Author Topic: Matty Phillips  (Read 409194 times)

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

Re: Matty Phillips
« Reply #775 on: January 01, 2017, 11:20:16 AM »
Must admit I couldn't really understand why we were pursuing Matt Phillips so strongly but I'm delighted that he is proving to be well worth the pursuit!   A top signing and I guess all credit to our scouting team although we seemed to have chased him for so long that I'm not sure which scouting team deserves the credit!

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #776 on: January 01, 2017, 11:28:01 AM »
Must admit I couldn't really understand why we were pursuing Matt Phillips so strongly but I'm delighted that he is proving to be well worth the pursuit!   A top signing and I guess all credit to our scouting team although we seemed to have chased him for so long that I'm not sure which scouting team deserves the credit!
Pulis driven I believe .
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #777 on: January 01, 2017, 11:28:52 AM »
A touch of Berahino on a good day, about a couple of Phillips finishes of late.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #778 on: January 01, 2017, 11:35:54 AM »
4 goals and 6 assists for him so far this season. Very good return and turned out to be a great signing

Foster#1

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #779 on: January 01, 2017, 12:08:41 PM »
Shows shy fans shouldn't judge till after 12 months

dont ask me to choose luv

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #780 on: January 01, 2017, 12:46:16 PM »
Shows shy fans shouldn't judge till after 12 months

What about confident fans?  ;D
Life is about using the whole box of crayons!

wolverhampton baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #781 on: January 01, 2017, 08:20:44 PM »
The quality of his finishing has pleasantly surprised me of late...I knew he could deliver a good cross/deadball but really cool when presented with a chance
Born and bred in Dudley

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #782 on: January 01, 2017, 08:35:06 PM »
He's been acknowledging Gerry Francis and Ben Garner for the extra stuff they do with him in training....both on the psychology front and technical stuff. TP wouldn't employ Francis if he was useless but still good to hear some actual praise for what he does.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #783 on: January 01, 2017, 08:58:24 PM »
He's been acknowledging Gerry Francis and Ben Garner for the extra stuff they do with him in training....both on the psychology front and technical stuff. TP wouldn't employ Francis if he was useless but still good to hear some actual praise for what he does.
Honestly forgot Francis was still with us, I thought he had packed up.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #784 on: January 01, 2017, 09:37:29 PM »
Honestly forgot Francis was still with us, I thought he had packed up.
Seems to be up in the stands for the games giving a different perspective no doubt.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #785 on: January 02, 2017, 05:01:24 PM »
2 more assists. Good game again. Is that 7 assists for the season? He's only 35 behind brunty but at this rate it wouldn't take long to overhaul.

What a signing he has proven to be. Offers so much more than sessengnon ever did
O Albion we love you

mateinone

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #786 on: January 02, 2017, 05:40:27 PM »
Not going to rewrite history and suggests I was jumping with joy when we signed him, but fair play to him, after a slow start he has been brilliant.

Would have to have very serious claims to being the recruit of the season (behind Zlatan and ...?)

Fantastic signing by Pulis

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #787 on: January 02, 2017, 05:45:28 PM »
Not going to rewrite history and suggests I was jumping with joy when we signed him, but fair play to him, after a slow start he has been brilliant.

Would have to have very serious claims to being the recruit of the season (behind Zlatan and ...?)

Fantastic signing by Pulis
opposite for me, championed his signing throughout the process, seen enough of him at Blackpool and Qpr to suggest he would improve us.

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #788 on: January 02, 2017, 05:47:54 PM »
He's the best winger we've had in the premier, actually has an end product unlike virtually every other winger we've had, but he's also very skillful, technically talented, and puts in a great shift too.

Absolute bargain in this day and age.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #789 on: January 02, 2017, 06:57:09 PM »
Beat his man on a number of occasions today, and does quite often overall. But importantly has an end product to his game. That's now 8 assists and 4 goals for him this season. He's averaging nearly 2 shots per game too.

Also tracks back and works hard for the team, can see by how tired he is towards the end of games that he really puts a shift in and does the defensive work too. His set piece deliveries are also real quality, as shown today, really gets good pace on the ball and often finds his man.

Pulisisabaggie

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #790 on: January 02, 2017, 08:07:32 PM »
Matty player of the year so far does a little of everything.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #791 on: January 02, 2017, 08:25:40 PM »
Matty player of the year so far does a little of everything.

Between him and Yacob for me

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #792 on: January 02, 2017, 08:31:44 PM »
Between him and Yacob for me

Yacob for me so far he has been Mr Consistent all season.

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #793 on: January 02, 2017, 10:58:47 PM »
only kevin de Bruyne has better stats in goals and assists than Phillips so far this season in the prem. not a bad player to be second best to for £5.5m.

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #794 on: January 03, 2017, 07:22:04 PM »
He's been a brilliant signing for us. Sess who?
the regime don't like it man

KingKoren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #795 on: January 03, 2017, 07:58:55 PM »
Any player taking corners regularly for us is going to get a several extra assists to their name.

After a pretty slow start to his career he has really taken off. Amazing what a bit of confidence can do to a player.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #796 on: January 03, 2017, 10:35:14 PM »
Any player taking corners regularly for us is going to get a several extra assists to their name.

After a pretty slow start to his career he has really taken off. Amazing what a bit of confidence can do to a player.

To be fair he still has to put a decent ball in the box. Good enough to score from in fact. Which he does, very often and very well. It shouldn't be underestimated. There are a lot of corner takers in this league that haven't got nearly has many assists as Phillips. Ozil, Gradel, Willian, Fabregas, Petrol, Hazard, Puncheon, Miralles, Baines, Snodgrass, Milner, Silva, Rooney, Downing, Ward-prowse, Allen, Shaqiri, Ericsson, Lamela all take corners for their teams and aren't in the top 10 assists for the prem. Phillips is 2nd currently, and I think he has a lot more to his game too than just the corners. I good number of his assists are from open play too
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 10:54:29 PM by TheBrom »

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #797 on: January 04, 2017, 06:41:06 AM »
The fact that some of Phillips' assists come from corners doesn't detract from the stat. Phillip's plays for a team that doesn't have a lot of possession does not attack in numbers in open play therefore where do you think the goals are going to come from other than set pieces ? Equally if you don't have a bunch of six footers to aim at then you are probably not going to get as many assists from corners the quality of the ball might be the same but the outcome will be different.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #798 on: January 04, 2017, 09:18:54 AM »
The fact that some of Phillips' assists come from corners doesn't detract from the stat. Phillip's plays for a team that doesn't have a lot of possession does not attack in numbers in open play therefore where do you think the goals are going to come from other than set pieces ? Equally if you don't have a bunch of six footers to aim at then you are probably not going to get as many assists from corners the quality of the ball might be the same but the outcome will be different.

Spot on.  Another reason why Berahino just isn't a good fit.  Useless in the air for a striker.  Top quality crosses would be completely wasted on him.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #799 on: January 04, 2017, 01:41:06 PM »

16 of our 28 goals have come from open play, the other 12 are a mix of freekicks, corners and 1 penalty.