Author Topic: Guochuan Lai  (Read 2364043 times)

timdon

• Senior Baggie

Re: Guochuan Lai
« Reply #6675 on: January 13, 2021, 10:50:09 PM »

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6676 on: January 13, 2021, 10:51:52 PM »
I wonder how accurate that is. I just can't see Lai selling for £105 million.

There comes a time when he has to get out at some point.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #6677 on: January 13, 2021, 11:02:59 PM »
Sounds like things are moving along though which is great news to hear

Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6678 on: January 13, 2021, 11:03:12 PM »
There comes a time when he has to get out at some point.
True I guess, but he won't take a £75 million loss. No way. Of course, there may well be better bids. We'll see.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6679 on: January 13, 2021, 11:05:20 PM »
True I guess, but he won't take a £75 million loss. No way. Of course, there may well be better bids. We'll see.

China is a strange place. There’s no telling what he may need to do. It plays by many different rules.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #6680 on: January 13, 2021, 11:05:35 PM »
Campbell would be interesting. Associated with John Park previously of Celtic, credited with finding Van Dijk among others.

As Timdon says though, value seems on the low side to be palatable to GL.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6681 on: January 13, 2021, 11:10:11 PM »
Our club won't be worth more than £75m on relegation so he'd be lucky to get anything north of £100m IMV. If we are sold we have to pray it is to a buyer with 1) very deep pockets and 2) willingness to invest in the club; otherwise it will just be another sideways move (or worse).

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #6682 on: January 13, 2021, 11:11:08 PM »
That non PL offer is very generous and as its very likely i'd be snapping his hand off.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #6683 on: January 13, 2021, 11:13:01 PM »
Lai is never going to get 200m for the club.

He overpaid for it in the first place.

I know there are factors involved but what would people value us at?

£125-140m would be my guess as a Prem club

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #6684 on: January 13, 2021, 11:13:26 PM »
He wants £200m

He’s having a laugh if he thinks he’s getting anywhere near that.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6685 on: January 13, 2021, 11:13:49 PM »
Lai is never going to get 200m for the club.

He overpaid for it in the first place.

I know there are factors involved but what would people value us at?

£125-140m would be my guess as a Prem club

PL: £125m but as we are 95% relegated no more than £75m

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #6686 on: January 13, 2021, 11:14:22 PM »
Thats why the 105m offer is relegated is very generous.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6687 on: January 13, 2021, 11:14:58 PM »
Campbell would be interesting. Associated with John Park previously of Celtic, credited with finding Van Dijk among others.

As Timdon says though, value seems on the low side to be palatable to GL.

Campbell has an extremely murky business background and seeks to be a man of straw.  Fit and proper?  Don’t think so.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #6688 on: January 13, 2021, 11:15:52 PM »
PL: £125m but as we are 95% relegated no more than £75m

I think 80-100m relegated.

And that’s being generous

The less the buyer pays though the more investment we may see.

Well we hope

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6689 on: January 13, 2021, 11:18:14 PM »
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 08:18:03 AM by Hull Baggie »

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #6690 on: January 13, 2021, 11:29:40 PM »
Based on that Daily Mail article i hope Campbell isnt the preferred bidder.

He sounds a fantasist, companies fail and people learn (though 20 dissolved is maybe pushing it), but the worry would be why he doesnt seem to have any companies that are credible in terms of not registering accounts, etc.

I can see the appeal in a sunderland as there is potential but trying to take over Falkirk seems a bit odd, i would be very sceptical if i was dealing with this bloke.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 11:31:12 PM by Albion79 »

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6691 on: January 13, 2021, 11:35:53 PM »
Based on that Daily Mail article i hope Campbell isnt the preferred bidder.

He sounds a fantasist, companies fail and people learn (though 20 dissolved is maybe pushing it), but the worry would be why he doesnt seem to have any companies that are credible in terms of not registering accounts, etc.

I can see the appeal in a sunderland as there is potential but trying to take over Falkirk seems a bit odd, i would be very sceptical if i was dealing with this bloke.

Count your fingers....

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #6692 on: January 14, 2021, 12:05:40 AM »
Lai is notoriously difficult to get near and so the Daily Mail article will almost certainly have come from a different source.

Considering Campbell’s failed efforts to buy Sunderland and Falkirk both made the press with him being publicly  open about his interest suggests he may well be the source of this latest story.

I hope to god it isn’t true, well at-least that it isn’t Campbell as he seems like a worrying chancer with no real means.

A worrying development if it is him.
Boing Boing

65baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #6693 on: January 14, 2021, 12:08:15 AM »
Disaster if Campbell is involved. One of the business associates linked to Campbell worked with Big Sam as an analyst at Palace and Everton. 10 mins on Google and it’s scary reading. Hope any bid connected to him is kicked into touch and he gets nowhere near our club
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 12:10:09 AM by 65baggie »

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6694 on: January 14, 2021, 12:39:40 AM »
You might not like Lai but you have to pray that Mark Campbell and any associated chancers get nowhere near the club.

My one hope is that there are two other parties also interested neither of whom are named in the Mail article and as a rule of thumb serious people with serious intent generally keep a low profile in these matters until a deal has been struck. Chancers on the other hand like to see their name in the newspaper as it makes them feel important.

I am really nervous about this. Lai plainly wants to sell and there isn't any scenario where he can get his initial investment back and the price should be something in the region of £100m and probably a lot less in the Championship.

Nobody is going to buy the club and run it in a manner which fans are going to be happy with it really is that simple.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6695 on: January 14, 2021, 01:06:11 AM »
Can it get any worse? Bloke had no funds to buy third tier side in Sunderland or a mickey mouse Scottish club. Ebenezer two has arrived, he will buy the bloody club with future earnings.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #6696 on: January 14, 2021, 01:19:37 AM »
You might not like Lai but you have to pray that Mark Campbell and any associated chancers get nowhere near the club.

My one hope is that there are two other parties also interested neither of whom are named in the Mail article and as a rule of thumb serious people with serious intent generally keep a low profile in these matters until a deal has been struck. Chancers on the other hand like to see their name in the newspaper as it makes them feel important.

I am really nervous about this. Lai plainly wants to sell and there isn't any scenario where he can get his initial investment back and the price should be something in the region of £100m and probably a lot less in the Championship.

Nobody is going to buy the club and run it in a manner which fans are going to be happy with it really is that simple.

Agree with most of what you have said, as this will be another roll of the dice and the lack of names makes you feel really concerned about who we could end up with, especially after the developing situation with the Burnley take over and the mess at Derby, but I have to disagree with the last line.

There are clubs out there who I would love us to emulate. The obvious example is Leicester City, where the King Power group have been excellent (not so much for their fortuitous league title, but more what has followed since). Matthew Benham at Brentford has adopted his analytics models to take a small team to the edge of premier league without any real investment.

Moneyball’s Billy Beane has linked up with Chinese investors at Barnsley and predictably they have gone from league 1 to the edge of the championship play offs with some under the radar, smart low cost decisions.

Tony Bloom has taken Brighton from the lower leagues to an established Prem side, Maxim Demin has had similar success at Bournemouth while Villa’s new owners have expertise already in American sport and the early signs there are very good. The first few years were poor, but Fosun at Wolves have been smart (if slightly immoral) with their Mendes link up which you feel insures them for the next 10 years at least and maybe after that.

Even Southampton with Gisheng (who is rarely seen) at least have an owner who seems to have a bit of common sense and has put the right people in charge of the day to day running of the club.

I agree that we will almost certainly not get an owner who will have the ability to plow their own millions into the club, but it isn’t impossible to get a shrewd operator in who can run the club like a smart business, making decisions that will see us maximise the resources we have.

The danger lies in the 50% of owners who are toxic and sometimes quite dangerous.
Boing Boing

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6697 on: January 14, 2021, 03:53:45 AM »
Campbell would be interesting. Associated with John Park previously of Celtic, credited with finding Van Dijk among others........

Only speed read this but the article linked below is worth bearing in mind.....

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/rokerreport.sbnation.com/platform/amp/2020/7/15/21324189/the-key-players-linked-with-mark-campbells-alleged-sunderland-takeover
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

tex

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #6698 on: January 14, 2021, 03:58:55 AM »
It would not surprise me to see Lai sell, he did not know enough about running a club when he bought the club. I think he was under the impression the formulae JP had would keep churning on in the PL with little or no direct involvement from him. Selling now would at least yield some premium against selling while we are in the championship. if he does not sell now he may have to hold on for another three years.
i expect he will not care who he sells to, just the highest bidder who can pass the owners test from the league (a low bar to clear).   

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #6699 on: January 14, 2021, 06:39:10 AM »
Not sure about this Campbell fella, his background seems to be more in property than sport.
He's said to 'be leading a consortium' so seems to be playing with other peoples money.
Whoever takes us over won't want to pay what Lai wants.
I think we're in for a bumpy few years.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'