Author Topic: We are going down ?  (Read 79289 times)

Barrington

• Reserve Baggie

Re: We are going down ?
« Reply #325 on: April 26, 2014, 08:07:07 PM »
That result has pretty much ensured our safety and another year of Premier League football. It would take the strangest set of results possible for the teams below us in their remaining games for us to go down even on 36 points with our goal difference. That's before taking into consideration that we may pick up another point or two before the end of the season. Enjoy the rest of your night ;)

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #326 on: April 26, 2014, 08:10:48 PM »
That result has pretty much ensured our safety and another year of Premier League football. It would take the strangest set of results possible for the teams below us in their remaining games for us to go down even on 36 points with our goal difference. That's before taking into consideration that we may pick up another point or two before the end of the season. Enjoy the rest of your night ;)

You are right, the teams below us can barely afford to lose a game now, we are safe, I'm off out for a beer or three! ;D
Baggie in Southampton

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #327 on: April 26, 2014, 08:22:53 PM »
Today has all but secured our survival now. It was a massive win and I'm so pleased that the players came though it today and also for Mel he has deserved this. Lets hope we can get three points at Sunderland.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

botters

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #328 on: April 26, 2014, 08:36:51 PM »

If Sunderland beat Cardiff tomorrow then Cardiff can only get a maximum of 36 points with a vastly inferior goal difference (-34 us -12) so they can't catch us with Newcastle away and Chelsea at home to play.
Fulham (Stoke away and Palace home) to play can only get a maximum of 37 points again with a vastly inferior goal difference (-42)
Norwich (Chelsea away and Arsenal home) if they won both matches (unlikely) would be on 38 points again with a vastly inferior goal difference (-32)
So 2 points will make us definitely safe although I think that 1 point will be enough.
If the results go for us next weekend before we play Arsenal on the Sunday we could be safe before we play them.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #329 on: April 26, 2014, 09:18:59 PM »
Well done to the players and the coaching staff.

This isn't a time for fans bickering - or the I told you so posts - we should just appreciate that the club will more than likely be playing in the Premier League next season.

Let's face it, some months ago we looked dead, especially after our Hull and Man United defeats. We couldn't win a game and we seemed to be inventing new ways of throwing a football match - in particularly our two recent home games.

We've obviously had problems with Pepe trying to get his methods across but in the last month or so we've seen signs of progression. We've seen annoyance too, but on the whole we've seen some progression. We're seeing players becoming more familiar with his methods and most important we've started to pick up some wins.

I thought we were as dead as a doornail but thankfully the lads have pulled together and managed to get enough points to get themselves over the line.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Baggy nerd

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #330 on: April 26, 2014, 09:26:07 PM »
If Sunderland beat Cardiff tomorrow then Cardiff can only get a maximum of 36 points with a vastly inferior goal difference (-34 us -12) so they can't catch us with Newcastle away and Chelsea at home to play.
Fulham (Stoke away and Palace home) to play can only get a maximum of 37 points again with a vastly inferior goal difference (-42)
Norwich (Chelsea away and Arsenal home) if they won both matches (unlikely) would be on 38 points again with a vastly inferior goal difference (-32)
So 2 points will make us definitely safe although I think that 1 point will be enough.
If the results go for us next weekend before we play Arsenal on the Sunday we could be safe before we play them.
If Sunderland win tomorrow this can't happen. We need a draw or Cardiff win tomorrow then a good set of results on Saturday afternoon. Possible but unlikely.

botters

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #331 on: April 26, 2014, 09:28:35 PM »
Yes I forgot that the Chelsea v Norwich game followed our game at Arsenal.
But would you back Norwich on current form to win at Stamford Bridge?
So Sunday evening then.

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #332 on: April 26, 2014, 09:36:11 PM »
I think Norwich will lose both of their games.
Will Sunderland be able to win at least two of their last four games I doubt it. Cardiff have to win Tommorrow or they will surely be down. Villa have got Man City and Spurs still to play too both away.

I personally felt we would go down, after the Man Utd game but since then Mel has turned it around and we have started to score goals and although we should be in a much better position he has done a very good job in turning things around.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #333 on: April 26, 2014, 10:09:11 PM »
I still think we need a point to be sure but I find it hard to believe that 3 of the 5 teams below us will get to 37 points which given our goal difference should see us safe on 36 points regardless.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Plastic Paddy

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #334 on: April 27, 2014, 08:51:03 AM »
I still think we need a point to be sure but I find it hard to believe that 3 of the 5 teams below us will get to 37 points which given our goal difference should see us safe on 36 points regardless.

Agree with this. If Sunderland beat Cardiff today that is them gone. In addition, both Fulham & Norwich would have to win both of their remaining games to overtake us (assuming we don't get any more points) which is unlikely.

Baggy nerd

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #335 on: April 27, 2014, 09:31:14 AM »
Agree with this. If Sunderland beat Cardiff today that is them gone. In addition, both Fulham & Norwich would have to win both of their remaining games to overtake us (assuming we don't get any more points) which is unlikely.
The mathematical 38 points has Norwich winning both matches so 37 has got to be the real target (unless strange things start happening!)

graka

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #336 on: April 27, 2014, 11:07:05 AM »
hoping sunderland win that puts Cardiff below us. I think Norwich might get one result but certainly not 2 so I reckon Norwich will finish below us. I still think villa will get one more result.

swad35

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #337 on: April 27, 2014, 11:41:50 AM »
Was one of the fans saying we would go down after Utd game, I officially take it back, we will stay up and deservedly so. Always backed Pepe and his record since coming has been good, didn't trust the players to pull it off but they have proved me wrong.

The suns shining, birds singing life's good!!

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #338 on: April 27, 2014, 04:11:35 PM »
As much as I hate everything about Chelsea, their win at Anfield today is good for us in 2 ways:

1) It keeps Man City interested in the title, so they'll still have everything to play for against Everton next Saturday. If Arsenal beat Newcastle tomorrow and Man City beat Everton on Saturday, Arsenal will already be certain of 4th place by the time they play us on Sunday and their focus will start to be on the FA Cup Final.

2) Chelsea are now only 2 points behind Liverpool and play Norwich at home next Sunday before Palace play Liverpool on the bank holiday Monday, so Chelsea's title hopes will definitely still be alive when they play Norwich. If Norwich don't win that game, they can't catch us.

charlebaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #339 on: April 27, 2014, 04:47:24 PM »
Why does only lost 3 in last 10 games sound better than won 3 in last 10 games ? Well done Pepe for silencing the doubters  :D.

WestBrom90

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #340 on: April 27, 2014, 07:23:59 PM »
It's over, we're safe. Enjoy rest of the season folks.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #341 on: April 27, 2014, 07:39:42 PM »
Personally, I won't be able to really relax till its mathematically 100% :-X

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #342 on: April 27, 2014, 07:44:15 PM »
Squeaky bums for the Villa if Fulham beat Palace and Sunderland beat us.....

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #343 on: April 27, 2014, 07:46:21 PM »
And for us!

hunsletbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #344 on: April 27, 2014, 07:59:29 PM »
They have got to do something against Stoke first though.

Baggie Boy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #345 on: April 27, 2014, 08:03:10 PM »
Think its virtually guaranteed that we'll stay up, would now like to see a bit more of Thievy, could be a good cheaper signing in the summer if he does well, looked relatively good so far I think. Like to see Sessegnon used further up the field, if we did that he could convert into a forward next season meaning we need to sign one less and also gives more game time to either Dorrans or Morrison. Now we are virtually safe it could be a good time for Mel to have a look at some new ideas.

Baggy nerd

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #346 on: April 27, 2014, 08:12:24 PM »
No...and the players must not think like this. The fact that Fulham have 2 winnable games left means we need another point and the next 2 games for us are not easy.

johnthebaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #347 on: April 27, 2014, 08:13:23 PM »
Think its virtually guaranteed that we'll stay up, would now like to see a bit more of Thievy, could be a good cheaper signing in the summer if he does well, looked relatively good so far I think. Like to see Sessegnon used further up the field, if we did that he could convert into a forward next season meaning we need to sign one less and also gives more game time to either Dorrans or Morrison. Now we are virtually safe it could be a good time for Mel to have a look at some new ideas.
Not sure we're comfy enough to start experimenting just yet, maybe if Saturdays results go our way.

Safety first.

AlbionBest

• WBA Coach

« Reply #348 on: April 27, 2014, 08:19:51 PM »
My thinking is that we aren't safe until it's mathematical !!!!
BRING BACK THE MIGHTY CRADLEY HEATHENS !

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #349 on: April 27, 2014, 08:25:23 PM »
I think we're out of reach for Cardiff & Norwich now, but Fulham and Sunderland have winnable games, including the one against us. A point at the SOL would see us safe I think.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?