Author Topic: Next manager...  (Read 718260 times)

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Next manager...
« Reply #2675 on: May 27, 2019, 11:50:41 PM »
It ridiculous how this malais around a new manager continues, why take 2 weeks when they could have been done quicker as the like SJ and CH are out of work.

Clubs have released their retained lists and we are missing out on potential signings, same farce every year.

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2676 on: May 28, 2019, 03:33:51 AM »
I'm really eager to hear how the talks went yesterday. For me we need a big appointment to get the fans excited and to peak people's interest with a good knowledge of the foreign leagues so when it comes to replacing players we can do it well enough without breaking the bank on players in this country and its over inflated market. Its the hope that kills you.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2677 on: May 28, 2019, 03:52:40 AM »
It ridiculous how this malais around a new manager continues, why take 2 weeks when they could have been done quicker as the like SJ and CH are out of work.

Clubs have released their retained lists and we are missing out on potential signings, same farce every year.

I believe it's actually eighty days and counting overall as I type  :-X .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

BAGGIE5

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2678 on: May 28, 2019, 11:31:54 AM »
According to Dowling, it was end of this week they should be close to the two. The league will be competitive next year. Its a shame we won’t have Gayle because we would have stood a real chance. Think Fulham are certain to be about there. Others will be take a pick. We need to move quickly and allow new manager to breathe.

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2679 on: May 28, 2019, 12:59:56 PM »
I've seen a few posts to the effect that, Fulham excepted, there's not much competition this coming season but did anybody expect that Sheffield Utd would get automatic promotion?  It was down to a good manager and I thought Chris Wilder demonstrated his tactical nous when talking before the playoff yesterday.
We need a decent manager more than we need a prima donna player and that's where our spend should be.
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2680 on: May 28, 2019, 01:24:02 PM »
Carvahal is just been made manager of Rio ave. that’s another off the list.

Beefy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2681 on: May 28, 2019, 10:33:25 PM »
I'm afraid Bruno is off to Hamburg just something I'm picking up off twitter in German, saying he rejected English Division 2 and other jobs in favour of Hamburg ??

The English second division has probably canceled and in the evening paper HSV is canceled and in t..

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2682 on: May 28, 2019, 10:37:38 PM »
Championship looks poor next year, get Labbadia in and go for the title.

The championship is never poor and always has been and always will be a hard slog.

With the likes of O'Neil, Biesla and warnock there is no easy matches and the parachute payments the relegated clubs have there is nothing easy there.

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2683 on: May 28, 2019, 10:42:41 PM »
I'm afraid Bruno is off to Hamburg just something I'm picking up off twitter in German, saying he rejected English Division 2 and other jobs in favour of Hamburg ??

The English second division has probably canceled and in the evening paper HSV is canceled and in t..
Can someone pop round and see if this fella is ok. Hopefully he’s only fainted.  :D
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2684 on: May 28, 2019, 10:46:03 PM »

have you got a link?
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2685 on: May 28, 2019, 10:54:10 PM »

Strange as I thought Mirko Slomka was about to take over at Hamburg
It is not the taking part, but the winning that counts.

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2686 on: May 28, 2019, 10:58:14 PM »
Strange as I thought Mirko Slomka was about to take over at Hamburg

Although it may be Hannover he’s going to, can’t remember which one.
It is not the taking part, but the winning that counts.

tylerm

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2687 on: May 28, 2019, 11:01:44 PM »
This farce is taking ages as per normal.
Is it just me thinking that we pretend to be aiming high-to give the impression we are ambitious so that we end up with all the normal excuses why it didn’t happen
Welcome to the managers chair Michael Appleton - who apparently a lot of the directors wanted last season.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2688 on: May 28, 2019, 11:18:18 PM »
German media suggest that Labbadia is not willing to drop into the 2nd tier of GERMAN football (where Hamburg play).

Very much still in the frame for us.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2689 on: May 29, 2019, 12:20:04 AM »
Although it may be Hannover he’s going to, can’t remember which one.
I'm actually in Hamburg now. More than one paper here say he's turned down the local club, even though his family are settled in the area. They are talking other names in connection with the Hamburger SV job.
Mirko Slomka is going to Hannover, been on SkySports Deutschland.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2690 on: May 29, 2019, 06:34:47 AM »
Any white smoke yet?
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2691 on: May 29, 2019, 07:42:45 AM »
Any white smoke yet?

Yes, but latest reports now indicate it was one of the security staff with a vape.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2692 on: May 29, 2019, 08:58:01 AM »
We are led to believe he was interviewed on Monday, nothing has come out in the media on if that was positive/negative etc.

As many posters have stated Dowling quoted by end of this week.

It still absolutely baffles me that after 3 months, the powers that be still don't really know who they want.

I will still put my head on the line and say that Appleton will be the next manager.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2693 on: May 29, 2019, 09:29:43 AM »
We are led to believe he was interviewed on Monday, nothing has come out in the media on if that was positive/negative etc.

As many posters have stated Dowling quoted by end of this week.

It still absolutely baffles me that after 3 months, the powers that be still don't really know who they want.

I will still put my head on the line and say that Appleton will be the next manager.

Or...

They had an idea who they wanted, but it depended on which division we were in next season.

And...

We haven’t yet landed our first choice and may not be able to do so.

And...

The club doesn’t go to the media until it has something to announce.

All of the above are possible of course, but I suspect you are right! 

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2694 on: May 29, 2019, 09:39:55 AM »
Or...

They had an idea who they wanted, but it depended on which division we were in next season.

And...

We haven’t yet landed our first choice and may not be able to do so.

And...

The club doesn’t go to the media until it has something to announce.

All of the above are possible of course, but I suspect you are right!

I believe the club spoke to Jokanovic whilst DM was here, got the impression they could tempt him into the job.

Acted quickly on getting rid of DM, then spoke to Jokanovic who changed the goalposts in terms of demands etc and priced himself out of the job. This then left the club scrambling for a new boss, struggled to really get excited by anyone and therefore gave it Shan until end of the season.

Since then, I honestly don't think the club really know what direction they want to go in. Hughton being sacked gave them another option but he's understood to be waiting for a premier league job (he will be waiting a while in my opinion).

Now its a case of making the job look appealing, it doesn't take a genius to work out we will be looking to shift some of the higher earners as its not affordable to keep them all here, then with the whole not being able to afford Gayle on top of possible a big rebuild on a limited budget, makes the job less attractive for an 'ambitious' manager.

There are plenty of good managers out there, and plenty of managers that with a bit of ambition we could probably get here, the likes of Van Bronckhorst, Labaddia could all see us as an attractive job if you could show them we are determined to get back to the premier league and offer them enough of a budget to make it happen by bringing in players who buy into their way of playing.

Sadly that doesn't seem to be the case, and for as long as Jenkins and such are at the club, I fully expect us to go with a solid but cheap appointment, which is why I cant see past Appleton being given the job after the club announce they did extensive interviews with numerous candidates, but the work Appleton did end of the season and the 'senior players' have really taken to him, that he has now been given the job.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2695 on: May 29, 2019, 10:06:30 AM »
I consider this period of the clubs history, threatens to be a seismic event, one way or the other, as a consequence it cannot be rushed into. Additionally, we have, since the Jereme Peace era, been fastidious in carrying out "due diligence" and nothing has changed in that as it is the right way to conduct business for clubs like Albion.

When considering the enormity of the task faced by Dowling and the Board, the size of which we as fans do not have a clue about, is it any wonder that it is taking so long. The constraints facing Dowling and the Board in rebooting the Albion must be as frustrating for them as it is for us. The difference is, they have to get it right no ands, ifs or buts, it has to be right this time or oblivion is what we could be facing. Making decisions in haste normally results in repenting at leisure.

Fans, understandably, are impatient, we are an integral element of the football industry that has been conditioned as the Premier League has evolved to demand instant results, success and outcomes on and off the field of play, a large amount of which benefits those making the most money from the game and us.

None of us fans knows what has been going on behind the scenes, we can only speculate and the majority of times we are well wide of the mark.

Patience, however, should be our byword, albeit sometimes impossible for football fans to embrace
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2696 on: May 29, 2019, 11:13:39 AM »
I believe the club spoke to Jokanovic whilst DM was here, got the impression they could tempt him into the job.

Acted quickly on getting rid of DM, then spoke to Jokanovic who changed the goalposts in terms of demands etc and priced himself out of the job. This then left the club scrambling for a new boss, struggled to really get excited by anyone and therefore gave it Shan until end of the season.

Since then, I honestly don't think the club really know what direction they want to go in. Hughton being sacked gave them another option but he's understood to be waiting for a premier league job (he will be waiting a while in my opinion).

Now its a case of making the job look appealing, it doesn't take a genius to work out we will be looking to shift some of the higher earners as its not affordable to keep them all here, then with the whole not being able to afford Gayle on top of possible a big rebuild on a limited budget, makes the job less attractive for an 'ambitious' manager.

There are plenty of good managers out there, and plenty of managers that with a bit of ambition we could probably get here, the likes of Van Bronckhorst, Labaddia could all see us as an attractive job if you could show them we are determined to get back to the premier league and offer them enough of a budget to make it happen by bringing in players who buy into their way of playing.

Sadly that doesn't seem to be the case, and for as long as Jenkins and such are at the club, I fully expect us to go with a solid but cheap appointment, which is why I cant see past Appleton being given the job after the club announce they did extensive interviews with numerous candidates, but the work Appleton did end of the season and the 'senior players' have really taken to him, that he has now been given the job.

Until last week, I thought Appleton was nailed on, (i still think he's in the frame), but with Labbadia now coming into the equation, & Steven Reid joining Clarke in the Scotland set-up, I think we're looking for a change in direction.

I suspect we may have had a conversation with David Wagner about our vacancy & that triggered some new ideas.
Also, we don't know what conversations the owners have had, as others have pointed out, Bundesliga is well respected in China.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

Maresca Was A Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2697 on: May 29, 2019, 11:28:02 AM »
Nothing the board have done in the last 3 or 4 years inspires me that they will make the right decision, regardless of cost. As ever it will come down to penny pinching, and then wondering why we don't achieve. It's time to get out of Poundland, and go look in some other shops. If we can pay bang average players 50k a week, why cant we spend good money on a good manager??

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2698 on: May 29, 2019, 12:33:47 PM »
I consider this period of the clubs history, threatens to be a seismic event, one way or the other, as a consequence it cannot be rushed into. Additionally, we have, since the Jereme Peace era, been fastidious in carrying out "due diligence" and nothing has changed in that as it is the right way to conduct business for clubs like Albion.

and that fastidious carrying out of due diligence has enabled us to appoint the likes of Pulis, Pardew, Big Dave, and Shan.
Works a treat doesn't it?
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2699 on: May 29, 2019, 01:47:40 PM »
and that fastidious carrying out of due diligence has enabled us to appoint the likes of Pulis, Pardew, Big Dave, and Shan.
Works a treat doesn't it?

You miss the point, it's not the system or the concept that is at fault, but those executing it
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.