Author Topic: We are going down ?  (Read 78567 times)

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

Re: We are going down.
« Reply #125 on: April 04, 2014, 09:26:36 AM »
I am quite amazed that it is still in our own hands at this point. With our form over the last year or so we should have been dead and buried by now.

All we can do is our part by trying to spur them on for the last few games and pray that it is enough to help them get the results we need.

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #126 on: April 04, 2014, 09:44:52 AM »
It's a credit to WBA that we've been able to weather this ridiculous season in which EVERYTHING has gone wrong and yet we're still about the relegation zone and we've still got it in our own hands. It shows how far we've come as a club for that to be the case these days.

If we can stay up this term, what is needed in the summer is plain for all to see and I have faith that we'll do it. JP needs to take charge again, he tried to leave a managment team in place and it's not worked at all.

We're scoring, which means a win is always likely at some point. 35 points and a good goal diff will keep someone up, I for one think it will be us.
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #127 on: April 04, 2014, 12:18:42 PM »
It's a credit to WBA that we've been able to weather this ridiculous season in which EVERYTHING has gone wrong and yet we're still about the relegation zone and we've still got it in our own hands. It shows how far we've come as a club for that to be the case these days.

If we can stay up this term, what is needed in the summer is plain for all to see and I have faith that we'll do it. JP needs to take charge again, he tried to leave a managment team in place and it's not worked at all.

We're scoring, which means a win is always likely at some point. 35 points and a good goal diff will keep someone up, I for one think it will be us.

It also shows how quickly good work can be undone
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #128 on: April 06, 2014, 01:43:35 PM »
This team doesn't have it in it to get 2 or 3 more wins.

Norwich are excellent at home, they're abysmal away, though we did somehow manage to lose to them. If we can't beat the worst away sides in the division at home in Fulham and Cardiff, quite why any would expect us to go to Norwich next week and get 3 points is beyond me - frankly given our away form expecting a draw is bordering on delusional.
It's a good job football isn't played on paper.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Greenock Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #129 on: April 06, 2014, 03:28:01 PM »
Ah queue the "hindsight" merchants who themselves were nowhere to be seen as recent as 1 week ago !!

I thought we would go down but am I not ALLOWED to change my mind or be wrong. God its like the gestapo but worse !!
He's a lad from the Wrenna

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #130 on: April 06, 2014, 03:35:40 PM »
Our destiny has never been out of hands and yesterday was a step forward but we are not safe yet it will not count for anything if we do not follow it up with a least another couple of wins. We might not get one of them against Spurs but a performance is required
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #131 on: April 06, 2014, 03:51:07 PM »
Ah queue the "hindsight" merchants who themselves were nowhere to be seen as recent as 1 week ago !!

I thought we would go down but am I not ALLOWED to change my mind or be wrong. God its like the gestapo but worse !!

Cardiff away I came out of the ground and thought thats it we're down. Clarke got the sack and it made me rethink with a bit of hope. Then came out after Cardiff at home thought we're stuffed and down. After yesterday I think we'll stay up. My minds been changed on a weekly basis in between those two Cardiff games. I think now is the only time i've been confident.

Too many gutless and inconsistent displays from senior pros this season who along with many of the new signings not lived up to expectation, wage packets and in some cases talent. Mistakes off the pitch all round from too many people who should be seen and not heard and in some cases not seen at all and no leadership from the top down.

I've changed my mind on loads of things and don't see any problem with that, might even be wrong on occasion, happy to be proved wrong if it means we're better for it but I still stand by what I post at the time, if folk don't like it no problem. What does rile me if the smug comments from some on here when all they do is seem to want to make a point of proving others wrong without offering much else to the forum.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #132 on: April 06, 2014, 03:59:40 PM »
I've been saying we'd go down all season. Thankfully now it looks like I will be wrong. Hey, it happens, unless one happens to be either a) god or b) privy to secret and indisputable information - no-one will ever be right all of the time.

We have managed to sneak a couple of away wins at Swansea and at Norwich which will go a hell of a long way towards us retaining our status. I didn't think we'd do that but we did. i thought we were extremely lucky at Swansea we should've been dead and buried at half time but yesterday was a solid performance and for once we actually looked organised.

It's not all over yet, I think one more win will probably be enough.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #133 on: April 06, 2014, 04:06:04 PM »

Hindsight ? , no ...purely pointing out you never , ever know in football .
Like Stoke away a few years back.....I'm sure you remember that. :D
To be fair Greenock you do change your mind like the weather regarding the Albion. :)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 04:12:11 PM by Dexy »

swad35

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #134 on: April 06, 2014, 04:34:49 PM »
Fair play if you think after yesterday we are staying up, wish I had that amount of confidence. Something against Tottenham and then I will change my mind.

I can tell you know after we lost to Vile I almost wanted us to go down to start again, but after yesterday I've never wanted us to stay up as much. We offer something to this league and without us and our fans the league.....no bugger it the world would be a darker place  :D

Greenock Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #135 on: April 06, 2014, 05:30:23 PM »
Hindsight ? , no ...purely pointing out you never , ever know in football .
Like Stoke away a few years back.....I'm sure you remember that. :D
To be fair Greenock you do change your mind like the weather regarding the Albion. :)
Hindsight  ? , YES..NOT MANY POINTING OUT " YOU NEVER KNOW IN FOOTBALL" 1 WEEK AGO !!!

Stoke a few years ago, yes I remember that ........I was there

I do change my mind occasionally but that's determined by how we are playing or have played, and up until yesterday, we've looked doomed.
He's a lad from the Wrenna

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #136 on: April 06, 2014, 05:51:32 PM »
Hindsight  ? , YES..NOT MANY POINTING OUT " YOU NEVER KNOW IN FOOTBALL" 1 WEEK AGO !!!

Stoke a few years ago, yes I remember that ........I was there

I do change my mind occasionally but that's determined by how we are playing or have played, and up until yesterday, we've looked doomed.
:D ..... It wasn't (and it's not over yet) looking good but i wouldn't say we looked doomed purely because there's three maybe four teams just as bad or indeed worse than us. I was one who quietly fancied us to get at least a point at Norwich because the signs against Cardiff attacking wise were good , our record at Carrow Road is decent and more than anything i knew things weren't right behind the scenes at Norwich despite their excellent home form.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 06:01:34 PM by Dexy »

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #137 on: April 06, 2014, 07:07:41 PM »
I'd said if we survived it would be virtue of the three sides beneath us being somehow worse than we are. I for one thought we would be relegated this season but thankfully we've managed too pulled two victories from absolutely nowhere. We now have a bit of breathing space and control our own destiny but that shouldn't disguise the urgent need of a make over this squad needs in the summer.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #138 on: April 06, 2014, 07:15:08 PM »
Four more points should be enough and I too thought we'd end up in Championship league. A lot of work to be done in the summer Mel has to be backed with his own coaches and personal so finger out Jeremy

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #139 on: April 06, 2014, 09:23:34 PM »
I can't see many, if any, changes to the coaching staff. If we stay up we'll probably keep David Gomez who came in as 1st team coach a couple of months ago. Mel seems to get on well with KD and DK, so I can't see us changing it further.

Aixelsyd

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #140 on: April 06, 2014, 11:09:53 PM »
Yes we are.....

I would humbly like to withdraw this statement  :-[

:D
On a roundel paly of thirteen argent and azure a missel thrush perched on a hawthorn branch leaved and fructed proper.

Andio

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #141 on: April 07, 2014, 12:00:28 AM »
I would humbly like to withdraw this statement  :-[

:D

Can you just wait until the fat lady has started to sing please  :P

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #142 on: April 07, 2014, 05:39:18 PM »
I felt a few weeks ago that we would go down and I couldn't see us winning another game. However two very good, hard fought and team wins at Swansea and Norwich have now convinced me that we will stay up. As well as the teams in the bottom three not been winning enough of games against teams in and around them.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #143 on: April 07, 2014, 06:25:36 PM »
Can you just wait until the fat lady has started to sing please  :P

She did, briefly, but I told her to shut up and go and make my tea!  ;D ;D

(If ever she reads this I think I'm going to have to go to the Chippy  :o)

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #144 on: April 07, 2014, 06:32:28 PM »
A few weeks ago, it was hardly surprising many thought we were going down, playing poorly led by a manager who was struggling to get his ideas over and team devoid of energy and drive.

A few weeks on, we seem to have a pretty united club and fan base, all pulling together to get us out of the mess we were in.

I genuinely believe the Spanish flag campaign was a major catalyst in this, the fans had there say on Pepe Mel when the silence from the club left a void that needed filling.

The inquest on the season can wait, there is still work to be done on and off the pitch. Lessons need to be learned, I hope the club are listening.
Baggie in Southampton

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #145 on: April 07, 2014, 06:40:14 PM »
A few weeks ago, it was hardly surprising many thought we were going down, playing poorly led by a manager who was struggling to get his ideas over and team devoid of energy and drive.

A few weeks on, we seem to have a pretty united club and fan base, all pulling together to get us out of the mess we were in.

I genuinely believe the Spanish flag campaign was a major catalyst in this, the fans had there say on Pepe Mel when the silence from the club left a void that needed filling.

The inquest on the season can wait, there is still work to be done on and off the pitch. Lessons need to be learned, I hope the club are listening.

I agree, its galvanized the players and fans together a little more. I have just told Franksie via a text this very same thing :)
Continue with the flags. The players now realise how much we feel about Pepe and the media campaign that was against him
WOOF WOOF  I always come I always care but sometimes bite

wardy65

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #146 on: April 07, 2014, 07:08:48 PM »
I think our fans have been magnificent in backing Pepe, well about 80% I'd say, which is fantastic backing given our poor form prior to the Swansea win, & yes, I agree, it's because Pepe & the players can see we've taken to the guy that it's got an extra 10% out of everybody. I feared for us after Cardiff scored that last ditch equaliser, but after Sunderland lost last Monday & Norwich getting dragged back into it, I'm a lot more hopeful now.
I'm a big fan of Yacob & Billy Jones but the same 11 that started at Norwich have earned the right to start on Saturday IMO.

elkiellis

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #147 on: April 08, 2014, 05:41:50 PM »
no chance only the top 7 teams have lost less games than us

Baggy nerd

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #148 on: April 12, 2014, 05:40:26 PM »
It seems likely that we will finish above Sunderland and Norwich now. Sunderland just have too many points to get and Norwich have a youth team manager taking on 4 of the best clubs in the country. Finding another one is difficult with Fulham and Cardiff finding some form. However our goal difference is superior and we have a game in hand on these teams. If we get one more win Cardiff will need 8 points from their last 4 games so that could be enough. Difficult to win games when you cannot defend though! All in all we still look likely to just do it but I wouldn't put money on it.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #149 on: April 12, 2014, 05:48:09 PM »
We should stay up but have obviously thrown to many games away this season. Our goal difference is better than all below us and we have a game in hand over Norwich, Fulham and Cardiff. If Sunderland win their game in hand over us they are still 4 points behind us! Keep the faith!