of the Albion, he means it, we have had numerous managers previous who say all the right things - famous old club, loyal fanbase, etc, etc and they probably mean it in their own way but Big Dave is one of us and he just gets it.

This isnt just any ex player taking over, i said previous if we wanted the sentiment route we could of got Super Bob, AJ, etc in, but this is Darren Moore, quite possibly the biggest cult hero of the last 20 years, certainly in the top 3, a legend already who has worked his way up, got the qualifications and now has the chance which he probably one day dreamed of he when he first started those badges and on the coaching ladder.

I have never wanted somebody to succeed at the Albion as much as i do Big Dave, a gentle giant, a great man and so far it would seem a very good coach too, i think we will see a team reflecting his values on the pitch and that can only be a good thing, i think every player will be made to earn their corn and play with some pride, hopefully with plenty of entertainment along the way.
.    Well said Baggie 79 my sentiments exactly.Great post

Critical Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #531 on: May 21, 2018, 06:44:40 PM »
in today's world, people make a good living out of having an opposing view, sometime they are right and sometimes they are not, but hindsight is a wonderful vision.

I prefer to go with my initial "gut feeling" and Darren will do for me!!

Certainly! However I did just think it would of been a lot more heartbreaking starting next season on a bad run with a different man in charge, would of been a really horrible 'what if' moment if we didn't try ride the momentum but yeah of course theres not guarantee Big Dave is going to succeed but lets cross that bridge when come to it  ;D
Frank Burrows Appreciation Society

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #532 on: May 21, 2018, 09:53:47 PM »
I've been waiting to hear more on Darren's thoughts on our style of play going forward. We didn't get much today apart from "play attractive football when it's needed". It was good to see him mention attractive football, but what he meant by "when it's needed" is unclear.

To my mind, positive attacking football (and I don't mean Route 1) should be Plan A, with other approaches being the fall-back. Having a resilient defence is fine, but we need to have possession more and show more intent and threat when we do have the ball.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #533 on: May 21, 2018, 10:06:50 PM »
I've been waiting to hear more on Darren's thoughts on our style of play going forward. We didn't get much today apart from "play attractive football when it's needed". It was good to see him mention attractive football, but what he meant by "when it's needed" is unclear.

To my mind, positive attacking football (and I don't mean Route 1) should be Plan A, with other approaches being the fall-back. Having a resilient defence is fine, but we need to have possession more and show more intent and threat when we do have the ball.

From reports thus far, I'm not sure style is top of the agenda.

If I've understood DM right he's basically saying he'll adopt "situation management" to games to get results.
Like others have said, I'm not sure how big DM's tactical portfolio is, if it's limited, you would hope we'd employ an assistant to fill the gaps.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #534 on: May 21, 2018, 10:10:33 PM »
From reports thus far, I'm not sure style is top of the agenda.
Jenkins said what he said a few weeks ago and I thing it would be wrong for the club to try to quietly sweep that under the carpet. Style of play is key to deciding what players to sign, so it can't be ignored. "Situation management" smacks of playing for 1-0 wins to me and I don't want to see us going down that road once again.

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #535 on: May 21, 2018, 10:46:05 PM »
Jenkins said what he said a few weeks ago and I thing it would be wrong for the club to try to quietly sweep that under the carpet. Style of play is key to deciding what players to sign, so it can't be ignored. "Situation management" smacks of playing for 1-0 wins to me and I don't want to see us going down that road once again.

Worked with Sir Gary Megson.
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #536 on: May 21, 2018, 10:52:51 PM »
Worked with Sir Gary Megson.
Yes and it wasn't good to watch, unless all you're bothered about is winning the game at any cost. Do you really want yet more negative football after 3 years of Pulis?

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #537 on: May 21, 2018, 10:55:21 PM »
Situation management could also refer to changes made during a game.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #538 on: May 21, 2018, 10:55:46 PM »
With regard to the player situation, I am far more comfortable with the reasoned, measured and calculated approach that Darren and the club are employing in this area, more so than the "shoot from the hip" approach and get rid ASAP approach as it's "more professional".

We live in a society where most things are disposable, including relationships, and instant success is a demanded more than something to be earned.

I am very optimistic about the new era the club, Head Coach et al, players and us fans are embarking on, my half full glass is overflowing

Great post.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #539 on: May 21, 2018, 10:56:37 PM »
Why don't we give Gary Megson a swerve now guys,he's history ,getting a bit fed up of him being something of a recurring mesiah.

ripryan1971

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #540 on: May 21, 2018, 10:57:48 PM »
Lads its a results business and soon as you get that in your heads all will be fine. I don't want to be playing pretty football and stuck in midtable of Championship and there's teams that do that.

If you don't conceed goals you get 1 point, and you build from there, there's no guarantee of points if you score 2-3 goals in a game, if your defence is poor

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #541 on: May 21, 2018, 11:12:41 PM »
Yes and it wasn't good to watch, unless all you're bothered about is winning the game at any cost. Do you really want yet more negative football after 3 years of Pulis?

If Darren does the same as Megson, play offs in the first season in charge and the promotion in the second year fans wont care if it is 1-0 wins just so long as they win. One thing they wont stand for is defeat after defeat no matter if the football is attractive.
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #542 on: May 21, 2018, 11:15:02 PM »

"Situation Management" is exactly what it says on the tin, you manage situations.

As far as player recruitment is concerned, I agree with a number of other posters, that we're screaming out for a number 10.
At this stage, we don't know who's going & who's staying, but if we're going down the "situation management" route, we'll need a number of versatile players.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #543 on: May 22, 2018, 12:25:48 AM »
Sorry situational management is not how football works. Coaches have a default style they can tweak it they adapt it within the overall parameters of the style but there is common idea or philosophy at the heart of it.

Take one of the most consistent style templates from the last decade or so Mourinho's 4-2-3-1. Against weaker opposition particularly at home. The full backs and the double pivot camp in the opposition half pinning their opponents back allowing the front four to operate within the final third constantly probing for openings while recycling possession either among themselves or back through the deep sitting midfielders.

Equally the same formation when deployed against one of the bigger teams is used to form a deep sitting block with a couple of out balls. The same personnel are often deployed in both versions.

Darren will find a playing identity, he needs to be clear about what it is and what he needs to make it work.

Today it is not clear.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #544 on: May 22, 2018, 08:37:51 AM »
Sorry situational management is not how football works. Coaches have a default style they can tweak it they adapt it within the overall parameters of the style but there is common idea or philosophy at the heart of it.

Take one of the most consistent style templates from the last decade or so Mourinho's 4-2-3-1. Against weaker opposition particularly at home. The full backs and the double pivot camp in the opposition half pinning their opponents back allowing the front four to operate within the final third constantly probing for openings while recycling possession either among themselves or back through the deep sitting midfielders.

Equally the same formation when deployed against one of the bigger teams is used to form a deep sitting block with a couple of out balls. The same personnel are often deployed in both versions.

Darren will find a playing identity, he needs to be clear about what it is and what he needs to make it work.

Today it is not clear.

Stan,

First of all let me say, your knowledge of football tactics is far more advanced than mine, & I wouldn't take issue with anything you say, however..........
Darren More was asked about style, & his reply suggested that he would attempt to manage situations as they arose.
You may well be right, that successful, high profile coaches have a default style & a situation management style per ce is just too complex, or costly to adopt.

Darren is making all the right noises right now, but there is a lot of idealism in his speeches, think we really need an experienced assistant for him as a foil.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #545 on: May 22, 2018, 09:35:05 AM »
Yesterday he said:
 â€œI want to build a team that has different dimensions to it. The fans can expect a team that will play attractive football but also a team that’s willing to fight and scrap for every ball."

“There’s many different challenges but we need to create a team that can be prepared for those challenges. We will need to be mentally and physically prepared."

https://www.wba.co.uk/news/2018/may/moore-outlines-battle-plan/
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #546 on: May 22, 2018, 09:46:07 AM »
I haven't read a lot of what has come out in the media, not overly fussed on it, I will judge on what I see on the pitch.

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #547 on: May 22, 2018, 09:50:07 AM »
I remember Pardew constantly talking up the style of play he wanted and we know where that went. As Fritzl says, we can only judge what we see on the pitch over time.

Hopefully, we'll see the style evolve whilst maintaining decent results. The start of the season is about hitting the ground running, getting results and being top 4 by November/ Christmas. Then we can try to evolve and develop the way we play whilst winning. I don't know of many teams that play great, attacking but losing football and sustain this. Mowbray's premier league team was pedestrian and boring to watch for me.

A nice balance with a team who can actually keep the ball more at home and break with pace, quickly , especially away from home whilst being defensively sound would be very nice indeed. Oh yes, a natural finisher or two to put them away would be perfect.

We need a midfield first though - something we haven't had for a few years!

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #548 on: May 22, 2018, 11:19:54 AM »
I like what he is saying. Flexibility is the key to any successful business, the thought that one method will work ad infinitum is ridiculous.
Both Pulis and Pardew, whilst polar opposites in terms of style, both fell victim of their inability to change, sticking to their, frankly, tired and tested methods and paid the price.
One of the worst phrases in business, for me, is "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". The only way to ensure a process is still fit for purpose is to constantly review and update.
With this in mind, Big Dave's "Inexperience" could be a blessing, in that he doesn't have a deeply ingrained style, which will hopefully allow him to be more flexible and adaptable.
In order to play free flowing, attacking football, the most important ingredient is confidence, the best way to build confidence is to win games. To this end, I would fully expect us to start off next season in a similar vein to which we ended last. If this works and we get points on the board then, gradually, we can expand on our style. In order to do this of course, you have to have the personnel, which is what he alluded to in his conference. We need to build a squad and an ethos that is capable of both.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #549 on: May 22, 2018, 11:36:42 AM »
Hey setee,I agree with you that in football flexibility is key but not always in business.
If you have a successful business plan don't change it e.g.MacDonald's,that's the same formula all over the world ,I think that works don't you?