Author Topic: 7 Dec 2018 Albion 2 Aston Villa 2  (Read 64687 times)

silver surfer

• Youth Baggie

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #275 on: December 07, 2018, 10:38:56 PM »
It's not often we get lucky, especially against them. They're in great form and we did well to respond twice, I'll happily take a jammy draw to deny them a win.
Fair result overall. Their best player was a defender, Hutton, he make some brilliant blocks even though he was at fault for our first goal.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #276 on: December 07, 2018, 10:40:54 PM »
The knee jerk criticism is what gets to me. The big picture in my view is that we are doing really well.

Pulis killed us and Pardew buried us. Moore is reviving us.

We may well not go up but we are making a decent attempt and pride is restored.

It's anything but knee jerk, we are suffering with the same issues we have seen ALL season.

We SHOULD be making a decent attempt at coming back up considering the quality of players we have.  What's frustrating is writing off of well deserved criticism with things like "well, we are doing alright" or "we are top scorers".  We have clear faults in the way we set up and play and they are not  being addressed.

hunsletbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #277 on: December 07, 2018, 10:42:03 PM »
 I agree Villa should have put the game to bed but they let us back in it last 10 minutes and they were hanging on I think we got what we deserved in the end.

Hong Kong Phooey

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #278 on: December 07, 2018, 10:44:45 PM »
Stole a point...2 out of 6 at home is poor...

Or to pick out the positives - unbeaten in the last two home games (actually the last three)?
In football, as in life, facing up to difficulties makes us stronger…Carlos Corberan

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #279 on: December 07, 2018, 10:44:52 PM »
Villa were really average but we were so poor that we made them look great. Baffling tactics and subs again but somehow we scrape a point. As an Albion fan I'll go to bed happy tonight inspite of the negatives.

Hong Kong Phooey

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #280 on: December 07, 2018, 10:46:17 PM »
Clueless Moore gets out of jail again, abysmal substitutions yet again, no chance we're keeping a clean sheet this season. Villa will get in the automatics if they replace that sh*t keeper in January. If we'd appointed Smith in the summer we'd be top by miles.

Yeah, because everybody knows that football works like that...?
In football, as in life, facing up to difficulties makes us stronger…Carlos Corberan

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #281 on: December 07, 2018, 10:47:42 PM »
Soooo happy!!! They must hurt so much. Anyone who who was there...you were a part of history. Forget tactics. It was a game bigger than that. To equalize the way we did makes it so much sweeter. SOTV 😂
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

Hong Kong Phooey

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #282 on: December 07, 2018, 10:49:19 PM »
And 6 points from these 2 games would have put us top...

But third in the table is not bad at this stage - considering some believe that we have a “clueless” manager in charge...?

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #283 on: December 07, 2018, 10:50:53 PM »
Given up on Moore changing it from bench when his tactical nouse is to replace Livermore with Brunt. Defending has been laughable this season and that's on his back, having no body in midfield to control play is concerning so I hope we address this in January.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #284 on: December 07, 2018, 10:53:11 PM »
Barnes ripped Hutton apart 1st half so Smith switched him to the other side, Moore should've done the same with Barnes to keep the pressure on Hutton.we lost the central driving runs from Phillips second half and pumped more high balls into the box that's not really our strength even though we scored from a cross. handball but I couldn't give a toss against them tossers.

This is the key point. We stopped feeding Barnes and starting going long ball. We could have switched him to the other wing as he was terrorising Hutton. 8 points from 12 or 11 from 15 either way it's not bad. The Brentford result is the kicker
O Albion we love you

gavinrussell

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #285 on: December 07, 2018, 10:56:30 PM »
But third in the table is not bad at this stage - considering some believe that we have a “clueless” manager in charge...?
W
I certainly am not qualified to label any manager as clueless...

Tatnam baggie

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #286 on: December 07, 2018, 10:59:34 PM »
Don’t understand some of the digs at Barry. I thought he was excellent in the first half. Some of his passing was sublime, reads the game better than most of our midfielders. Yeah agree he hasn’t got the legs for 90 minutes, he did well!  Jayrod wasn’t that bad either, put himself about. My main worry is Johnson, he never gets anywhere to any shots from outside the area all season, really not convinced with him Anyway happy with a point,&move on. Lot more winnable games coming up. SOTV. Boing boing

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #287 on: December 07, 2018, 11:05:54 PM »
I take it the celebrators are celebrating.  :P

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #288 on: December 07, 2018, 11:08:50 PM »
I think Barry showed today his passing is still the best we have at the club, did well for the first hour until tiredness came in, Livermore was knackered but Brunt not the answer, the midfield needs legs in this league, Derby showed it and so did Villa tonight.

Rodriguez should have made way for Burke or even Sako after Burke had came on, yes Rodriguez got the equaliser but I bet 99% of us would have taken him off by then. 

We got a point where we deserved nothing. My thoughts on this season still not changed, at this stage we will still be lucky to scrape the play-offs. January needs investment in the middle of the pitch.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Black Country Pride

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #289 on: December 07, 2018, 11:09:34 PM »
Baffled by some of comments on here. Thought we were the better side for the first 35 minutes but lost control at the end of the half. We played well in the second too until the wonder goal knocked the stuffing out of us. The lads looked like they were running on adrenaline and just seemed shattered. Yes, the Vile - clearly a good side who will be right up there come May - should have put us away afterwards and we (FOR ONCE) got lucky against them at the end but  we were worth the point. Some positive signs.

On an aside, I thoroughly enjoyed our modified version of the Liquidator and it was nice to hear the return of the Albion roar, albeit sporadically. As always, our support was just different class to the Vilers. Cringeworthy.

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #290 on: December 07, 2018, 11:15:21 PM »
Villa were really average but we were so poor that we made them look great. Baffling tactics and subs again but somehow we scrape a point. As an Albion fan I'll go to bed happy tonight inspite of the negatives.

Thought Villa looked a decent team out there tonight, tidy and full of running in midfield with pace and some skill out wide....If they let Smith strengthen in January i have them as a good bet for top 2.   We were ok but the better teams in this division highlight our weaknesses. 

Yes Barry has good vision and touch and I only wish he was 5 years younger as there are times when players just run past him.  Livermore struggled at times and looks twice the player with Mozza alongside him....we did miss Jimmy tonight for that ability to break forward.   I like Tosin and he is a decent defender but he is a centre back and offers no out ball.   

A few other things.....DM gave Burke a few minutes and he did himself no favours at all.   Showed no real drive or hunger.....he should watch how Gayle closes and chases players down.   Not writing him off on that 10 minutes but he needs to go out on loan and play football and we need Sakho match fit asap.

Brunty did ok in his cameo, NOT a CM but did his best to drive us forward the last 5 mins.

Barnes was inconsistent tonight but seems to conjure up one piece of magic per game, we need to enjoy him whilst we have him.

Hand of Jrod 🤣 loved that goal.....much better finisher with his arm than his feet.   

On the whole i don't think Darren Moore is far off considering the weaknesses in the squad he inherited.  Still much to do and lessons to learn, but if your going to have some luck.....have it against the seals 😁

COYB. SOTV.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 11:26:03 PM by Oldbury24 »

CL3MO

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #291 on: December 07, 2018, 11:16:24 PM »
First half I thought we were alright.

Second half, I didn't really understand how we were trying to play. Playing it out from the back and then hoofing it to Gayle? Villa look like they have a set way of playing and it may have been due to being 2-1 up, but they should have been out of sight before our goal at the end.

I'm only repeating what many, many others are saying here but we desperately NEED legs in the middle of the pitch. What we would do for a player like John McGinn.

Play offs at best at the moment with the current squad.

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #292 on: December 07, 2018, 11:26:49 PM »
I’m on my own in Florida celebrating cheating the vile, and all I read here is tactics. Where is the joy of celebration? We cheated a goal. Lap it up.  ;D

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #293 on: December 07, 2018, 11:31:42 PM »
I’m on my own in Florida celebrating cheating the vile, and all I read here is tactics. Where is the joy of celebration? We cheated a goal. Lap it up.  ;D

Don't worry....We laughed all the way home from the ground 😂 seeing the  poor little seals pointing desperately at a blank tv screen will stay long in the memory.  As if we were about to show them the goal!

And my youngest now believes me when I say that you never know what will happen until that whistle blows!!  Happy Baggy tonight.

BlackCountryVilla

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #294 on: December 07, 2018, 11:46:21 PM »
Even the most ardent Albion fan will admit that 'goal' papered over the cracks massively for you lot. If Abraham has his shooting boots on, we win that 4-1. Even if he doesn't we win 2-1 with a linesman who can see.

We looked head and shoulders above you lot second half. Our midfield ran the show and our team looks much more balanced.

We will be well ahead of you come May. Smith is a million times better than Moore and you'll regret not getting him in the summer.
Did you know we won the European Cup?

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #295 on: December 07, 2018, 11:54:42 PM »
Even the most ardent Albion fan will admit that 'goal' papered over the cracks massively for you lot. If Abraham has his shooting boots on, we win that 4-1. Even if he doesn't we win 2-1 with a linesman who can see.

We looked head and shoulders above you lot second half. Our midfield ran the show and our team looks much more balanced.

We will be well ahead of you come May. Smith is a million times better than Moore and you'll regret not getting him in the summer.

I know....that's what made the equaliser so enjoyable 😁

We could have had Smith, and i think you have a cracking manager, but no regrets we showed loyalty and took a punt on an Albion legend and one of our own.  He's doing ok.

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #296 on: December 07, 2018, 11:57:27 PM »
Baffled by some of comments on here. Thought we were the better side for the first 35 minutes but lost control at the end of the half. We played well in the second too until the wonder goal knocked the stuffing out of us. The lads looked like they were running on adrenaline and just seemed shattered. Yes, the Vile - clearly a good side who will be right up there come May - should have put us away afterwards and we (FOR ONCE) got lucky against them at the end but  we were worth the point. Some positive signs.

On an aside, I thoroughly enjoyed our modified version of the Liquidator and it was nice to hear the return of the Albion roar, albeit sporadically. As always, our support was just different class to the Vilers. Cringeworthy.
Barry was the best player on the park in an Albion shirt. Brunt waste of a substitution as usual Gayle not in the game and the goalkeeper is a joke. I hate the Villa with a passion but they were the better team tonight and we got away with it.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 11:59:36 PM by albion59 »

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #297 on: December 08, 2018, 12:00:22 AM »
Well where do we start?

Team selection was interesting. Where was Morrison? I stated previously I would've rested him in one of the previous two game to have him available and sharp tonight but Darren didn't and for whatever reason Barry came in tonight and did OK. Kanu out and DM decided to go with Gayle on the right, didn't work for me despite the goal.

From first minute to last except a ten minute spell at the start of the second half Villa looked the better team. They seemed a bit sharper, a yard quicker and seemed to want it more which I'm sure wasn't the case. I think it's a case of them getting us at the right time when we seem a bit leggy and a congested schedule and us getting them at the wrong time when they are on a good run under a new manager and with two days extra rest in them.

It wasn't a good night for us. Barnes's pass for the opening goal and Gayle's finish were top drawer, other than that not a lot offered. Phillips tried his heart out and Barnes had a spell at the start of the second half where he really looked like he fancied it but other than that pretty lacklustre.

I need to see the goals we conceded again before commenting on the defending but clearly once again we're not defending well enough.

The equaliser - HAND OF ROD!  ;D

Look, we got lucky but down the years when have we ever had any sort of luck like that? It doesn't happen for us, never has, well tonight, for once, that massive lucky break went our way, we'll bloody well take it.

Overall, Villa deserved the win and had they taken their chances they'd have got it. I'm sure we will be a bit better for the rest we can now have till the next game.

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #298 on: December 08, 2018, 12:01:23 AM »

I hate Villa as much as anyone else, but the fact that we've had to resort to cheating because we cannot change the game through tactics/substitutions is hardly worth celebrating.

I'll celebrate when we keep a clean sheet, or if Moore ever makes a substitution that has a positive effect on the game.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #299 on: December 08, 2018, 12:08:32 AM »
I hate Villa as much as anyone else, but the fact that we've had to resort to cheating because we cannot change the game through tactics/substitutions is hardly worth celebrating.

I'll celebrate when we keep a clean sheet, or if Moore ever makes a substitution that has a positive effect on the game.
He did away at Sheffield weds?
However, I'm struggling to get some decisions, Barry was ok, like Morrison against Brentford needed changing after an hour
And I don't understand the order he uses people, Sakho was good vs Blackburn...then gone, then tonghtbfrom nowhere Burke
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..