Author Topic: Seals watch - Anything Villa  (Read 2244345 times)

astle68

• WBA Coach

Re: Seals watch - Anything Villa
« Reply #650 on: July 15, 2011, 03:51:41 PM »
Hopefull Arsenal can hijack that one.

Would make sense, given that they were after Downing, so they're obviously in the market for a winger

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #651 on: July 15, 2011, 03:52:59 PM »
Were Arsenal genuinely in for Downing?

Axel Foley

« Reply #652 on: July 15, 2011, 04:08:52 PM »
I don't for one minute expect Arsenal to break their transfer record on Stewart Downing.

CL3MO

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #653 on: July 15, 2011, 05:07:26 PM »
N'zogbia is better and younger than Downing so if Villa sell him for 20 million and buy N'zogbia for 10 that is brilliant business. Just need to curb his temperament.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #654 on: July 16, 2011, 12:46:19 AM »
There is very little between them to be honest although they have to sign him first.

Except for the profit of £10 million! Downing has been very inconsistent in his time at the PL. Some seasons he's been quite influential and good, whilst others he's been completely ghost and irrelevant. N'Zogbia has always been crucial to Wigan and has more than saved them every season. He works so much harder, is younger and generally a better player who doesn't rely on just having a cross. Remember when Brunt was 'just a cross'? Effective, yes - but by no means was he a complete player. I think that is where the two differ.

And not to forget the general rule that Englishmen are usually overpriced and over-rated by the media.

Axel Foley

« Reply #655 on: July 16, 2011, 06:55:40 AM »
Don't forget that N'Zogbia has just one year left on his current deal as well, which has a significant bearing on the value of him.

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #656 on: July 16, 2011, 09:34:53 AM »
Except for the profit of £10 million! Downing has been very inconsistent in his time at the PL. Some seasons he's been quite influential and good, whilst others he's been completely ghost and irrelevant. N'Zogbia has always been crucial to Wigan and has more than saved them every season. He works so much harder, is younger and generally a better player who doesn't rely on just having a cross. Remember when Brunt was 'just a cross'? Effective, yes - but by no means was he a complete player. I think that is where the two differ.

And not to forget the general rule that Englishmen are usually overpriced and over-rated by the media.

As Axel Foley said the fact he only has a year left on his deal tells you why the fee differs pretty significantly although with Liverpool throwing silly money around I don't blame them for holding out for so much.

As a player Downing has improved significantly since he has been at Villa, his all round game is completely different to what it was four years ago, he certainly doesn't rely on his crossing ability now although he does play to his strengths in that respect. Its just my opinion but I honestly don't see much between them ability wise even though they are different types of player.

No doubt that should they get N'Zogbia for £9m to replace him then they have the better deal out of it but he hasn't joined them yet.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 09:37:04 AM by B_H_Baggie »

Axel Foley

« Reply #657 on: July 16, 2011, 02:44:35 PM »
I agree BH, Downing has been one of Villa's most consistent players since signing for them in all fairness. As you say, he's added an awful lot to his game.

I think a few people have questioned where Liverpool are getting all this money to spend from. One of the owners has come out in the last week and stated that because the club are no longer paying massive interest on repayments their financial situation is far more comfortable. That, plus they rinsed the previous owners of the club and left them with their trousers round their ankles.

If you buy a £500,000 house for £300,000 you've got £200,000 to buy a couple of toys with  ;D ;)

Rich99

« Reply #658 on: July 17, 2011, 01:57:11 AM »
I think N'Zogbia possibly as good if not a better player than Downing and Young to be honest, he's younger than both of them too.

Rich99

« Reply #659 on: July 17, 2011, 01:59:46 AM »
Were Arsenal genuinely in for Downing?

In the same way they were in for Joey Barton I guess.

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #660 on: July 18, 2011, 03:23:28 PM »
Its looks like Shay Given is going to the Villa, good signing for them.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #661 on: July 18, 2011, 03:31:51 PM »

He must be mad when he could have stood in front of the Brummie Road posts
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #662 on: July 18, 2011, 03:35:24 PM »

He must be mad when he could have stood in front of the Brummie Road posts
[/b]

He can next year and get handsomely abused for the privelage
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Rich99

« Reply #663 on: July 18, 2011, 07:31:09 PM »

He's signed a five year deal with them.

KingKoren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #664 on: July 18, 2011, 07:33:50 PM »
He's signed a five year deal with them.

5 years  :o

He is 35 and injury prone - good keeper though

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #665 on: July 18, 2011, 08:05:20 PM »
Good signing for these unfortunately.

Hopefully we can beat them twice and finish above them and remind him of what he turned down.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Rich99

« Reply #666 on: July 18, 2011, 09:16:21 PM »
5 years  :o

He is 35 and injury prone - good keeper though

It is a long contract, agreed.

I think they've tried to compensate for his drop in wages by handing out a contract stretched over many years.

A good keeper no doubt, but personally I'd question whether he's the type of keeper who does get better at 35+.  Despite recent popular opinion, GKs don't all improve into their late 30s, in fact some are finished by their 30s.  I also suspect that many of those that do improve in their 30s, tend to be the larger types, like VDS 6ft 5, rather than the smaller more agile shot stopping ones like Given.

Anyway, yes an attractive signing for them, no doubt, but personally I wouldn't say it's a guaranteed total success; especially given his age, the length of contract offered, his inactivity over recent years and his past injury record.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 09:24:57 PM by Rich99 »

baggieboyjop

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #667 on: July 18, 2011, 09:46:17 PM »
Good signing for them is given. Hope to god they're still chyte though  ::)
I hate stoke, i hate newcastle more than i hate stoke, i hate andy carrol more than i hate newcastle, i hate v*lla more than i hate andy carrol but i hate the dingles most of all. Albion till i die

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #668 on: July 18, 2011, 09:51:31 PM »
[/b] ;D

He can next year and get handsomely abused for the privelage

He would have anyway if he'd have signed for us!  ;D
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #669 on: July 20, 2011, 09:13:32 AM »
Ha, They all moaning on Talk Sport because Alex as said they are only signing one more player.How the mighty have fallen
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

astle68

• WBA Coach

« Reply #670 on: July 20, 2011, 11:11:04 AM »
Hopefully Arsenal move in and gazump them on N'Zogbia and they end up with no f***er, with £30m sat doing nothing

dangerman

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #671 on: August 16, 2011, 01:11:57 PM »
Rumour that Lerner is getting ready to sell up and cut his losses going around over the last few days.

I genuinely think he thought he could come in and turn Villa into a title challanging team and he has threw millions at Villa and only now does he realise that Villa finishing 6th is probably the highest they'll finish.

I have a lot of respect for Lerner, he has come in and changed the internal part of the club from top to bottom. Fortunately, for us it just hasn't worked.

I wonder if Carson Yeung fancies having another go at the premier league after he is forced to sell Blues?  ;D

BaggieBoiJono

« Reply #672 on: August 16, 2011, 07:34:56 PM »
I would seriously kill myself if we had Alex McLeish as Manager.

I see they had 1 shot against fulham in a dower dower game.

Watching Blues a bit last season including 2 lives games against us, there creativity was terrible totally clueless of how to break a team down or even create a chance.

I feel Villa could really really struggle specially when Bent goes on a strop because he realises hes signed for a joke of a club.

dangerman

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #673 on: August 16, 2011, 08:45:38 PM »
I feel Villa could really really struggle specially when Bent goes on a strop because he realises hes signed for a joke of a club.

;D

I hear all is not well with Bent. He is not happy about coming to a club and then they sell there best two wide players (who provided Bent with the majority of chances).

I think he'll be gone in the next 12 months, or at least I hope so because I quite like Bent. lol

Rich99

« Reply #674 on: August 27, 2011, 08:11:17 PM »
30 000 at Villa Park to see Villa vs Wolves today.