Morrison
0 (0%)
Scharner
0 (0%)
Dawson
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Voting closed: September 26, 2011, 06:10:41 PM

Author Topic: 21 Sept 2011 Everton 2 Albion 1 (Carling Cup 3 AET)  (Read 94848 times)

Kicking Pigeons

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #525 on: September 22, 2011, 03:10:11 PM »
Its all about opinions isn't it at the end of the day Roy can do no right with some at the moment, his record for Liverpool is on a par with King Kenny yet he was ridiculed and sacked and KD is a hero despite spending god knows how many millions more that RH and his job is safe as houses!

Hodgson's record as Lpool manager: P31 W13 D9 L9. Dalglish's record since returning as Lpool manager: P30 W15 D6 L9
Problem with Hodgson's Liverpool record is that his wins were

2-0 v FC Rabotnicki Away
2-0 v FC Rabotnicki Home
1-0 v Trabzonspor Home
2-1 v Trabzonspor Away
1-0 v West Brom Home
4-1 v Steaua Bucharest Home
2-1 v Blackburn Home
1-0 v Bolton Away
3-1 v Napoli Home
2-0 v Chelsea Home
3-0 v West Ham Home
3-0 v Villa Home
2-1 v Bolton Home

Bar the wins against Chelsea and Villa, and maybe Bolton, none of them were particularly impressive. They were wins again Europa League opposition that ranged from poor to mediocre, and home wins against lower end Prem teams. Just look at his record in full: http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/roy-hodgson-the-complete-record really doesn't make nice reading. His record away was abysmal, most of them being either thrashings (a la Swansea) or dull draws. It was also terribly inconsistent, a good win was followed by a disappointing draw or a shocking defeat. Plus his Liverpool days somewhat parallel his here so far, a promising start (wins against Europa League opposition, a win against WBA, a draw against Birmingham and a commendable showing against Man United, the only real downer pre Northampton Carling Cup being a 3-0 loss v Man City) but then it all started to go downhill beginning with the loss against Northampton in the cup.

Maybe having Dalglish breathing down his neck didn't help, and maybe he didn't get the funds that Dalglish got, but the fact is Hodgson failed big time with Liverpool, a Liverpool side which had several world class players.

It might seem that I'm pettily having a go at Hodgson, but I'm just stating the facts. Nobody can deny he did a great job steadying the ship with us at the end of last season guiding us to safety, but not many can deny his tenure with Liverpool was very poor and he's done a sub-par job here so far this season. He still has a lot of questions being asked of him that need answering, he hasn't proved anything yet.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #526 on: September 22, 2011, 03:59:29 PM »
At least he tried something new,if play three up top again Thomas would be ideal on the left with Pete in the middle and Long/Tychoi on the right.Last nights system might mean the end of the 442,for the love of god Roy put Brunt out wide!
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

Re: are we unprofessional ?
« Reply #527 on: September 22, 2011, 04:06:33 PM »
I think we are when we send everyone up for a corner with only two minutes left, play it in the corner.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

Re: George Thorne
« Reply #528 on: September 22, 2011, 04:15:09 PM »
Really pleased tha he played well last night. I really hope we see more of him this season.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

rolfestreet

• Youth Baggie

Re: Brunts reaction !
« Reply #529 on: September 22, 2011, 05:01:08 PM »
I think it's just how the lad is, his body language is awful at times and he can look quite sulky, but after he steps up and knocks in the penalty i don't care how he chooses to celebrate.

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #530 on: September 22, 2011, 05:06:01 PM »
To be honest I think its indicative of a wider problem now, 4 games to concede late on so earlier in the season - causing us to lose everyone, suggests great mental fragility within the team. Given that our tactic seems to be get a goal and hold on, this is of huge concern at the moment.

Last season when we only lost once from a winning position, and always looked like coming back. This season we just don't seem to have any confidence that we'll get a result and the players panic. Even against Norwich we basically just sat back the last 10 minutes and let them attack, against better teams it doesn't work at all and eventually they'll find a way through, its suicidal at this level.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #531 on: September 22, 2011, 05:18:53 PM »
Wouldn't read too much into this, maybe it was because it's a cup game and wasn't too fussed. I certainly remember him scoring last season against Tottenham and going absolutely bazerk. Could see the veins and bones in his neck!
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

wbatesy

• WBA Coach

« Reply #532 on: September 22, 2011, 05:54:13 PM »
He has just scored a penalty in a competition most in the game think is garbage for a team that had 9 changes lol He is hardly going to sprint off, throw his top on the ground and dive into the away section as if he has just succeeded in bringing peace to Israel and Palestine.

Dudleylad

• WBA Chairman

Man of The Match v Everton 21st September 2011
« Reply #533 on: September 22, 2011, 06:10:41 PM »
Vote Now

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

Re: Man of The Match v Everton 21st September 2011
« Reply #534 on: September 22, 2011, 06:45:03 PM »
Billy Jones is the player that stood out for me, up against real quality on that side of the pitch and handled it well defensively and did very well getting forward.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #535 on: September 22, 2011, 08:26:58 PM »
I didnt mind him trying something new really. Tchoyi out wide is very inconsistent and he spend most of the game as a passenger., evidence before last night suggested he looked better up front than out wide. Odemwingie can also play the wing as he has done it plenty of times in his career.

Im not so sure about Brunt though. Im not as anti Brunt being in the centre as some are on here but I dont see the logic of playing him there when he can play Dorrans there and have him on the left.  I also think Cox on the wing, if that is what happened, is a baffling move. He has little real pace and is more a composed finisher who is maybe just not good enough for this level. he isnt a prem level winger.

It's too early to right off Hodgson and if he goes back to playing the football he was playing last season and tries to change the defence by other means then he should keep his job but I can understand why people are prematurely asking questions because he does seem to have reverted to his bad habits that wrecked his time at Liverpool.
Boing Boing

JLH

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #536 on: September 22, 2011, 09:17:11 PM »

Oh dear another disappointing performance and result but hey we should be used to setbacks by now !

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #537 on: September 22, 2011, 10:27:25 PM »
I can more than understand Roy using this match as an experiment. I accept that if we'd progressed all the way to Wembley I'd have been eagerly collecting my final ticket, but by comparison with the Prem league, this cup is Mickey Mouse. That's probably the fault of the top clubs who put out reserve teams.

This gives a golden opportunity for trying out players in different positions in a competitive game, but at the end of the day our Prem League status is number one.  The other thing is that we had a vital Prem game less than 72 hours away, and it is a risk for injuries and fatigue.
I don't agree with the old school who say players used to always  played 2 matches a week.  Of course they are not going to collapse with heart failure, but what counts is that ball coming across in the 81st minute. Who is going to be sharp enough to get to it first. The player who has been preparing the whole week or the player who was playing for extra time less than 72 hours previously. 
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

KorenKorenKoren

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #538 on: September 22, 2011, 11:30:36 PM »
Better teams than us have conceeded last minute goals to lose/draw games, hardly unprofessional

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #539 on: September 23, 2011, 12:08:52 AM »
Better teams than us have conceeded last minute goals to lose/draw games, hardly unprofessional
True hardly unprofessional more unfit both physically and mentally!

Baggie for life not just for Xmas

Kicking Pigeons

« Reply #540 on: September 23, 2011, 12:21:52 AM »
Yeah, why not. We're everything else. Are we down on the sex offenders register yet?

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #541 on: September 23, 2011, 07:26:32 AM »
I dont trust Ollsson  :D

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #542 on: September 23, 2011, 07:46:25 AM »
blues in europe, hardly mickey mouse stuff.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #543 on: September 23, 2011, 10:28:48 AM »
blues in europe, hardly mickey mouse stuff.

No, but it's costing them in the league
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

koren

• Senior Baggie

Cox
« Reply #544 on: September 23, 2011, 03:21:46 PM »
I didn't watch the game.Anyone can talk about his performance?
The PRIDE of midlands

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

Re: Cox
« Reply #545 on: September 23, 2011, 03:22:33 PM »
I didn't notice him much to be honest, seemed to be out wide left all game.

Wbamitch

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #546 on: September 23, 2011, 04:36:46 PM »
Another difficult one to take with us conceding a late goal again, which ultimately cost us going through in the end.
I would have liked to have gone further in the competition but maybe it was a little distraction and now we can focus on the league.

Anybody who went, how was the performance in comparison with other games this season?

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #547 on: September 23, 2011, 04:44:10 PM »
We looked better but then we would find it difficult to be as bad as we had been in our previous games in all honesty. Some playing out of position didn't really help but with illness and other little injuries it wasn't worth taking too many risks fitness wise. The game was pretty dull in all honesty but we created the better chances with them hardly testing us until towards the end of normal time when our lads who haven't played much or are getting game time after injuries started to get tired and make some mistakes, the result was a kick in the teeth as we were so close to winning but I was encouraged by the overall performance. They just looked a little bit fitter and had that little extra quality where it mattered at the end of the game, if we had been more clinical in front of goal we would have won.

Judging by a few comments I heard after the game though I seem to be one of the few that thought we did well and deserved the win with all the changes considered.

Wbamitch

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #548 on: September 23, 2011, 05:00:18 PM »
Thanks for the reply, seems there are positives to take from the performance, hopefully we can be more clynical on saturday.