Author Topic: 3 Mar 2020 Albion 2 Newcastle Utd 3 (FA Cup Round 5)  (Read 86380 times)

halifax_baggie

• Senior Baggie

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #500 on: March 03, 2020, 10:12:51 PM »
Apart from Brunt & Barry giving the second goal away and out "saviour" goalkeeper dropping the ball to give Newcastle a 3 goal lead, thereafter we created enough chances to have got a draw at least.

Kyle Edwards is at least direct even if he loses the ball occasionally and Krov changed the games dynamics when he came on

Disappointed with the team we put out but not with the fight back in the second half.

California Dreaming

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #501 on: March 03, 2020, 10:13:55 PM »
Given where we are this season I don't blame Slav for the starting line up, however it definitely cost us. I do think he should have changed it at half time though and it was a sad way to say goodbye, surely, to Chris Brunt.
Harper, Edwards, Phillips, Krov and Bartley looked ok, Gibbs, O'Shea and Furlong  improved in the 2nd half after an awful first 45 and Zohore offered much more than Austin.

TiptonThrostle

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #502 on: March 03, 2020, 10:13:58 PM »
Complete embarrassment I’m sorry.

To book a night shift off work to watch that rubbish.

WHY put 10 men behind the ball first half against a team that hasn’t scored for 6 games ????

We was so deep and to play 3 in Cm when 2 are old codjers and the other never wants to really work was a disaster waiting to happen.

I appreciate league is important but make 4/5 changes when we had a great opportunity not 9.

Abysmal and so angry.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #503 on: March 03, 2020, 10:15:01 PM »
Exactly so may as well just opt out, or make it free to enter. Don't charge fans of 40 years to watch a game that you don't want to win.

You can't opt out. League membership includes being obliged to play in all cups asked of you.

Also cup game revenue is split down the middle so the other teams would have something to say.

baggies_24

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #504 on: March 03, 2020, 10:17:10 PM »
A good wake up call for Slav, Dowling & Jenkins tonight a good chunk of that starting 11 needs to be shifted on as they aren’t at the level needed to compete in the Premier League if we get there. I know it was a reserve team against a full strength Newcastle team but Bond, Bartley, maybe Gibbs, Brunt, Barry & Austin not good enough and need to be replaced with better quality if we go up.

Krov completely changed us he’s certainly someone I hope we can get a deal done for him although if Benfica demand north of £10 m I can’t see us paying it unless we can do another loan deal with a view to a permanent if we stay up (again provided we go up). Thought Harper played well especially having to do the work of 2 with Brunt & Barry behind him. Edwards looked threatening just needs to be a little bit more consistent feel he needs a loan away next season with a championship club where he is going to play week in week out.

Disappointing to go out of the cup focus on the league now Saturday is a big game we really need the 3 to stop another slide happening and keeping distance to 3rd.

fatboy_coach

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #505 on: March 03, 2020, 10:18:13 PM »
Pretty much this. Barry and Brunt were awful, looked like some heart was lost from them as well as speed.

Edwards is a mixed bag.

Gibbs and Harper were good but shot by the end.

Krov was superb. Credit to Phillips too.

Bond, wow, awful.

Gayle gave us a chance.

He really looked like he didn't want to try to score against us!

Gutted with the result but I understand why we started with that XI. Edwards, Big Ken and Harper shows we have options outside of the usual league XI. Nice to see Gibbs get a good 90 mins under his belt.

AbbeymeadBaggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #506 on: March 03, 2020, 10:19:59 PM »
I'm sorry Tipton Baggie that you feel so bad. That's the reality. False dreams.

I and my son watched on TV and at 0-3 felt bad but laughed our socks off when chance after chance was wasted with a 2nd 11.

OUR 1st 11 WILL PAN THEM !!!

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #507 on: March 03, 2020, 10:21:51 PM »
There are fans who are 55 who have never seen Albion play in a cup final, in that time there have been 50+ teams who have made one. Had a great chance to make the quarters here and basically threw it in the first half, start to question what’s the point.

As someone else has said, this year our focus is on getting to the premierleague but then when we do get there the focus is on staying up and another second team gets knocked out. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #508 on: March 03, 2020, 10:22:37 PM »

You can't opt out. League membership includes being obliged to play in all cups asked of you.

Also cup game revenue is split down the middle so the other teams would have something to say.
I know all that, I was being facetious not literal.
What I will do though is keep my money in my pocket next year.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #509 on: March 03, 2020, 10:24:38 PM »
Ahh my bad.

I don't blame you mate. I did that the last few years when they didn't seem arsed about having us as a top flight club. Sadly its the only way we can register our unhappiness really.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #510 on: March 03, 2020, 10:25:54 PM »
Why did we even bother, may as well just not bother entering the cups next year, just admit that, as a club, we don't care about anything but Prem money and the fans are irrelevant.
Ipswich away under RDM showed that, but fans find it impossible to accept
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #511 on: March 03, 2020, 10:30:41 PM »
They were terrible and we could have won that had it not been for the team selection. What this performance told us:

- Brunt and Barry are done. Arguably Austin too.
- Edwards worth holding on to.
- Phillips not done yet - he surprised me.
- Krov was absolutely outstanding.

Love Slav but he lost us this game. Could have been in the quarter final.

Nail on the head. Brunt a wide man auxiliary full back never a centre midfielder. Doesnt fit the billic system shame it has petered out for him this way.

Barry done. I think you are right about Austin. He is a breed of striker that doesnt exist any more. He doesnt fit the 1 up top we utilise.

Edward's has something a turn of pace he can shoot xross on both feet. Still raw but definitely improving tie him down get him out in championship on loan again next year he might yet make the grade

Krovonovic contender for man of match despite only playing the last 30 minutes. You wonder if getting him on at the half would have just been enough for us.

Zohore decent hold up play runs channels made 1 scored 1 worth his spot on the bench on the weekend he offers more in this system than austin.

Oshea showed he can play cb also.

Too little too late an opportunity wasted as they were a poor outfit. Hope we take the cups more serious if we get back to the top table
O Albion we love you

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

Re: Ticket Info & Requests
« Reply #512 on: March 03, 2020, 10:47:34 PM »
Had a great chance of getting into next round, Bilic has lost alot of my goodwill over his starting line up tonight and why he didn't change it at half time. Nothing but a win against Swansea and going up as champions will placate me really drunk.

saml30

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #513 on: March 03, 2020, 10:55:03 PM »
1. Hope I never have to see Barry ever again.

2. The young lads did alright

3. I’m never listening to anyone again who says Bond and Austin are better options than SJ and Zohore
Blue and White Barmy Army !!!

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #514 on: March 03, 2020, 10:57:51 PM »
Why is it beyond reason to do well in the league and the cup?
A day at Wembley in the 3rd Div play off final lasts longer in the memory than any league game, it's what it's all about for me, winning honours and getting to Wembley even semi finals are fantastic. I wouldn't swap the matches against Swansea, QPR Spurs and Ipswich for any premier league matches we've played in.
Didn't do Pompey.
Sad that so many fans will never get that chance now clubs don't take it serious.

We could've won that tonight with a more mobile midfield. Needed changing at half time. Phillips had his best game for months and Bartley looked assured.
Bond looked no better than Johnstone
Brunt and Barry are nowhere near whats required to get out this league,sad but they're finished at this level.
Gibbs will improve with matches.
Austin looked dreadful.
A full season on loan for Edwards and Harper would benefit them greatly.
Krov completely changed that game with his surging runs.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 10:59:32 PM by caravanc58 »

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #515 on: March 03, 2020, 10:59:51 PM »
Complete embarrassment I’m sorry.

To book a night shift off work to watch that rubbish.

WHY put 10 men behind the ball first half against a team that hasn’t scored for 6 games ????

We was so deep and to play 3 in Cm when 2 are old codjers and the other never wants to really work was a disaster waiting to happen.

I appreciate league is important but make 4/5 changes when we had a great opportunity not 9.

Abysmal and so angry.

Because without Livermore in his normal role we haven't got anyone who can start a high press so once the opposition has the ball at the back we have to retreat. Same problem as we had on Saturday.

The midfield lost us that game they were absolutely non existent first half. Barry has to retire he's finished he can't even get to ball two yards away from him now. Brunt cannot play in midfield unless he sits in the Sawyers role which he did late on tonight and looked a bit better. Harper shows the odd bit of skill but does nothing constructive. They destroyed our midfield until Krovinovic came on then things instantly improved but it was too late by then.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #516 on: March 03, 2020, 11:04:26 PM »
I expect to get some disapproval but this manager makes some awful decisions
Let’s all agree that hindsight is wonderful and not slate him for picking two donkeys in Cm and a cf who can’t run....after all there are some on here who may have made the same selections..
But
If we all agree that we have “rested players” can someone explain how in gods name we have tonight rested either of the RB’s that will start against Swansea, moreover how moving the one that was starting inside and watching his confidence ebb away?
Can someone then tell me that if he did want to win the match and rest players, what exactly the tactical genius was expecting Tulloch to achieve in 7 minutes

I keep hearing about Slav changing and impacting games, what I see are enforced changes that engineer a positive outcome.....

Thought Bartley, Harper and Edwards had good games, Phillips was ok , Krov was absolutely fantastic when he came on..
Bond had a bad game (except the Hollywood save down the smeth ) but please , let’s not do the “don’t moan about Johnstone “ rubbish.....bond could have let in 56 goals tonight, it doesn’t make Johnstone a good goalkeeper .

Tonight Kanu was made to look a galaxy ahead of our other striking options by not even playing

Funny game isn’t it
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #517 on: March 03, 2020, 11:08:23 PM »
Most of it has been said already. We don’t take the cup seriously and haven’t done so for years now. Felt almost embarrassed for Barry and Brunt. Both have been very good but simply no longer have it. Also abundantly clear why HRK plays up top ahead of Austin. The guy cannot control a football. At least the improvement in the second half made the shoreline look respectable.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #518 on: March 03, 2020, 11:10:26 PM »
And tonights match doesn't make Bond a poor keeper either.
It was obvious to me before halftime that our midfield was the problem,so if I could see it so could Slaven, why didn't he change it at half time?
Anyway I thought we played OK and when we are back to full strength on Saturday we will beat Swansea, glad to see gibbo back.

PartisanBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #519 on: March 03, 2020, 11:13:07 PM »
That was awful to watch tonight. I’m sat in the Woodman Corner and the atmosphere in the ground was rubbish. The Geordies tonight embarrassed us, both on and off the pitch. The hone form continues to trouble me.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #520 on: March 03, 2020, 11:18:08 PM »
And tonights match doesn't make Bond a poor keeper either.
It was obvious to me before halftime that our midfield was the problem,so if I could see it so could Slaven, why didn't he change it at half time?
Anyway I thought we played OK and when we are back to full strength on Saturday we will beat Swansea, glad to see gibbo back.
To quote the blues brothers
You....me....everybody....EVERYBODY.....
At 0-3 wouldn’t you just change it all and do something .....he worries me
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #521 on: March 03, 2020, 11:29:06 PM »
Played 6 fa cup matches and reached the semi final
Played 3 league cup matches
Played 8 UEFA cup matches and reached the quarter finals

Played 42 league matches and finished 3rd just 1 point of 2nd.
It can be done.

Black Country Pride

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #522 on: March 03, 2020, 11:40:57 PM »
That was awful to watch tonight. I’m sat in the Woodman Corner and the atmosphere in the ground was rubbish. The Geordies tonight embarrassed us, both on and off the pitch. The hone form continues to trouble me.

I don't think it was awful to watch at all. Two horrific errors aside we actually gave a fairly decent account of ourselves. From my perch standing at the back of the Brummie, I thought the Geordies were bang average on, and to my surprise, off the pitch (the super turnout notwithstanding). Sadly, even their support seems, just like ours, to have been thoroughly defanged by modern football.

webral

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #523 on: March 04, 2020, 12:07:32 AM »
Team understandable except for the Barry/Brunt combo, could have had a stronger bench and still kept things fresh for the weekend. Need to beat Swansea or we've thrown away a great opportunity of reaching QFs by playing a reserve team.

Bond 5 not convincing
Furlong 6 did ok
O'Shea 5 easily bullied, outpaced
Bartley 6 not bad
Gibbs 5 rusty, poor positioning
Barry 3 liability
Brunt 4 too slow
Harper 5 poor work rate
Phillips 7 played well got a goal
Edwards 7 caused them problems
Austin 5 not a lone striker
Krovinovic 8 motm changed the game
Zohore 7 goal and slight improvement on Austin
Tulloch 5 not long enough to impact

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #524 on: March 04, 2020, 12:41:55 AM »
I expect to get some disapproval but this manager makes some awful decisions
Let’s all agree that hindsight is wonderful and not slate him for picking two donkeys in Cm and a cf who can’t run....after all there are some on here who may have made the same selections..
But
If we all agree that we have “rested players” can someone explain how in gods name we have tonight rested either of the RB’s that will start against Swansea, moreover how moving the one that was starting inside and watching his confidence ebb away?
Can someone then tell me that if he did want to win the match and rest players, what exactly the tactical genius was expecting Tulloch to achieve in 7 minutes

I keep hearing about Slav changing and impacting games, what I see are enforced changes that engineer a positive outcome.....

Thought Bartley, Harper and Edwards had good games, Phillips was ok , Krov was absolutely fantastic when he came on..
Bond had a bad game (except the Hollywood save down the smeth ) but please , let’s not do the “don’t moan about Johnstone “ rubbish.....bond could have let in 56 goals tonight, it doesn’t make Johnstone a good goalkeeper .

Tonight Kanu was made to look a galaxy ahead of our other striking options by not even playing

Funny game isn’t it
agree with you mate Bilic to blame for this debacle, who in their right mind would put two pensioners in middle of park. Talking nonsense after game as well.