Author Topic: A sudden change in our transfer approach?  (Read 7559 times)

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

A sudden change in our transfer approach?
« on: July 25, 2019, 09:36:13 PM »
Going by previous comments from Dowling, where he said we would be largely using the loan market again, and comments from posters previously known to be ITK; have we had a sudden change of heart of how we're dealing in the market? With Sawyers looking likely tomorrow, that would be 4 permanent signings in a week. You'd have to say we'll probably make 3 more signings (LW, CF, CB). Will they all be loans?

So has our plan been changed?
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

wbawill

• Junior Baggie

Re: A sudden change in our transfer approach?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019, 09:41:33 PM »
It's possible, but it's also worth pointing out that loans tend to happen later in the window. The bigger clubs will wait to see what their squads look like before deciding which players to loan out. The permanent deals tend to be where we're the bigger fish poaching (Ajayi, Furlong, possibly Sawyers), the loans will be where we're the smaller fish (eg Holgate, Pereira).

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2019, 09:42:25 PM »
I posted somewhere else, it's back to the future, signing players who are the best at champ level and might be good enough if we go up, or at least want to give it a go.  It does mean players like Brunt and Livermore will be needed for abit of continuity and old heads at times when there are 3 games a week, but I am getting quite up for this, especially with a Semi on the books  ;)

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2019, 10:23:52 PM »
I think we need some loans such a Perreira for an example with an option to buy. No good breaking the bank now, who knows Lai might spend a bit of money in January.
The priority is being nicely placed at Christmas.

wbawill

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2019, 10:37:33 PM »
I think we need some loans such a Perreira for an example with an option to buy. No good breaking the bank now, who knows Lai might spend a bit of money in January.
The priority is being nicely placed at Christmas.

Either you really believe in Christmas miracles or you've spent too much time in the sun today and it's addled your brain. No chance!

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2019, 11:08:28 PM »
Either you really believe in Christmas miracles or you've spent too much time in the sun today and it's addled your brain. No chance!

Well, nothing to lose in hoping.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2019, 11:38:27 PM »
I think the Rondon money has ultimately given us some options. The sales of Dawson, Rodriguez and Rodgers made up for our loss of parachute money, but the big Rondon sale allowed us to start flexing our muscles a bit.

There is room still for a loan signing or two.
Boing Boing

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2019, 12:04:57 AM »
Going by previous comments from Dowling, where he said we would be largely using the loan market again, and comments from posters previously known to be ITK; have we had a sudden change of heart of how we're dealing in the market? With Sawyers looking likely tomorrow, that would be 4 permanent signings in a week. You'd have to say we'll probably make 3 more signings (LW, CF, CB). Will they all be loans?

So has our plan been changed?

I think you have a point Ant and I think we actually mean business, they may well be loans but they are not going to be Monteros or Murphys….. It is covert at the moment but I am impressed about how we are going about our business,  I can also see a few portions of humble pie on a plate......I am in the queue by the way....
MAGA!

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2019, 01:03:54 AM »
It is plain the Rondon money was pivotal everything has happened since he was sold. It also needs to be remembered that before his move to China all the interest from English clubs was at way below the release clause and we needed to sell him. Had we sold to West Ham for instance there would be at least £2m less to play with. 

I would also point out that Dowling did not say we wouldn't sign players permanently just that we would be looking at the loan market and with maybe 3 more players to come in there will be at least 2 loanees among them.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2019, 05:34:56 AM »
I think the Rondon money has ultimately given us some options. The sales of Dawson, Rodriguez and Rodgers made up for our loss of parachute money, but the big Rondon sale allowed us to start flexing our muscles a bit.
Shows how useful the business model of discovering talent cheap and selling on expensive can be for a smaller club. Could be a good auger for the future if we could only figure out how to hang on to some of our younger talent until they became a truly saleable asset instead of a cheap steal!
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2019, 07:59:02 AM »
First season of sensible business in years.

Do you get ketchup with that humble pie?
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2019, 08:25:42 AM »
I don’t think the plan has changed. We absolutely had to sign players given the state of the squad. You’re only allowed so many loans after all. 

The majority of the signings have been sensible so far though. It’ll be interesting to assess in a couple of weeks.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2019, 09:03:20 AM »
I think our current transfer policy reflects the thinness of the squad. I think those fans who are expecting these new guys to come in and be automatic starters might be in for a bit of a surprise.

We have replaced Holgate with a bottom half Championship quality full back. Furlong will not be first choice right back if we can bring in a better quality one before the window closes be it on loan or permanently.

Ajayi I believe has come in as one of the four centre backs and not as some fans think as a midfielder. Ajayi is a relegated defender replacing Dawson (numerically) who is a seasoned Premier League experienced player. Hegazi when fit is automatic first choice then it's one of three for the other, Bartley, Ajayi or presumably O'Shea, unless we bring in someone else. Being the "experienced" available defender at the moment, Bartley is almost sure to start at Forest then it's either one of the other two for the second spot.

Sawyers, it wouldn't surprise me if he comes in as a back up to Krovinovic. I've seen people saying what a "class" player he is. No he isn't. He's an average to good Championship quality player. Bilic likes to play with a number ten or an attacking midfielder. If Krovinovic is out we don't have one. If Sawyers joins we do. It's not to say we won't see both on the pitch at the same time in certain circumstances but it wouldn't surprise me if only one of them ever starts games. Given a choice Krovinovic will start he's the better quality footballer.

Zohore or Burke, that is the current choice for the "centre" forward that Bilic likes to use. I'd say Burke is probably most likely to start the season at the moment

The only genuine quality player we've signed is Krovinovic who comes in to fill a role we didn't have a player for (you could argue replacing Johansen, at a push).

The others are all inferior quality to who have left -Dawson, Rodriguez / Gayle (take your pic), Holgate.

We desperately need to bring in QUALITY before the window closes or we are going to struggle to make the play offs this season. It may be we use the loan market to bring in that quality i.e. Gayle, Barnes, Holgate last season. We need a right back and at least two forwards of some description.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 09:05:28 AM by Atomic »

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2019, 09:32:22 AM »
Our squad has needed rebuilding for a few seasons now and missing out on on the promotion last season has allowed us to poach the best of the rest of the championship. I fully expect to see a few loan signings come in for positions we have failed to secure a permanent replacement or where a great opportunity presents its self.

I don't think any of the signings are an improvement on what we have let go, but we must cut our cloth accordingly.

Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

Pureade1

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2019, 09:51:12 AM »
I too will eat some humble pie. I have been highly critical of the board and I remain very suspicious of Lai and his motives however contrary to a previous posters opinion I feel the signings we have made represent a sign that whilst we are lower down the pecking order than we would like in terms of who we can and can’t sign we are getting the best players we can for where we are at financially. As much as it pains me to say it I can see why the club didn’t want to spend on Gayle as his wages to drop down to the Championship are going to be way above our budget for example. Furlong is the only one I’m unsure of but Ajeyi(Rotherham gutted he went, other fans moaning their club didn’t buy him), Krovacinic(can’t spell his name but the lad looks talented), Zohore(not a 20 goal a season striker but will provide us with something different and a plan B that we always moaned last season we didn’t have) all look good signings, Sawyers is exciting as he knows this league well now and has plenty of suitors but again chose the Albion(or at least it looks like he will).

We still need that poacher ala Kevin Phillips style to go with Zohore, another winger wouldn’t hurt and the back line needs one more face but we are starting to build a much more balanced squad than I thought we were going to get and whilst it is easy to say ‘the squad isn’t full of superstars so we won’t make the playoffs’ Chris Wilder didn’t have superstars at Sheffield United, Faroe at Norwich managed well enough without signing a Daniel Sturridge or Nicholas Anelka type name so I for one am impressed with what the club are doing.

baggiemart

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2019, 10:26:44 AM »
I think our current transfer policy reflects the thinness of the squad. I think those fans who are expecting these new guys to come in and be automatic starters might be in for a bit of a surprise.

We have replaced Holgate with a bottom half Championship quality full back. Furlong will not be first choice right back if we can bring in a better quality one before the window closes be it on loan or permanently.

Ajayi I believe has come in as one of the four centre backs and not as some fans think as a midfielder. Ajayi is a relegated defender replacing Dawson (numerically) who is a seasoned Premier League experienced player. Hegazi when fit is automatic first choice then it's one of three for the other, Bartley, Ajayi or presumably O'Shea, unless we bring in someone else. Being the "experienced" available defender at the moment, Bartley is almost sure to start at Forest then it's either one of the other two for the second spot.

Sawyers, it wouldn't surprise me if he comes in as a back up to Krovinovic. I've seen people saying what a "class" player he is. No he isn't. He's an average to good Championship quality player. Bilic likes to play with a number ten or an attacking midfielder. If Krovinovic is out we don't have one. If Sawyers joins we do. It's not to say we won't see both on the pitch at the same time in certain circumstances but it wouldn't surprise me if only one of them ever starts games. Given a choice Krovinovic will start he's the better quality footballer.

Zohore or Burke, that is the current choice for the "centre" forward that Bilic likes to use. I'd say Burke is probably most likely to start the season at the moment

The only genuine quality player we've signed is Krovinovic who comes in to fill a role we didn't have a player for (you could argue replacing Johansen, at a push).

The others are all inferior quality to who have left -Dawson, Rodriguez / Gayle (take your pic), Holgate.

We desperately need to bring in QUALITY before the window closes or we are going to struggle to make the play offs this season. It may be we use the loan market to bring in that quality i.e. Gayle, Barnes, Holgate last season. We need a right back and at least two forwards of some description.

I totally disagree with all that has been written here.  The new guys will start because simply that the side last year were not good enough. 
As it stands at the moment I can see Bilic starting with a 4-5-1 formation.  When everyone is fit the midfield will be   Phillips, Sawyers, Ajayi, Krovinovic, Edwards,  Zohore up front on his own holding the ball up for the midfield to support him.

How on earth you can say Dawson was class escapes me. As for Jrod he was slow, no good in the air and if he hadn't took the penalties he would have ended up with a poor scoring record for a so called premier striker.  He disappointed me a lot last year.  I would be surprised if he gets 10 starts next year at Burnley.

This squad already is better than last year it is also a lot younger. 

There is a lot of positive thoughts going round the Albion fans at the moment with these new signings then I read this negative post . Its just unbelievable, seems some fans will never be satisfied!!!!

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2019, 10:44:14 AM »
I totally disagree with all that has been written here.  The new guys will start because simply that the side last year were not good enough. 
As it stands at the moment I can see Bilic starting with a 4-5-1 formation.  When everyone is fit the midfield will be   Phillips, Sawyers, Ajayi, Krovinovic, Edwards,  Zohore up front on his own holding the ball up for the midfield to support him.

How on earth you can say Dawson was class escapes me. As for Jrod he was slow, no good in the air and if he hadn't took the penalties he would have ended up with a poor scoring record for a so called premier striker.  He disappointed me a lot last year.  I would be surprised if he gets 10 starts next year at Burnley.

There is a lot of positive thoughts going round the Albion fans at the moment with these new signings then I read this negative post . Its just unbelievable, seems some fans will never be satisfied!!!!

It's not negative it's realistic.

We've replaced players that have played in the Premier League with players that are mid - bottom half Championship players. If you do that en mass you are going to get a lower quality team. If you don't understand that you're in some sort of denial I guess.

We are currently not as strong as we were last season and if we don't bring in quality additions the league standings will soon reflect that.

baggiemart

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2019, 10:58:06 AM »

It's not negative it's realistic.

We've replaced players that have played in the Premier League with players that are mid - bottom half Championship players. If you do that en mass you are going to get a lower quality team. If you don't understand that you're in some sort of denial I guess.

We are currently not as strong as we were last season and if we don't bring in quality additions the league standings will soon reflect that.

Lets look at the top two teams last season, At the start of last season what quality players did they have. In fact the season before Norwich failed to finish in the top 10 and Sheffield only finished 10th !!  They both played as a team that's why they got promoted.

In fact what quality did we have ???    Maybe Gayle, Barnes for half a season that's about it.

The players were too old and past it.  We got relegated from the premier because our team was too old and we tried to get back to the premier again with the same old faces.  what we are doing now is something we should have done last season.

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2019, 11:01:38 AM »

How on earth you can say Dawson was class escapes me. As for Jrod he was slow, no good in the air and if he hadn't took the penalties he would have ended up with a poor scoring record for a so called premier striker. He disappointed me a lot last year.  I would be surprised if he gets 10 starts next year at Burnley.

Both of these players have premier league pedigree and have both been signed by premier league teams, Gayle, Barns, Holgate and Adarabioyo all returned to premier league teams and are as young as anything we have signed this season.

I like that we are looking for hungry Championship players instead of cast-offs from the premier league, but I'm not convinced a top two finish will be on the cards. Play-offs at best this season.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 11:04:17 AM by BoingFlyer »
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2019, 11:03:48 AM »
Lets look at the top two teams last season, At the start of last season what quality players did they have. In fact the season before Norwich failed to finish in the top 10 and Sheffield only finished 10th !!  They both played as a team that's why they got promoted.

In fact what quality did we have ???    Maybe Gayle, Barnes for half a season that's about it.

The players were too old and past it.  We got relegated from the premier because our team was too old and we tried to get back to the premier again with the same old faces.  what we are doing now is something we should have done last season.

If they were past it why have they just been purchased by Premier League teams? Rodriguez / Dawson.

I agree we need to build again but Dowling did warn this could be a two year project and the signings so far reflect that. They have promise, they MAY progress after we've worked with them.

If you think we're going to be this seasons Norwich I think you'll be disappointed. I hope you're right and I end up looking like an idiot, seriously, I do, but I very much doubt it ........ UNLESS we bring in two / three players of real quality before the end of the window.

baggiemart

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2019, 11:14:19 AM »

If they were past it why have they just been purchased by Premier League teams? Rodriguez / Dawson.

I agree we need to build again but Dowling did warn this could be a two year project and the signings so far reflect that. They have promise, they MAY progress after we've worked with them.

If you think we're going to be this seasons Norwich I think you'll be disappointed. I hope you're right and I end up looking like an idiot, seriously, I do, but I very much doubt it ........ UNLESS we bring in two / three players of real quality before the end of the window.

Lets just see if Jrod and Dawson set the premier league on fire !!!!!   Somehow I doubt it. 

Jrod won't even start 10 matches for Burnley and will probably score about 3 goals.  Dawson couldn't handle some of the championship strikers last season so how will handle premier league strikers.

I think we are going to be one of the favourites to go up.  Fulham will be there abouts but they do have an inexperinced manager.  The signings we have made are young hungry championship players who want to play in the premier league and with an experinced manager like Bilic then why can't we win this league. !!!

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2019, 11:21:43 AM »
Lets just see if Jrod and Dawson set the premier league on fire !!!!!   Somehow I doubt it. 

Jrod won't even start 10 matches for Burnley and will probably score about 3 goals.  Dawson couldn't handle some of the championship strikers last season so how will handle premier league strikers.

I think we are going to be one of the favourites to go up.  Fulham will be there abouts but they do have an inexperinced manager.  The signings we have made are young hungry championship players who want to play in the premier league and with an experinced manager like Bilic then why can't we win this league. !!!

Neither will do that. They are top Championship / lower Premier level players. They will "do a job" in the Premier. The point is we are signing players that are average to lower Championship players. Ajayi, Furlong, Sawyers have never played in a team that has even reached the play off's in the Championship. Put a team of these level players together and what are we going to achieve. Yes the odd one may be a hidden gem much better than his previous status suggests .......... but ALL of them. We've bought "potential". Some of those come good, some don't.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2019, 11:22:59 AM »

It's a good point and yes, it is realistic, not necessarily negative. The good news is, i think we will see those 2 or 3 quality signings, bad news is they will likely be loans. That's life though these days and, if we can get loanees that perform like Gayle, Barnes, Abrahams, Wilson etc did last year, I won't be complaining.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2019, 11:30:39 AM »
It's a good point and yes, it is realistic, not necessarily negative. The good news is, i think we will see those 2 or 3 quality signings, bad news is they will likely be loans. That's life though these days and, if we can get loanees that perform like Gayle, Barnes, Abrahams, Wilson etc did last year, I won't be complaining.

Unless you unearth the odd gem that's where clubs like us get the quality in this day and age, loans. Barnes, Gayle, Holgate, Johansen, Mings, Tuanzebe, Abraham, Wilson, Mount .........

The next couple of weeks are absolutely massive to our season.

baggiemart

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2019, 11:36:21 AM »
Here we go again ,  negative Albion fans.

The fans must be the most moaning and negative in the country.  Fans were asking for signings and now we have got some very good signings.  What more can the club do .

I cannot believe the negativity around this club.

Well keep all your negative thoughts to yourself . 

I'm finished with these boards and all the negativity around them.  I like to be around positive people.