Author Topic: Seals watch - Anything Villa  (Read 2244776 times)

Laguna Baggie, smosher34, BB74 and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

Re: Seals watch - Anything Villa
« Reply #1425 on: June 02, 2012, 12:54:48 PM »
I seen various reports in the media claiming he'd given a £20million warchest. I would like to think that isn't true and Lerner keeps those purse strings tight to his chest. He is a good appointment to be honest for Villa and he should get a lot more out of their young footballers than McLeish did. They're not bad footballers but they weren't suited to McLeish's negative caveman style. Allowing them to express themselves might change their fortunes. Hopefully not!

That's just put 20% on any players that they want to buy.
Fair play they saw the man they wanted and landed him, bit different to the way we go about things but there you go  :(
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1426 on: June 02, 2012, 01:03:45 PM »
Fair play to Villa, think its a cracking appointment.

I think it works well for both parties, they are at rock bottom so whoever came in after McLeish is going to be treated like a god, the only way is up for them so Lamberts point of view its win win.

Expectation is lower at Villa now and i think for Lambert its a good chance for him to prove his worth at a bigger club. I imagine Villa to be like a Sunderland / Everton, nothing spectacular but a decent steady team again and if they get up to that level again Randy may splash out again.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1427 on: June 02, 2012, 01:15:31 PM »
£20,000,000 is hardly a war chest in this day and age and he's not got any track record with that sort of cash.

They wont be pushing any further than mid table anytime soon. 

Aixelsyd

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1428 on: June 02, 2012, 01:26:34 PM »
I wish Lambert well but frankly can't see it happening....

Villa will be just above the relegation zone again next season
On a roundel paly of thirteen argent and azure a missel thrush perched on a hawthorn branch leaved and fructed proper.

gilesea

« Reply #1429 on: June 02, 2012, 05:50:44 PM »
looks like the vile have their man , going to cost a fortune again .

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1430 on: June 02, 2012, 08:03:20 PM »
£20,000,000 is hardly a war chest in this day and age and he's not got any track record with that sort of cash.

They wont be pushing any further than mid table anytime soon.

To be fair if they do finish 11th this season I still reckon it will be deemed a success, and rightly so - it's light years away from 16th and relegation nerves.

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1431 on: June 02, 2012, 08:20:10 PM »
Sadly I think Villa have just brought in the most talented young manager in the Premier League.

Lambert is going straight to the top so I have no doubt he'll be a huge success at Villa.

Good appointment for them.

WSBaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1432 on: June 03, 2012, 04:19:23 PM »
Am I the only one not that keen on Lambert? Don't get me wrong he's done a top job the last couple of years but he's yet to be tested with big names like he will have at Villa e.g Agbonlahor, Bent, Ireland, Dunne.

The only up side he has is the fans will let him do what he wants. After Mcleish I think they are just praying for a few shots on target and goals to celebrate next season.

weareblueweare white

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1433 on: June 03, 2012, 07:53:08 PM »
Am I the only one not that keen on Lambert? Don't get me wrong he's done a top job the last couple of years but he's yet to be tested with big names like he will have at Villa e.g Agbonlahor, Bent, Ireland, Dunne.

The only up side he has is the fans will let him do what he wants. After Mcleish I think they are just praying for a few shots on target and goals to celebrate next season.
He`s worked wonders at Norwich, successive promotions and then keeping them up. They troubled big clubs away from home playing great counter attacking football. Shame he`s gone to Villa

Mikkyk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1434 on: June 07, 2012, 01:36:04 PM »
He`s worked wonders at Norwich, successive promotions and then keeping them up. They troubled big clubs away from home playing great counter attacking football. Shame he`s gone to Villa

Wycombe fans don't have good things to say about him so i'm still clinging on to that but unfortunately, i think he'll do quite well, seems to have learned from his mistakes

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1435 on: July 13, 2012, 06:13:56 PM »
The twonks think they could get Mulumbu
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

the rainbow turn east

« Reply #1436 on: July 13, 2012, 06:41:42 PM »
Paul Lambert is just a poor mans Martin O`Neil,
Just look at his durge signings so far MATTHEW LOWTON,KARIM EL AHMADI, and flaming BRETT HOLMAN.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1437 on: July 13, 2012, 08:36:11 PM »
The twonks think they could get Mulumbu
They could, but jrp will want top dollar and mulumbu wants to go top 5 so can't see it....yet.
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Quakes Fan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1438 on: July 16, 2012, 03:30:57 PM »
PAUL Lambert is confident Villa’s triple-header against American opposition will take their pre-season preparations to the next level.

Villa jet off to the States this afternoon for three friendlies against Philadelphia Union, Chicago Fire and Portland Timbers.

And the new boss reckons the Major League Soccer trio will provide the claret and blues with good workouts because they are well into their season.

“The travel is quite extensive, but it will be good to get everyone away together,” said Lambert.

“The guys over in America are already in their seasons, which means they will be tough opposition and it will help get everyone in the squad together.

“They will be ahead of us in terms of a fitness level, that’s for sure.

“We are there for ten days or so, which is a long time.

“Pre-season is hard work and it might be tough but you have to get through it. It is long and can be hard at times but you always get through it and I’m sure this tour to the US will be same.

“Results in pre-season are not the be-all and end-all because you play six or seven friendly games and win every one and then find when the season starts you could be done in the first five.

“So they matter to an extent because it is nice to get in the habit of winning, but the main thing is to get people fit and into your way of thinking, then they will be fine.”

http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/aston-villa-fc/aston-villa-news/2012/07/16/aston-villa-paul-lambert-expects-american-trio-to-give-villa-a-challenging-pre-season-workout-97319-31401456/

It figures Randy's club would come over. It is my fervent hope that they get a trio of thrashings and sent back with a desire never to return. Unfortunately, the MLS clubs will probably play all their reserves.  >:(

Quakes Fan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1439 on: July 24, 2012, 05:37:44 PM »
Last chance to embarrass this lot tonight in Portland. Philadelphia Union and Chicago Fire weren't up to the task.  :( And Portland Timbers aren't exactly in form, losing 5-0 Saturday to a weak FC Dallas side. Maybe if the Vile get 8 or 9 past them, Timber Joey will finally go berserk and come after them with his chain saw.

Webby

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1440 on: July 24, 2012, 05:45:43 PM »
It's only pre-season dude don't worry, we are STILL top midlands club ;D
Love, Live, Life, and I'm dead. - "Weezy F. Baby"

Quakes Fan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1441 on: July 24, 2012, 06:00:44 PM »
Was just hoping for a little pre-season demoralisation is all.  ;)

Quakes Fan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1442 on: July 25, 2012, 05:56:22 AM »
Drew 2-2 with Portland. Organised, great work rate, nothing in the final third -- the exact opposite of how Chelsea looked against Seattle.

And they appear to have relearnt how to take corners.  :(

dangerman

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1443 on: July 25, 2012, 08:17:03 AM »
Sadly I think we will struggle to finish above them next season. They'll have a good start as they are riding a wave at the minute with their new manager plus compared to us they have a relatively easy start.

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1444 on: July 25, 2012, 08:49:30 AM »
Sadly I think we will struggle to finish above them next season. They'll have a good start as they are riding a wave at the minute with their new manager plus compared to us they have a relatively easy start.
if you can see into the future can you give me the 6 numbers for the lottery for Saturday. They always ride a wave at the start of the season, but one wave to big comes along and off they fall,then blame whoever they can because it was not their fault. I dont make predictions, I just hope ( and pray ) that the vile have a really BAD season and if my prayers were answered they would go down. Oh by the way, there is no such thing as a relatively easy start in the prem. KTF
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1445 on: July 25, 2012, 10:16:18 AM »
Just a vile club who live in the past
WOOF WOOF  I always come I always care but sometimes bite

crazedwbafan18

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1446 on: July 25, 2012, 12:27:54 PM »
think we just have to face it. we had 2 chances last season to put them on the brink of going down, at home only drawing 0-0 and at bolton. we didnt take either, so we just have to live with it. its not nice, but i think they will strengthen and build for next season.

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1447 on: July 25, 2012, 06:07:35 PM »
Missed this thread when it started  >:( oh the joys of the last two seasons.
They have by all accounts a decent manager but their squad is ageing and on a down ward spiral,they will perform better than
 last season but thats not hard to better.
I still wouldn't swap their squad for ours so come May we should still be midlands top dogs.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1448 on: July 26, 2012, 02:44:58 PM »
better manager then they have had past few years, but he likes squad rotation of which he doesnt have much of a squad to do that with at seal park.

still think they will struggle
O Albion we love you

rubyruby

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1449 on: July 26, 2012, 04:32:29 PM »
better manager then they have had past few years, but he likes squad rotation of which he doesnt have much of a squad to do that with at seal park.

still think they will struggle

I tend to agree Beechy. At Norwich he had a squad of hungry players who overachieved. At Villa he's got a squad of highly paid players with a penchant for underachieving.