Author Topic: Slaven Bilic  (Read 670678 times)

wbako

• Senior Baggie

Re: Slaven Bilic Sacked
« Reply #4025 on: December 18, 2020, 09:51:24 PM »
Really classy comments from Slav after his departure

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12165283/slaven-bilic-former-west-brom-boss-opens-up-on-sacking-and-honour-of-managing-club

Top man.

I look back fondly on his time in charge and am glad that our club had such a fantastic leader at the helm, albeit too briefly.

So much class - the complete opposite of those we are stuck with now.

All time favourite player: Jan Kozak

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4026 on: December 19, 2020, 12:24:51 AM »
Billic tried to play the game the right way. He brought some quality players into the club and I have enjoyed watching Pereira, Diangana, Krovinovic and Robinson and what they have brought in terms of entertainment. Just think he may have got it wrong with Grant, but we know he wanted Watkins and Eze but they were outside of his budget.  Obvioulsy with the step up to the Prem league, the team hasn't had quite enough quality to control matches through to the final minute, but then we are playing clubs who have had alot more in their budget and on the bench.

As a person, Bilic is top notch. I heard him say how he chose West Brom out of a small group of clubs he wanted to manage. He showed that passion for the club on the touchline.In his last interview he called us a unique club and wished us well which I believe was genuine. 
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

baggiedom

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #4027 on: December 19, 2020, 08:21:08 AM »
Top bloke slav most of it nice while lasted also conducted himself in proper manner, hopefully be back at hawthorns one day sure will get good reception.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4028 on: December 19, 2020, 08:39:02 AM »
Billic tried to play the game the right way. He brought some quality players into the club and I have enjoyed watching Pereira, Diangana, Krovinovic and Robinson and what they have brought in terms of entertainment. Just think he may have got it wrong with Grant, but we know he wanted Watkins and Eze but they were outside of his budget.  Obvioulsy with the step up to the Prem league, the team hasn't had quite enough quality to control matches through to the final minute, but then we are playing clubs who have had alot more in their budget and on the bench.

As a person, Bilic is top notch. I heard him say how he chose West Brom out of a small group of clubs he wanted to manage. He showed that passion for the club on the touchline.In his last interview he called us a unique club and wished us well which I believe was genuine.
For me I think he got it wrong with Grady, was already showing signs of being a bit brittle in the champ and the fee was high (relative for us) ,had some great games in the champ but I have a horrible feeling itwon’t happen for him....grant I think will play in to the role .
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4029 on: December 21, 2020, 09:00:22 AM »
Slaven Bilic was running at 0.54 pts per match from 13.

Sam Allardyce is soon to be at 0.00 from 2.   

To justify sacking the previous boss, we should be expecting him to at least match that figure.

Under SB we should have been averaging around 1.00 as it was about 6pts snatched away from VAR.

Can you see players signed and integrated before 20 Jan?  I can't as most players are signed at the tail end of the window.

With 5 more league games between now and 20 Jan if SA attains 4 pts or less you can argue we are down anyway, so what's the point of opening the chequebook to any large extent?

To get 4pts from the next 5, we have to beat either Leeds or Arsenal at home, I don't fancy us at Liverpool, Dingles or WHU.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #4030 on: December 21, 2020, 09:11:46 AM »
Slaven Bilic was running at 0.54 pts per match from 13.

Sam Allardyce is soon to be at 0.00 from 2. 

To justify sacking the previous boss, we should be expecting him to at least match that figure.

Under SB we should have been averaging around 1.00 as it was about 6pts snatched away from VAR.

Can you see players signed and integrated before 20 Jan?  I can't as most players are signed at the tail end of the window.

With 5 more league games between now and 20 Jan if SA attains 4 pts or less you can argue we are down anyway, so what's the point of opening the chequebook to any large extent?

To get 4pts from the next 5, we have to beat either Leeds or Arsenal at home, I don't fancy us at Liverpool, Dingles or WHU.

then let's judge him after 13 games.

VAR hasn't snatched any points from us. We've been on the end of some awful decisions but the games still might have ended how they did. Under new handball rules VAR has been correct on some of them (Chelsea, Man Utd's penalty) it's not VAR that is always to blame but stupid changes to laws.
The only things I'd say VAR has got wrong was the non penalty against Man Utd and potentially the sending off of Pereira.
Villa should have had a player sent off last night and the goalkeeper should have been booked for handball but I doubt either decision would have changed the outcome of the game.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4031 on: December 21, 2020, 09:36:01 AM »

VAR hasn't snatched any points from us. We've been on the end of some awful decisions but the games still might have ended how they did. Under new handball rules VAR has been correct on some of them (Chelsea, Man Utd's penalty) it's not VAR that is always to blame but stupid changes to laws.
The only things I'd say VAR has got wrong was the non penalty against Man Utd and potentially the sending off of Pereira.
Villa should have had a player sent off last night and the goalkeeper should have been booked for handball but I doubt either decision would have changed the outcome of the game.

I can't believe what I've just read.  So you're saying all the injustice under Slaven was all OK and we shouldn't say otherwise.

I'll stick my neck out after 13 games of Allardyce, we will achieve no more than 7pts more.  So that's 14pts or less after 26 games.

Bilic's defensive record of 2.00 goals.conceded per game is already superior to Allardyce's 3.00.

Goof luck at Anfield Sam, you'll need it.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #4032 on: December 21, 2020, 09:54:01 AM »
I can't believe what I've just read.  So you're saying all the injustice under Slaven was all OK and we shouldn't say otherwise.

I'll stick my neck out after 13 games of Allardyce, we will achieve no more than 7pts more.  So that's 14pts or less after 26 games.

Bilic's defensive record of 2.00 goals.conceded per game is already superior to Allardyce's 3.00.

Goof luck at Anfield Sam, you'll need it.

Think you need to read my post again, I clearly said some of the VAR decisions where wrong. You are blaming everything on VAR which is wrong.
The Chelsea handball was correct under new handball rules, the penalty for Man Utd was also correct under new handball rules. All VAR was doing was upholding the new rules the fault lies with the stupid new rules in those cases not VAR.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4033 on: December 21, 2020, 10:27:54 AM »

It was a clear foul on Gallagher in the build up to Man Utd's goal - the goal should never have been awarded. 

Even the Chelsea was dubious as I'd argue we never had control of the ball - the hurried clearance was instigated by the handball that kept it in play.  Put it this way - if it had been ruled no goal because of the handball I don't think people would have been saying "that's the wrong decision".

Then there's Hause's last night that should have been a straight red (not that it would have affected the result that one due to how we were playing).

It's not trying to entirely blame VAR - but there's been a few decisions that haven't gone our way and they've been very marginal calls that have tended to not go in our favour.  If they'd have gone against a bigger club there would have been far more outcry at the results of those decisions.  And if they'd have gone in our favour we could easily have been 6+ pts better off now and in a much better position.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 10:33:45 AM by boinging_along »

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4034 on: December 21, 2020, 10:36:00 AM »
Think you need to read my post again, I clearly said some of the VAR decisions where wrong. You are blaming everything on VAR which is wrong.
The Chelsea handball was correct under new handball rules, the penalty for Man Utd was also correct under new handball rules. All VAR was doing was upholding the new rules the fault lies with the stupid new rules in those cases not VAR.

Where have I blamed everything on VAR?  I continually highlight the weaknesses in the team whether that's under Bilic, Allardyce or anyone else.

It suits your argument for sacking Bilic to say he deserved 7pts and no more from VAR.

I'll back Allardyce (in spite of the indescretion with taking bungs/being a rumoured dingle) if he plays football the right way.  Lumping it forward will make us even worse in my view.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #4035 on: December 21, 2020, 10:39:04 AM »
It was a clear foul on Gallagher in the build up to Man Utd's goal - the goal should never have been awarded. 

Even the Chelsea was dubious as I'd argue we never had control of the ball - the hurried clearance was instigated by the handball that kept it in play.  Put it this way - if it had been ruled no goal because of the handball I don't think people would have been saying "that's the wrong decision".

I agree that it was a foul on Gallagher however what you or I think is irrelevant; the ref didn't think it was a foul. The penalty was given for handball which was the right decision (under the rules).

The Chelsea handball was deemed okay because it didn't lead directly to a goal, HRK had an opportunity to clear it and then the ball was played back in, and SJ pushed it out to the feet of Abraham. It's the rule change that has allowed the goal nothing to do with VAR.

I think the handball against Furlong was wrong as he had turned his back and wasn't aware of the flight of the ball and therefore wasn't seeking an advantage and I also think the Chelsea player gained an advantage by the ball hitting his hand rather than going out of play but those facts don't have any relevance under the new handball rules.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #4036 on: December 21, 2020, 10:48:00 AM »
Where have I blamed everything on VAR?  I continually highlight the weaknesses in the team whether that's under Bilic, Allardyce or anyone else.

It suits your argument for sacking Bilic to say he deserved 7pts and no more from VAR.

I'll back Allardyce (in spite of the indescretion with taking bungs/being a rumoured dingle) if he plays football the right way.  Lumping it forward will make us even worse in my view.

I was referencing your numerous posts stating that Bilic would have 6-8 more points if VAR had got things right (which it mostly did).

I was gutted that we sacked Bilic but since the board were unlikely to give him funds to strengthen in January and given how poor we were generally playing, it was time for him to go. He just didn't seem to know the best 11 or how to change things around.

If we continue to play possession based football with very little end product whilst being weak defensively we are going to go down.

The uncomfortable fact is that we have to play a different way to have any chance of staying up, it's not going to be pretty but that's the simple truth.

If we want the owner to be able to sell we need to be in the Premier league next season.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4037 on: December 21, 2020, 10:57:35 AM »
I was referencing your numerous posts stating that Bilic would have 6-8 more points if VAR had got things right (which it mostly did).

I was gutted that we sacked Bilic but since the board were unlikely to give him funds to strengthen in January and given how poor we were generally playing, it was time for him to go. He just didn't seem to know the best 11 or how to change things around.

If we continue to play possession based football with very little end product whilst being weak defensively we are going to go down.

The uncomfortable fact is that we have to play a different way to have any chance of staying up, it's not going to be pretty but that's the simple truth.

If we want the owner to be able to sell we need to be in the Premier league next season.

Well its entirely valid we were due 6pts more, why do you reference 8pts?  6pts puts Bilic on 13 from 13, 1 pt per game and out of the bottom 3.  What are these poor performances, the heroic 1-1 at Man City?  Or the 1-5 v CP decided by the ref?

What the hell was that last night by the way, 35% possession and 1 shot in a Derby.  It was far worse than CP.

So if we lump it forward like a League 2 team we have a better chance of getting results, that's just nuts!

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #4038 on: December 21, 2020, 11:08:10 AM »
Well its entirely valid we were due 6pts more, why do you reference 8pts?  6pts puts Bilic on 13 from 13, 1 pt per game and out of the bottom 3.  What are these poor performances, the heroic 1-1 at Man City?  Or the 1-5 v CP decided by the ref?

What the hell was that last night by the way, 35% possession and 1 shot in a Derby.  It was far worse than CP.

So if we lump it forward like a League 2 team we have a better chance of getting results, that's just nuts!

It's not valid that we were due 6 more points at all, where are these 6 points coming from?

The poor performances are Leicester, Soton, Fulham, Burnley, 1st half against Brighton, 2nd half against Palace.

What is nuts is that you seem to think we have less chance of staying up being more defensively sound (which is what I've said, I've not mentioned lumping it like a league 2 side) than if we continue with possession based no end product football.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4039 on: December 21, 2020, 11:40:25 AM »
It's not valid that we were due 6 more points at all, where are these 6 points coming from?

The poor performances are Leicester, Soton, Fulham, Burnley, 1st half against Brighton, 2nd half against Palace.

What is nuts is that you seem to think we have less chance of staying up being more defensively sound (which is what I've said, I've not mentioned lumping it like a league 2 side) than if we continue with possession based no end product football.

You're saying Leicester was a bad performance, lol.  2-5 at Man City and 0-2 at Tottenham.  Let Bilic off on that one.

I like how you mentioned Brighton 1at half but not 2nd half!  Classic instance of game if 2 halves, a draw about right.  Let Bilic off.

CP totally ruined by VAR, why criticise that game when we were clearly sinned against?

Southampton are a.very good side.

What's clear was that last night was the worst display all season.

I don't think you are an Albion fan with this blindness.VAR.  If you want it your way it should be 10pts from 13 if we.split the difference, enough to be out of the bottom 3. 

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #4040 on: December 21, 2020, 11:54:36 AM »
You're saying Leicester was a bad performance, lol.  2-5 at Man City and 0-2 at Tottenham.  Let Bilic off on that one.

I like how you mentioned Brighton 1at half but not 2nd half!  Classic instance of game if 2 halves, a draw about right.  Let Bilic off.

CP totally ruined by VAR, why criticise that game when we were clearly sinned against?

Southampton are a.very good side.

What's clear was that last night was the worst display all season.

I don't think you are an Albion fan with this blindness.VAR.  If you want it your way it should be 10pts from 13 if we.split the difference, enough to be out of the bottom 3.

It was a poor performance against Leicester, and what's them beating Man City and Spurs got to do with that?
 I didn't mention 2nd half against Brighton because you asked me to show poor performances!  The fact we played well in the 2nd half doesn't alter the fact it was poor first half (you even acknowledge it was a game of 2 halves!)

Against Palace we played okay for the remainder of the first half after Pereira's red card but in the 2nd half we capitulated, yes the red card played a part but the performance was just dire.

Soton may be a very good side but that still doesn't deny how poor we were.

Last night was dreadful, poor 1st goal, Livermore being reckless, poor performances all over the park, not sure that any of those things have anything to do with a change of manager as poor performances have been happening numerous times this season.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 12:14:09 PM by Hull Baggie »

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4041 on: December 21, 2020, 12:04:05 PM »
It was a poor performance against Leicester, and what's them beating Man City and Spurs got to do with that?
 I didn't mention 2nd half against Brighton because you asked me to show poor performances!  The fact we played well in the 2nd half doesn't alter the fact it was poor first half (you even acknowledge it was a game of 2 halves!)

Against Palace we played okay for the remainder of the first half after Pereira's red card but in the 2nd half we capitulated, yes the red card played a part but the performance was just dire.

Soton may be a very good side but that still doesn't deny how poor we were.

Last night was dreadful, poor 1st goal, Livermore being reckless, poor performances all over the park, not sure that any of those things have anything to do with a change of manager as poor performances have been happening numerous times this season.

Mate, frankly your expectations are ridiculous with the money handed over by the Board.  We deserve to go down with such limited funds, regardless of Manager.

I think we'll struggle under Allardyce but that's my opinion.  I'm not confident of beating either Leeds or Arsenal. And without a win by then we.are down before SA canfet his hands on any money.  We basically got in Allardyce for a new Manager bounce.  On the evidence of last night, it already looks bleak.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 12:14:36 PM by Hull Baggie »

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4042 on: December 21, 2020, 12:10:56 PM »
Mate, frankly your expectations are ridiculous with the money handed over by the Board.  We deserve to go down with such limited funds, regardless of Manager.

I think we'll struggle under Allardyce but that's my opinion.  I'm not confident of beating either Leeds or Arsenal. And without a win by then we.are down before SA canfet his hands on any money.  We basically got in Allardyce for a new Manager bounce.  On the evidence of last night, it already looks bleak.
a dream team combo of Klopp and Pep with Mourinho as defence coach wouldn't keep this lot up, disinterested owner is our main problem and until he's out of club us fans will suffer.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 01:11:38 PM by MarkW »

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #4043 on: December 21, 2020, 12:13:22 PM »

I expect us to be in a relegation battle, I expected it at the start of the season. How is that ridiculous?
 I don't expect Allardyce to turn it round but I think he could if he is backed by the board in January (something that Bilic wasn't going to be).

Having an experienced manager like Allardyce gives us more chance of staying up than if we'd kept Bilic in charge.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4044 on: December 21, 2020, 01:08:04 PM »
I expect us to be in a relegation battle, I expected it at the start of the season. How is that ridiculous?
 I don't expect Allardyce to turn it round but I think he could if he is backed by the board in January (something that Bilic wasn't going to be).

Having an experienced manager like Allardyce gives us more chance of staying up than if we'd kept Bilic in charge.

We were in a relation battle under Bilic, so the problem is where?  What guarantees are we given by appointing Allardyce?  I'd say no guarantees.  Any signings by Allardyce will take to February at the earliest to integrate. It could be too late by then.  If Allardyce is all he is cracked up to be he will be squeezing out extra points from now.  Sorry just don't think he can.

OhBilics

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #4045 on: December 21, 2020, 02:15:43 PM »
It's not trying to entirely blame VAR - but there's been a few decisions that haven't gone our way and they've been very marginal calls that have tended to not go in our favour.

Given we're a fairly poor team by PL standards, we make few chances. If we get denied one chance per game by VAR or bad decision making by officials, that might be a third (I'm plucking numbers out of the air, just trying to illustrate a point) of the chances we get in a game. A bad decision for us is far worse than a bad decision for a top, established, club.
#BOGOLO

PHP developer for hire. Apply within.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #4046 on: December 21, 2020, 04:48:35 PM »
Time to reflect. Bilic's biggest undoing was signing players that would fit a 4231 and then switching to 541/343 with the full backs in the 11 and 3 centre backs. Were were suddenly out of shape, unbalanced and then he kept chopping and changing when the team was barely new and should have just continued in the shape of last season.

Played right-footed players at left back.

No Pereira in the middle. Diangana in, Diangana out. Robinson in, Robinson out.

If he kept it simple, and players did the basics we could have gone on from there.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #4047 on: December 21, 2020, 04:54:58 PM »
Time to reflect. Bilic's biggest undoing was signing players that would fit a 4231 and then switching to 541/343 with the full backs in the 11 and 3 centre backs. Were were suddenly out of shape, unbalanced and then he kept chopping and changing when the team was barely new and should have just continued in the shape of last season.

If he kept it simple, and players did the basics we could have gone on from there.

Agreed mate. He never settled on a formation, purchased players from last season that excelled in a 4231 and then changed the formation that doesn’t suit us or the players he purchased

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4048 on: December 21, 2020, 05:02:55 PM »

Fair summary Lewisant, sad to see him go but it wasn't working was it...  I dont blame him as I believe that he wanted other players but could not get them due to money. It would have been nice to see who else he would have bought to the club.
MAGA!

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #4049 on: December 21, 2020, 05:33:16 PM »
I have no complaint about the sacking as I think the form towards the end of last season was not good enough and maybe a victim of his own success with the early part of last season and it is a results business however the manner it was done was unprofessional and totally disrespectful to Bilic and his staff.

As for the signings Dowling is also guilty here so its not just on Bilic, yes he chased and chased Grant and Krovinovic who have not come off but reports are that Button, Kipre and the permanent deal for Diangana were not ones he favoured but the main man always carries the can.

I wish him well in the future and he did for a spell reunite the fanbase which yet again due to to poor management from those at the top is as split as it was a few years ago.