Author Topic: Salomon Rondon joins Dalian Yifang  (Read 1123521 times)

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

Re: Salomon Rondon
« Reply #1475 on: February 13, 2017, 08:00:20 PM »
I like Rondon but maybe a break would help , i certainly feel HRK has been a bit unlucky not to start in recent weeks.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 08:05:42 PM by Dexy »
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1476 on: February 13, 2017, 08:01:26 PM »
It's Olssons time to shine.  8)
the regime don't like it man

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1477 on: February 13, 2017, 08:42:23 PM »
Pity Brown Ideye couldn't cut it here, he's bang on form this season with 13 goals from 17 matches so far. Different playing in Greece to the Prem but anyone think we should've given him a bit longer to settle or did we see best he was capable of.

botters

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1478 on: February 13, 2017, 08:51:07 PM »
Pity Brown Ideye couldn't cut it here, he's bang on form this season with 13 goals from 17 matches so far. Different playing in Greece to the Prem but anyone think we should've given him a bit longer to settle or did we see best he was capable of.

I think Ideye is a better more natural finisher than Rondon is but he always appeared too lightweight for premier league football.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1479 on: February 13, 2017, 09:14:32 PM »
I think we'd be lightweight without him. He's got 2 weeks until the next game and against Bournemouth and Palace we just need him doing what he did against Stoke ...occupying both central defenders and making space for others.

Question - why does he get 3 headers in 13 minutes v Swansea and not much of a sniff at anything similar since ? Was it Swansea's defence at the time or good crosses hit early before defenders can crowd Rondon out of it ?

Jimmy

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1480 on: February 13, 2017, 09:19:03 PM »
I think we'd be lightweight without him. He's got 2 weeks until the next game and against Bournemouth and Palace we just need him doing what he did against Stoke ...occupying both central defenders and making space for others.

Question - why does he get 3 headers in 13 minutes v Swansea and not much of a sniff at anything similar since ? Was it Swansea's defence at the time or good crosses hit early before defenders can crowd Rondon out of it ?

We definitely havent been swinging early balls in quite as much as we did in that game. That should be our route one form of attack.

botters

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1481 on: February 13, 2017, 09:24:54 PM »
Yes I think that is the answer with Rondon get the crosses in early. I think Pulis will reshuffle for the Bournemouth game and put Evans back alongside McCauley and have Dawson RB and Nyom LB and push Brunt further up the field.

botters

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1482 on: February 13, 2017, 09:29:39 PM »
Although in saying that Brunt played left back against Swansea and had two assists for Rondon's headers. I think the early ball in before the defenders can smother Rondon is the key to him scoring.

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1483 on: February 14, 2017, 12:55:13 AM »
I would like to see us play more balls into the box for him to get on to instead of him putting in crosses or receiving the ball with his back to goal . 

mateinone

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1484 on: February 14, 2017, 04:20:11 AM »
I think Rondon is and always has been a gun. Will freshen up the next couple of games but I think you stick with someone like Rondon through lean periods as he still works as hard as ever and makes life difficult for the defenders

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1485 on: February 14, 2017, 10:29:23 PM »
I think Rondon is and always has been a gun. Will freshen up the next couple of games but I think you stick with someone like Rondon through lean periods as he still works as hard as ever and makes life difficult for the defenders
Absolutely right. The guy has led our attack superbly for 18 months or more, sometimes virtually single handedly. He plays week in week out and nearly always causes huge problems for opposition defenses. We should appreciate him for his value to the team instead of focussing on his limitations. He may not score shed loads but he draws defenders out of position, thereby creating space for others to exploit. He is a superb asset for us.

Baggiee_Boyy_Benn

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1486 on: February 14, 2017, 10:57:36 PM »
Puzzled to how people can even question Rondons quality..... lucky to have him  :o

barnestormer

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1487 on: February 14, 2017, 11:02:51 PM »
still better than codger at the vile ;D

wba13

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1488 on: February 14, 2017, 11:11:16 PM »
Of his type one of the best in premiership a great target man as some have said if he scored loads of goals he probably would not be here.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1489 on: February 15, 2017, 06:37:12 AM »
still better than codger at the vile ;D

I'd take Kodjia in a flash.
I've said in earlier posts I wouldn't mind if we raided both our near neighbours at the end of the season for Kodjia and Coasta
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1490 on: February 15, 2017, 06:39:42 AM »
I'd take Kodjia in a flash.
I've said in earlier posts I wouldn't mind if we raided both our near neighbours at the end of the season for Kodjia and Coasta

Totally agree with you - provided it was in a sizeable discount on the £15m they paid for Kodjia.  Costa at £12m - yes please.

wba13

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1491 on: February 15, 2017, 11:03:25 AM »
why do some fans want player`s from the lower reaches of the Championship Don`t you think if they were good enough for the Premiership they would have been snapped up by now Clubs had the chance in the Summer and in January and guess what no takers Just look at McCormack fans were calling for us to buy him and look at him now.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1492 on: February 15, 2017, 11:20:25 AM »
why do some fans want player`s from the lower reaches of the Championship Don`t you think if they were good enough for the Premiership they would have been snapped up by now Clubs had the chance in the Summer and in January and guess what no takers Just look at McCormack fans were calling for us to buy him and look at him now.

Yes chyte at vela and 1 for 1 at Forest.
The reason they go  to Championship clubs is for game time, something they probably wouldn't get at a lot of Premiership sides.
We are not in the market to buy £20m plus players so have to hope to pull out a rabbit from the Championship.
Just remind me where Phillips, Nyom, Dawson, McAuley, & Foster came from?

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1493 on: February 15, 2017, 11:21:03 AM »
Can we stick to talking about Rondon please. Chat about players from other teams can be done in the relevant thread.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1494 on: February 15, 2017, 11:23:32 AM »
Can we stick to talking about Rondon please. Chat about players from other teams can be done in the relevant thread.

It is about Rondon.
Comparing Rondon to other players m'lud.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1495 on: February 15, 2017, 12:13:27 PM »
It is about Rondon.
Comparing Rondon to other players m'lud.

Very tenuous, but I'll concede your point.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1496 on: February 15, 2017, 12:28:12 PM »
Ultimately striker is a position in need of some serious investment come the summer as the only alternative currently is HRK who, with great credit to him for his Southampton strike, is not good enough for this level.

wba13

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1497 on: February 15, 2017, 01:35:06 PM »
Get your point tuam but my point is that we have evolved since the summer transfer market and are starting to look at players with a better pedigree than lower reach Chumpionship players remember we have sent out on loan  Poco, MaManaman, and Gardner to teams in the top half of the Chumpionship who wer`nt good enough for us. so if looking for a striker to supplement Rondon we must be looking at better than the championship.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 01:38:32 PM by wba13 »

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1498 on: February 15, 2017, 01:39:14 PM »
Ultimately striker is a position in need of some serious investment come the summer as the only alternative currently is HRK who, with great credit to him for his Southampton strike, is not good enough for this level.

Pulis obviously doesn't rate HRK either as he ends up coming on to take up a wide position more often than not. The thing with Rondon is that he does suit our style. We'd need another striker in a similar mould - big and strong, but still relatively quick and able to beat a man.

I can't see us playing with two strikers, so that limits the market we're looking in to another similar to Rondon, and probably happy to not be first choice every week

Mikkyk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1499 on: February 15, 2017, 01:45:53 PM »
Pulis obviously doesn't rate HRK either as he ends up coming on to take up a wide position more often than not. The thing with Rondon is that he does suit our style. We'd need another striker in a similar mould - big and strong, but still relatively quick and able to beat a man.

I can't see us playing with two strikers, so that limits the market we're looking in to another similar to Rondon, and probably happy to not be first choice every week

Would a new striker be not first choice every week though?

I think progression would be a top class striker pushing Rondon down to second choice and HRK third.