Author Topic: Darren Moore  (Read 850895 times)

Jimmy

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Darren Moore
« Reply #375 on: May 09, 2018, 04:46:03 PM »
Not going to lie, I am absolutely gutted we are going down. Saying that though, Darren Moore allowed us to go down with some honour intact.

Cantello

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #376 on: May 09, 2018, 06:18:29 PM »
Darren Moore should be offered the position.

The evidence is there to support his abilities. Just like the evidence was there last season to show us that Pulis was on the beach and had no intention of moving forward, or the evidence after our first two fortunate wins at the start of the season that he had gone past his sell by date, or the evidence that Pardew was not up to the task with his appalling results and leadership, Darren has stepped up to the mark and delivered. When he was first appointed all we wanted was to have a modicum of pride restored. He has more than delivered that.

I think he should be offered the position for the start of next season. If it looks as though we are not going in the right direction then we consider a restructure, but I think that he has more than earned the chance to manage the team, assuming he wants it of course.

Whichever way this goes, I would like to thank Darren for what he has done so far - magnificent.   

Another very eloquent argument.  The evidence is staring us in the face.  We all wanted our club back, didn’t we? Our club is embodied in Darren Moore.  We’d be crazy not to take the risk with him.  It may be a steep learning curve in the championship, but he’d have so much goodwill behind him. A massive vote for DM here.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #377 on: May 10, 2018, 07:49:35 AM »
Discussing whether Darren should be given the Head Coaches job at West Brom on TalkSport now, Alan Brazil Show
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #378 on: May 10, 2018, 08:12:57 AM »
Another very eloquent argument.  The evidence is staring us in the face.  We all wanted our club back, didn’t we? Our club is embodied in Darren Moore.  We’d be crazy not to take the risk with him.  It may be a steep learning curve in the championship, but he’d have so much goodwill behind him. A massive vote for DM here.
A lot of us want positive football too to be entertained. The way Darren has set up his teams hasn't shown he is capable of delivering that. it won't matter when we beat Man Utd playing that way but it will matter when we're playing the likes of Millwall and Ipswich.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #379 on: May 10, 2018, 08:39:09 AM »
A lot of us want positive football too to be entertained. The way Darren has set up his teams hasn't shown he is capable of delivering that. it won't matter when we beat Man Utd playing that way but it will matter when we're playing the likes of Millwall and Ipswich.

So perhaps he will change his tactics accordingly. He should be given the chance.
MAGA!

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #380 on: May 10, 2018, 08:47:49 AM »
Remains a massive no from me.

Ultimately he may be given the job and prove me wrong, and if he were given the job I would love for him to prove me wrong, I can't think of many former players who are held in the same esteem as Big Dave with our fans, perhaps only Bomber and Super Bob of those still alive so all i would want is for him to succeed.

Sadly, I just cannot look past the circumstances surrounding the upturn in form and what would be required moving forward and for me it points to bringing in someone who has the experience to deal with what is to come, not someone to learn on the job. It is a unique set of circumstances, there was no pressure on the players when he took charge, they were clearly glad to see the back of Pardew and as a man Big Dave is loved by all, who couldn't love him, and so the players were always going to put the effort in for him (questions raised as to why they weren't putting it in before despite the manager). There is no denying the achievement, but the pressure will be right back on for next season with whoever is in charge, we will be one of the favourites to win the league, rightly so, and therefore the goalposts completely change. We need someone who has experience of at least planning for an entire season, whatever the level, and the dealing with the turbulent times that a full season brings.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #381 on: May 10, 2018, 09:25:57 AM »
As further evidence of Darren's "inner steel" I present this extract from In Pastures Green by Chris Lepcowski where Sir Bob Taylor recounts an encounter between Moore and Clinton Morrison before THAT game in 2002.

“For some reason, Clinton Morrison wanted to humiliate us,” said Taylor. “He’d come out with some rubbish during the week and the manager stuck the clippings on the board. Mooro put Morrison in his place before the game. He was heading off to Japan and Korea with Ireland for the World Cup and Mooro just went over, glared at him and said: ‘Do you want to go to the World Cup or not?’ Mooro didn’t need to say any more. He just glared and that was it. Morrison barely touched the ball."
Very good point mate. A lot of people seem to want to wrap him up in cotton wool, and not offer him the job, to "protect" him from failure. Well the above proves that there is a different side to him and, just because he's a calm and humble, decent guy it does not mean he is weak.
Physically, the bloke is a man mountain, but I think his inner strength is his biggest asset.
I also think, because he is more in tune with the players and the fans, rather than consumed by his own ego, like both Pardew and Pulis, he will be more flexible and open to new ideas. That makes him the perfect fit to lead us into the new season, IMO

miggybaggy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #382 on: May 10, 2018, 09:35:56 AM »
Jesus, a lot of posters are making very eloquent and persuasive arguments in favour of, and against appointing Darren Moore. I have a pounding headache!

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #383 on: May 10, 2018, 10:15:06 AM »

Ultimately he may be given the job and prove me wrong, and if he were given the job I would love for him to prove me wrong, I can't think of many former players who are held in the same esteem as Big Dave with our fans, perhaps only Bomber and Super Bob of those still alive so all i would want is for him to succeed.

Sadly, I just cannot look past the circumstances surrounding the upturn in form and what would be required moving forward and for me it points to bringing in someone who has the experience to deal with what is to come, not someone to learn on the job. It is a unique set of circumstances, there was no pressure on the players when he took charge, they were clearly glad to see the back of Pardew and as a man Big Dave is loved by all, who couldn't love him, and so the players were always going to put the effort in for him (questions raised as to why they weren't putting it in before despite the manager). There is no denying the achievement, but the pressure will be right back on for next season with whoever is in charge, we will be one of the favourites to win the league, rightly so, and therefore the goalposts completely change. We need someone who has experience of at least planning for an entire season, whatever the level, and the dealing with the turbulent times that a full season brings.

My feelings entirely. He had no pressure on him at all because we were dead men walking.
The teams we got points from probably thought they only had to turn up.
This might seem harsh but next season there will be huge pressure and expectation from the owner as well as from the fans.
Tony Mowbray once said he would hate to manage Boro in case he was a failure. Well he did and he was.
I would hate to see it happen to Big Dave.

HampshireBaggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #384 on: May 10, 2018, 10:24:01 AM »

Sorry but this just wrong. You have no way of proving how Moore would approach a 46 game season tactically.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #385 on: May 10, 2018, 10:31:23 AM »
Sorry but this just wrong. You have no way of proving how Moore would approach a 46 game season tactically.

It isn't wrong because you have no idea how he would approach it either. The only evidence any of us have is his mind set during the run in. His approach has been to use senior pro's, concede possession and with increasing regularity use the long ball option. Against Spurs we barely passed the ball at all.

Next season is going to need a completely different style of management and a completely different mind set that supporters will also need to buy into. The noises coming from out of the club suggest that they realise the need for progression which is the correct approach. I think supporters need to also understand that need.

Mikkyk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #386 on: May 10, 2018, 10:52:04 AM »
Ultimately it's a risk either way.

If we appoint him, it's a risk that the last few games have been a flash in the pan, he won't be able to adapt tactically to the championship and won't be able to manage a squad across an entire season.

If we don't appoint him, it's a risk we appoint another duff and let go a potentially very good manager.

Unfortunately we don't know which way it's going to go - we just have to hope the guys that get paid to make the right decision finally get one right!

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #387 on: May 10, 2018, 11:03:32 AM »
I would like to see him get the job, if it dont work it dont work but that applies for any manager coming in.

Big Dave may not even want the job, but if he does its hard to see what else he could of actually done.

When he took over there was apathy at the games like i cannot remember before, Big Dave changed all that but he could only do that with the players buying into what he was doing, ultimately we all love Big Dave but its only the blokes on the pitch who can change the mood with their performances and they did.

Whether it was pressure was off, we were already down, teams took us too easy, they hated Pardew / Pulis, the fact remains the players have put in performances under Moore (serious questions need to be asked why they hadnt before) Players seem to buy into what he is trying to do and nowadays players have too much power for that to be ignored.

Big Dave has made the best of a rubbish situation, he has gone back to the methods that kept these players up comfortably for the two previous seasons which in turn gave us a slight chance of staying up that we didnt have a month ago, i would say that is very good coaching and management to do that.

In 5 months Pardew couldnt get us to be a good footballing side so no way Big Dave was going to in 5 weeks, he dealt with the situation as it was.

We need a rebuild and yes he may lack experience but the one big advantage he has is that he knows these players, he has been a assistant coach, first team coach and now a manager so he has worked with these for a while now and so will know their strengths and weaknesses and who needs to be shipped out, also i believe he had a strong role in the academy setup so if him and Jimmy Shan dont know if / who the players who could step up, nobody will!

None of us know what style he will play, none of know if he will be a success or failure but i personally feel after a trial audition the last month he has earnt the right to have a go at the top job if he wants it, the club needed uniting, Big Dave could do a lot regarding that just by being Big Dave but from the admittedly small evidence so far, he looks as though he can coach and manage too.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #388 on: May 10, 2018, 11:09:01 AM »

It isn't wrong because you have no idea how he would approach it either. The only evidence any of us have is his mind set during the run in. His approach has been to use senior pro's, concede possession and with increasing regularity use the long ball option. Against Spurs we barely passed the ball at all.

Next season is going to need a completely different style of management and a completely different mind set that supporters will also need to buy into. The noises coming from out of the club suggest that they realise the need for progression which is the correct approach. I think supporters need to also understand that need.

Do you think that could be down to the limited resources available and what they have been trained to do for the last three years? He can hardly turn them into Barcelona overnight can he?

BTW, I do understand the need for next season :)
MAGA!

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #389 on: May 10, 2018, 11:26:36 AM »

He's chosen a style of play that suited the players at his disposal and the opposition we were facing. Almost every manager in the league faces up to the likes of Spurs, United and Liverpool in this way. Pardew being the exception because he's batshit mental.

The board have made statements alluding to the need to change the style of football we play. This will be a condition of the new appointment and it will be up to the new Head Coach and recruitment team to assemble a squad of players capable of playing in this manner.

To question his tactical nouse after he has just earned 1/3 of our points in five games this season is a bit disrespectful to the man.

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #390 on: May 10, 2018, 11:47:13 AM »
I thought Pards bought us entertaining and positive football :) I mean wasn’t entertainment the highest value for a lot of fans.

Jack Thrust

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #391 on: May 10, 2018, 12:00:19 PM »

I can totally understand that point of view, as well as the uncertainty about how Moore would approach altering our playing style away from the current defensively focussed, nick a goal from a set piece.

I sincerely hope that Moore and the board are having detailed discussions about their plans for next season and that these plans align.

If the Board decide that they want to go with someone else and they hire an interesting prospect like Dean Smith or Potter or the like although i'll be disappointed I will be reasonably happy with that, get behind the new manager, and hope that Moore remains at the club in a coaching capacity.

If however we turn down Moore and hire an Allardyce or similar i'll burn all my Albion shirts.
Astle is the King

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #392 on: May 10, 2018, 12:35:14 PM »
I'd still prefer somebody with more coaching experience and qualifications than Big Dave at this moment in time.

Judging him on us picking up a handful of results at the end of a season against teams with nothing to play for is borderline pointless.

Thats not to say we can't be successful next season with him as head coach, but i'd just rather go for someone thats perceived to be less of a gamble

There is a whole world of head coaches out there we should be exploring and scouting out.

whilst I tend to agree with your overall statement; Liverpool, Man Utd and Spurs all needed points to guarantee top 4 finishes, Swansea needed points to fight relegation, so only Newcastle could be said to have "nothing" to play for.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #393 on: May 10, 2018, 01:17:46 PM »

Agreed totally. None of us can assume he is going to be a great success or failure, but if he wants it and gets offered it, I'd much rather the devil we knew. The last four experienced appointments have been utter dog sh1t3. Let's give it to the boy with loyalty and passion.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #394 on: May 18, 2018, 04:07:32 PM »
May as well move discussions to this thread now that it is official.

Seemingly confirmed on the official Twitter account.

Made my views clear last night, certainly not my choice for the job and I believe this will end in utter disaster and will ruin the image of one of my heroes when it comes to the parting of the ways during the course of this season, but I shall get fully behind him and the team and pray that in seven months Jacko is quoting this post with a ' ;D ' as he steers us to the top of the table with consummate ease.

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #395 on: May 18, 2018, 04:10:34 PM »
https://www.wba.co.uk/news/2018/may/moore-appointed-head-coach/

ALBION are delighted to confirm the appointment of Darren Moore as the Club’s new Head Coach.

Darren has agreed an improved and extended contract to lead the Club in its efforts to make as swift a return as possible to the Premier League.

The 44-year-old’s stewardship over the final six games of the 2017/18 Premier League campaign saw a dramatic improvement in the team’s form and results.

Announcing the decision today, Chief Executive Mark Jenkins said the impression Darren made across all areas of the Club delivered a powerful case for his promotion to Head Coach.

“We are delighted to confirm Darren as our new Head Coach and we look forward to his continuing the excellent work we saw when he stepped into the role in an interim capacity in the first week of April,” said Mark.

“He embodies the spirit of the Club and the spirit of what we are striving to achieve in this new chapter ahead.

“We conducted a thorough process of recruitment but Darren’s powerful impact on the pitch and across all areas of the Club established him as the outstanding candidate.

“We suffered a torrid season but if there was a redeeming feature it was to see Darren at work over those final weeks, galvanising the Club and getting everyone positive again.

“We all know we have a challenging summer ahead of us but from talking at length to Darren about his plans, they are challenges he is ready to meet head on.”

'Mooro’ completes the journey from promotion-winning player to Head Coach in a 17-year link that has established him as one of the most popular figures to serve The Hawthorns in modern times.

His efforts in his most recent capacity saw him named as the Premier League’s Manager of the Month after that memorable sequence of results which brought victories over Manchester United, Newcastle and Tottenham.

He will set about assembling his backroom team as a priority before finalising plans for pre-season and working closely with Technical Consultant Giuliano Terraneo over player recruitment.

Darren said: “I am obviously extremely proud to accept this role and also extremely excited.

“We have a big summer ahead of us, a lot of hard work we need to get in now. I’m going all out to try to get those plans and personnel in place to make sure we’ve got everything ready.

“And we need to be because this is a tough league packed with great clubs. But what an opportunity for us to move the club in the right direction.”
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #396 on: May 18, 2018, 04:11:34 PM »
congrats Darren, a great cheap option, fingers crossed it goes well for you.Your now under pressure. I hope you have some recruitment pulling power. please dont buy all cloggers some footballers and pace would be nice
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 04:25:49 PM by WBAinDEVON »
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #397 on: May 18, 2018, 04:20:36 PM »
Well done Albion fkd it up again. Jenkins' comments worth absolutely zilch. Albion urine  me off everytime we have the chance to really progress we turn it down. However it's not Big Dave's fault and I will be behind him 100%.

miggybaggy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #398 on: May 18, 2018, 04:23:42 PM »
Very very good luck Darren.

Now, the board have made a brave decision....but they're also going to have to back you with some serious funding to rebuild a squad in keeping with our traditional values. I really hope it works out for you.

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #399 on: May 18, 2018, 04:24:09 PM »
All the best Darren you have a big job ahead of you so here's to successful seasons ahead for you & the team.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 04:30:59 PM by geoff »